closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oris Propilot X Calibre 400

Oris Propilot X Calibre 400

I think this watch was mentioned in the Watches and Wonders thread but I couldn't find any more discussion about it - sorry if this is a duplicate thread.

I just wondered what people's thoughts on the watch are? It's getting lots of attention as one of the show highlights.

Full titanium case and bracelet, interesting angular design, nice dimensions (39mm diameter), Oris Calibre 400 movement with 5 day power reserve, 10 year guarantee and 10 year service interval. I could do without the "LIFT" engraving on the clasp and it sounds like there's no micro adjust but other than that, I think it looks great. The grey dial is the pick for me. Quite expensive as Oris goes but healthy discounts are available. Has anyone seen one in person yet? Would be interested in your thoughts if so.

(Group photo from lesrhabilleurs Instagram account, photos of the individual watches from Oris).

Master
    I’m quite keen on them and will try either the peach or blue on when the local goldsmiths get them.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Really like it except for the pattened (engine turned?) bezel, which spoils it completely for me. I think the date would look better at 3 as well, or better still not present at all.

Saw the grey and blue in windows yesterday. Blue would be my choice

Both looked lovely, even the Mrs liked them

Master
    Blue looks fantastic

Master
    Liking the blue version, very nice.

Not so keen on the 'angular' look throughout.

Looks dated.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Really like it except for the pattened (engine turned?) bezel, which spoils it completely for me. I think the date would look better at 3 as well, or better still not present at all.
    I love the bezel and if a watch has to have a date, 6 is the best spot for it!

I'm looking forward to seeing these in the shops. I think the grey is the best execution of the 3 with the black date wheel adding a nice contrast. I get they are there to match the indices, but it just hangs together better on the grey imo. That said, I like coloured dials so would probably go for the blue.
    I can't see me jumping right in, but an update with a few more colours and lumed indices (sandwich filled like the Railmaster if they want to keep it low profile) would make it hard to resist.

Craftsman
    Anyone picked one of these up? Would love to see some wrist shots in the wild

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post

Would like to some in the wild shots too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That blue looks very green to me - and hope it is!

Very Omega Globemaster. I like them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post

Some wrist shots in this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KdIN-YF_FEQ

Craftsman
    I really like the fluted style bezel, which works well with all colours, particularly the blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw these in WOS, T3 last week. They had all colours and look really nice with the blue being my favourite, but at over 3k, no thanks.

Tried the green on today. I'm brassic currently so not able to buy and £3700 is a lot for wn Oris but IMHO with 15% off it would be a good buy, it's a lovely watch

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    Saw these in WOS, T3 last week. They had all colours and look really nice with the blue being my favourite, but at over 3k, no thanks.
    This. Shame. Would love one but needs to be 2/3 of that price

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    This. Shame. Would love one but needs to be 2/3 of that price

Out of interest, what fully titanium watch with a five day power reserve and ten year warranty actually exists at 2k?

Or excepting this watch, under 5k, for that matter?

I get that Oris has traditionally been at the value end of things for a while but so has tudor yet nobody complains about a generic aluminum bezel diver with a flimsy warranty being sold for 3k.... the value being expected here seems totally out of proportion with the rest of the industry.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Master
    This trend of having the date window at the bottom irks me. Also, the hands appear too small.

Quote Originally Posted by superthrust View Post
    Out of interest, what fully titanium watch with a five day power reserve and ten year warranty actually exists at 2k?

I get that Oris has traditionally been at the value end of things for a while but so has tudor yet nobody complains about a generic aluminum bezel diver with a flimsy warranty being sold for 3k.... the value being expected here seems totally out of proportion with the rest of the industry.

POTD

Blog Entries
    I like it, looks and specs.

Nonsense stories about 'brand value' don't do it for me, in-house movement, 10 year service interval, what's not to like?
    They'll probably put it in all sorts of models through the range soon.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Revisiting this thread a year later, and I quite like the bezel now. Odd how tastes change. Still not keen on the date feature though.

Master

I guess its a brand thing… undeserved for Oris and their watch.

Don’t forget; its also an inhouse movement too!

https://www.oris.ch/movement/72/CALIBRE%20400

Was just browsing these online this afternoon. Grey and blue look interesting. I thought they’d be >40mm but probably wear larger due to the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post

Thanks. Watched this last night as I was half considering the grey but the strong wear and tear marks put me off.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post

Thats a bit of a blast from the past! The Oris full steel world timer was one of my first "proper" watches. I had no idea they did a re edition.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Thanks. Watched this last night as I was half considering the grey but the strong wear and tear marks put me off.
    But isn’t that with all titanium models?

Beaten up is a bit relative. I have a SM300 ti as daily beater, but i think the wear and tear isn’t that terrible. Yes, maybe the clasp does show more signs than a regular steel.

