closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Finding out who owns some land

Finding out who owns some land

I have a small plot behind my garden (used to be part of what is now my property) but the previous owners partitioned it before selling the house.

I have been trying for some time to contact them and ask if they wish to sell it to me, via my solicitor as we have no direct contact details other than their solicitors from the house purchase, but I have received no response at all from the land owners to numerous requests.

Is there another way to find out who owns it and perhaps be able to write to them directly?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    For £3 or maybe £6 the land registry will provide the info, all done online, instant results

Blog Entries
    Land Registry? https://www.gov.uk/government/organi.../land-registry

Be careful not to use a scam site. The link above is to the genuine HMGov Land Registry.

Here's the direct link you want to find it, I use it every day for work. This is the official HM Land Registry search

https://eservices.landregistry.gov.u.../FindAProperty

Create an account (free).

Put in postcode

Find address and make sure it's the right one.

£3 for title register which is what you want and will tell you who owns it and maybe what they paid for it and when.

Another £3 for the plan ( which you may also need to confirm the correct parcel)

Need any more help let me know

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

How does this work if there is no postcode?

Behind my garden is a small strip of land that is adjacent to a riverbank owned by the Environment agency. The EA say it doesn’t belong to them, the local council say it doesn’t belong to them, so how would I go about finding out who owns it? It is a strip of land that is about 3m wide, the width of our property and goes on down past the next 3 or 4 houses.

It would be nice to take ownership and move boundaries, but as it is next to a public footpath on the EA land, it needs to be done in a proper way.

If nothing else, it would be nice to get the current owners to take some responsibility for the trees on the land as they are falling over and could end up causing damage to the gardens they are next too.

The normal answer is: step onto the land and start a chainsaw.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjay View Post
    How does this work if there is no postcode?

Behind my garden is a small strip of land that is adjacent to a riverbank owned by the Environment agency. The EA say it doesn’t belong to them, the local council say it doesn’t belong to them, so how would I go about finding out who owns it? It is a strip of land that is about 3m wide, the width of our property and goes on down past the next 3 or 4 houses.

It would be nice to take ownership and move boundaries, but as it is next to a public footpath on the EA land, it needs to be done in a proper way.

If nothing else, it would be nice to get the current owners to take some responsibility for the trees on the land as they are falling over and could end up causing damage to the gardens they are next too.
    I think you want the 'Map enquiry' link: https://eservices.landregistry.gov.u...EnquiryInit.do This lets you click on a map showing the property you want and it will give you the information it has on it. Well, it will let you pay for the info.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 20th April 2022 at 09:40.

To be honest, the present owners probably don't want it, don't need it and can't use it for anything, but it is too costly to do anything about it. It may be part of an parcel belonging to someone now deceased so the executors are responsible. Sometimes these parcels can take years to come to auction and I'll bet the next owner doesn't want it or need it either.

I believe, but I'm not an expert here, that if you enclose the land and look after it for 11 years you can apply to change to registration of the land. You don't get absolute title, but some sort of "title under duress" or something like that, either way it becomes yours to benefit from and be responsible for.

Helpful if someone could come along to the thread to tidy up the present legal situation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    The normal answer is: step onto the land and start a chainsaw.
    Hehe.

I recall that there are a couple of Youtube videos which explain how to go about beginning to claim adverse possession (although it's a long term plan!).
    Last edited by markrlondon; 20th April 2022 at 09:48.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps it's a 'ransom strip'.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Feel free to PM me and I’ll try and look up the plot ownership for you for no cost

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Feel free to PM me and I’ll try and look up the plot ownership for you for no cost
    Thank you, that is very kind. I’ll have to sort out a picture of the land, but I’ll get back to you…

Thank you, that is very kind. I’ll have to sort out a picture of the land, but I’ll get back to you…
    No probs, a quick satellite view with a pin dropped and a postcode will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Adge View Post
    Here's the direct link you want to find it, I use it every day for work. This is the official HM Land Registry search

https://eservices.landregistry.gov.u.../FindAProperty

Create an account (free).

Put in postcode

Find address and make sure it's the right one.

£3 for title register which is what you want and will tell you who owns it and maybe what they paid for it and when.

Another £3 for the plan ( which you may also need to confirm the correct parcel)

Need any more help let me know

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Done, and have the owner’s address, so have written to them.
    Thanks very much.

Point to note, download and save the documents as soon as you access them.
    If you leave and return to the HM LR website and log back in, you cannot re-access the docs and need to pay again!!

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Done, and have the owner’s address, so have written to them.
    Thanks very much.

Point to note, download and save the documents as soon as you access them.
    If you leave and return to the HM LR website and log back in, you cannot re-access the docs and need to pay again!!

Nice! Glad it all worked out and fingers crossed you get the answer you want.