closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bulova Watch Help

Bulova Watch Help

I wonder if those in the know could assist with some information on this, my late father's watch.

I do not know the history, it wasn't a subject he discussed really, but worn it as long as I can remember. He did serve, but again, unsure if it was something issued to him, or bought in Argos!

Any help appreciated.

Master
    That's a very nice looking watch mate. One to treasure.

It certainly would not have been purchased from Argos and not one issued to British military.

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    That's a very nice looking watch mate. One to treasure.

It certainly would not have been purchased from Argos and not one issued to British military.
    Yes, won't be something to sell. Do you think it was just bought like any other watch would be?

Any idea on age?

It’s a Bulova A17a
    They were mostly issued to the USAF around the time of the Korean War or just after and used well in to the Vietnam conflict.
    The majority of info is displayed on the case back, movement is the 10BNCH, it’s a Navigators watch.
    It has a radium dial and they are generally pretty hot for radioactivity. All in all a really nice watch, small by todays standards but still wearable.
    It’s a nice keep sake to have.

Edit: I should say bar the strap it looks all original

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It’s a Bulova A17a
    They were mostly issued to the USAF around the time of the Korean War or just after and used well in to the Vietnam conflict.
    The majority of info is displayed on the case back, movement is the 10BNCH, it’s a Navigators watch.
    It has a radium dial and they are generally pretty hot for radioactivity. All in all a really nice watch, small by todays standards but still wearable.
    It’s a nice keep sake to have.

Edit: I should say bar the strap it looks all original
    Thanks and apologies for having absolutely no idea!

Was it then also available for public purchase, or would he have had to buy from a servicemen/shop serviceman sold to?

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    Thanks and apologies for having absolutely no idea!

Was it then also available for public purchase, or would he have had to buy from a servicemen/shop serviceman sold to?
    Don’t worry about not having an idea, that’s what forums are for, there are sad g1ts like me that know this stuff.
    These were not available to the general public in this configuration (markings on the case back), if you look it has the government contract number, stock number and watch serial, these were supposed to go back in to stores when you left the forces, moved roles, didn’t need it any more.
    Nor were these sold in the USPX, the only official way to get one was by needing one for your job, usually aircrew.
    If he was not US aircrew he likely swapped it for something or won it in a bet.
    There is one other option, he bought it when it was demobbed from service, however I am not sure the US did this. Most in civilian hands today were ‘lost or forgotten’ about when the man or woman left service. They then found their way on to the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Don’t worry about not having an idea, that’s what forums are for, there are sad g1ts like me that know this stuff.
    These were not available to the general public in this configuration (markings on the case back), if you look it has the government contract number, stock number and watch serial, these were supposed to go back in to stores when you left the forces, moved roles, didn’t need it any more.
    Nor were these sold in the USPX, the only official way to get one was by needing one for your job, usually aircrew.
    If he was not US aircrew he likely swapped it for something or won it in a bet.
    There is one other option, he bought it when it was demobbed from service, however I am not sure the US did this. Most in civilian hands today were ‘lost or forgotten’ about when the man or woman left service. They then found their way on to the market.
    Thank you very much.

I shall scour for more info in his own archives. Wish he told me more about it, or moreso, I'd have asked...

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    Thank you very much.

I shall scour for more info in his own archives. Wish he told me more about it, or moreso, I'd have asked...
    Happy to help
    https://dialandbezel.com/product/bul...igation-watch/
    A bit more info here and here
    https://www.60clicks.com/vietnam-war-watch-guide/