closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Views on next big purchase.

Views on next big purchase.

Opinions needed ideally from those who may own both.

Potential next big purchase for this year & I keep swaying between the Monaco Calibre 11 & Omega Speedmaster sapphire 3861.

I know one is vastly superior to the other and has its own special history.

I also know the perceived hate Tag gets on the forum.

History aside I’m neither a big motor sports fan nor space race (the later I do find epic mind you and one of the greatest feets mankind has done).

Pros & cons on both for me.

Head says Speedy. Heart oddly loves the Monaco.

Other half loves one and detest the one in blue which puts the doubt in my head.

Wouldn’t look to get either one at full RRP so not worried about the value etc, wouldn’t be my daily either.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I had this choice 5 years ago, head said Speedy, heart said Monaco. I went Speedy and regretted it for years, until I finally got the 1861 Speedy off the terrible bracelet and onto a strap. I love the new 3861 Speedy and may get one. Although I still love the look of the Monaco, my WIS brain can’t accept the modular movement in the Calibre 11.

Monaco, lovely dial, iconic look, love the crystal. It’s a bit of a brick thickness wise, and the movement isn’t enough for the money IMHO

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I had this choice 5 years ago, head said Speedy, heart said Monaco. I went Speedy and regretted it for years, until I finally got the 1861 Speedy off the terrible bracelet and onto a strap. I love the new 3861 Speedy and may get one. Although I still love the look of the Monaco, my WIS brain can’t accept the modular movement in the Calibre 11.

Monaco, lovely dial, iconic look, love the crystal. It’s a bit of a brick thickness wise, and the movement isn’t enough for the money IMHO

Dave

I’m the same on the Monaco. Movement wise I wish they could incorporate the new 02 movement with the left hand crown. Height possible an issue, but think it’s compact dimensions would be OK.

I really need to go to an AD and spend time with both.

Master
    I think you are right that trying them on is a must. Usually id say go with the heart over head otherwise you'll have the speedy and still want the Tag, I also love the look of the tag however after trying it on it was too big for me.

Calibre 11 Monaco has just been discontinued in McQueen guise

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Calibre 11 Monaco has just been discontinued in McQueen guise
    That’s the 1st I’ve heard of it Ryan? Price rise on the 1st April from what I can see.

Odd choice to discontinue unless moving the in-house calibre inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    I think you are right that trying them on is a must. Usually id say go with the heart over head otherwise you'll have the speedy and still want the Tag, I also love the look of the tag however after trying it on it was too big for me.
    That’s my thoughts. Speedy is great, but also seems to be great as that one watch you wear daily, I have my BB58 for that.

Size I don’t think an issue. I wore my Panerai for many years & U Boat before that (I have history on decisive watches)

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    That’s the 1st I’ve heard of it Ryan? Price rise on the 1st April from what I can see.

Odd choice to discontinue unless moving the in-house calibre inside.

I got sent this 2 days ago from Kingston Tag Boutique

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I got sent this 2 days ago from Kingston Tag Boutique
    Well that does seem concrete, I know the Heuer Calibre 11 edition got discontinued, & replaced with the H02 version

Hmm guess time will tell.

Out of interest what did they offer this you for? (PM if you wanted).

I have both a Monaco and a Speedy pro.

In fact, they are both! the third Ive had (ie, Ive had 2 Monacos before, and Ive had 2 Speedy pros before, so now on my third of each).

The Speedy Pro. gets worn much, much more than the Monaco, Saying that, I love them both. The Speedy looks great on many, many straps/bracelet/NATO etc.

Sure the Monaco is a bit of a "slab"! I love it though, especially in the summer, love the colour of it.

Im a serial flipper of watches, the Speedy gets much more wear than the Monaco, so "probably" a better buy. I just love the Monaco though...even though I don't wear it much!

Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    I have both a Monaco and a Speedy pro.

In fact, they are both! the third Ive had (ie, Ive had 2 Monacos before, and Ive had 2 Speedy pros before, so now on my third of each).

