closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Seadweller 126600 - Review

Grand Master

Rolex Seadweller 126600 - Review

Seadweller 43 - A Review

On The Wrist

By redesigning the case giving more curvature to the lugs and shortening them it made the watch more wearable on a smaller wrist whilst still satisfying those of us with a 7.25” larger wrist. Previous variants including the discontinued 116600 were a little unbalanced at 40mm and 15mm thickness creating a little wobble similar to those suffered by The PAM 243 etc. Whilst 43mm might initially put some owners off it makes the most of its extra 3mm and does wear proportionally better than one would expect and has more comfort and balance whilst at the same time offering a clear difference from The Submariner or SD4K in that its appearance, size and weight.

Dial

That extra 3mm adds some life in the dial, it creates space between markers and makes checking the time both day and night easier, its luminance at night seems more enhanced and bright, but perhaps the most unique and adorable feature has to be Single Red ‘SEA-DWELLER’ written on the dial, its been 50+ years since the Sea-dweller landed and its so right to see this true 50th Anniversary model celebrate that with the much coveted Red Writing. Who ever made that decision in 1967 was a genius or extremely lucky and whoever made it in 2017 knew exactly what they were doing with this modern classic.

As with all things Rolex there can be some quirks and the True 50th Mk1 Dials on the initial 2017 release had just ‘Swiss Made’ marking before the Rolex Coronet was added between the words in 2018. Possibly intentional to mark out the first release in the anniversary year or possibly a dial manufacturer mistake / change but regardless it will be a future quirk as with APH, Spider Dials, Flat 4s et all.

The One Eyed Monster

So on to that Cyclops. !!! Oh how the internet roared when the cyclops was revealed as a feature. A cyclops on a Sea-dweller ! Surely not, its the only watch without one and you can’t have a cyclops on a SD because it will pop off at depth wont it!!! Well whilst Rolex are tight lipped about this they are also quietly confident so lets assume it delivers and lets also assume they felt that whilst the DNA was not pure the reality is that it does a really good job of magnifying the date and given most people will never descend to the depths of the ocean but will be glancing at it daily it was the right thing to do in perfecting this models fit, form, and function. I personally think its the right thing to have on there. (If it was not Id have the chisel out and lop it off)

Bracelet

Oyster - The best all rounder, strong, comfortable and easily adjustable with the Fliplock divers extension allowing for an extra 26mm, perfect for actual divers or the nervous screwdriver user. But the icing on the cake is the Glidelock system, which allows you to make 2mm adjustments up to 20mm, an absolute blessing in the heat or cold for on the fly comfort. All of this finished with the assurance of Rolex Oysterlock safety clasp offering all you need in security. (The eagle eyed may notice the absence of the divers extension link in the above picture, which is a feature on the watch that I have removed as I have no need for it and it enhances comfort further)

Movement

I wont pretend to ever fully understand a movement but think we can agree that the 3235 is an improvement over the previous fantastic 3135, new barrel, escapement, gear train, bridges, rotor, and winding mechanism adding 15% efficiency to the escapement which in turn gained half the new 70 hour power reserve. All round its more stable, has less friction, wear and power consumption and retains the blue parachrom hairspring to resist magnetic fields. Superlative as ever to 2-3 seconds either way and backed up with a confident 5 year warranty. It is never hard to reset and wind a watch and indeed its often a pleasure to have a fiddle but leaving it 3 days rather than 2 can be handy.

Conclusion

Another belter, it wont be everyone cup of tea and many will whine about the size and cyclops as easy targets but the reality of ownership is that it wears well even on a smaller wrist, it has balance, it is iconic and it has a cyclops which you can easily remove (just go deep diving and see what happens) or live with it as a feature that is so useful in the modern world and environment it will be used in. I have always loved a SD and this ones is no different, on release I was critical, an ill informed assessment based on history and looks but over time (as we most things Rolex) it has proved itself as an absolute belter. Red On!

And a perfect crown alignment! Lucky !!
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 22nd April 2022 at 08:54.
    RIAC

Thanks for the review.
    Probably my favourite Rolex.

