closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Malta

Malta

We’re booked to go to Malta and having never been before am looking for any car hire recommendations. We’ll most likely be staying at the Radisson Blu Golden Sands as we have two kids and it’s on the beach. Is it best to hire from the airport or get a car at the hotel? Most airport companies have dire reviews so any experience welcome. I’ve found one or two family run hire firms (Mirage) that seem to get much better reviews.

I always take the extra insurance anyway as can’t be hassled with the argument.

Also any other recommendations, I know there are several Malta threads on here so will check those out too.

Paging draftsmann, draftsmann to the G&D please!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    When I was demobbing from a job there, it seemed easier to take the bus rather than use a car.

Master
    We had the same problem. All reviews bad. Once hired there previously and experience was awful and got ripped off totally when we returned it.

So this time we simply weren’t going to hire a car. But whilst out there had a local recommendation and would use this one over and over. They didn’t charge a deposit and in fact he didn’t take my card or even charge me until I returned the car. When I simply paid in cash. New car. Clean. Friendly. Can’t complain about anything. So much easier to explore the islands with a car so it transformed the holiday for us.

The number is on the site under the car hire contacts section. Best to call to arrange. Chap is called Mario. He also delivered it and collected it from our hotel when we needed it.

https://www.percius.com/index.html#contact

The big chains will give you a better car which will be clean and problem free and you’ll pay for the privilege.

The small family car hire places are often cheaper but the experience can be hit and miss to say the least. The island isn’t really a place for pleasurable motoring but a 15 year old Kia with stained seats and supplied with a full ashtray won’t enhance it.

To be serious, some small hire places do also sting tourists over bumper scratches and suchlike. Whoever you hire from, go around the car when you pick it up and photograph and note any damage, and I suggest WhatsApping the pics to the hire company guy before you even drive off his forecourt.

I’m sorry I never need to hire a car and don’t know anyone in the business so can’t make a recommendation.

Master
    I've hired from both Gold car and Avis, both trouble free, however for Malta I always go for full insurance option!

Master
    I remember going there in 2012, not long after BoJo sold a number of "bendy buses" that were reportedly unsuitable for London streets. If ever there was a vehicle less suited to its environment I'd be surprised.

That said most of the island was reasonably accessible by bus.

Sorry I can't answer the question OP. Just reminded me of a pleasant break away with the family.

Enjoy your holiday.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

I've used the buses there. They take forever to get anywhere.
    I wouldn't bother myself, but I can see the temptation to use a car.

On a complete tangent, the airport lounge there is superb. One of the best I've been in (and I've been in a few).

This is so true. My brother goes to Malta every year, he must have been 20 times, and the one time he chose a local car hire company over a major one he had this experience; 20 year old Fiat Panda with one wing mirror, a slipping clutch and a gear stick that was prone to lifting out in his hand. The roads there aren't for the feint-hearted mind. Be aware that right-of-way belongs to the biggest vehicle so you'll need to stop even on a roundabout if the vehicle looking to enter the roundabout is bigger than you ;)

You're better off taking the excellent buses.

I should add that Malta is a wonderful country.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    The big chains will give you a better car which will be clean and problem free and you’ll pay for the privilege.

The small family car hire places are often cheaper but the experience can be hit and miss to say the least. The island isn’t really a place for pleasurable motoring but a 15 year old Kia with stained seats and supplied with a full ashtray won’t enhance it.

To be serious, some small hire places do also sting tourists over bumper scratches and suchlike. Whoever you hire from, go around the car when you pick it up and photograph and note any damage, and I suggest WhatsApping the pics to the hire company guy before you even drive off his forecourt.

I’m sorry I never need to hire a car and don’t know anyone in the business so can’t make a recommendation.

My late mum had a massive stroke and passed away on holiday 4 years ago in Malta. She received great care and attention from all the services involved and I feel a strange connection with the island.

