closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex what happened in 1985?

Journeyman

Rolex what happened in 1985?

I’m currently a little disillusioned with the whole ‘preferred’ customer situation currently with Rolex. So for my next purchase I’ve decided to go vintage, I have been scouring the net for a 1985 Gold Day Date (my birth year). This seems to be almost as bad as ‘you are 16000 on the list’. Was there production issues in 1985🤣

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The entire planet was still recovering from the worst recession since WWII, a recession that finally killed off, or critically damaged, most of the watch making companies in Switzerland. None of them had been thriving since the early seventies, under a number of pressures, not least direct competition from Japan and especially Japanese quartz.
    Rolex, without shareholders and with vast strategic reserves, due to the unique way Wilsdorf had set them up weathered this storm better than any other high mid market mass manufacture, but even they were not making or selling much.

Also, compared to the then previous market giants like Eterna, Cyma or Omega, Rolex were still fairly small and hadn't yet quite developed the reputation that they went on to have. This was largely by recovering from the recessions and shocks of the seventies and eighties in a position to take advantage of the new found prosperity of the later eighties.
    Wilsdorf's original philosophy of producing watches that were aspirationally affordable to anyone fitted the eighties recovery perfectly and that's why availability eventually soared.

Going by serial numbers: in 1985 8,614,000 in 1986 8,900,000. So that's only 286,000 watches produced in that period. I doubt many of them were gold day dates I'm afraid, But birth year watches are usually a bit of a struggle and all the more satisfying for it. You might want to look to sellers in Japan or the Middle East, where, ironically, there might have been more of a market for that sort of luxury! Good luck.

You’d be surprised. Despite the lower numbers - there will have been a weighting towards previous metal models.

That said, the numbers still arent going to be huge.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    If you forget the rather birth- year thing (a childish fad in my opinion) you’ll give yourself a much better chance of finding a nice example.

These are not easy watches to buy, most older ones are in very tired condition with worn- out bracelets and poorly refinished cases. The only ones worth buying are the best ones, don't be tempted to buy a bargain in the hope that it can be improved, you’ll end up playing catch- up which usually ends up being more expensive in the end.

Forget the birth year crap, constraining your search to one specific year is an exercise in futility, be prepared to spend strong money on a good example. Look for recent service history from Rolex or an accredited indy and be very critical of bracelet condition.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    https://hqmilton.com/products/1985-r...38-with-papers

A good place to start if you are entirely risk averse

https://timepeaks.com/en-gb/search/?...85&sbox=header

A good place to start if you are risk neutral

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185337849...kAAOSwFg5iJ0Fq

Are you feeling lucky?

The wait is worth it to get what you want and only adds to the pleasure afterwards.