closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why you shouldn’t buy a Rolex

At the risk of being lynched, and banned from the forum forever, I think they're absolutely hideous and I wouldn't wear a sub or any of their models they were giving them away for free. I also think given the way the Rolex AD's treat their customers, it's literally verging on mental illness to go along with that, let alone hand over money to them.

Mind you, this is coming from someone who recently acquired their grail watch - a Sinn U1. Hey ho.

I also have a major thing for G-Shock/Casio, though I suspect partly this is kind of a nostalgia thing growing up mostly in the 80’s/90’s. Admittedly as I'm getting older though, I do find a lot of the G's way too gaudy. Still, I'd wear one over a Rolex any day.

This should be fun. 👍

Worst part of buying one? Walking up to the AD telling them you want the blue and black gmt, holding your fart as you try to refrain from calling it stupid superhero nicknames. Wtf is a Krispy Kreme? Some chap on the rolex forums was saying he was expecting a Krispy Kreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a hand alignment issue on my sub from new which RSJ sorted, but there was no apology, offer of any recompense for my travel to London (I work nearby but they didn’t know that) let alone anything else.

Compare to Zenith, I had an issue with one after a service and they not only fixed it swiftly but also sent me a care package by way of apology with a boat load of merchandise which I didn’t expect but was pleasantly surprised by.

All in I think the thoughts above capture it well. Good not great watches, overpriced at retail and there are better out there for the money, but they are like money in the bank, iconic and personally I find my subs the only watches I own where the thrill never feels old when wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartyuk View Post
    I think they are seen as a bit flashy. Each to their own though......(I write this whilst being on the 'note of interest' list for over 2 years!).

Personally I hate what's going on in the grey market and believe it needs major reform from the corrupt nature of it at the moment. But people who've bought them from ADs for some time are laughing and can probably talk all day about why you should buy one!
    I do try not to comment on these threads

I think that overall the previous 5 digit references aren’t flashy at all, I’m fortunate to have 3 of these, and the Explorers are about as straightforward a watch as you can get.

The modern ones are glitzy, even the former tool watches models, although for clarity I am on a list for a GMT, and have been for some time.

I don’t think the grey market is corrupt, it just reflects the supply /demand situation. I’m sure a lot of dealers are frustrated, and try to be reasonably diligent about selling to buyers who will value it, often as a commemoration of a significant event, rather than sell to flippers.

For the enthusiast who missed the time of easier supply, I sympathise. For the non-watch person who wants to reward success or life event, that’s annoying, although the current answer is to be straight with the AD in person, and maybe be flexible over what models are acceptable to you.

Personally, although I rate Rolex, they are out of my mind, bar the 6 month keep in touch chat with the AD re the GMT.

The supply isn’t worth angst or frustration, it’s just a watch, a very decent watch, but still…

In horological land, there is a lot to keep my I interest with a Dornblüth and Sinn later in the year, and a couple of my 5 digits due back from service.

Fashion will turn one day, and supply with it.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    My view now after reading the utter crap about a Rolex up for sale is that it is best to buy a Rolex and never ever mention you have one.

This is a watch appreciation forum but it appears that anyone who buys, owns or tries to sell a Rolex is one step from being a crook or profiteer. You got to ask yourself is it worth the hassle.

Best to just buy and sell well away from this forum and keep quiet about owning one.
    Utter nonsense from you as usual. The way that someone goes about something counts in these parts. Here's just one of many members who know how to go about selling a Rolex painlessly on this platform:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ack-Dial)-SOLD
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...te-Gold-(SOLD)
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...16610LN-(SOLD)
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Feb-2019)-SOLD
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...te-Dial-(SOLD)
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Utter nonsense from you as usual. The way that someone goes about something counts in these parts. Here's just one of many members who know how to go about selling a Rolex painlessly on this platform:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ack-Dial)-SOLD
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...te-Gold-(SOLD)
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...16610LN-(SOLD)
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Feb-2019)-SOLD
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...te-Dial-(SOLD)
    You just don't get it do you.

Mick, you only seem to hang out in areas of this forum where you can argue and stir up a bit of trouble. Try digging a bit further, there are a lot of very interesting threads that aren't related to emotive subjects, or generally support others in some way. It might do you the world of good.
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 19th April 2022 at 23:21.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

What doesn't he get?

What you don't seem to get is that the bozos who get grief for selling Rolex on the SC are not following the simple rules put down by Eddie - it's not rocket science.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    What doesn't he get?

