closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Older Credor...?

Craftsman

Older Credor...?

Hello all,

I had been aware of Credor watches like the Eichi and the spring drives that pop up on here sometimes. I wasn't aware of the length of their history until I stumbled on a wealth of more modest models on ebay.

These a mostly small, slim, dressy high accuracy quartzes. Generally bimetallic or gold (/plate). However, if that isn't off-putting, they seem to offer well finished, slim, watches with some interesting movements for not much money (~£400). Stolen pic from the internet:

...the downside is, I can't find much of a Google hole to fall down! I found this thread https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=399329 and I'm sure there's lots in Japanese but I'm struggling to find much in English.

...so I'm hoping the TZ hive mind will be able to point me in the direction of links / pictures / views / experiences??

Thanks
    R

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by RyanB; 18th April 2022 at 21:43.

Blog Entries
    Not much to add, sorry, except that there are a lot of trashy older Credors around and fewer ones in good condition. I suspect that the good ones are creeping up in price.

Good 8j movements in the old Credor Seiko quartz watches, same series as the current ones, but styling is “of its day”. Similar to those 80s Omega, Patek and other things of the time that look quite dated now. Not really a cheap way in to modern Credor (without the Seiko on the dial, they switched some time around early 2000s) but if the style and size appeals, they are well made.

Older ones are plentiful in Japan, most likely to have been owned by a well-off manager during the bubble-era who bought it in person in a high-end department store. Little market now, so prices can be good. As are 90's era GS quartz of course.

I'll post these of my hand-wind Spring Drive Credor at the weakest of invitations, so…

I think the current Credor crop are pleasingly and deliberately not aimed at the market outside Japan, hence some “interesting” designs, but I think the lack of international exposure is a good thing. A genuine high quality watch that makes no statement at all to most people. Quite rare in these days of seemingly everyone chasing the same 10 models as everyone else (“stunning”).

It's worth checking the current range by the way, the foreign press tends to swoon over the Eichi with good reason, but there are cheaper ones which I suspect sell rather faster. Quartz start at around £1500.

The modern ones are a secret (shhh…!) and the old ones are what they are - good, old, quartz watches.

TT
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 19th April 2022 at 03:50.

Journeyman
    I’ve never really heard much of them before. But those pictures have tempted me! Beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    …I stumbled on a wealth of more modest models on ebay.
    Just on the ebay thing, I'm sure you and many on here know but ebay failed in Japan. Everyone uses Yahoo Auctions or Mercari, with businesses using Yahoo Auctions or Rakuten. If you see a watch on ebay listed as from Japan, it's quite possibly available at a lower price from the same shop or seller on one of those sites.

It's worth checking. Plus there is much more choice, as the great majority of Japanese sellers never use ebay at all.

This link should get you a listing of the 1000+ Credor models currently offered on Yahoo Auctions. Hope it’s useful.

Older Credor...?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Just on the ebay thing, I'm sure you and many on here know but ebay failed in Japan. Everyone uses Yahoo Auctions or Mercari, with businesses using Yahoo Auctions or Rakuten. If you see a watch on ebay listed as from Japan, it's quite possibly available at a lower price from the same shop or seller on one of those sites.

It's worth checking. Plus there is much more choice, as the great majority of Japanese sellers never use ebay at all.

This link should get you a listing of the 1000+ Credor models currently offered on Yahoo Auctions. Hope it’s useful.
    Your link states that since 6 April, Yahoo Japan no longer available in EEA/UK (and no listing).
    Realise there are proxy service like buyee amongst others.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 19th April 2022 at 13:52.

Thanks, thought offering the Google-translated link might be easier. But here is the original (in Japanese) which anyone should be able to browse.

Yes you'll need to use a forwarding service to buy from here, as (as mentioned), this is aimed at the local Japan market.

Hello all,

I had been aware of Credor watches like the Eichi and the spring drives that pop up on here sometimes. I wasn't aware of the length of their history until I stumbled on a wealth of more modest models on ebay.

These a mostly small, slim, dressy high accuracy quartzes. Generally bimetallic or gold (/plate). However, if that isn't off-putting, they seem to offer well finished, slim, watches with some interesting movements for not much money (~£400). Stolen pic from the internet:

...the downside is, I can't find much of a Google hole to fall down! I found this thread https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=399329 and I'm sure there's lots in Japanese but I'm struggling to find much in English.

...so I'm hoping the TZ hive mind will be able to point me in the direction of links / pictures / views / experiences??

