closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Garden Weed Burner/Flame Gun

Blog Entries

Garden Weed Burner/Flame Gun

Thinking of giving one ago on tumbled cobble drive and patio instead of weed killer this spring.

Anyone using one???

Ta

Pitch

Yeah, it works ok, takes a bit longer than i thought it would, but it works.

Next time I’m in the barn I’ll get the brand.

The consume gas at a silly rate

They are OK. They do take much longer than I anticipated. I'm back to weedkiller andnpulling them up and use the burner to light the BBQ, Firepit and Log burner.

Master
    I use weedkiller (glyphosate) and then use the gas burner to get rid of the dead foliage a few weeks later when it’s dry.
    Have you seen the price of glyphosate this year? I bought 20L in early 2020 which may have been left from the previous year. The price is marked on the drum - £47.50. Today it’s about £230.
    Last edited by TomGW; 10th April 2022 at 21:22.

Master
    I tried briefly using my map gas gun that I sear my sousvide with but seemed to take forever. No idea on the proper weed versions but I was amazed at the heat I have how long I took.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    I use weedkiller (glyphosate) and then use the gas burner to get rid of the dead foliage a few weeks later when it’s dry.
    Have you seen the price of glyphosate this year? I bought 20L in early 2020 which may have been left from the previous year. The price is marked on the drum - £47.50. Today it’s about £230.
    Blimey - never mind owning sought-after watches... I think I have a drum in the garage

Master
    I have an electric one that is effectively a paint stripper on a stick. You are supposed to treat the weeds over a number of days to kill them off. Or you can burn them to a crisp in one sitting.
    They work, they are pet safe, which was my man reason for getting it and the weeds return which they will for any weed killing strategy that doesn’t involve salting the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    It should be banned.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Great idea for burning things, works well around the block paving and along the house/concrete fence bases

Don’t use weed killers and pesticides … could hurt the children/pets and isn’t kind to Bees which is not cool, we love bees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    It should be banned.
    Exactly !!! I Saw a bit in the tv about the medical affects the other week, but the company still manage to sell it. A bit like the Organo Phosphate in sheep dip denials.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve had a cheap one for years,does the job but you get thro a lot of gas.

Master
    Avoid the one's that use small gas canisters. Pay a bit more and buy the version you connect to a 13kg (ish) gas bottle. You can buy trolleys to wheel the bottle around, but a sack barrow will do the job just as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154852395...3ABFBM0t2o94Jg

IME most people don't use them properly. You don't need to burn the weeds to a crisp or even blacken them, all thats needed is for the flame to be waved over the leaf surface for 3-4 seconds in order to irreversibly damage the cell structure. Horsetail or mares tail weeds need several passes 2-3 weeks apart, most other weeds just one pass.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    IME most people don't use them properly. You don't need to burn the weeds to a crisp or even blacken them, all thats needed is for the flame to be waved over the leaf surface for 3-4 seconds in order to irreversibly damage the cell structure. Horsetail or mares tail weeds need several passes 2-3 weeks apart, most other weeds just one pass.

R
    Surely the roots will still survive and they’ll be back within a week?

Craftsman
    I believe boiling water is quite effective cheap and environmentally friendly

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    I believe boiling water is quite effective cheap and environmentally friendly
    If you add salt to it - it nukes them but take care with the runoff and don't use too much

B

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    Where’s the fun in that? I like to see lots of little smoking ruins in the drive after I’m done.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Exactly !!! I Saw a bit in the tv about the medical affects the other week, but the company still manage to sell it. A bit like the Organo Phosphate in sheep dip denials.
    It’s definitely being phased out. Lots of products now state “glyphosate-free”. No idea how effective the alternatives are.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My dad had a paraffin powered flame gun when I was a child (60 years ago). A fearsome beast it seemed to me at the time - I can still remember the roar! They're still for sale if you've got a lot of ground to cover and are worried about the cost of gas (I presume paraffin is cheaper.. )

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    My dad had a paraffin powered flame gun when I was a child (60 years ago). A fearsome beast it seemed to me at the time - I can still remember the roar! They're still for sale if you've got a lot of ground to cover and are worried about the cost of gas (I presume paraffin is cheaper.. )

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    The modern version is a 'Sheen X300'.

Not cheap but looks like a decent one if you have enough ground to warrant it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0ECKyWrFdc

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    The modern version is a 'Sheen X300'.

Not cheap but looks like a decent one if you have enough ground to warrant it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0ECKyWrFdc

That's so similar to the one we had - though IIRC it was a gold colour. Definitely worth considering for large areas. A tip from Amazon reviews - don't wear rubber boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Surely the roots will still survive and they’ll be back within a week?
    Not IME.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Where’s the fun in that? I like to see lots of little smoking ruins in the drive after I’m done.
    Your gas, your choice. I too did use to burn them until I was shown it wasn’t necessary.

R

Let's face it, it's just a chance for most of us to use a flame thrower!

Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Let's face it, it's just a chance for most of us to use a flame thrower!

Exactly! 😁
    Cheers..
    Jase

And if you hold it upright over your head, it’s very dramatic!

I also just sent the leaves a la Ralphy, unless I’m feeling vindictive or in a bad mood, then it’s Weedmageddon.

Quick pass over, give it a week or two for the weed to die, then another pass to incinerate the remains.

As noted, it’s also useful for fire pit duty etc.