closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why you shouldn’t buy a Rolex

Blog Entries

Why you shouldn’t buy a Rolex

Discuss….

in my case I’ve had QC issues more than other brands - (on two that I bought - one wonky crystal, another scratched case side when fixing a timing error).
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 18th April 2022 at 07:57.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    Most people I know who own a Rolex do not care that much about thing's like this, owning one is their only goal.
    That's totally wrong, most people buy a Rolex because the quality and reliability is expected to be flawless. With a Rolex, quality is everything.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Overhyped!

Because the secondary prices are extortionate and this is uncharted waters.if you can get them at list then the residuals have proven to be solid.

Saying that if you want a watch that is understated and timeless but remains high quality there aren't many other options. PP, VC and AP are all silly prices.

Omega seems to be the best alternative.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That's totally wrong, most people buy a Rolex because the quality and reliability is expected to be flawless. With a Rolex, quality is everything
    That's an interesting claim, but it's an interesting claim that isn't quite as true as some would have you believe.

For example:

https://www.timezone.com/2002/09/16/...-14270-part-1/

https://www.timezone.com/2002/09/16/...-14270-part-2/

And, just to foreshadow the usual hue and cry about anyone daring to criticise Rolex, we've done this before:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ison-with-3135

Morning Rajen...
    Last edited by M4tt; 18th April 2022 at 09:16.

Martyn I have the feeling that you are rather bored, sat by your pool in the sun.😀

Master
    I’ve owned at least a dozen Rolex at various times and had a couple of them for over a decade and touch wood, never had a problem with any of them that I can recall.

In fact having owned various brands including Omega, AP, Patek, Tudor and VC the only issue I can think of is a Breitling Super Avenger that I bought in the Caribbean and had a fault - Breitling uk fixed it and the customer service was excellent.

For me there’s no reason not to own a Rolex (except paying 3x RRP). Excellent watches all round.

Thank you for the warning, OP, but I think that we are all pretty safe from buying a Rolex at the moment.

I've had quite a few Rolex and only had one faulty out the box (39mm Explorer). Quality has been among the best of the watches I've had - for example I've had more issues with Omegas.

Re reasons not to buy one - I think from a WIS perspective they can be a bit underwhelming in the metal compared to some other brands at the price point. So if you are one of those people who has a Rolex as a 'grail' because it will be the best possible watch well that may not be the feeling you are left with once you have it. But many non-WISes are buying one because 'it's a Rolex' so I guess it doesn't matter

Of all the reasons not to buy a Rolex I really don’t think their overall quality control, or mishaps at servicing/repair come close to the lower levels displayed in these areas of most other brands.

So if you shouldn’t buy, then at least have a better reason why you don’t want one.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 18th April 2022 at 09:12.
    It's just a matter of time...

Aside from the obvious answer (“if you don’t want one, it’s probably not a good idea to buy one”), I’d suggest that buying a Rolex as an investment is a risky proposition, purely on the basis that no bubble carries on inflating forever. And taking a moral interpretation of “shouldn’t”, I’d also say that one shouldn’t buy a Rolex if one’s just going to punt it to the secondary market for a quick buck, thus depriving a true enthusiast of an ownership opportunity. Which leads me to my own personal hobby-horse…

I think the thing I find most offputting is availability, the “waiting list” and so forth. Not to mention the apparent requirement to buy tens of thousands’ worth of watches you don’t really like in order to be granted the opportunity of owning one which you do, at the whim of “your authorised dealer”. Something about that model just sits wrongly with me, and it contaminates the entire brand for me. Clearly an emormous number of people don’t care about that, though.

Master
    My one and only Rolex has been back to them twice in 6 months from new: once for timekeeping and the second for gritty crown action. Watch has been babied.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    My one and only Rolex has been back to them twice in 6 months from new: once for timekeeping and the second for gritty crown action. Watch has been babied.

Thats very surprising which reference do you own if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    That's totally wrong, most people buy a Rolex because the quality and reliability is expected to be flawless. With a Rolex, quality is everything.
    I can't agree with you there, some people might buy a Rolex for those reasons, but I think most will buy a Rolex for the aspirational nature of the brand, we see so many posts from people wanting to buy 'a Rolex' not a specific model but anything just to own the brand. The marketing is so strong, I would amend your last statement to read: With a Rolex, quality is perceived to be everything.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    That's an interesting claim, but it's an interesting claim that isn't quite as true as some would have you believe.

For example:

And, just to foreshadow the usual hue and cry about anyone daring to criticise Rolex, we've done this before:

Morning Rajen...
    Surprised Raj hasn’t been on yet though it’s middle of the night in the States
    I thought he had an alarm notification for any Rolex criticism
    Expect a punishment beating in good time

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Thats very surprising which reference do you own if you don't mind me asking?
    39mm explorer which was, interestingly, a model mentioned already in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Re reasons not to buy one - I think from a WIS perspective they can be a bit underwhelming in the metal compared to some other brands at the price point. So if you are one of those people who has a Rolex as a 'grail' because it will be the best possible watch well that may not be the feeling you are left with once you have it. But many non-WISes are buying one because 'it's a Rolex' so I guess it doesn't matter
    A few years ago I managed to own two subs at the same time, and I was surprised how underwhelmed I was, just didn’t live up to the hype for me anyway, I hardly wore them as I constantly felt disappointed, then I had a YM2, now that I loved.

Master
    You should not buy one if you don’t like one; that goes for any brand IMHO. At the end of the day you should only buy what appeals to you and not buy into hype.

I have many different brands, I have brought mine because I like them and will continue to do so.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post

For example:

Morning Rajen...
    Isn’t this 20 years old and possibly not written about a new watch! Im fairly confident over the last 2 decades improvements have been made as throughout my years in the trade and several thousand Rolex deals I know how many end up needing a trip back to Rolex first hand.
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Martyn I have the feeling that you are rather bored, sat by your pool in the sun.
    That just about sums it up. Plus it was meant to be a touch ironic

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    You should not buy one if you don’t like one; that goes for any brand IMHO. At the end of the day you should only buy what appeals to you and not buy into hype.

I have many different brands, I have brought mine because I like them and will continue to do so.
    Pretty much this, but what you like, and with Rolex, what you can find!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Isn’t this 20 years old and possibly not written about a new watch! Im fairly confident over the last 2 decades improvements have been made as throughout my years in the trade and several thousand Rolex deals I know how many end up needing a trip back to Rolex first hand.
    It certainly is and it was written about a previously unopened watch with no discernable wear. As such the question of whether it is new or nearly new isn't really relevant given the analysis given.

However, I was responding to this claim:

And this demonstrates, quite conclusively, that the internal quality of a Rolex has been far from flawless at at least one point in the near past. This somewhat undermines the claim that 'quality is everything'. As I've argued repeatedly in the past, the reputation of the brand is everything, quality, demonstrably isn't. Odets talks at length about the pragmatic choices made to allow such a poorly executed,cheaply designed and corner cut movement to perform quite well. As such, your experience of returns isn't really telling us much about quality, merely reliability. Seiko Fives are, well known to be ridiculously reliable, but high quality?

I've owned, and fiddled with, a fair few older Rolex and the quality of, say, a 1570 is impressive. The 3000 shows Rolex moving from a commitment to perfection to what they can get away with. Why should we assume that 'improvements have been made' when the 3000 demonstrates things going backwards? If anyone has any analysis as thorough as Odets' that demonstrates things have improved, it would be welcome. The 3000 shows a commitment to movements that look great on the surface, but are value engineered underneath the shiny. Where's the evidence that has changed?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Surprised Raj hasn’t been on yet though it’s middle of the night in the States
    I thought he had an alarm notification for any Rolex criticism
    Expect a punishment beating in good time

