closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Do you thank your smart speaker?

Master
    Blog Entries

Do you thank your smart speaker?

I've only just gone down the smart speaker route, with an Echo Studio for playing music. I thought I'd be alone feeling rude if I didn't thank 'Alexa' for handling my requests. In fact, I don't say 'please' or 'thank you' - spoiler alert, she's not actually a person - but it still feels a little discourteous. It seems I'm not the first to ponder this. https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...fo/3928733002/.

Do you say 'please turn the music off' or 'zip it'?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    Thinking about it now - no I don’t tbh, I just ask for whatever I’m after.

I've recently read an article mentioning the opposite side of this issue.

Apparently primary school teachers are finding that many young children are much less "polite" than previous cohorts (e.g. "Give me the book, miss" rather than "Please may I have the book, miss"). This has been attributed to them emulating how their parents speak to their smart speakers.

Master
    I thank Alexa. I didn’t used to, but after changing the setting so that she keeps listening for a few seconds after conducting a command, when I thank her she normally replies with a “no worries” (she’s Australian).

I get a "you're welcome" response if I thank alexa

Blog Entries
    I think it best to humour our new robot overlords.

** edit **
    Fixed the Freudian typo.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 20th April 2022 at 08:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I think it best to humour our new robot overloads.
    Haha true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I think it best to humour our new robot overloads.
    Indeed. They are compiling their own naughty and nice list ready for judgement day.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Worked with computers for too long to think of it as having feelings.

I can be rather less than polite. For example:

"Shut Up"
    "Shut the Eff Up"
    "For God's sake, stop!"

I don't have one and don't see any use for one really.

My fairly aged mother is convinced they drive people insane, after seeing an article about someone who started laying the table for Alexa...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I don't have one and don't see any use for one really.

M

Nor did I - until I started dividing my time and CD collection between two counties. I had Amazon Prime and thought the Echo Studio would provide music in one house whilst a CD system would take care of the other house. It really is an impressive piece of kit for not much money (£144.50 refurbished) - the sound is very good and it means I make use of a bit more of my Prime subscription.

Master
    We use ours quite a lot to be fair.
    In addition to the usual playing of music, we use it for alarm clock, timing cooking, reminders, turning lamps on/off in various rooms, turning the heating off/on/up/down, extra announcement when the door bell goes, sending the vacuum cleaner back to charging base when we’ve maybe been caught out by the schedule starting. The wife also likes to do the odd pub quiz with a glass of wine now and again. There’s probably other stuff, but those are the regular tasks.

Could I live without it?… yes, easily. But it’s definitely useful.

Master
    I find them super-useful. Very nice to be able to control a radio while dozing in bed, without having to reach out and fiddle with controls.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    I thank Alexa. I didn’t used to, but after changing the setting so that she keeps listening for a few seconds after conducting a command, when I thank her she normally replies with a “no worries” (she’s Australian).
    I think it listens for a lot longer than that...!!!

Master
    Yeah, I just meant that the default setting was to perform an action… then any subsequent request/command required the wake word again which can’t get quite repetitive.
    There’s a setting where Alexa keeps listening for a few seconds rather than requiring the wake word again.

it is unplugged and in the hardly ever used dining room - it was a gift , unwanted because we already have phones, tablets and televisions etc listening in to our every word. no tech allowed above the ground floor in our house , not since the office became a bedroom again.

i may not be able to throw my clog into the looms but i smash the annoying bloody thing to smithereens with it.

fight the power !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I can be rather less than polite. For example:

"Shut Up"
    "Shut the Eff Up"
    "For God's sake, stop!"
    Sounds like you are in our household.

It is when she/it randomly starts playing something / says something out of the blue.

Especially when I am the only person at home working during the week. She is possessed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Sounds like you are in our household.

It is when she/it randomly starts playing something / says something out of the blue.

Especially when I am the only person at home working during the week. She is possessed.

Sounds like you need the Alexorcist!

Im never polite but often swear at them. Tried Alexa and currently on Google. Never bothered with Apple assistants.

They seem to have particular issues with understanding off and on. Not ideal with 90% of the lights in your house are Hue. Took a few times asking it to turn all the lights off (and the assistant turning all the lights on, waking up my wife) before I started using routines instead and now I just say good night which also turns the heating off and pauses any radios which have been left on.

There’s also a room name none of them can understand which is slightly annoying but in the end I just spell the name out and it works.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Sounds like you need the Alexorcist!

Very good!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Im never polite but often swear at them. Tried Alexa and currently on Google. Never bothered with Apple assistants.

They seem to have particular issues with understanding off and on. Not ideal with 90% of the lights in your house are Hue. Took a few times asking it to turn all the lights off (and the assistant turning all the lights on, waking up my wife) before I started using routines instead and now I just say good night which also turns the heating off and pauses any radios which have been left on.

There’s also a room name none of them can understand which is slightly annoying but in the end I just spell the name out and it works.
    Yes the ‘goodnight’ kill all command is brilliant.

My hue strip behind the TV seems to cause her many issues. Lots of ‘there are many devices by that name’….nope just the one and shouting louder doesn’t help her to understand!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Yes the ‘goodnight’ kill all command is brilliant.

My hue strip behind the TV seems to cause her many issues. Lots of ‘there are many devices by that name’….nope just the one and shouting louder doesn’t help her to understand!
    If I use the good night command from the living room assistant the kitchen assistant goes into do not disturb. Not sure why and it took me weeks to figure out that was the cause. Nothing in the routine asks it to do that. Annoying when your doorbell is tied to it and you want to see who’s there. I’ll factory reset one then the other when I can be bothered.

They are really handy though as some work meetings can be casted to them which gives you an extra display (as well as YouTube, Netflix etc) and they double as unlimited CCTV for £25. Would definitely upgrade some when the new displays come out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If I use the good night command from the living room assistant the kitchen assistant goes into do not disturb. Not sure why and it took me weeks to figure out that was the cause. Nothing in the routine asks it to do that. Annoying when your doorbell is tied to it and you want to see who’s there. I’ll factory reset one then the other when I can be bothered.

They are really handy though as some work meetings can be casted to them which gives you an extra display (as well as YouTube, Netflix etc) and they double as unlimited CCTV for £25. Would definitely upgrade some when the new displays come out.
    Need to test later, but this might be why the Sonos One in the kitchen keeps muting the microphone…so far have been blaming the wife.

Often use goodnight when hands are full & need to turn kitchen lights out. Easier than using the extra words to get to kitchen lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk