closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

Craftsman

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

Hi Guys anyone had it or even know what it is lol It seems I will be getting some in the near future. Also rather importantly did it help You.?

Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Hi Guys anyone had it or even know what it is lol It seems I will be getting some in the near future. Also rather importantly did it help You.?
    The initials are a total turn off.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I've also been recommended this, interested to understand people's experiences

Master
    I went through this many years ago when suffering depression, as far as I can remember it tries to make you think of your illness/problems etc etc in a more positive way, ( you always think, "why me" or "Am I the only one" ).
    Mine was mixture of group therapy and one to one, it's surprising how it does work, as they say, "it's good to talk"
    Hopefully you will gain some benefit from it.

I’ve had CBT after my father’s suicide. Feel free to PM me if you want any further info.

Master
    I went through ten weeks of CBT but it did work for me. I'm still as mad as a box of frog's.

Having PTSD, I am waiting to hear back from the Complex Treatment Service, so that I can try group therapy.
    Last edited by MADDOG; 19th April 2022 at 16:28.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was the physio on a CBT programme for chronic pain management in the late 80s/early 90s - I worked alongside a pain management consultant and a clinical psychologist. It combined behavioural aspects (ie what you do, such as exercise and pacing your activities) and cognitive aspects (reconceptualising the pain, setting goals, relaxation etc). Not all our patients benefited but a good proportion did and they were a group that had already multiple failed treatments. We also worked with a small number of patients with ME/chronic fatigue syndrome, again with some benefiting/others not - though I think this is now out of favour. I believe CBT for depression and anxiety is yielding decent results. Whatever the cause of your referral, I wish you well.

Craftsman
    Psychologist here. I don't work in Britain so I don't know anything about the organizational aspects (costs etc.), but happy to answer any specific questions about the method.

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    I've also been recommended this, interested to understand people's experiences
    Same here, I'd like to hear people's experiences and opinions.

Craftsman
    I’ve had just two sessions so far but I’m finding it’s helping - I particularly enjoy the positive challenge the therapist is setting me during the conversations

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I was the physio on a CBT programme for chronic pain management in the late 80s/early 90s - I worked alongside a pain management consultant and a clinical psychologist. It combined behavioural aspects (ie what you do, such as exercise and pacing your activities) and cognitive aspects (reconceptualising the pain, setting goals, relaxation etc). Not all our patients benefited but a good proportion did and they were a group that had already multiple failed treatments. We also worked with a small number of patients with ME/chronic fatigue syndrome, again with some benefiting/others not - though I think this is now out of favour. I believe CBT for depression and anxiety is yielding decent results. Whatever the cause of your referral, I wish you well.
    Thank You John. My issues are chronic back pain and it causes anxiety problems. They work together. If Your tense your back aches which causes anxiety which then makes your back ache even more…sigh. I will give anything a go.I’ve been trying yoga as best I can

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thank You John. My issues are chronic back pain and it causes anxiety problems. They work together. If Your tense your back aches which causes anxiety which then makes your back ache even more…sigh. I will give anything a go.I’ve been trying yoga as best I can

I'm long out of practice but I imagine trying to break the link between your back aching and any concomitant exacerbation of anxiety is one of the things the cognitive strategies will look to address - the two needn't go together. Once again, wishing you well.

Master
    A very timely thread, i was on the internet two days ago looking for possible solutions for my 14 year old daughter that suffers from extreme anxiety when flying.

CBT came up as a possible means of having her think more positively to alleviate some of that extreme anxiety.

I too was curious as to peoples experiences with the same.

All the best to all with all and any issues, I hope the OP manages to find a resolution. I know first hand through my experiences with my daughter how difficult these things can be.

Master
    Have you tried yoga or extensive stretching? Suffered with chronic back pain for over 15 years and it’s completely gone now.

Mrs P has scoliosis aggravated by busting her hip-pelvis as a young girl, she swears by craniosacral therapy, this after trying many alternatives...3 or 4 sessions annually for the last two decades thereabouts has made the world of difference, might be worth a try for your back pain. She´s also seeing positive benefits from Yoga currently.

Master
    HUGE amounts of positive evidence for CBT across multiple conditions. I worked at NICE and was peripherally involved with the development of the guideline on depression- CBT was very highly regarded by all stakeholders.

Doesn't work for everyone, but it's definitely worth a try.

I am a clinical psychologist. I think CBT is a great fit for some people but not for everyone. Similarly, not all practitioners of any therapy are equally skilled. The critical thing is that the therapist can and will tailor your therapy to your needs and that they are someone who you feel you can form a trusting and collaborative working relationship. Keep the process under review and if you're not getting the results you want, together you should be adjusting the approach until you do.

Most experienced therapists will be familiar with and integrate aspects of different approaches such as CBT, ACT, DBT, CFT etc to create a bespoke treatment.