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I'm sure Raj will just be gently disappointed at my lack of faith and curious about what 'tiny old ugly piece of ship' I've recently dug out of the bowels of ebay for sod all, to make a faintly Rolex related in joke so pointless that it has become a joke at itself. I'm nothing if not predictable. Like so:

Lol.
    No comments, M4tt and the rest.
    Martin is bored obviously.
    Not everyone needs to buy a Rolex. If you want it and like it, buy it.
    If not, don’t:-)

Grand Master
    It is safe to say one of two things is going to happen, it will simmer gently now or go to another level not imaginable!. Over the years April is always the quiet time, the point where you think ‘ummm bit quiet, nothing happening’. Then the sun shines and boom we are off. This year more so than any other as with the exception of the war we are fairly free ish again to enjoy life (less the doomsday merchants bleating about inflation and gas bills - put a jumper on or light a candle)

What it wont do is go down, it’ll simmer at very best, some brands will a lot but Rolex will not. But as so many have said buy what you like and you will find that the pleasure of ownership is at its best without the stress of worry. Also lets not forget just why we are here, some fantastic offering from other brands deserve serious recognition after being overshadowed by the daddy, at the top level AP & Patek (Albeit both dropping back reasonably as smooth as they accelerated) but the real winner for me in terms of bang for buck, no stress and pleasure to own are the middle ground offerings from Omega, Panerai, Tudor etc with Cartier and Breitling beavering away on some really nice dials.
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Lol.
    No comments, M4tt and the rest.
    Martin is bored obviously.
    Not everyone needs to buy a Rolex. If you want it and like it, buy it.
    If not, don’t:-)

Morning Raj,

I'm trying to imagine a situation in which anyone needs to buy a Rolex. However, today's TOUPOS is:

I'm sure your will recognise the dial/hand configuration copied by the 6098 that didn't get to the summit.

Given you still own several Rolex despite the QC issues, I think you need to change the title to "why you shouldn't buy Rolex yet you still do".

As above, buy what you like - life's too short to do otherwise. I own many Rolex, but then I like them (the capital appreciation is a bonus - and I've experienced no QC issues). It's not the quality/reliability that attracts most buyers to Rolex, but rather the status and to join the Rolex gravy train.

I think the crown is slipping, here's why...

The brand can't live up to the hype (of the prices charged by the grey market). Today you can buy a mint 2021 Seamaster 300 for under £4k, a 2021 Submariner will cost you closer to £12k, three times that of the Omega, and it's just not worth that price difference however you look at it.

Availability is becoming a real issue. People have traditionally bought a Rolex as a graduation gift, a wedding present, a significant birthday watch, or to celebrate an achievement or milestone. That's just not possible in todays market at RRP and we don't like it.

Lack of innovation. Just look at Watches and Wonders this year, Bulgari launched the world’s thinnest chronograph, Moser used Vanta Black, Tag Heuer used lab grown diamonds, solar movements and continue with smart tech, Cartier used 3d printed gold, Swatch have people queuing outside stores 3 weeks after launching the Moonswatch, and Rolex –*well Rolex turn the GMT upside-down, it must have taken their R&D team 10 minutes to knock that one out. Their biggest innovation of the last decade seems to be a two coloured bezel, Zenith are doing three colours and it barely gets a mention.

People are beginning to question why Rolex is the world's number one watch brand, and it's getting pretty difficult to find a credible answer, other than they're brilliant at marketing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I think the crown is slipping, here's why...

The brand can't live up to the hype (of the prices charged by the grey market). Today you can buy a mint 2021 Seamaster 300 for under £4k, a 2021 Submariner will cost you closer to £12k, three times that of the Omega, and it's just not worth that price difference however you look at it.

Availability is becoming a real issue. People have traditionally bought a Rolex as a graduation gift, a wedding present, a significant birthday watch, or to celebrate an achievement or milestone. That's just not possible in todays market at RRP and we don't like it.

