closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Does this mean I am old??

Does this mean I am old??

So, for a long time now I have owned/ loved many s/s sports watches throughout the ages, but in the last few weeks i keep thinking of a watch with a touch of gold on it would be nice.Is this something I need to be worried about at 54yrs young ? I really like the latest Root beer by Rolex the rose coloured gold seems to call me more than the usual yellow gold, probably a daft question,are these as popular as the s/s watches? hard to get at dealerships ?
    Does any one on here own one,would be interested in your views on the watch
    Last edited by peter2704; 16th April 2022 at 12:59.

Just buy, wear and enjoy whatever you like. The only people who worry about "old" are those who haven't yet realised that they are also doomed to be so. That's my theory anyway, speaking as a 16yr old brain trapped in an almost 65yr old body. ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I’m in my 30s and recently picked up a root beer so I’m hoping it doesn’t signify getting old!

It’s a great watch. The rose gold is very warm and quite subtle.

I got quite lucky with the AD with a few months wait. It depends on your relationship really. I’d say it’s mid level difficulty to get hold of on the Rolex scale.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm afraid the biggest telling sign you are getting old is age.

Most people I know with bimetal watches are younger. I think mainly down to not being able to get a SS one when looking. Can't get either now mind

Price plays a big part, if watches with solid high quality gold were not so expensive then they would be far more common.

I am much much younger than you and would love a part gold rolex but not chance in hell i could ever afford one.

If you can afford it and like them then why not.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Price plays a big part, if watches with solid high quality gold were not so expensive then they would be far more common.

I am much much younger than you and would love a part gold rolex but not chance in hell i could ever afford one.

If you can afford it and like them then why not.
    Agreed - the mark ups on gold watches are horrendous relative to the extra value of the materials used.

I am planning on a Breguet classique for my 50th. Does that make you old? Damn right it does you old git, get used to it :)

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Agreed - the mark ups on gold watches are horrendous relative to the extra value of the materials used.
    There’s a thread on here where a few of us calculated the value of gold in either a sub or gmt and got a value of £2-3k including the bracelet.

Journeyman
    Tastes change all the time and also as you go through you're grail watched you want to try different things. I picked up a Rolex with a fluted bezel the other day and previously I never liked them. I'm now looking at a Glashutte Senator, such a beautiful watch.

Yes it means you are officially old. The two tone Datejust on SC I started day dreaming about and think I am old now also.

Jubilee bracelets and fluted bezels I always thought were old fashioned and fussy. But now I am contemplating the new green dial Datejust with jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel.

Master
    Fashions do change but there are three constants in wearing watches. Young guys and middle aged ones tend to go for SS because it is rugged, practical and just looks plain cool. Old guys who did OK financially (typical baby boomer) wear YG with the bloody great big gold bracelet which just screams I am a rich bugger so why can't I be walking with a 20 something floozy at my side. TT is worn by anyone with a distinct lack of taste.

I was down in Aguilas earlier today indulging in beer and raciones as old ex pats tend to do and the guy on the next table who was in his late seventies was wearing a TT Sub and it just did not look suitable for a man of his age. He should have known better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Fashions do change but there are three constants in wearing watches. Young guys and middle aged ones tend to go for SS because it is rugged, practical and just looks plain cool. Old guys who did OK financially (typical baby boomer) wear YG with the bloody great big gold bracelet which just screams I am a rich bugger so why can't I be walking with a 20 something floozy at my side. TT is worn by anyone with a distinct lack of taste.

I was down in Aguilas earlier today indulging in beer and raciones as old ex pats tend to do and the guy on the next table who was in his late seventies was wearing a TT Sub and it just did not look suitable for a man of his age. He should have known better.
    TT watches look fine. Don’t be a gatekeeper for other peoples enjoyment of watches.

As long as you don’t mind a few swirlies etc because you’ll definitely attract them , buy and wear whatever makes you smile the most. I did and what I actually bought surprised me

Master
    I have both the yellow TT and the rose gold and have always liked TT watches from a very young age. Only difference is now when I buy PM watches I don’t go for many WG variants.

I've always admired bi-metal/two-tone but never felt that I would be able to pull it off myself. Having said that, a Bluesy as a special occasions watch would be nice

Does this mean I am old??

