closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Defender 110 station wagon owners?

Any Defender 110 station wagon owners?

Quick Q. Do the sliding rear windows always rattle or is that something which comes with age as the seals harden and the whole mechanisms loosen? In other words is it a “thing”. New to 110 ownership and going through my list (which involves far more important things than this but important the family enjoys it from day one - need them to bond with it etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they do, drove me mad.
    Used clear silicon sealant to stop it, I am thinking of replace the units with single units though
    Also helps with security as they are pretty easy to open from the outside

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Yes they do, drove me mad.
    Used clear silicon sealant to stop it, I am thinking of replace the units with single units though
    Also helps with security as they are pretty easy to open from the outside
    Thank you. Presumably the sealant meant they no longer opened?

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    Thank you. Presumably the sealant meant they no longer opened?

Yep
    They no longer open. They were never used anyway as I removed the rear seats to max the load area.
    Sorry should have confirmed, I think this issue comes with age although it would not have surprised me if it happened when new.

Aye. That’s what the previous owners of mine did but I need to put them back in to create a fun bus. :-)
    In fact, if you still have your rear seats…

Aye. That’s what the previous owners of mine did but I need to put them back in to create a fun bus. :-)
    In fact, if you still have your rear seats…

Nope sorry did it 2/3 years ago
    Changed all the seats when I got it as they were in a shocking state. I bought them for next to nothing from one of the posh modding firms that tart up defenders. Might be worth giving them a call. Bought an entire original soft interior (seats, carpet, head liner) and put it back in myself over a weekend.
    Works as a weekend shooting truck / tip wagon now.

Very good advice. Need to get in to mine properly but most of the interior is ok (head lining has dropped of course) as it’s only done 73,000 miles from new. New carpets would be a bonus though, and those rear seats and frames.

I have a 90 but the same issue. I have a piece of cloth covered fuel pipe about 10mm diameter which squashes into the gap between the panes of glass really well, stops the rattle and can be removed to open the windows if I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    I have a 90 but the same issue. I have a piece of cloth covered fuel pipe about 10mm diameter which squashes into the gap between the panes of glass really well, stops the rattle and can be removed to open the windows if I want.
    That’s top advice! Thanks.

Should my Defender rattle? Yes, that’s what they do, part of the charm of owning a proper Land Rover.

Master
    The denser white or black foam packaging may also work. I use that to stop vibrations in my Yeti. Good luck with converting the fun waggon .

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    The denser white or black foam packaging may also work. I use that to stop vibrations in my Yeti. Good luck with converting the fun waggon .
    Thanks. It was a CSW originally so it’s all there. Ish!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It was a long time ago, but I think that the window trim from the metro is a tad thicker and slides in. It makes the windows a bugger to open, but allows you to focus on other rattles.

I owned a 1986 110 with a 200tdi conversion that was absolutely bomb proof and surprisingly easy to live with. Fully polybushed.

Absolute rust bucket. Got me across to France though, and lasted a few winters before I sold it on.

Rattles? Probably.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mine doesn't rattle, or leak. FFF said to me 'it's not a Land Rover then!'

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Mine doesn't rattle, or leak. FFF said to me 'it's not a Land Rover then!'
    So true!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

You used to be able to replace the felt runners which would stop it but they were a total cock to do, its either bodge or replace sadly.

Ref the seats which i saw the OP mention in a previous post….inward facing benches in the rear?

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    I owned a 1986 110 with a 200tdi conversion that was absolutely bomb proof and surprisingly easy to live with. Fully polybushed.

Absolute rust bucket. Got me across to France though, and lasted a few winters before I sold it on.

Rattles? Probably.
    I had an ‘88 90 2.5 n/a in my early 20’s. Mate had an ‘86 110 van. We took them across France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria, Italy and Monaco one summer, sleeping by the side of the road at times, climbing big mountains at others! Great summer…rattles, oh yeah and the rest 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    You used to be able to replace the felt runners which would stop it but they were a total cock to do, its either bodge or replace sadly.

Ref the seats which i saw the OP mention in a previous post….inward facing benches in the rear?
    Yes.

Yes.

Just make sure you/they fit the seatbelt brackets which attach to the underside of the seat and drop down to the chassis. Ive seen so many recently that have just been fitted threw the floor with large washers. In the event of an accident they will just pull straight through the floor

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Just make sure you/they fit the seatbelt brackets which attach to the underside of the seat and drop down to the chassis. Ive seen so many recently that have just been fitted threw the floor with large washers. In the event of an accident they will just pull straight through the floor
    Cheers.