I’m looking forward to heading back to see a bit more and will be taking the bus as it is cheap and easy to get around. Driving looked like a white knuckle ride and I don’t fancy meeting my mum on the other side ;-) the locals all seemed lovely and the weather absolutely brilliant!

Tough call .
    The car hire companies can be very hit and miss .
    I’ve paid for upgrades in the past that were odd to say the least.
    Great choice of hotel btw, great spot and good services.
    Me ? ,Personally I’d go to Gozo every day of the week .

I have a soft spot for Malta - been a few times over the years.

The driving is a different experience to what you might be used to - they drive in the shade (mostly) and when negotiating a roundabout you should give way to those entering it. You'll soon adapt.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

You just have to drive like you mean it! In the past our driving was pretty unscientific but it really isn’t anything to fear these days.

If you’re staying in Valletta or elsewhere in the harbour area such as the Three Cities for a short break a car might not be needed, but if you are staying somewhere more out of the way and or really want to explore the island or visit Gozo, I’d recommend getting a car.

Bit of a thread resurrection, but the wife & I are going to Bugibba (St Pauls Bay) next September.

We will want to have a look round the Island & we've often hired a (125cc at least) scooter in the past to do this. Seems like it might be a sensible move, as from the research done, car parking in the towns that time of year could be a bit of a challenge.

I'm not too fazed by dodgy traffic having ridden on the Greek Islands & toured Vietnam on a motorbike, but is this a stupid idea?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    When I was demobbing from a job there, it seemed easier to take the bus rather than use a car.
    That's what we did, bus service was good.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Another vote for the bus service. As long as you are not trying to get anywhere late at night it's brilliant and sticks to the timetable well. The fact that you can still get tickets for a number of days adds to the attraction.

Buses are excellent and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    That's what we did, bus service was good.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Bit of a thread resurrection, but the wife & I are going to Bugibba (St Pauls Bay) next September.

We will want to have a look round the Island & we've often hired a (125cc at least) scooter in the past to do this. Seems like it might be a sensible move, as from the research done, car parking in the towns that time of year could be a bit of a challenge.

I'm not too fazed by dodgy traffic having ridden on the Greek Islands & toured Vietnam on a motorbike, but is this a stupid idea?
    Bugibba is chock full of tourist hotels and apartments and while it’s also not short of bars and places to eat I wouldn’t want to spend all my time there.

I only use the buses to go from where I live (Three Cities) to Valletta even though bus travel is now free for residents. It always was the case and may well still be that to get anywhere by bus you had to go via Valletta, which must be a good 1/2hr or more by bus from where you’re staying. If you want to visit the nicer quieter villages and beaches forget about using buses.

That said our roads are much less potholed than they used to be (thank you EU!) but it would take a braver man than me to venture onto them on a scooter.

Parking can be a headache but in a small hire car it shouldn’t be too bad plus in September you’ll want aircon. The car would be the best plan in my opinion.

Master
    We went to Malta with Thompson, their last holiday - and we just got back on practically their last plane lol.
    Anyway, buses were great and cheap. We also used the ferries.
    I usually hire a scooter for a few days when we go on holiday, that was fun in Malta but it's not for the nervous types lol. Very like Italy, which is mad.

The driving has always been pretty hairy. Right of way goes to the bigger vehicle!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    We went to Malta with Thompson, their last holiday - and we just got back on practically their last plane lol.
    Anyway, buses were great and cheap. We also used the ferries.
    I usually hire a scooter for a few days when we go on holiday, that was fun in Malta but it's not for the nervous types lol. Very like Italy, which is mad.

Craftsman
    I’ve been here four years and the number of scooters on the roads has increased a lot. Roads aren’t too bad, there’s been a lot of improvements but parking can be a ball ache. I use a pedelec to get to work and I’ve been ok.

If you decide to hire a car, I can recommend a place in St Paul’s Bay. I’ve used them for years with no issue. The ones at the airport are hit and miss. Some are ok but others are local franchises ran by crooks so best avoided. Goldcar was one, Sicily by car another.