I’m not sure where the 2 tone equals old thing ever came from? Sure it can be a bit flashy but it also depends on skin tone and confidence. As I get older I care less about what other people think anyway. Wear what you like and wear what suits you, fashions come and go and looks go in and out of fashion.
    Nothing wrong with getting older. After all, tragically there are plenty of people who don’t!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m not sure where the 2 tone equals old thing ever came from? Sure it can be a bit flashy but it also depends on skin tone and confidence. As I get older I care less about what other people think anyway. Wear what you like and wear what suits you, fashions come and go and looks go in and out of fashion.
    Nothing wrong with getting older. After all, tragically there are plenty of people who don’t!

Probably because many who think that TT = old, haven’t worked out that….

Many of the TT watches that they see, on people that they regard as old, are the only watch that the “old person” has - that was bought when that old person was young, or middle aged.

Priceless!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Priceless!!
    Dave

I wouldn't normally respond to something like this but as you are one of the more sensible ones around here, I will.

The simple fact is no one slags off leather straps, they seem to meet with universal approval.

Another simple fact is that you hardly get any comments on SS bracelet, they are OK.

Another simple fact is that YG bracelets attract a few comments because the wearer is looking a bit affluent.

However TT has always courted more criticism and sneers than all of the other types of bracelet put together. Whether you like it or not, TT is not universally loved and has always attracted the nouveau riche image. I am certainly not alone in that opinion.

Master
    Obviously it depends on the watch. TT can be done well (I would argue the root beer) or badly (often the most garish bright yellow gold examples). It’s the very garish TT that drives the divide in opinion. It doesn’t mean every TT watch is seen in the light described above - that’s an over generalisation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Obviously it depends on the watch. TT can be done well (I would argue the root beer) or badly (often the most garish bright yellow gold examples). It’s the very garish TT that drives the divide in opinion. It doesn’t mean every TT watch is seen in the light described above - that’s an over generalisation.
    I would agree, as with most, generalization is usually a bit lazy/inaccurate.

Done right, TT can add X factor e.g. root beer, ceramic sub bluesy, TT Daytona. I guess a lot of people may have in mind the quintessential TT, an old datejust 36 champagne dial, fluted bezel, jangly jubilee and I would agree this is probably a few generations past cool, though some younger people these days might wear with nostalgia, with bit of irony as heirloom watch. For datejust TT, I particularly like the modern rose gold TT, like the one that was on SC, add a few diamond markers on the dial even better!

Master
    Tastes change with age, doesn’t necessarily mean you’re getting old! Just wear what you like !

Dave

I wouldn't normally respond to something like this but as you are one of the more sensible ones around here, I will.

The simple fact is no one slags off leather straps, they seem to meet with universal approval.

Another simple fact is that you hardly get any comments on SS bracelet, they are OK.

Another simple fact is that YG bracelets attract a few comments because the wearer is looking a bit affluent.

However TT has always courted more criticism and sneers than all of the other types of bracelet put together. Whether you like it or not, TT is not universally loved and has always attracted the nouveau riche image. I am certainly not alone in that opinion.
    I don’t disagree with any of that Mick, with the proviso that those are the views that are mainly expressed by Watch snobs (myself included). The general public don’t actually give it any thought beyond “nice watch”!

Your previous post however, didn’t say that. What you did was to make derogatory generalisations about individuals you know nothing about, based purely on the watch they choose to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    There’s a thread on here where a few of us calculated the value of gold in either a sub or gmt and got a value of £2-3k including the bracelet.
    Yes I believe I was one of the ones with a calculator out on that thread, if it's the one I'm thinking of

will have to pluck up some courage and visit an AD and see if i am allowed to even try one on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Sounds like something from a 70s sitcom
    Well the TT looked like something from the 70s.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    So, for a long time now I have owned/ loved many s/s sports watches throughout the ages, but in the last few weeks i keep thinking of a watch with a touch of gold on it would be nice.Is this something I need to be worried about at 54yrs young ?
    Not at all!

I really like the latest Root beer by Rolex the rose coloured gold seems to call me more than the usual yellow gold, probably a daft question,are these as popular as the s/s watches?
    TT seem to be less popular than SS.

hard to get at dealerships ?
    Not as difficult as SS, probably need to check your local AD.