Beautiful watch. That touch of red just elevates it to a whole different level. I have a 116600, a safe queen, and this review is tempting me to break the seals on the SD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I've been wearing mine for a week or so and imho it is the perfect "only" sport Rolex. As said above the flash of red on the dial gives just the right degree of pop in the sunshine.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Got mine last Friday and it's great. Certainly notice the extra heft over my Explorer II (183g vs 153g) but it's comfortable. Still got the extension fitted - seems to be fine for me but will probably experiment and remove it in the near future. It's my first time owning a modern Rolex diver, and I can see what all the fuss is about now - it's very impressive.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Master
    Great review but i sold mine after 6 months as whatever i did i could not get it to sit comfortably on my wrists.

Master
    Nice write up. Its a great option in the Rolex sports range.

Journeyman
    Great review with some points I wasnt aware of. The only Rolex I have worn with total abandon, and therefore enjoyment, was a 16600 I bought secondhand. Unfortunately my enjoyment led to me filing a chunk out of the case one day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I have one of these and its frequently my fav watch, certainly extremely comfortable to wear.

Mine still has stickers :)

Thanks - a timely review to build the excitement for me since I purchased one yesterday that will be with me tomorrow. I have wanted an SD43 since they were first released as they are the perfect modern Rolex to my eyes in a spot-on size. It was now or never as prices continue to slowly edge upwards.

Wore one from new for a year straight, more or less.
    It is an outstanding watch.

I have ended up going back to a 16600 recently. I am not even sure why.

Nice review. It seems to be a slightly unloved model, I feel - yet it is a far superior piece to a the same era Sub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice review, thanks. I've been wearing my SD43 for a few weeks now - a beauty, and you gotta love the red text. Amazingly comfortable, even on my dainty 6.75" wrist. Definitely one of my favourites. P.S. Also reasonably priced compared to most other Rolex, which is a bonus.

Isn't perfect crown alignment where the coronet is pointing upwards (towards the dial)?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    Isn't perfect crown alignment where the coronet is pointing upwards (towards the dial)?
    Whatever's perfect for you
    RIAC

Master
    Recently picked up my third of these, and hope this one with stick (as its getting increasingly more expensive to replace!). Also own a 124060 and 116660 James Cameron, and the case shape of these Seadwellers are perfect between the two. If only they did a JC dial in the 126600

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    If only they did a JC dial in the 126600
    Another graduated dial has got to have been discussed as a concept and no doubt has undergone assessment and maybe even design it just needs to make its way to manufacture now !!

#CADMID
    RIAC

Master
    Would love to try one of these, great review by the way.

Any owners on here also got a 124060 they could maybe do a comparison thread on sometime would be much appreciated!

Good review Kerry.

I only really started wearing mine recently as I always wore the Sub or D-Blue instead. All or nothing approach. Its grown on me hugely in the last month or two and firmly back in the rotation now.

Would love an updated one with the same AR as the new Subs though, that would perfect it as I find a lot of reflection on the dial. Same desire for the D-Blue which looks to be included on the new 2022 Deep Seas.

Thanks for the review Kerry and delighted you like it 😀

Ive a 6.75 wrist and while I got a very comfortable fit, and it was a real event to wear, something special, it was always there, always made its presence felt. It wasnt the size as much as the weight.

The 124060 on the other hand disappears on the wrist. Its a great wearer, below the radar. So, I think that makes two happy punters.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Thanks for the review Kerry and delighted you like it 😀

Ive a 6.75 wrist and while I got a very comfortable fit, and it was a real event to wear, something special, it was always there, always made its presence felt. It wasnt the size as much as the weight.

The 124060 on the other hand disappears on the wrist. Its a great wearer, below the radar.
    Martyns 124060 review here - REVIEW: Rolex Submariner 124060
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
    RIAC

I do like that, more so than the Deepsea.

I'd like it more without the cyclops eye, though.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I do like that, more so than the Deepsea.

I'd like it more without the cyclops eye, though.
    Chisel and a quick polish and its gone!
    RIAC

Nice review mate. Cheers.

Master
    A gratuitous pic, just because.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Great review, one of the least hyped of the Rolex sports models which makes it something of a bargain IMHO compared to the ridiculous amounts of money folk are blowing on certain other models these days, no plans on selling mine anytime soon.

