closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E10 Petrol Issues

I've had e5 in carbed bikes for >5 years (and eqp for the last year or so). Probably done 60 miles in that time.
    With fuel stabilizer....

No issues so far.

Sent from my Lenovo K12 Note using Tapatalk
    Last edited by farquare; 1st June 2022 at 20:42.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I can’t believe we are at 48 comments . Its simple , if you run a carburettor bike or car with no ecu then E10 is rubbish. Use Super/ Premium/ exceptional whatever they call it , but buy the best you can.

Secondly, winter time if winterising a classic vehicle either, drain the fuel system carbs tank , use a stabilizer such as Briggs and stratton fuel fit or use Aspen. End off

E5 rots neoprene fuel pipes , embrittles o ring in the carb and generally screws up carbs when left over winter.

I have removed fuel lines supposedly ethanol proof from bikes after two years. You could use them as coat hangers they are that stiff.

Forget waiting for the scientific facts, E10 is here and as an owner of multiple classic vehicles I have seen first hand the chaos it causes.

Sorry guys rant over.
    Holley four barrel carburettors often have a solid balance pipe between the two float chambers. This is sealed with an o ring each end, which if they leak can lead to a rapid warming of the engine compartment, and a visit from your local fire brigade.

Hope E10 doesn't degrade those!

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

^^^^I agree on this
    I use Aspen in my garden machinery and about November,Run a litre or 2 through the bike. As it probably won’t be used until spring
    I put superplus in it anyway but Alkylate fuel is different chemistry.
    ( I’ve been making petrol as a production supervisor for ExxonMobil for 37 years, less so for the last 3)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    I’m my early career while refuelling Aircraft when we checked AVGAS for water contamination in the mornings, the samples went into our cars. That was 100 but sometimes we got batches of 120 for a couple of things with Merlins in them that didn’t work so well in car engines ?? then a lot of mixing took place. Still killed the engines but it was a fairly easy change from the scrappy.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Nothing like a fuel contamination scare to ruin your day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Some other variables have influenced this behaviour.

Have to smile at Brian’s inference that I don’t care about my machines! Having spent a career in the chemical industry in a scientific function I don’t gave a problem with the science either.

I did a bit if reading in an attempt to understand the potential corrosion issues, nothing seemed to equate with the adverse effects people are claiming.

I’m trying to remain objective and open- minded, Brian doesn’t seem to like that! Rest assured, like my watch collection my classic car is at the opposite end of the scale to worthless shit!

Unfortunately, for several reasons my MG still isn’t getting used so I can’t comment on whether it likes e10 or not, but I can confirm that the Honda lawnmower seems perfectly happy.

One point I do worry about us the consistency of e10 and whether the ethanol content will vary, if minor adjustments to carburettor settings or jetting are required this will be a problem.

Ooooooh ! no need to throw your dummy out old man I meant rat engines that some of us have not your pride and joy. No inference meant - have a cranberry juice :-)

B

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    ^^^^I agree on this
    ( I’ve been making petrol as a production supervisor for ExxonMobil for 37 years, less so for the last 3)
    How much MTBE goes in thesedays?

None in the us, med or nwe.enclaves.

Some in gulf and far east.

Sent from my Lenovo K12 Note using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I can’t believe we are at 48 comments . Its simple , if you run a carburettor bike or car with no ecu then E10 is rubbish. Use Super/ Premium/ exceptional whatever they call it , but buy the best you can.

Secondly, winter time if winterising a classic vehicle either, drain the fuel system carbs tank , use a stabilizer such as Briggs and stratton fuel fit or use Aspen. End off

E5 rots neoprene fuel pipes , embrittles o ring in the carb and generally screws up carbs when left over winter.

I have removed fuel lines supposedly ethanol proof from bikes after two years. You could use them as coat hangers they are that stiff.

Forget waiting for the scientific facts, E10 is here and as an owner of multiple classic vehicles I have seen first hand the chaos it causes.

Sorry guys rant over.
    This is NOT a rant but it is very sound advice.
    I have experienced carb and tank issues with BMW/BSA/Triumph classic bikes. I test local E5 fuels for Ethanol and how so far found Esso to be the only ethanol free Super out there.
    Interesting that the switch to E10 was an EU initiative that we have followed despite "having taken back control" (LOL).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uptheaddicks View Post
    This is NOT a rant but it is very sound advice.
    I have experienced carb and tank issues with BMW/BSA/Triumph classic bikes. I test local E5 fuels for Ethanol and how so far found Esso to be the only ethanol free Super out there.
    Interesting that the switch to E10 was an EU initiative that we have followed despite "having taken back control" (LOL).
    Cheers for that^^^^^^^^^. I just get so fed up of folk with three year old Ford Focus’s saying “ makes no difference to me” too right it doesnt. You dont have mixed metal carbs, bikes that “rest” from Nov to March, and lots of rubber fuel pipes.

I put Redex in after a fill in both cars.