Thanks
    R

£400?

I had one like that I bought from Kempton years ago and it was an incredibly thin gold plated quartz model.

Personally I think £100 would be pushing it based on the quality.

Of course the modern Credors are helping the price along but there really is no resemblance to those old dress watches.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Indeed, as an example a similar one on Yahoo here https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp...on/f1041141317

¥8000, no bids at present. Under £50.

edit: or this one which appears to be the same as the one pictured. Currently a dizzying £13.15…

Be careful on ebay…
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 19th April 2022 at 15:17.

Good 8j movements in the old Credor Seiko quartz watches, same series as the current ones, but styling is “of its day”. Similar to those 80s Omega, Patek and other things of the time that look quite dated now. Not really a cheap way in to modern Credor (without the Seiko on the dial, they switched some time around early 2000s) but if the style and size appeals, they are well made.

Older ones are plentiful in Japan, most likely to have been owned by a well-off manager during the bubble-era who bought it in person in a high-end department store. Little market now, so prices can be good. As are 90's era GS quartz of course.

I'll post these of my hand-wind Spring Drive Credor at the weakest of invitations, so…

I think the current Credor crop are pleasingly and deliberately not aimed at the market outside Japan, hence some “interesting” designs, but I think the lack of international exposure is a good thing. A genuine high quality watch that makes no statement at all to most people. Quite rare in these days of seemingly everyone chasing the same 10 models as everyone else (“stunning”).

It's worth checking the current range by the way, the foreign press tends to swoon over the Eichi with good reason, but there are cheaper ones which I suspect sell rather faster. Quartz start at around £1500.

The modern ones are a secret (shhh…!) and the old ones are what they are - good, old, quartz watches.

TT
    I remember reading this article on a more recent Credor - https://www.ablogtowatch.com/seiko-c...g-drive-watch/

Is this around how much you got your hand wind Spring Drive for?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I remember reading this article on a more recent Credor - https://www.ablogtowatch.com/seiko-c...g-drive-watch/

Is this around how much you got your hand wind Spring Drive for?
    I bought mine from a local shop, but they are long since discontinued. There is one on Yahoo Auctions right now though, here. You could spend a lot more on something a lot less interesting, in my opinion. Servicing might be an issue if not in Japan though, which should be considered. (For what it’s worth, a full manufacturer service on my Credor is just under £300)

I bought mine from a local shop, but they are long since discontinued. There is one on Yahoo Auctions right now though, here. You could spend a lot more on something a lot less interesting, in my opinion. Servicing might be an issue if not in Japan though, which should be considered. (For what it’s worth, a full manufacturer service on my Credor is just under £300)
    Indeed - not sure how Seiko Boutiques would react to that!

I'll have to VPN the link later as definitely not working in the UK now!

I picked up this Credor 8J81 from Japan it is dated 2003.

The 8J81 is a thermo-compensated, High Accuracy movement, good for 10 seconds a year.

Credor still use this movement in some of their current watches.
    The one I have does have some bling but it is fairly subtle it is SS with an 18K bezel and a cabochon jewel in the crown.

It features an AR coated sapphire crystal that sits proud of the 18K bezel and is just “Water Resistant” so best not take a shower in it! Not sure what the strap is made of but there is no mistaking it is a Credor!

Size wise it wears a bit bigger than its stated dimensions but it is small for a mans watch these days.

So if you like small dress watches these older Credor watches could be the ones for you.

Mitch

Craftsman
    Thanks all - glad I asked!

It's really hard to gauge quality from pictures. They look fun and have an interesting movements so the ~£400 on ebay didn't sound crazy for BINs , given £200 for a fun moonswatch or ~£250 for a Seiko 5 nowadays. I guess I'd been thinking relative to the pricing of their contemporary GS cousins too.

However....less is always more price wise and they do feel more appealing as a fun experiment at those prices. Off to learn about buying on Yahoo auctions Japan :)

Thanks for all contributions - keep them rolling!

Ryan

Craftsman
    I think the shipping issue is due to ems not running to Europe because of the no fly zone over Russia. It is possible to send things via ships but expect a long wait for your purchase.

Craftsman
    Just won one similar to the one in my top post, for around £90 on Yahoo Auctions Japan.

Will post it up once it eventually makes its way through the proxy buyer etc.

R

Master
    Let me know what you think of the quality too! I'd be quite interested to know what Proxy buyer you used as well if possible?

