closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Grand Seiko 36mm 44GS Case

New Grand Seiko 36mm 44GS Case

Yes, this is another Grand Seiko limited edition, but it looks incredible. Another major watch brand jumping on Eddie's 36mm band wagon.

A fantastic dress piece in the iconic 44GS case. I really admire they've chosen not to use a display case back to keep measurements down.

I have longed for a clean designed Grand Seiko 3 hander, no date and manual wound. Frustratingly it's been announced just after I bought the Lake Suwa; my wallet hasn't recovered yet. Still, I've placed a deposit on one and I'm looking forward to seeing it in the metal.

I've no affiliation with monochrome, however here is a link to a nice write up and further pictures.

https://monochrome-watches.com/grand...ands-on-price/

Agreed it looks rather good.

I am tempted, but will probably wait for the inevitable releases in other colours. Hopefully blue and green.

Nice to see a dress watch in an appropriately sized case. Although, for a 36mm watch, it probably has the wrong name on the dial to be acceptable to most.

Meh, one of Eddie's much nicer.

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Nice to see a dress watch in an appropriately sized case. Although, for a 36mm watch, it probably has the wrong name on the dial to be acceptable to most.
    That is becoming evident with the low traction this thread has Vs the 36mm explorer thread that everyone wet themselves over.

Lot of people have wished for a smaller GS..the 44GS case has always been complimented and when GS deliver.....nothing. just my 2 pennies worth.

Journeyman
    This is a beaut! Smaller Grand Seikos with this sort of style are by far the nicest of the GS range.
    I’m not a fan of the GS divers and other chunky watches. I personally think that Seikos and Grand Seikos do best in the more dressier space.

This is a lovely watch but for me, 36mm is just too small. I have quite small wrists but I still struggle with such a small watch. 40mm seems to be my sweet spot.

Curiously, I was in the GS boutique in London last year and discussed with another customer that I'd been looking at the SBGA413. His comment was "is that the 'pink' one" and when I said yes he ended the conversation. It seems that there's still a proportion of the male part of society that struggles to cope with the idea of a pink dial on their wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    This is a lovely watch but for me, 36mm is just too small. I have quite small wrists but I still struggle with such a small watch. 40mm seems to be my sweet spot.

Curiously, I was in the GS boutique in London last year and discussed with another customer that I'd been looking at the SBGA413. His comment was "is that the 'pink' one" and when I said yes he ended the conversation. It seems that there's still a proportion of the male part of society that struggles to cope with the idea of a pink dial on their wrist.
    Stick a pink dial on a certain Swiss watch and it's hyped beyond sense. Men will happily wear a pink shirt but a pink watch....no no no

Not sure about the hands, they look bevelled but not dauphine or sword as with other smaller GS? Also shame it doesn't have a capped seconds hand.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Master
    Gotta say I think that's really lovely. Combination of good size, 44GS case, no date and a lovely dial, all with GS finishing.
    Interesting choice on 36.5mm, and the 44GS in a smaller size. Can see the soft pink colour timing (exactly on sakura timing in Japan), but I wonder if they'll do other colours, or strictly for cherry blossom.

Craftsman
    Looks just like my 36mm SUR315P1 minus the date complication

I didn't expect a smaller 44GS from Grand Seiko. I think the original was 37.9mm so this is quite a departure.

Will have to try one on when I'm next in the London boutique.

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Gotta say I think that's really lovely. Combination of good size, 44GS case, no date and a lovely dial, all with GS finishing.
    Interesting choice on 36.5mm, and the 44GS in a smaller size. Can see the soft pink colour timing (exactly on sakura timing in Japan), but I wonder if they'll do other colours, or strictly for cherry blossom.
    Other colours is my only reservation of this watch. I really like the pink and would prefer a lighter coloured dial anyway. My frustration with Grand Seiko is their constant flurry of limited editions. They have a recent track record of LE being followed by very similar designs; different colour dial, differently movement maybe, same dial in a different case... It makes committing to LE a tad nervy, as it's quite likely a cheaper production model that looks very similar could be available months later.

Although this could put me off; when I was in the Boutique during the week they said they've never had more interest in GS. The salesman said he was also annoyed by the constant stream of limited editions, but people are more switched on to the brand than ever. Clearly GS are doing something right.

This is a good move in my opinion.

GS were missing a smaller sized watch with a mechanical movement. I think the SBGX quartz offerings were the smallest watches in their range at 37mm and 11mm thick, before this release.

The 44GS style case will probably offer a bit more presence and balance nicely with the 36mm size.

Can’t wait to see more dial variations.

Master
    Very nice, a blue dial would be epic! Size would be perfect for me too

Master
    Can totally see how that would drive some people mad - especially retailers - but I actually like the limited editions.
    Someone like Rolex is more having standard models in defined ranges, and that's what you get. For GS many things are like that - I have a Snowflake, and it's the same as every other one bar maybe changing the strap. However dig a bit and you find 'Ginza only' or 'Wako only' limited edition GS, sometimes down to only 15 pieces worldwide. It's a pain to handle, but it can mean if you hunt you may get something that is not far off unique to you, but at a (relatively!) accessible price point. I rather like that.

