closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: THIMC: Amsterdam mayor plans to stop sale of weed to tourists

Blog Entries

THIMC: Amsterdam mayor plans to stop sale of weed to tourists

As per title: To Whom It My Concern: the mayor of Amsterdam launched a plan that will end the sale of cannabis and cannabis products to tourists.

A bad plan, I presume: it will lead to what you don't want: illegal sales by street sellers. Exactly what was eradicated when the coffeeshops opened their doors. And no way that the police etc will be able to control it. Oh well, that's what happens when you try to turn a city into a village again.

It started with the removal of 'Iamsterdam' near the Rijksmuseum. "... because it's not inclusive to use the term 'I'..." then, the beer bike was no longer allowed, Nutella shops are pushed out of the city center, AirBnB is strictly controlled via council tax and now this. On the other hand: houses near the parks are selling for 2, 3, 4 million euros. And are sold to foreign investors who leave the homes empty.

Mind you: we (Dutch) are always look down on tourists with a joint. 10 out of 10 that every time we smell a joint, it's a tourist lurking on a 'pretsigaret' ('have-fun-cigarette butt' would be a close translation). Dutch people buy it and smoke it at home. The only Dutch 'outdoor smokers' are what you would call 'Asbos' or similar. Therefore, a tourist with a joint is categorized as an 'Asbo'.
    Last edited by thieuster; 12th April 2022 at 14:15.

Grand Master
    Whilst the experience in Amsterdam is great to tick a box it is over priced and not the best environment to enjoy the herb, allegedly!
    RIAC

Master
    Every country dislikes tourists, they like the money they bring but not the tourists themselves. It's a bloody foreigner sort of thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Every country dislikes tourists, they like the money they bring but not the tourists themselves. It's a bloody foreigner sort of thing.
    Here, not in general. This only applies to our view on Germans... But that's more like a little brother -we - that's bickering about his bigger brother. When push comes to shove, Dutch and Germans are alike. We only look down on the spliff-smoking community.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Here, not in general. This only applies to our view on Germans... But that's more like a little brother -we - that's bickering about his bigger brother. When push comes to shove, Dutch and Germans are alike. We only look down on the spliff-smoking community.
    No one likes the bloody Germans, they have been a pain in the arse for the last couple of hundred years.

The Spanish really hate campervans because they are seen as freeloaders and they chuck their dung and urine all over the place.

The English bung wet wipes down the loo and are the main cause of blockages. They are also accused of wearing 5 year old Speedos that have gone opaque and it lets their bits show through.

You do sound like the stereotypical immigrant Brit.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    I have never wore Speedos.

I said you sound like, not look like.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

R
    I am not an immigrant and I have to live by the 90 day rule. I am a tourist who just happens to own a couple of properties out there.

I thought you'd left here Mick, what happened? The place was curmudgeon-free for a few weeks.

I am not an immigrant and I have to live by the 90 day rule. I am a tourist who just happens to own a couple of properties out there.
    I said you sound like one, not are one.

R

Master
    I said you sound like one, not are one.

R
    I am merely telling you what the Spanish tell me.

I am merely telling you what the Spanish tell me.
    “oriné en tu cerveza, señor”
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Cheap retort and that was simply a case of bringing yesterdays discussion in the bear pit over here.

Master
    Cheap retort and that was simply a case of bringing yesterdays discussion in the bear pit over here.
    Perhaps you’re a touch confused, it was far from a discussion…

Master
    It was a discussion. If anyone over the age of 20 gets wound up over a discussion then they are an idiot. Two differences of opinion should not equate to war.

Even so, you should not bring BP discussions over here.

Master
    It was a discussion. If anyone over the age of 20 gets wound up over a discussion then they are an idiot. Two differences of opinion should not equate to war.

Even so, you should not bring BP discussions over here.
    Neither should you, but you couldn’t help yourself, seems rich to chastise someone for doing what you’ve just done yourself…

Master
    and what have you just done - DUH

No one likes the bloody Germans, they have been a pain in the arse for the last couple of hundred years.

The Spanish really hate campervans because they are seen as freeloaders and they chuck their dung and urine all over the place.

The English bung wet wipes down the loo and are the main cause of blockages. They are also accused of wearing 5 year old Speedos that have gone opaque and it lets their bits show through.
    The Spanish love the Dutch and the Belgium’s because they are buying everything up, they tolerate the British and the Germans because of the revenue they bring in but they don’t like them mainly because they won’t speak Spanish, of course up north they hate anyone who isn’t Spanish

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    The Spanish love the Dutch and the Belgium’s because they are buying everything up, they tolerate the British and the Germans because of the revenue they bring in but they don’t like them mainly because they won’t speak Spanish, of course up north they hate anyone who isn’t Spanish
    Yes the Dutch and Belgiums are buying up the coastal properties like the clappers which is good news for Spain because it reduces the adverse effects of Brexit. The Brits are slowly selling up so they and the Belgiums/Dutch all get on famously and as you say no one likes the Germans because they of who they are.

The strange thing about the Spanish is their regional dislike of each other. The Spanish in this area really hate the population from Madrid in particular because they regard them as rich and arrogant.

However everyone hates the campervanners.

One of my Spanish properties is in a complex with a good mix of English and Spanish. I was voted in again as President yesterday and the Spanish actually stood up and applauded me which was very nice. So now I like the Spanish even more.
    Last edited by Mick P; 13th April 2022 at 14:03.