Great read and very thorough review against the grain, I like the cyclops on these.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Great review, one of the least hyped of the Rolex sports models which makes it something of a bargain IMHO compared to the ridiculous amounts of money folk are blowing on certain other models these days, no plans on selling mine anytime soon.
    Often thought that but perhaps because when you firs try it or handle it, it does feel a monster...I remember when I first handled it I thought my goodness, it is too big and heavy...but when you wear it and continue to wear it - any smaller watch starts to feel too small, at least that is where I am at the moment - it is definitely my most worn watch by a very long way; although I am planning to give the 41mm ND some extended wrist time soon, which feels a little lower key, smaller bezel and of course has the AR which is such an improvement.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    +1 couldn't agree more. I cannot understand how the Sea Dwellers lag behind the GMT Masters in terms of price inflation and availability.

Craftsman
    This has inspired me to wear mine this weekend I think.

My only point of disappointment with the watch is Rolex made it bigger for no extra performance/depth. Just feels a bit off to me.

Thanks Kerry, I enjoyed reading your review.
    Never experienced this particular model, but have tried wearing a DSSD, sadly for me, it was too bulky, which I imagine would be the same as this one.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Never experienced this particular model, but have tried wearing a DSSD, sadly for me, it was too bulky, which I imagine would be the same as this one.
    Not at all, huge difference with the DSSD to this, this wears like a substantial Submariner and without the toppyness of a Seadweller. Thanks for the kind words
    RIAC

Rolex Seadweller 126600 - Review

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Youd be surprised. A lot of the bulk on the SD43 Is the caseback protruding. The watch case itself is slimmer than youd think.

Here are some photos of the Sub 41 ND, SD43 and DSSD. Not in the shots but the YM42 wears bigger than the SD43 but the SD43 wears chunkier.

Apologies for commandeering your review thread Kerry!

Last edited by wileeeeeey; 23rd April 2022 at 13:36.

Master
    Very useful Wiley!

Grand Master
    Always a useful shot to take, it shows just how fat the DSSD is and how closely contoured the SD43 extends and balances in its case design. I love the DSSD but it is a lump.

When you look at the dial shot it also emphasises the ‘porthole’ look of the DSSD and just how ‘less is more’ the No Date is and how comfortable the additions in the SD43 fit in just those extra 3mm
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Great review, 100thmonkey. Also thanks for the useful comparison shots Wiley. As someone who's coming up to a year on the waiting list for the ND, any estimates re. relative availability of a 126600 vs a 124060? With all the usual caveats, obvs.

Cheers Kerry, this watch has turned
    me into a one watch owner. I love it
    a year in, never off the wrist. Even the cyclops
    works on this because of the size.
    Super comfortable as well.

Craftsman
    Been my daily wearer since 2017. Great watch that takes daily abuse . Id always lusted after double reds and do have a Matt dial 666 but I wanted a watch that could be worn without worry so when the 50 was announced I got it ordered straight away. Been brilliant and still the flash of red catches my eye and makes me smile. Mine did have to go back to Rolex last year for regulating as it started loosing time , but all spot on again now.

Just read this, excellent review Kerry. I have been considering one of these for a while. The other week I was in Liverpool for the first time in a few years and popped into Goldsmiths to have a look at the exhibition pieces and got to try a few on which I have not handled in the flesh before. The first was the James Cameron DSSD. I have seen one in a shop window before the madness began (Haywoods shop in Chester as I recall - 11k!!). That was just too big for me, a stunning watch, but if a watch was ever deserving of the name tuna it is that, a beast of a watch. I then tried on the SD43 and having not seen your review I was impressed how the extra size balanced out that top heavy wobble that I experienced on the 116600 and to a lesser degree on the 16600.

I remember when I had a 16600 and moved to a 5512 the difference was incredible, you cant beat those old watches and the Sub sat far better on my wrist. Anyway, the SD43 felt the same. I was expecting it to be a big lump, but none of it, it just sank into my 7.25 wrist. I was another of those who moaned about the cyclops, but as I was actually in Liverpool for an eye test, the cyclops is certainly a useful tool for us old gits.

It is a strange concept being able to try watches on that you cannot buy, but as the sales staff have nothing to sell, I suppose it helps them pass the time. I did try on a BLRO just for the sheer hell of it. Funny old business, I was back in Liverpool today to collect the new glasses so popped into their other shop to check out the Omega and the calculator came out to see what discount they would offer me if I bought today - definitely a tale of two brands.

Grand Master
    Thank you for your kind words
    RIAC