closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Has anyone vinyl wrapped their own car

Has anyone vinyl wrapped their own car

Help and advice accepted

Don't do it - it's one for the pro's.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have visions of a car that looks like my attempts at wrapping the Xmas presents😂😂

I Anaglypta wrapped my Volvo 240.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Don't do it - it's one for the pro's.
    Yes if you want to spend 2/3k, my car isn't worth it

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    I have visions of a car that looks like my attempts at wrapping the Xmas presents
    Sounds like me, useless at wrapping presents. Not much better at wallpapering either.

Without experience and a very clean working environment I can see this ending badly! Years ago I fitted new stripes to a limited edition MGB and that was hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Help and advice accepted
    How good are you with removing and re-fitting car body parts. A large part of a good full vinyl wrap is removing trim panels, bumpers, grills, lights, seals, handles, badges etc. wrapping and refitting.

I know the work that goes into wrapping vehicles having designed many, and had a lot of vans wrapped. Unless you have the equipment, tools, workshop and time to do the job properly I'd leave it to a professional.

Try M4 if you're in the North:
    https://www.m4uk.com/vehicles

Not a full wrap but I had a local pro de-chrome my car. £300 well spent and I could never have dreamed of doing it myself - curves, grills and door handles are best left to the experts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    How good are you with removing and re-fitting car body parts. A large part of a good full vinyl wrap is removing trim panels, bumpers, grills, lights, seals, handles, badges etc. wrapping and refitting.

I know the work that goes into wrapping vehicles having designed many, and had a lot of vans wrapped. Unless you have the equipment, tools, workshop and time to do the job properly I'd leave it to a professional.

Try M4 if you're in the North:
    https://www.m4uk.com/vehicles
    I won't be removing any parts

What could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    What could possibly go wrong?

Blimey

I won't be removing any parts
    Then walk away from DIY, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Then walk away from DIY, trust me.
    I've had quotes to have it done, none involving removing anything

A decent 'invisible' wrap needs some stuff removing.

How it's done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry0YoIezvH4

I’ve done 2 motorcycle tanks and that was enough to prove to me that there’s a lot of skill involved in doing a decent job on a car.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Go for it! Let's see the before and after results. I mean, how hard can it be? Chav-looking types with a face full of metal and wearing baseball caps back to front do it. Don't be discouraged by the naysayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Go for it! Let's see the before and after results. I mean, how hard can it be? Chav-looking types with a face full of metal and wearing baseball caps back to front do it. Don't be discouraged by the naysayers.
    It's not the naysayers that are the issue, it's 2.5k to pay someone, the risk is I waste 300 quid on vinyl rather than another G shock

I feel like Oliver Twist holding a bowl out and been shouted at 'get a job you lazy oik'

A) the car doesn't warrant 2/3k spending on a wrap
    B) I'm not bothered if I waste 300 quid on wrap botching myself, I waste that on watches every week
    C) I'm an arty type and think I might be able to manage a crack

It won’t hide anything other than faded paint.

Dents and rust will show through the vinyl.

Door handles, shark fins, spoilers etc aren’t easy

Sharp corners such as the corner of the bonnet at the windscreen are also difficult.

Depending on the colour of the car and the colour of the vinyl the shuts and returns will look odd.

You’d also need a selection of squeegees, wrap tape, scalpel, vinyl tools, cleaners, a stool and a heat gun. Oh and a second pair of hands would help

Not all vinyl works the same. You’d want a wrapping grade vinyl from a decent manufacturer. Chrome vinyl etc is very difficult

What’s the car, colour and vinyl colour if you don’t mind me asking?

Other than that it can be fun. It’s the finishing that lets wraps down. Large panels aren’t too difficult but an understanding on how vinyl behaves is useful.

I’d recommend watching as many you tube videos as you can stomach. Most of the vinyl manufacturers have channels with advice
    Last edited by acg; 16th April 2022 at 10:01.

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    It won’t hide anything other than faded paint.

Dents and rust will show through the vinyl.

Door handles, shark fins, spoilers etc aren’t easy

Sharp corners such as the corner of the bonnet at the windscreen are also difficult.

Depending on the colour of the car and the colour of the vinyl the shuts and returns will look odd.

You’d also need a selection of squeegees, wrap tape, scalpel, vinyl tools, cleaners, a stool and a heat gun. Oh and a second pair of hands would help

Not all vinyl works the same. You’d want a wrapping grade vinyl from a decent manufacturer. Chrome vinyl etc is very difficult

What’s the car, colour and vinyl colour if you don’t mind me asking?
    MX5 soft top
    Silver
    Hexis matte black, need 12 MTRS so about 300 quid

Should have been able to guess an mx5 :)

Go for it. An mx5 has easy curves so shouldn’t be too hard. Front bumper probably the trickiest.