The SBGE001 / SBGE201 is a good example - standard black GMT spring drive, but there are several limited editions in differing colours, the chance to own that watch but with a rarity and different twist.

I suppose it's also not a bad way to test the market. For example the SBGY003 limited came out - likely it went well, as a bit later it was followed by the general release 'Omitawari' (SBGY007). So they may see how a smaller 44GS goes, and other models may follow.

Nomos seem similar - go on C24 and search Nomos limited. There are so many of them, often in limited runs of 100 or less, celebrating some jeweller or a particular relationship.

In a world of mass market I quite like there being the chance of a bit more individual variation even among the same basic design.

That’s a lovely looking watch. I really like GS and I applaud how they’ve managed to pull themselves further upmarket but I wish they would slow down a bit.

I appreciate that the combination of jazzy dials, angled surfaces, ultra high polish etc are part of the USP but personally, I’m not a huge fan. If they toned down the design a bit, it would be even better. Stick it on a plain brushed 3-link bracelet, maybe a white / pale cream dial (keep it textured by all means) and it would be super elegant. I really like this watch but a bit too much going on

Craftsman
    I love it, but suspect it would look better on a strap. Exactly the right size.

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Can totally see how that would drive some people mad - especially retailers - but I actually like the limited editions.
    Someone like Rolex is more having standard models in defined ranges, and that's what you get. For GS many things are like that - I have a Snowflake, and it's the same as every other one bar maybe changing the strap. However dig a bit and you find 'Ginza only' or 'Wako only' limited edition GS, sometimes down to only 15 pieces worldwide. It's a pain to handle, but it can mean if you hunt you may get something that is not far off unique to you, but at a (relatively!) accessible price point. I rather like that.

The SBGE001 / SBGE201 is a good example - standard black GMT spring drive, but there are several limited editions in differing colours, the chance to own that watch but with a rarity and different twist.

I suppose it's also not a bad way to test the market. For example the SBGY003 limited came out - likely it went well, as a bit later it was followed by the general release 'Omitawari' (SBGY007). So they may see how a smaller 44GS goes, and other models may follow.

Nomos seem similar - go on C24 and search Nomos limited. There are so many of them, often in limited runs of 100 or less, celebrating some jeweller or a particular relationship.

In a world of mass market I quite like there being the chance of a bit more individual variation even among the same basic design.
    This is a well considered reply. I like it, and on balance I agree with you. It is nice to have a level of individuality.

Here is a good 'Hands-On' article:

https://wornandwound.com/hands-on-wi...-for-the-44gs/

Looking forward to trying one myself next time I visit the London boutique.

Master
    I think that is stunning. A brand is like to own in future

Has anyone picked one of these up? Or seen one in person?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mine arrived yesterday and love it. Size is perfect, with no date and the wider 44GS case it wears bigger than you would think a 36.5 case would.

In natural light the dial is silvery pink. It’s subtle for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like that!

Smaller 44GS case would probably be perfect for me.

Almost like a vintage GS.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 18th June 2022 at 19:26.

A size comparison...

The 36.5mm looks perfect!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That looks great. Love the 44gs style case. I hope one day they will make a 44gs case even closer to the original with the extra bit of metal between the lugs. I do like that more squared, sharper more industrial look.

Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    That looks great. Love the 44gs style case. I hope one day they will make a 44gs case even closer to the original with the extra bit of metal between the lugs. I do like that more squared, sharper more industrial look.
    They did one in 2013 - SBGW047

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    They did one in 2013 - SBGW047
    And very cool it is too....

https://www.fratellowatches.com/hand...bgw047-review/

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Indeed. Miss mine a lot. Stupid one watch rule…

Yep, you should have kept that one!

But then, I should have kept my SBGR095...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Yep, you should have kept that one!

But then, I should have kept my SBGR095...
    Ah the 095. I did own it twice

That is very nice indeed. It’s a truly timeless design.

Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    That is very nice indeed. It’s a truly timeless design.
    The only watch I ever regretted selling

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Mine arrived yesterday and love it. Size is perfect, with no date and the wider 44GS case it wears bigger than you would think a 36.5 case would.

In natural light the dial is silvery pink. It’s subtle for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s a great pick up. Well done. I was a bit cold on it initially but It looks great in your photos

Journeyman
    Mine arrived yesterday and buying it has caused a lot of trouble in my household-my wife and daughter want it just as much if not more than me now they have seen it!

Id been deliberating since I first saw it in April and fell in love even though its a little too small for my wrist.I was hoping they had all sold out as that would have made my decision for me but noticed Watches of Switzerland had one on Saturday and gave in and bought it!

It really is a lovely little piece!

Hodinkee had some today for sale in their online store but now sold out

Craftsman
    Very nice, but for me it needs female end links and a plainer bracelet.