Does any one on here own one,would be interested in your views on the watch
    The CHNR is superb TT example, very wearable.

I did own a TT GMT aka Rootbeer, and also the TT YM. I am a watch tart and both have moved on for further trinkets. Both YM TT and GMT TT had TT bracelets.

I do love the RG Rolex (roselor), so much so that I now have the solid gold YM40 RG 40mm with the new 3235 movement and solid gold clasp with glidelock on Oysterflex.

pictures:

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 17th April 2022 at 21:45.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    I’ve never been one for bi-metal/two-tone watches, but the new gen rose gold Rolexes has made me seriously reconsider my opinion.
    If it’s within your price range and you like them, I say go for it.
    Life’s too short etc. and besides, if you opt for one and finds it’s not for you, it’s near impossible to take a major hit should you decide to move it on.
    ( I’m 44 and never looked twice at two-tone rollies before, maybe it is an age thing ? )

No, it means that you've opened your mind.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Funnily enough I was in Bridgenorth on Saturday evening. An elderly gentleman in a smart suit and hat was lighting up a cigarette and I noticed he was wearing a two tone dj36 with champagne dial and diamond indices. It looked absolutely tailor made for him and very classy. Pretty sure it was a 5 digit or older.

In a nice restaurant in Bahrain just before lockdown, a casually dressed guy in his late 30s/early 40s was rocking a two tone sub (black dial) on the table next to us. It looked absolutely killer.

I tried the latest bluesy on recently and it was stunning but quite a bit louder than the black dial version.

I think there is a place for two tone and they will stand up to every day wear better than full gold.

Apprentice
    I hear you.I’ve only had steel watches until a year ago when I bought a serti sub,instantly loved the gold and soon got the full gold sub.
    Love the watch,wish I’d of bought it ten years ago.If it means I’m old so what?Attachment 19346Attachment 19347

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I don't really like TT bracelets from an aesthetic perspective but if you do, that's what matters.
    I think anyone that thinks they can pull something off generally can because it's their own attitude that dictates it more than anything.

I am really liking the trend of rose bezel, stainless case on leather or silicone that's starting to crop up though so perhaps I'm soon to be a TT bracelet person as well.

I personally couldn’t pull off a two tone DJ, but a two tone sub/CHNR? Gorgeous pieces.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I really like steel and rose gold. Modern mix imo, more so than steel and yellow gold.

Craftsman
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned skin colour or tone, or hair colour etc as I think that has a big influence on how different coloured watches look when worn. A friend of mine in his late 40's bought a root beer a couple of years ago and I did raise an eyebrow when he told me that was the one he was waiting for. Would have been the last one I'd have chosen, but when it arrived I was surprised how much I liked it and how well it seemed to suit him. I tried it (in the summer, with a bit of a tan) and even quite liked it on myself. Not sure if rose gold will have the enduring classic appeal of YG (for those who like it) or SS though. I guess we'll see in 5-10 years time.

Grand Master
    I don't see it as a skin tone issue, you either like a certain material or you don`t. I used to like vintage rose gold watches very much in the past but the gold colour clashes with a yellow gold wedding ring if I'm being picky, thankfully I`ve reached the age when I`m past caring about these things!

Years ago I really fancied a rose gold/steel 36mm Omega Aqua Terra, after much searching I found a nice one. However, I never really bonded with it, I like bimetal watches but prefer yellow gold to rose and I only realised after wearing the watch. I kept it around 12 months and sold it on.

Each to their own, I still like vintage rose gold watches on a strap.

No, just means you have taste. Good taste.

Craftsman
    Speaking as someone who is very nearly old enough to qualify for his fourth jab, my collection comprises fourteen steel, one YG, one RG and one WG (all three watches suitable to dressing up, and all of course on alligator). I wear steel almost all of the time -- saving the precious metal to give a sense of occasion.

Conclusion: OFs can and do wear steel, and most don't feel the need to flash precious metal in everyday activities.

Two additional curmudgeonly views:
    -- I think that gold "sports" watches look ostentatious and faintly ridiculous -- not something for a refined gentleman.
    -- The only watch I think is improved by TT is the Cartier Santos, and that strikes me as very comely indeed.