closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhart "Explorer" 39mm

Master

Steinhart "Explorer" 39mm

Noticed this one yesterday. I’m keen to know more about these watches, and I like the look of this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I kinda like it, 39mm is the right size in my eyes.

Blog Entries
    Does it for me! Especially as I’m in EU.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    How do they get away with that close a copy without Rolex suing them?

I know very little about copyright issues etc but surely that breaches Rolex’s copyright in some way - especially the design of the hands?

Doesn’t do it for me. OVM is a much better homage, IMO.

Craftsman
    This does do it for me and hopefully better availability than an actual Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Do you have a link please?

Blog Entries
    do you mean this one? https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/o...itary-new.html
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post

I know very little about copyright issues etc but surely that breaches Rolex’s copyright in some way - especially the design of the hands?
    Because nobody is mistakenly buying a Steinhart under the assumption that it’s was in fact a Rolex. No matter how much it looks like it. And that is the essential core of the issue. Also, good luck arguing for a 70 year old handset design that’s been used by countless companies since.

Craftsman
    Another interesting ‘Homage’ from Steinhart at a decent price point.

Craftsman
    Any idea on when they shipping? I was very close to buying the 39mm explorer recently and this would be a nice alternative stop gap

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Precisely.

Craftsman
    Some real world pics here at post 50

https://uhrforum.de/threads/neue-uhr....505775/page-3

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post

It does not say Rolex or Explorer on the dial, so it's advertising itself as a Steinhart and thus is all above board.

Also it is of a quality well below that of Rolex, so overall it is just a bog standard watch that looks a bit like a Rolex but it will fool no one. All perfectly legit.

Master
    It will sell like hot cakes no doubt, especially if you go by the Smiths models of late. I'm surprised it took them this long to release one.

Quote Originally Posted by Oafley Jones View Post
    Because nobody is mistakenly buying a Steinhart under the assumption that it’s was in fact a Rolex. No matter how much it looks like it. And that is the essential core of the issue. Also, good luck arguing for a 70 year old handset design that’s been used by countless companies since.
    Sure, but in the case of their “Double Green” - a more difficult stance to argue

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/p...k-premium.html

There are quite a few Steinharts I really like (especially the Marine models) but many are too close to the ‘originals’ for comfort.

Master
    I think they’ve spoilt it with the naff text on the dial. No need for the OCEAN THIRTY-NINE or the bold ADVENTURE. I’m sure it will be a great watch though for not a lot of money if the Explorer if your thing.

Steinhart "Explorer" 39mm

I find it strangely unappealing. The end link gap is found on all their oyster bracelets, and I find it disconnected and jarring. The quality is good but I prefer their jubilees, which are excellent, as here on my OVM.

The "Explorer" case has none of the elegant lines of either the Rolex (any of them) or Eddie's 36mm Everests. The dial plots look too large but I would say that, owning a Mk1 39mm Explorer with the unlumed 3 6 9. Finally the bezel is too chunky and appears clumsy especially between the lugs, which are too long.

It'll probably be a huge hit for them. :)
    Last edited by dkpw; 16th April 2022 at 06:40.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Sure, but in the case of their “Double Green” - a more difficult stance to argue

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/p...k-premium.html

There are quite a few Steinharts I really like (especially the Marine models) but many are too close to the ‘originals’ for comfort.
    You’d have to demonstrate to the court that Rolex were potentially going to lose business (on a watch they don’t even produce anymore!!!) as customers would mistakenly buy Steinhart’s 670 euro watch thinking it was a Rolex costing multiples of that. Again, it’s not how close something looks that’s really the issue.

I used to really rate Steinhart but I think the longer I’ve been into watches the more my tastes have veered from straight up copy style homages. I like the OVM and the ‘Steve McQueen’ homage, have had both in the past and as they are copies of utterly unattainable watches for me it’s less of an issue.

For some reason I really didn’t like it when they started doing Tudor copies with the snowflake hands - I felt those hands are so unique to Tudor it was just too blatant, whereas Mercedes’ hands are more commonly used by brands.

I owned their Ocean 39 Premium GMT which was nice, more of a proper homage ie taking its cues from other watches while having design DNA of its own. This Explorer copy doesn’t grab me at all. Apart from the blatantness, I also think it’s quite poorly done - the Ocean 39 on the dial looks off as it’s not from their Ocean dive watch range, and the ‘adventure’ text looks a bit naff for me.

I’m sure it’ll sell well, and it’ll be well made at the price like all their watches (drilled lugs is a good touch too) but not one for me.

Master
    But of a completely different watch...

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post

The "Explorer" case has none of the elegant lines of either the Rolex (any of them) or Eddie's 36mm Everests. The dial plots look too large but I would say that, owning a Mk1 39mm Explorer with the unlumed 3 6 9. Finally the bezel is too chunky and appears clumsy especially between the lugs, which are too long.
    It'll probably be a huge hit for them. :)
    And the lugtops are brushed straight instead of circular.

Master
    I think it's very good, not perfect but it's a great watch at a good price.

Craftsman
    Looks great but at 39mm (I know Steinhart only do 39mm & 42mm case size) with that dial size, it looks as though it would wear more like a 41mm/42mm and with the standard long L2L length would just be too big for myself.

Having borrowed a Explorer 214270 mk2 for a short while, I even felt this was a little too big for my 7.25 inch wrist and much prefer the 36mm size of my Smiths Everest which I feel have the best overal proportions for this style of watch....but as they say, each to their own.

I'm sure it will be a massive seller for Steinhart and wouldn't be surprised if they run out of their intial stock pretty quickly.

Craftsman
    Just arrived today. I know not everyone is happy with it but it scratches my explorer itch and at the price quite happy with it

Lovely. In your pics it seems to be just different enough from its inspiration; oversized hour markers, dial text and the trademark Steinhart bracelet end links.

Craftsman
    Compared to the explorer I tried on few months ago

Looks nicer in your pictures than it does on the Steinhart website.

Really wish more manufactures (especially web based ones) would use more real world pictures, they're often better than the edited studio ones they use.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Looks far more appealing doesn’t it?

Much. Something very false about them.

I'm liking this watch a lot, be interested to see a few more shots from owners.
    Last edited by kace; 27th April 2022 at 13:34.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Looks far more appealing doesn’t it?
    Absolutely and congratulations Mick on your new watch. The Steinharts are great value for money and punch well above that too!
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman
    Lume shot

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post

Really wish more manufactures (especially web based ones) would use more real world pictures, they're often better than the edited studio ones they use.
    Totally agree with this. I often search on Instagram for real world shots of watches as it gives a much better idea of how it might look, especially dial colours and strap options etc.