closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Can normal people buy cars at auction at the moment?

Hybrid View

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Can normal people buy cars at auction at the moment?

I've got this theory that car auctions are probably the last remaining vestige of reasonably priced cars; everything (eBay, auto trader, Gumtree) is expensive (in my eyes) at the moment.

The only problem is, they seem closed for normal punters; there's an enormous BCA near me (Bridgwater in Somerset) but I understand that it's for trade only, which is a shame.

Does anyone know if this is the general situation across the country or are there any places to pick up ex-fleet stuff in the South West, or do they all just end up on forecourts?

Can normal people buy cars at auction at the moment?

You used to be able to go and purchase as a member of the public, not sure when this changed, but our local BCA in Nottingham is trade only.

I think Cinch is their consumer offshoot, but obviously at a margin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    You used to be able to go and purchase as a member of the public, not sure when this changed, but our local BCA in Nottingham is trade only.

I think Cinch is their consumer offshoot, but obviously at a margin.
    I thought that WBA/Cinch were connected, but you are correct:

Cinch is part of the Constellation Automotive Group, along with WeBuyAnyCar.com and BCA. The group operates a market-leading business across the UK and Europe, employs over 10,000 people, and is on track to sell 70,000 cars on an annualised basis.

They look to have the entire process in their pocket.

Maybe not many sites around country but think Aston Barclay auctions are open to everyone.

How do you get to be Trade. Surely a few mates into cars could have an account?
    It's just a matter of time...

why would you have trade only, they are the tightest people on the planet.

I have seen them make literally enough to buy an Omega from one car sale.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    why would you have trade only, they are the tightest people on the planet.

I have seen them make literally enough to buy an Omega from one car sale.
    Most trade organisations prefer to deal with other trade organisations as they regard Joe Public as an uneducated PITA who always asks loads of gormless questions on what to those in the trade is just plain common sense.

No one likes an outsider, never have and never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    How do you get to be Trade. Surely a few mates into cars could have an account?
    How would these 'mates into cars' get you a Trader's Account then?

If some mate who has their own trader account went with you to the auction there's nothing to stop them from buying a car and then selling it to you afterwards. If they do a regular amount of vehicles from the auction house their fees will be less than the occasional trader so if they were inclined they could pass that benefit onto you.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    They have a Mannheim auction near me and I went a couple of times and the cars seemed to be selling trade for nearly as much as you were paying on the forecourt didn’t make any sense

Craftsman
    Am I being a bit thick? 70,000 cars and 10,000 staff works out at 7 cars profit to pay each member of staff, not forgetting overheads etc.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Am I being a bit thick? 70,000 cars and 10,000 staff works out at 7 cars profit to pay each member of staff, not forgetting overheads etc.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    It’s a bit like Lloyds of London I think - every time the car moves someone gets a ‘nibble’

WBAC i assume pass the car through Cinch/BCA (and perhaps local traders?) and take their cut

BCA get their commision on every sale

Cinch get their nibble from the end sale which normally includes a trade in which they can pass on for another nibble directly or indirectly.

The parent company will get a little nibble from everyone. That said it’s possible they’re not making profit after everyone gets a nibble…
    Last edited by Suds; 18th April 2022 at 12:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    It’s a bit like Lloyds of London I think - every time the car moves someone gets a ‘nibble’

WBAC i assume pass the car through Cinch/BCA (and perhaps local traders?) and take their cut

BCA get their commision on every sale

Cinch get their nibble from the end sale which normally includes a trade in which they can pass on for another nibble directly or indirectly.

The parent company will get a little nibble from everyone. That said it’s possible they’re not making profit after everyone gets a nibble…
    The cars going through the auction at close to retail are those going into the trade and giving WBAC and BCA most of the profit in the vehicle. Those going to Cinch give the group all the profit. As WBAC buy at the lowest possible price point and charge an admin fee (which BCA and presumably Cinch do too), there’s a fairly hefty chunk of profit to be had from each car overall.

On top of that, Cinch will also receive commission from finance companies.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The cars going through the auction at close to retail are those going into the trade and giving WBAC and BCA most of the profit in the vehicle. Those going to Cinch give the group all the profit. As WBAC buy at the lowest possible price point and charge an admin fee (which BCA and presumably Cinch do too), there’s a fairly hefty chunk of profit to be had from each car overall.

On top of that, Cinch will also receive commission from finance companies.
    Ah ok, also forgot about the finance and the upselling

Master
    BCA auctions are all on line now. No biding in person, and yes, you have to be an account holder to bid.
    It’s bit of a minefield and you have to do your homework. That said there are still some good value cars to be had.

Master
    You still can at Newark motor auctions I believe but more and more the auction stock is going to dealers anyway, not a great buyers market

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You still can at Newark motor auctions I believe but more and more the auction stock is going to dealers anyway, not a great buyers market

Dealers have to have a mark-up/make a profit........ private buyers don’t - just like it always has been????