It wouldn’t put me off. But i’m one that doesn’t need to have the watches in pristine condition. It may show marks of wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    But isn’t that with all titanium models?

Beaten up is a bit relative. I have a SM300 ti as daily beater, but i think the wear and tear isn’t that terrible. Yes, maybe the clasp does show more signs than a regular steel.

It wouldn’t put me off. But i’m one that doesn’t need to have the watches in pristine condition. It may show marks of wear.
    It’s true for nearly all. I do have one titanium watch currently but it’s grade 5 and holds up really well.

I wouldn’t automatically discount a grade 2 Ti watch but I’d probably be more interested on rubber than bracelet. The shot of the Pilot bracelet in the YouTube video when the guy mentions west and tear wasn’t a great advert.

Master
    It’s true for nearly all. I do have one titanium watch currently but it’s grade 5 and holds up really well.

I wouldn’t automatically discount a grade 2 Ti watch but I’d probably be more interested on rubber than bracelet. The shot of the Pilot bracelet in the YouTube video when the guy mentions west and tear wasn’t a great advert.
    What watch is that? Any pictures? I am interested to see the ‘wear and tear’ of grade 5.

What watch is that? Any pictures? I am interested to see the ‘wear and tear’ of grade 5.
    8 mins on that YouTube video. The guy even says he knows someone who wore one for a month and it looked like it got into a knife fight and forgot to bring a knife

Master
    8 mins on that YouTube video. The guy even says he knows someone who wore one for a month and it looked like it got into a knife fight and forgot to bring a knife

I am sorry, I ment the watch referring to having yourself.

I think the one watch in the video Doesn’t look that bad though…

I am sorry, I ment the watch referring to having yourself.

I think the one watch in the video Doesn’t look that bad though…
    Sorry, totally misread your post. It’s an APP ROO 43 on rubber which is a grade 5 Ti case and clasp. It’s not with me at the minute but here are some old pics.

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    This trend of having the date window at the bottom irks me. Also, the hands appear too small.
    I can't see that myself...each hand - hour, minute and second - seem to hit their respective marker exactly.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ceramic bezel and rubber strap tho Wiley!
    Not really comparable as the danger spots on the AP arent the ti bits.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Ceramic bezel and rubber strap tho Wiley!
    Not really comparable as the danger spots on the AP arent the ti bits.
    Exactly why I turned down the first one they offered!

Do like Oris though and would like one at some point.

Oris Propilot X Calibre 400

Citizen ProMaster NB6021-68L
    OK, 2 day PR and 5yr warranty, but only £700

Nothing against Oris, in fact I bought my Mrs one for her 40th.
    For me, it would need to be cheaper than it is.

Brand value no doubt feeding into that, whatever I have been influenced by over time, with Oris yet to convince me, but it is what it is - for me, it would need to be cheaper.

Last edited by notenoughwrists; 12th May 2023 at 22:36.

Tried a couple on today.
    Very nice, though not for me. The grey was a bit "dead" as a dial. Almost continued the colour of the titanium too much.
    The blue is the one I'd have if I was gonna do it. Quite an unusual blue although I'd prefer a colour-matched date window.
    Couple of pics - worth noting these both had plastic wrapping on so not quite as clear as you might like...

I took a little wrist-roll video with each of them too but cannot seem to embed a video onto TZ. If anyone is keen to see them (only 10secs each) drop me a PM with your email and I'll forward on.

Toby

Master
    I'm intrigued by these, I like the simple dial and colour choices but to me they come across as a bit of an amalgamation of a tool/dress watch
    I feel the dials would work better with a more delicate looking bracelet. The 5 day reserve movement and purported accuracy get a thumbs up though.
    Having browsed through the Oris collections I'm personally more tempted by the ProPilot range rather than these X's

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Citizen ProMaster NB6021-68L
    OK, 2 day PR and 5yr warranty, but only £700

Nothing against Oris, in fact I bought my Mrs one for her 40th.
    For me, it would need to be cheaper than it is.

Brand value no doubt feeding into that, whatever I have been influenced by over time, with Oris yet to convince me, but it is what it is - for me, it would need to be cheaper.

I'd say there's a fairly big difference between 2 day movement (most automatics are there or thereabouts) and 5 day.

Have to admit a soft spot for Oris since my first 'proper' watch.

Definitely trying to push upmarket but I think the specs justify the price.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I'd say there's a fairly big difference between 2 day movement (most automatics are there or thereabouts) and 5 day.

Have to admit a soft spot for Oris since my first 'proper' watch.

Definitely trying to push upmarket but I think the specs justify the price.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Probably right - it is the Scottish in me flinching at opening my wallet ;)