closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: creating new entrance to driveway and gate question

Master

creating new entrance to driveway and gate question

We've got planning for a new garage/workshop and it possibly means creating a new entrance with double gates, I now nowadays you need to set the gates back from the road/highway 3 metres or so, but if you were installing electric gates would this still be applicable.
    I've contacted planning but no reply as of typing this, and quite frankly I'm not holding my breath for a reply anytime soon, lol.

You’re gate has to be 3m from the highway? What was on the plans submitted & approved?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    You’re gate has to be 3m from the highway? What was on the plans submitted & approved?
    Exactly this, I was just curious whether anyone had any experience of this being different if electric gates were installed.

My neighbour has just fitted electric sliding gates and they’re right at the join between his drive and pavement. They are not set back. It’s a pretty busy road he lives on too.

Journeyman
    It makes sense to set them back if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Exactly this, I was just curious whether anyone had any experience of this being different if electric gates were installed.
    Sorry, I’m confused, you have planning permission but not for the gates? A lot depends on the size of the gate, if it’s less than 1m you can place it up to your boundary line, any taller and you need permission, I’d you don’t some delightful neighbour will anonymously report you to the council -speaking from experience.

Journeyman
    I dont need permission if the gates open inwards.

Master
    Sorry, I’m confused, you have planning permission but not for the gates? A lot depends on the size of the gate, if it’s less than 1m you can place it up to your boundary line, any taller and you need permission, I’d you don’t some delightful neighbour will anonymously report you to the council -speaking from experience.
    We have full consent for garage/workshop and new opening, I was merely asking if electric gates might negate the 3mtr access area.

Master
    Whether the gates are electrically operated or not will not be the issue.
    Some local authorities will require you to be able to drive off the highway (whilst waiting for the gates to open) & some won’t.
    May also depend on the type of road that the gates are fronting - if not busy / main road or at the end of a cul de sac with very few passing cars then you should be ok not setting the gates back too far.
    If you are not getting an answer from the planners then take a look at the planning section of the LA website, there will be policies or design guides that may answer your question.
    You could also try & speak to the highways department as will more than likely be a requirement that they stipulate rather than the planning officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    We have full consent for garage/workshop and new opening, I was merely asking if electric gates might negate the 3mtr access area.
    No it won’t, if your approved plans show a gate 3m from the highway, you can’t move it forward 3m.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No it won’t, if your approved plans show a gate 3m from the highway, you can’t move it forward 3m.
    Planning can't insist you move an existing gate back 3m from the road if it's on the boundary (you can replace/repair the actual gates thats fine) but any work that alters/creates a new entrance, increases traffic or moves it closer they can.

In my parents' last property they could get planning permission to convert a barn into a 3 bed house, but not to amend or add the entrance to allow safe access to it therefore ended up having to just convert as an annexe.

Master
    The existing gates are right at the edge of the boundary, trouble is that's where the corner of the garage will be, so we have to create a different opening, we live in a very rural location and the lane the gates will front onto is used by two other properties, so very very quite.

Will a new dropped kerb be required?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Will a new dropped kerb be required?
    No, we have no pavements at all here, the lane is wide enough for just one vehicle

Journeyman

Access

Hi

If 'the lane' is highway then you will almost certainly need a consent from the Local Highway Authority to create the access and it will need to be to standards/specifications. Please note that the 'highway' can include verges eitherside of said carriageway. The LHA Highway records Team can confirm if the lane is highway.

If the lane is private, creating an access to standards/specifications cannot be insisted upon but is good practice, including adequate visibility splays for vehicles that would be using it.

Your planning application submission to the Local Planning Authority (LPA) is likely to have the Local Highway Authority (the LHA is (usually) a consultee on highways matters on planning applications, and in particular with regards to highway safety, new accesses etc.) I say usually as sometimes the LHA provide 'Standing Advice' for a Planning Officer to use a template..........

The approved plans provide the detail of what has been permitted.

From the description of the location I suspect that 'lightly trafficked' has meant that the gates can be set back 3m and hence only leave a small section of car accessing/egressing potentially obstructing the lane and other traffic. Obviously, if the adjacent highway was busier and/or had a footway fronting the site then it is entirely possible the gates would need be set-back 5.0m min. and open inwards only.

The isssue with electric gates is that if they fail on acces/egress then you are down to a manual over-ride arrangement (if available), during which period the adjacent highway or private lane is potentially obstructed - if narrow obstructing access along it............

Can chatter through if needs be.

L-K