Lack of innovation. Just look at Watches and Wonders this year, Bulgari launched the world’s thinnest chronograph, Moser used Vanta Black, Tag Heuer used lab grown diamonds, solar movements and continue with smart tech, Cartier used 3d printed gold, Swatch have people queuing outside stores 3 weeks after launching the Moonswatch, and Rolex –*well Rolex turn the GMT upside-down, it must have taken their R&D team 10 minutes to knock that one out. Their biggest innovation of the last decade seems to be a two coloured bezel, Zenith are doing three colours and it barely gets a mention.

People are beginning to question why Rolex is the world's number one watch brand, and it's getting pretty difficult to find a credible answer, other than they're brilliant at marketing.
    Yes Rolex are brilliant at marketing and yes you have to admit their quality is good.

It's got to the stage where we will willingly pay 3 times for a watch that is not as 3 times as good as say an Omega because we know that it's an investment and really when you sell it you will almost certainly get more than what you paid for it plus the cost of servicing.

Right now buying a Rolex is a no brainer.

This thread is now complete

I love Rolex but you can't claim they are the last word in quality. I'd go so far as to say that most bezels on the sports models aren't 100% perfectly aligned (same for Tudor too!). I ended up sending my Sub-date back for a refund because the bezel wasn't in perfect alignment. It was my first brand new Rolex purchase and at the time I didn't expect such a defect on a watch costing over £5k (back in 2015 I think).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Nah the subject of Rolex is eternal. It will be going on when you and I are pushing up daisies.

Yes Rolex are brilliant at marketing and yes you have to admit their quality is good.

It's got to the stage where we will willingly pay 3 times for a watch that is not as 3 times as good as say an Omega because we know that it's an investment and really when you sell it you will almost certainly get more than what you paid for it plus the cost of servicing.

Right now buying a Rolex is a no brainer.

Yawn

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Yawn
    Whether you like it or not, Rolex must generate more interest than any other brand and even has its own forum which ranks as the worlds largest watch forum.

If you want to frequent watch forums you have got to live with it being a very popular topic.

Whether you like it or not, Rolex must generate more interest than any other brand and even has its own forum which ranks as the worlds largest watch forum.

If you want to frequent watch forums you have got to live with it being a very popular topic.

I’ve frequented this watch forum for a little longer than you.
    I own a couple of Rolexes and they are good watches, I just don’t see how they are worthy of the feverish arousal that some members bring to the fore every time they are mentioned.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I’ve frequented this watch forum for a little longer than you.
    I own a couple of Rolexes and they are good watches, I just don’t see how they are worthy of the feverish arousal that some members bring to the fore every time they are mentioned.
    If that's your view then fair enough but rather than "yawn" just move on and read something else.

Master
    The reasons I own no rolii and never will are purely philosophical.
    I regard Rolex to be primarily a marketing endeavour, a very successful one, but certainly not a horological one. That’s fine, however when that marketing is based on multiple lies and falsehoods then it becomes a bit whiffy. For a start there’s the whole Everest debacle which they perpetuate to this day. They like to intimate that they invented the dive watch, which they really didn’t omega, Longines/weems and Blancpain would like to interject. At this point I’m definitely out, but, the cherry on top was the ‘Red Adaire’ advert where they claimed to have invented the self winding watch, no that was Perrelet, ummm the self winding wrist watch. No that would be John Harwood and they had to print an apology and credit him in subsequent adverts. Eterna then made the self winding rotor actually work properly.

When a company has a bigger history of deceit rather than innovation in their product field i’m damned if I’ll support them.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Not yet.
    Not until everyone ‘not interested’ in Rolex declares that here on this thread and their ‘reasons’. Again.
    Makes for amusing reading though.
    Thanks again Martyn. Pour yourself another martini:-)

Blog Entries
    Not yet.
    Not until everyone ‘not interested’ in Rolex declares that here on this thread and their ‘reasons’. Again.
    Cheers! But been tending to the veggie patch today. Bit OT but here are couple pics:

These are tomatoes (honest!).