One of my Spanish properties is in a complex with a good mix of English and Spanish. I was voted in against as President yesterday and the Spanish actually stood up and applauded me which was very nice. So now I like the Spanish even more.
    I do find you amusing Mick..

Yes the Dutch and Belgiums are buying up the coastal properties like the clappers which is good news for Spain because it reduces the adverse effects of Brexit. The Brits are slowly selling up so they and the Belgiums/Dutch all get on famously and as you say no one likes the Germans because they of who they are.

The strange thing about the Spanish is their regional dislike of each other. The Spanish in this area really hate the population from Madrid in particular because they regard them as rich and arrogant.

However everyone hates the campervanners.

One of my Spanish properties is in a complex with a good mix of English and Spanish. I was voted in again as President yesterday and the Spanish actually stood up and applauded me which was very nice. So now I like the Spanish even more.
    Exactly where are you in Spain

This is my niece and nephew https://www.comunimas.es/index.php/es/
    Last edited by adrianw; 13th April 2022 at 14:20.

Blog Entries
    In general, the Dutch aren't too happy with the Spanish rules and laws regarding ownership and other law-related matters. A lot of difference between NW Europe and Spain. As someone from the north, you need a Spanish lawyer before you step into the world of Spanish real estate.

I do wonder what will happen with the real estate owned by Russians, though. There was a time that Russian families stayed near the Costa Blanca during the winter. Russian kids went to Russian schools in towns close to Valencia. I guess that those days are over now.

Back on topic: we like tourists. But especially the younger ones are only here for one thing: booze and weed. Excessive amounts. Last year's Eurovision Songfestival in Rotterdam spiked the sale of weed: 7x more than normal!!! Given the hotelroom prices during that weekend, it's perhaps safe to say that the biggest portion of drugs was sold to the public and contenders of the Songfestival. Not to the tourist-for-a-day. There's no insight on the amount of harddrugs used by the same group.

Master
    San Juan de los Terreros.

San Juan de los Terreros.
    Three hours away

In Haarlem the CoffeeShops already follow the rules proposed in AMS: For sale to residents only for consumption off the premises.

We have one about 500mtrs away up here in suburbia and there is a constant stream of local customers all day, no major issues for the locals and the location has spawned a barber shop & tattoo shop on the next corner.

For the last two years AMS has become somewhat normal, i.e no stench of cheap weed everywhere, but the tourists are coming back and, funnily enough they’re not Brits, but Irish teens…….

And now...

Amsterdam launches stay away...campaign targeting...British...:

Amsterdam has warned rowdy British sex and drug tourists to "stay away".

A digital discouragement campaign targeting men aged 18 to 35 in the UK is being pushed out by the Dutch city's council.

The initiative forms part of efforts to clean up Amsterdam's raunchy reputation as Europe's most liberal party capital.

Typically blunt, the videos show young men staggering in the street, handcuffed by police, finger-printed and having their mugshots taken.

The online ads, highlighting the risks associated with the excessive use of drugs and booze, will be triggered when people in Britain tap in terms like - stag party, cheap hotel or pub crawl Amsterdam.

The message is uncompromising - a long weekend in Amsterdam may create the wrong kind of memories, the escapism you crave in the renowned party capital could result in inescapable convictions...

Blog Entries
    Well Prince Harry might not visit now, so not all bad.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Amsterdam launches stay away...campaign targeting...British...:

Amsterdam has warned rowdy British sex and drug tourists to "stay away".

A digital discouragement campaign targeting men aged 18 to 35 in the UK is being pushed out by the Dutch city's council.

The initiative forms part of efforts to clean up Amsterdam's raunchy reputation as Europe's most liberal party capital.

Typically blunt, the videos show young men staggering in the street, handcuffed by police, finger-printed and having their mugshots taken.

The online ads, highlighting the risks associated with the excessive use of drugs and booze, will be triggered when people in Britain tap in terms like - stag party, cheap hotel or pub crawl Amsterdam.

The message is uncompromising - a long weekend in Amsterdam may create the wrong kind of memories, the escapism you crave in the renowned party capital could result in inescapable convictions...
    They need to target the Irish & Italians too, most of the big groups aren’t British, maybe it’s the frisson of guilt/excitement that attracts the Catholics?

Blog Entries
    We, people who're not living in Amsterdam (or: 020 code), have given up a long time ago. A quick visit for a concert, that's about it. Tinseltown. As an example: The Vermeer exhibition is big-and-boldly advertised on the Rijksmuseum website. Including pics of the The Girl with the Earring painting. They don't tell you that the Girl... will be back again in The Hague starting this Saturday!

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    We, people who're not living in Amsterdam (or: 020 code), have given up a long time ago. A quick visit for a concert, that's about it. Tinseltown. As an example: The Vermeer exhibition is big-and-boldly advertised on the Rijksmuseum website. Including pics of the The Girl with the Earring painting. They don't tell you that the Girl... will be back again in The Hague starting this Saturday!
    Was a very good exhibition, seemed to be full of middle aged + Dutchies and resident ex-pats when we went on. Friday evening. But everyone was scurrying for the team as soon as they left as ‘It’s not like it used to be’ (overheard at leat 3-4 times)