What you don't seem to get is that the bozos who get grief for selling Rolex on the SC are not following the simple rules put down by Eddie - it's not rocket science.
    I get the reason for the debate, what I don't get is the sheer thuggery that gets used time and time again. I very much doubt if any of them would act like that in their place of employment but in here it seems to be anything goes.

Anyway you win in a way, I will never use the R word again in here because admitting that you have an interest in it makes you some some of pervert.

… I will never use the R word again in here ….
    No disrespect Mick, but I give that a week tops

Blog Entries
    Look, a few grown men arguing about a tiny little status symbol.

Sometimes I even think let Europe go to war with Russia, it might put some things into perspective.....

But worry not, I'm off again ;)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    I always admire optimism ;)

Why you shouldn’t buy a Rolex...

Because you neither buy into the hype nor find any of their designs compellingly attractive.

If you like 'em (and can afford/find them), go ahead.

If you think it'll make you a better person to own one, likewise.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Well you obviously shouldn't buy a Rolex, unless you want to wear a watch like these. In which case you should.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Utterly uninspiring and lacking imagination

Craftsman
    Martyn's thread is entitled "why you shouldn't buy a Rolex". I would not presume to tell anyone else why they shouldn't buy a Rolex (or a Tufina for that matter), but I'm happy to outline why I will not buy a(nother) Rolex.

Firstly, I don't find the styling very compelling at all. My one example is a DJ 17000, and it ranks as probably my least worn piece.

Secondly, I am not much into divers (only one in my collection of seventeen pieces). The one I have (and I'm wearing as I type) is a GO (bought on this forum, thank you)

which I find much more attractive than a Sub. If I were to feel the need for another, it would be a Bathyscaphe.

And thirdly, and much most importantly, as I have got further into this daft hobby I have realised that for me the art of the watchmaker is 15% in the case/strap, 25% in the dial and hands, and 60% in the movement. I just love a different and attractively finished/decorated mechanical movement. Consequently, only two of my seventeen pieces (the oldest two) fail to feature a sapphire display back. That number will not increase -- if a watchmaker doesn't want to show me his art, he doesn't get my shekels. Simples.

The end is nigh… sell sell sell!

I’ve [lost] a monkey in a month!!!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The main reason that you shouldn't buy a Rolex is simple: They simply cannot be justified.

If you pick any aspect of watch ownership from history to engineering, aesthetics to status symbol, uniqueness to robustness, Rolex are not the obvious choice at the price point.

There seem to me to be two exceptions - if you want a watch that signifies success to people who don't know any better a Rolex is perfect. Mind you, if that's your target audience...

Obviously, if you can get one at retail to sell immediately, then sure, there's a quick profit to be had, but...

Beyond that, there is always something better. In most cases, there is often something better that is dramatically cheaper.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    At the risk of being lynched, and banned from the forum forever, I think they're absolutely hideous and I wouldn't wear a sub or any of their models they were giving them away for free. I also think given the way the Rolex AD's treat their customers, it's literally verging on mental illness to go along with that, let alone hand over money to them.

Mind you, this is coming from someone who recently acquired their grail watch - a Sinn U1. Hey ho.

I also have a major thing for G-Shock/Casio, though I suspect partly this is kind of a nostalgia thing growing up mostly in the 80’s/90’s. Admittedly as I'm getting older though, I do find a lot of the G's way too gaudy. Still, I'd wear one over a Rolex any day.

This should be fun. 
    I have bought 5 new Rolexes over 25 years, I don't begrudge your opinion. We are all different. One of my biggest watch regrets is selling my Sinn 356. Each to his own.

Anyway you win in a way, I will never use the R word again in here because admitting that you have an interest in it makes you some some of pervert.
    You promised me you'd stop posting but that didn't pan out.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    The main reason that you shouldn't buy a Rolex is simple: They simply cannot be justified.

If you pick any aspect of watch ownership from history to engineering, aesthetics to status symbol, uniqueness to robustness, Rolex are not the obvious choice at the price point.

There seem to me to be two exceptions - if you want a watch that signifies success to people who don't know any better a Rolex is perfect. Mind you, if that's your target audience...

Obviously, if you can get one at retail to sell immediately, then sure, there's a quick profit to be had, but...

Beyond that, there is always something better. In most cases, there is often something better that is dramatically cheaper.
    Others may be better. The definition of justify is "show or prove to be right or reasonable" do people think a Rolex is reasonable? - Just look at the demand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    The end is nigh… sell sell sell!

I’ve [lost] a monkey in a month!!!