Remove the lights and badges if possible though.

The main issue will be silver door shuts and under the bonnet etc but if you’re happy with the contrast then go for it.

Don’t expect to finish it in a day though, indoors would be best obviously with plenty of space around the car and order more vinyl than you think you need

Is it possible to buy a small amount of the stuff and have a go on one of your doors or whatever.

If you can do one pannel to the standard you want then buy the full amount needed.

If it goes wrong then no big loss.

Master
    I tried, big simple flatish panels are reasonably easy, anything intricate,compound curves etc, its not as easy as they make it look.

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Should have been able to guess an mx5 :)

Go for it. An mx5 has easy curves so shouldn’t be too hard. Front bumper probably the trickiest.

Remove the lights and badges if possible though.

The main issue will be silver door shuts and under the bonnet etc but if you’re happy with the contrast then go for it.

Don’t expect to finish it in a day though, indoors would be best obviously with plenty of space around the car and order more vinyl than you think you need
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Is it possible to buy a small amount of the stuff and have a go on one of your doors or whatever.

If you can do one pannel to the standard you want then buy the full amount needed.

If it goes wrong then no big loss.
    Great shout, think I'll do that

Craftsman
    Ive seen lots of people fail. On FaceBook pages, as I own an MX-5. Very popular with the utes.

Craftsman
    I owned a Westfield in partnership with a friend

We had this mad idea to wrap it like one of the old 2nd world war bombers with the ladies down the side (lady be good, lucky lady etc) with flames and bullet holes

It quickly became apparent that it’s an expensive business best left to the pros unless in our case you wanted a half decent car wrapped in tin foil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, no and thrice no.

Genuine question as I had never even heard of this before, why would you even want to?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Genuine question as I had never even heard of this before, why would you even want to?
    Because a respray costs a much more and wraps have far more choice of colours and effects

The nearest I've come to doing it was putting privacy tints in the windows of a bay window vw camper. It was a success but a horrible job, and that was on flat panes of glass, I couldn't imagine pulling the same job off on the curves, contours, corners, door handles etc of a car. In other words.....don't.

Because a respray costs a much more and wraps have far more choice of colours and effects
    Would it not run the risk of the first scrape, stone hit it etc it would look awful?

Having read this thread I took a look at a few youtube videos of this and even one where it was taken off. Can the car actually be returned back to its original look or will it look like as some seemed to, like it had bits of sellotape stuck to it?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Would it not run the risk of the first scrape, stone hit it etc it would look awful?

Having read this thread I took a look at a few youtube videos of this and even one where it was taken off. Can the car actually be returned back to its original look or will it look like as some seemed to, like it had bits of sellotape stuck to it?
    No idea tbh, still researching

Journeyman
    What about a spray wrap as an alternative. Should be less than £1K for an MX5 if they do it or way cheaper if you DIY.

https://www.matt-pack.co.uk/PBCPPlayer.asp?ID=2278552

Quote Originally Posted by SlipperySam View Post
    What about a spray wrap as an alternative. Should be less than £1K for an MX5 if they do it or way cheaper if you DIY.

https://www.matt-pack.co.uk/PBCPPlayer.asp?ID=2278552
    Yeah just discovered this earlier today!

Journeyman
    I’ve done individual parts and it’s pretty easy but never done a full car. Their prices seem pretty cheap for the basic service with them spraying it though.

Not sure if it's related to the link above however type in "plasti dip car" into YT's search function. I plasti-dipped the rear diffuser on my Lotus to match the wheel colour, I could pretty much guarantee it'll be easier than vinyl wrapping!

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Not sure if it's related to the link above however type in "plasti dip car" into YT's search function. I plasti-dipped the rear diffuser on my Lotus to match the wheel colour, I could pretty much guarantee it'll be easier than vinyl wrapping!
    It's not easier if you have to take the car apart
    Last edited by Daveya.; 17th April 2022 at 21:19.

I sprayed the diffuser in-situ, just masked the area off and went at it - once dry any overspray is dead easy to remove anyway.

Master
    I did a two-tone 'Viper stripe' over my GT86 and also wrapped the door mirror shells more recently.

You'll need to buy the heat gun, tools such as squeegee and knifeless tape - you never put a blade against paintwork! I found 80% of time was in prep work on the paint, laying the knifeless tape pattern etc. It's easyish on simple curves, once you have compound curves and are using heat on the vinyl it get trickier very quickly. I screwed up one of the silver vinyl pieces even on a 'simple' job

Last edited by J J Carter; 17th April 2022 at 21:44.