And end produce

Sorry wrong forum - but to add some watch content I happened to be wearing this one today:

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 18th April 2022 at 13:49.

Master
    I have scratched myself to death pruning orange and lemon trees.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Cheers! But been tending to the veggie patch today. Bit OT but here are couple pics:

These are tomatoes (honest!).

And end produce

Sorry wrong forum - but to add some watch content I happened to be wearing this one today:

Hopefully you weren't wearing that whilst digging up the veggie patch?!!?

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    The reasons I own no rolii and never will are purely philosophical.
    I regard Rolex to be primarily a marketing endeavour, a very successful one, but certainly not a horological one. That’s fine, however when that marketing is based on multiple lies and falsehoods then it becomes a bit whiffy. For a start there’s the whole Everest debacle which they perpetuate to this day. They like to intimate that they invented the dive watch, which they really didn’t omega, Longines/weems and Blancpain would like to interject. At this point I’m definitely out, but, the cherry on top was the ‘Red Adaire’ advert where they claimed to have invented the self winding watch, no that was Perrelet, ummm the self winding wrist watch. No that would be John Harwood and they had to print an apology and credit him in subsequent adverts. Eterna then made the self winding rotor actually work properly.

When a company has a bigger history of deceit rather than innovation in their product field i’m damned if I’ll support them.
    Very well said!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Not yet.
    But that's not what folks are saying. Who is saying they are 'not interested'? There are plenty giving reasons for not buying, not liking or not wanting and, it appears, a few saying what a fine asset class they are. But who is saying they are not interested?

The ever fresh dimension is the realisation of the yawning chasm between perception and reality and the cognitive dissonance this causes in some.

Personally I'm delighted that the vast majority of folks are slightly obsessed with Rolex as it stops them pushing up the prices of other, more interesting, vintage watches. I'm delighted that Rolex are taking the mickey on pricing as I'm fully aware that they are a Robin Hood outfit and really are robbing the rich to give to, well pretty well any good cause in the Canton of Geneva or the horological arts. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

I think that Rolex are ok to buy. They just shouldn't be worn. You don't want to be 'that guy', you know, 'the one with the Rolex'. They will also appreciate more if unworn in the safe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I think that Rolex are ok to buy. They just shouldn't be worn. You don't want to be 'that guy', you know, 'the one with the Rolex'. They will also appreciate more if unworn in the safe.
    That's another reason to buy them surely?

Journeyman
    I think they are seen as a bit flashy. Each to their own though......(I write this whilst being on the 'note of interest' list for over 2 years!).

Personally I hate what's going on in the grey market and believe it needs major reform from the corrupt nature of it at the moment. But people who've bought them from ADs for some time are laughing and can probably talk all day about why you should buy one!

Blog Entries
    I think people are like sheep, everybody wants the same must have status symbol. Just like tattoos or certain little men or animals on your polo shirt. Rather boring and predictable, if you really like watches.......etc.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Discuss….

in my case I’ve had QC issues more than other brands - (on two that I bought - one wonky crystal, another scratched case side when fixing a timing error).
    Buy vintage then?

Craftsman
    I quite fancied a yellow OP last year. Bit gutted I didn't get one now as I could flip it for a Breguet.

Oh, as for QC, as the luxury brand that makes by far the most watches, the fact that there aren't tonnes of people posting about QC issues suggests they are pretty decent overall. I doubt anyone is able to get hold of figures from multiple brands though.

Master
    My view now after reading the utter crap about a Rolex up for sale is that it is best to buy a Rolex and never ever mention you have one.

This is a watch appreciation forum but it appears that anyone who buys, owns or tries to sell a Rolex is one step from being a crook or profiteer. You got to ask yourself is it worth the hassle.

Best to just buy and sell well away from this forum and keep quiet about owning one.