Let me know when it gets near list price, and I'll take it off you with a little extra for yourself

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Better is objective.
    For some, myself included, there is nothing better than Rolex at certain price points.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post

Jeez Matt, I think you're channeling the spirit of my late father referring to the Pontiac Trans Am I bought in the early 90s!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Let me know when it gets near list price, and I'll take it off you with a little extra for yourself
    You have first dibs… but don’t coming running to me when you can’t flip it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    You have first dibs… but don’t coming running to me when you can’t flip it

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    The reasons I own no rolii and never will are purely philosophical.
    I regard Rolex to be primarily a marketing endeavour, a very successful one, but certainly not a horological one. That’s fine, however when that marketing is based on multiple lies and falsehoods then it becomes a bit whiffy. For a start there’s the whole Everest debacle which they perpetuate to this day. They like to intimate that they invented the dive watch, which they really didn’t omega, Longines/weems and Blancpain would like to interject. At this point I’m definitely out, but, the cherry on top was the ‘Red Adaire’ advert where they claimed to have invented the self winding watch, no that was Perrelet, ummm the self winding wrist watch. No that would be John Harwood and they had to print an apology and credit him in subsequent adverts. Eterna then made the self winding rotor actually work properly.

When a company has a bigger history of deceit rather than innovation in their product field i’m damned if I’ll support them.
    Don’t forget: the Oyster was the world’s first waterproof wristwatch, too. (It wasn’t. Obviously.)

Recently I’ve done several weddings / Christenings / funerals where ordinary, decent working class chaps have sported a Rolex. A quick chat revealed it to be a real object of aspiration, a sign to themselves (and others) that they’d “made it”. Well, ok, I get that. Good luck to them. But none of them was interested in the watch I had on (not a Rolex; imagine if they turned up in a new Porsche Cayenne and I arrived in, say, an old Spyder or Series 1 Land Rover or Citroën DS or MG BGT: petrol heads would ask me about the engine and bodywork and handling and so on.) also none of even really seemed to care about their Rolex as a watch. It’s a brand, a signifier of success, a status symbol.

I believe someone at Rolex has said that the company isn’t really in the watch business and that seems true to me.

What also seems true to me is that Tudor are now what Rolex once were: solid, stylish tool watches. Cool, classy and classic. Not cheap but not Veblen bling bracelets either.

That said, I’d take any number of vintage Rolex references. You know: tritium, sequential serial number, acrylic crystal.
    Last edited by Rev-O; 21st April 2022 at 18:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    LOL.

Why you shouldn’t buy a Rolex

If someone wants one they are generally brilliant watches and I enjoyed owning them for about 30-years all told.
    Unfortunately I understand from this forum that the new 32** calibre is experiencing some problems which takes me to the only reason why I don’t currently own any.
    In my experience their customer service sucks and I really wouldn’’t trust them to repair anything again - which really hacks me off as I do like both the Datejust 116200 with silver dial, domed bezel with Jubilee bracelet and the Tudor BB58 but don’t want to be tied to RSC UK - still life goes on!

Last edited by adg31; 22nd April 2022 at 11:42.

Craftsman
    I think the OP’s thread title might have made more sense to me with ‘unless it’s RRP’ in parentheses, but I’ve been thinking this week - having now been on a couple of ‘wishlists’ for too long like many of us, and forgive me if this has been raised umpteen times before in my absence over the last couple of years - why don’t Rolex just price hopefuls like me out and put their RR prices where the market value is and be done with it? The impression that i get from my AD is that he genuinely misses the time when they had actual Rolex watches for sale rather than just to showcase. We all know the current situation is farcical (i genuinely think they’re building brand resentment because from a customer perspective there’s so little satisfaction - no deposits taken, no guarantee of an actual watch, stories about other purchases necessary to butter your way in etc), so if Rolex actually want to aspire to be Patek and vet anyone daring to want a new one with their profiling etc, just put the prices up to Patek ones and they’ll lose the likes of little me in a flash. And they’ll likely STILL sell them all.
    As you can tell, I’m no economist. But my point in a nutshell is ‘Why you shouldn’t buy a Rolex’ - because to pay the grey prices and know full well they’re grossly inflated, is madness ?*??. It’s masochistic to my mind.
    Anyway just my opinion. As you were.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    By the way i just want to be clear. There are forum members who have multiple Rolexes and who clearly have the funds for that. And there are even more clearly forum members with the funds to dive into the grey market at those prices (i wonder if that spanking new Sub on SC has had any action…) And that is of course entirely their business. I just mean for those of us who can’t justify that (grey) outlay on a Rolex, and who are feeling gamed by the AD - i would argue broken - system, sometimes i think I’d rather just be put out of my misery! Make the new Explorer price 10K please, in one fell swoop placing the grey prices where they should be in relation to new prices, and let Rolex be the plaything of wealthier clients rather than pretending they still make tool watches at the high end of affordability.

