closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Replacement combi boiler advice/recommendation

Replacement combi boiler advice/recommendation

Hi folks,
    Hope you're all well...I'd appreciate some help with choosing a new combi boier...my cr@ppy Ideal combi is approaching 10 years and throughout its life its become triggers broom with most of parts replaced (via a service agreement) but I think the end is nigh...I'm thinking its time to look at a replacement and looking at the usual suspects. I have a detached 2 story home with 4 bedrooms...wife and 2 kids so the heating and showers get a a battering !. I was looking at the usual Woucester Bosch, but interested to hear opinion..Viessmann has been recommend (stainlees steel heat exchanger and long warranty)..also got the usual Vaillant, Potterton etc...help !..thanks in advance

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had our WB in for seven years,been faultless ,just a yearly service.

WB. We had a 35kw put in last year. Transformed the house.

Master

Another vote for Worcester Bosch. Ours is 15 years old. Recently serviced and going strong.

Only trouble in that time was the timer failed. Didn’t bother replacing it. Just turn it on manually when required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    We have a WB coming up to 11 years and not one of their better efforts according to the engineer but all we have had on it is pressure vessel re inflated and a sensor which cost about £60

Master
    Blog Entries

I went WB last time, replaced a potterton (baxi) and I wouldn’t recommend them. BOXT is a good tool to get prices then get a local firm to beat the quote.

Good shout with BOXT thanks...plugged in all my details and its suggested a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 4000 30kw for £2,295 inc installation..10 year warranty..good to have an initial ballpark figure...

Blog Entries
    Have had a Worcester Greenstar 38CD since 2013, faultless . The gas plumber who does the yearly service, who also made the heating system, is Bosch certified. Each time however says that his favourites are Ideal and Vaillant. He claims that the BWs are still 10 yrs old design, while the others have evolved quickly, less finicky regulation, metal parts rather than some plastic (I.é the bleeding nozzle).
    Last edited by Franco; 12th April 2022 at 12:28.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellietwed View Post
    Good shout with BOXT thanks...plugged in all my details and its suggested a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 4000 30kw for £2,295 inc installation..10 year warranty..good to have an initial ballpark figure...
    Blimey, that's seems like a good price, we recently had a Worcester Heatslave 25kw condensing combi installed, it cost us £4.5K, although we have oil as a means of heating.
    So far it's been fine, even had to turn the hot water settings down as it was too hot to hold your hand under.

Master

Our WB green star boiler is now 12 years old. At 8 years old the primary heat exchanger failed but for a minimal call out charge they sent an engineer who replaced the heat exchanger plus anything else that was in any way worn. I’m sure many other companies would have just said it was beyond economical repair. Other than that it has been faultless.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I always go for Vaillant or WB - and I've had no problems with either. In one house we have a Vaillant and in our other house we have a Viessman. I hadn't heard of Viessman before we bought our house (not far from you in fact), but it has served us well these past 11 years [the only downside being not many will cover it as parts are more limited, apparently - so we had to go with Corgi].

Your quoted price seems good - our Vaillant cost £2k 10 years ago, and that was excluding VAT (he was a small and growing business). I was expecting this to have increased to at least £3k now.

Had a Valiant fitted 15 months ago. The guy who fitted it said its mainly metal inside unlike WB. I'm no gas engineer though so he could have been biased. I had an Ideal before and it was junk. The new boiler works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellietwed View Post
    Yes BOXT is good - I used them and gave the quote to the local plumber who got very close once he was aware was under a bit of competition.

If you get one of the newer WBs and have a magna clean fitted you get a 10 year warranty. We replaced a dead Viesmann - they didn't want to help with any repairs as out of warranty (just told us to ring a local engineer who never called back) so I was happy to go with the WB.

Our WB Green Star has been faultless for the last 7 yrs.

Many thanks for all the comments guys...appreciate your thoughts and pointers...does look like WB get a decent vote of confidence and the price looks good so I'll make some enquiries