Thanks!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by al1991 View Post
    Let me know what you think of the quality too! I'd be quite interested to know what Proxy buyer you used as well if possible?

Thanks!
    Will do, curious about the quality too.

I used https://buyee.jp/ . I will reserve judgement until I get it but searching and bidding is easy, no harder than eBay.

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/yahoo...english-guide/ seems like a good guide.

steve hillock has a modern credor for sale ,crazy money for the new stuff

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    The Credor 8j81-6a30 I bought from Yahoo Auctions Japan arrived yesterday. Its on my on my wrist and I'm very happy!

(Squeezed on a temporary 18mm strap borrowed from another watch).

It's super thin and light, but does have a feel of quality and care in its making. The two-tone-ness is far less stark than in photos too.

It appears to date from 2006 and has been worn but is in very good condition. Normal swirlies but no damage (the seller rated in 4/5, which seems perfectly fair). After a brush and Cape Cod I think it it looks great :)

The buying process was smooth and not unduly slow: nine days from winning the auction to arrival (by DHL with tracking). The wait was actually quite fun, like the old days of online shopping, and emphasised it being something less common in the UK.

The watch cost £94, shipping and proxy fees came to £30 (and could have been slightly less if I opted for sea shipping).

I will say that:
    - It is undeniably small, fine for me but not for everyone;
    - The lugs seem to be a small / tight 17mm, so 18mm straps are probably out; and
    - I can't comment on performance. The 8j movement was used in GS siblings of its day but I'll be watching the to see if it manages anything like the 10s/year promised when new.

If you like the look of them, I'd recommend giving one a try. I can't think of many £125 watches that offer this much quality.

Hopefully my waffle is of some interest to some!

R

Last edited by RyanB; 6th May 2022 at 12:03.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ Lovely watch. And absolute bargain price!

Congratulations.

Craftsman
    Thanks Mark, lots of them out there for around this price :)

Lovely watch. 32mm?

- I can't comment on performance. The 8j movement was used in GS siblings of its day but I'll be watching the to see if it manages anything like the 10s/year promised when new.
    The 8J is a fine movement and remains an absolute high-water mark of High Accuracy Quartz. Seiko U.K. will service it for under £300 should you find it out of spec; its only real ownership disadvantage vs the 9F movement (speaking as an owner of both 8J and 9F watches) is that the latter can be trimmed*. But the 8J is superb.

(As an aside - why not comment on performance? Use watchtracker or similar, take three data points each time and retain the mean, and you’ll have a fair idea within a week or two as to how this little beauty is performing against spec!)

* https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Grand-Seiko-9f
    Last edited by JGJG; 14th May 2022 at 20:22.

Craftsman
    Thanks JGJG,

It's 33mm and 36mm lug-to-lug. At only 5mm thick I think it wears slightly smaller though.

I will definitely keep an eye on the performance, the movement was one of the main attractions for me. I just meant that, as I'd only had it a couple of days, I didn't know yet. Will try watchtracker :)

I'd been wondering about servicing just in case - so it's great to know Seiko UK can do it - thanks.

Gratuitous snap of it now its on a properly sized strap:

R

Looking great! I think a dark unpadded cordovan would look the dogs back wheels on there.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Looking great! I think a dark unpadded cordovan would look the dogs back wheels on there.
    Thanks, I'm loving it.

Something unpadded would be good, especially with the (lack of) height! 17mm doesn't give the most options.

17mm doesn't give the most options.
    https://www.ukwatchstrap.co.uk/17mm-watch-strap.html

Craftsman
    Great minds: always my first stop and the source of the matte brown calf above. Just couldn't quite find *the one*.

RSent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Credor

Nice Credor Ryan, here is mine 8J86 -7A00

Last edited by shaney; 29th May 2022 at 17:21.

Craftsman
    Thanks Shaney, I haven't seen one with a textured dial like that. The all steel(?) colour scheme is a nice find too.

R

Thanks Shaney, I haven't seen one with a textured dial like that. The all steel(?) colour scheme is a nice find too.

R

Ryan
    All steel yes, solid link bracelet full box and papers,quickset move for hour hand via crown

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by shaney View Post
    Ryan quickset move for hour hand via crown
    Nice. What movement is that?

Hi its a 8J86 -7A00

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Nice. What movement is that?

Quote Originally Posted by shaney View Post
    Hi its a 8J86 -7A00
    Thanks. I really like the lance handset and capped stack on these Credors, and there’s something particularly interesting about the monochrome scheme on this one with so much steel on show.