Quote Originally Posted by rgwarden View Post
    By the way i just want to be clear. There are forum members who have multiple Rolexes and who clearly have the funds for that. And there are even more clearly forum members with the funds to dive into the grey market at those prices (i wonder if that spanking new Sub on SC has had any action…) And that is of course entirely their business. I just mean for those of us who can’t justify that (grey) outlay on a Rolex, and who are feeling gamed by the AD - i would argue broken - system, sometimes i think I’d rather just be put out of my misery! Make the new Explorer price 10K please, in one fell swoop placing the grey prices where they should be in relation to new prices, and let Rolex be the plaything of wealthier clients rather than pretending they still make tool watches at the high end of affordability.

Genuine question, why not just buy something else?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Genuine question, why not just buy something else?
    I don’t get much choice do i. And i have. I wear Omegas. But i made the fatal mistake of buying my wife a Rolex when you could actually buy them, and I’ve envied her ever since!

Craftsman
    Her 31 mm oyster perpetual is now 15 years old and selling for three times what we paid for it. I enjoy this forum and i like this thread, but I can’t help thinking a clearer answer to this OP is ‘because who can and does right now?’

Craftsman
    For some reason any punctuation i put in my posts eg apostrophe’s or quotation marks, are being omitted, making my typically meandering posts even more flipping (pun intended) confusing. Apologies.

Master
    For me personally, the reasons against seem to be:
    - It’s the obvious choice.
    - As the most recognisable brand, some people who notice it will assume you are only wearing it so they can notice it.
    - There are plenty of possible objections to individual designs. The Oyster Perpetual 41 is a frisbee and some of the colours would look better toned down. The oyster case itself doesn’t take well to being up-sized and the larger DJs tend to end up losing their shape in the process, while the otherwise ideal DJ36 is spoiled by polished centre links. Many of the watches looked better in their vintage versions, some becoming parodies off themselves over the years, while others are wilfully ostentatious. Meanwhile the Air King is an Air King.
    - Desirable older models and new grey market models have gone up so much, that it calls into question the man maths that has always made them strangely good value.
    - And finally, you can’t buy one anyway.

On the flip side, you could argue that it’s the obvious choice for a reason, at least at RRP or the vintage prices of a few years ago. Also you can’t make choices based on the projections of bitter people, perhaps you’re wearing it because it’s a nice watch and you like it. The brand’s fame makes them sparkle a bit more brightly but isn’t jewellery supposed to sparkle? On the designs, if you find one you like and it fits you then that’s not an issue either, some of them are spot on, practical and even understated. The man maths is resolved by going back in time and buying them a decade ago, which was my solution.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    For me personally, the reasons against seem to be:
    - It’s the obvious choice.
    - As the most recognisable brand, some people who notice it will assume you are only wearing it so they can notice it.
    - There are plenty of possible objections to individual designs. The Oyster Perpetual 41 is a frisbee and some of the colours would look better toned down. The oyster case itself doesn’t take well to being up-sized and the larger DJs tend to end up losing their shape in the process, while the otherwise ideal DJ36 is spoiled by polished centre links. Many of the watches looked better in their vintage versions, some becoming parodies off themselves over the years, while others are wilfully ostentatious. Meanwhile the Air King is an Air King.
    - Desirable older models and new grey market models have gone up so much, that it calls into question the man maths that has always made them strangely good value.
    - And finally, you can’t buy one anyway.

On the flip side, you could argue that it’s the obvious choice for a reason, at least at RRP or the vintage prices of a few years ago. Also you can’t make choices based on the projections of bitter people, perhaps you’re wearing it because it’s a nice watch and you like it. The brand’s fame makes them sparkle a bit more brightly but isn’t jewellery supposed to sparkle? On the designs, if you find one you like and it fits you then that’s not an issue either, some of them are spot on, practical and even understated. The man maths is resolved by going back in time and buying them a decade ago, which was my solution.
    I seem to agree with pretty much all of this

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    The oyster case itself doesn’t take well to being up-sized and the larger DJs tend to end up losing their shape in the process, while the otherwise ideal DJ36 is spoiled by polished centre links.
    I agree that the DJ41 really doesn't work by being upscaled, it's far too big for that type of design.

However, I think the OP41 works much better and I was surprised at how well it wears. I consider it to be an elegant sports watch (much like the IWC Mark18) and as such the upscaling works better than on the DJ which is more of a toolish dress watch so to speak.