The Speedy Pro. gets worn much, much more than the Monaco, Saying that, I love them both. The Speedy looks great on many, many straps/bracelet/NATO etc.

Sure the Monaco is a bit of a "slab"! I love it though, especially in the summer, love the colour of it.

Im a serial flipper of watches, the Speedy gets much more wear than the Monaco, so "probably" a better buy. I just love the Monaco though...even though I don't wear it much!
    Thanks.

The slab sided isn’t an issue, as the case has brushing & polished bits plus the crown on the left breaks the ‘slab’ up.

My Paneria I found to be visually ‘boring’ when viewed at the side.

I appreciate the Speedy is visually more interesting.

Have the nagging part regarding the Monaco, that my other half really dislikes it, and doesn’t want me to buy it. (I know she’s not wearing it)

Master
    This is an easy answer, you need both !

I think it probably depends what else you’ve got in your collection.

For me, I’d go for the Speedy over the Monaco 10/10 times but given you seem to like it more that’s probably not all that relevant.

What I’d be thinking about it the wearability. The Speedy isn’t quite GADA but it isn’t far off, arguably the definitive strap monster - the Monaco is a totally different beast
    Last edited by RVFIO; 11th April 2022 at 21:29.

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    This is an easy answer, you need both !

Finances wouldn’t allow for that.

Besides my own set rule of how I want my collection to go means one Chrono, the Monaco ticks 2 boxes of colour and feature.

Quote Originally Posted by RVFIO View Post
    I think it probably depends what else you’ve got in your collection.

For me, I’d go for the Speedy over the Monaco 10/10 times but given you seem to like it more that’s probably not all that relevant.

What I’d be thinking about it the wearability. The Speedy isn’t quite GADA but it isn’t far off, arguably the definitive strap monster - the Monaco is a totally different beast
    Currently down to Tudor BB58 as my daily, Seiko Arnie as my vintage quartz (mainly my running watch) & a g shock for cycling and DIY.

So not much to offer as a collector currently.

Toying with a cheaper auto dive esq watch to stop the BB58 getting too beat up. Sub £1k

Then a big purchase from the 2 suggested chronos.

Long term I know my dress watch/ horological (almost) piece but that’s a few years away yet.

Go for second hand and get both!
    The Speedy is far more superior, you get everything in one - history, excellent movement, great design, & still underpriced I'd say.
    The weak spot of the Heuer is the movement, not on its own, but at this price point. Well overpriced if you ask me HOWEVER been there, done that. If you want the Monaco, you just have to have it - the striking design & history makes up for all of it. It makes me mad that you can get far better Tags for third the price, but there's just one McQueen Monaco, and that's there's to it.
    Mind you, there's nothing wrong with the Sellita movement, in fact that's the most accurate modern representation of the original Cal 11 (=piggyback chrono module rotated by 180 to incorporate the LHD crown). It's just the fact knowing that a £100-200 movement is ticking in a £5k+ watch that's putting me off a bit..
    In spite of all I've said, if it's true that the LHD Monaco is getting discontinued, i'd go for that :D Speedy's gonna be around forever, you can have one later. But as others pointed out, it's highly unlikely that we'll have another LHD Monaco anytime soon.

Journeyman
    Opinions needed ideally from those who may own both.

Potential next big purchase for this year & I keep swaying between the Monaco Calibre 11 & Omega Speedmaster sapphire 3861.

I know one is vastly superior to the other and has its own special history.

I also know the perceived hate Tag gets on the forum.

History aside I’m neither a big motor sports fan nor space race (the later I do find epic mind you and one of the greatest feets mankind has done).

Pros & cons on both for me.

Head says Speedy. Heart oddly loves the Monaco.

Other half loves one and detest the one in blue which puts the doubt in my head.

Wouldn’t look to get either one at full RRP so not worried about the value etc, wouldn’t be my daily either.

Thanks

Speedy is a great choice. I really like the new straps coming out that you can buy from 3rd parties. Adds a new dimension to it!

Thanks.

The slab sided isn’t an issue, as the case has brushing & polished bits plus the crown on the left breaks the ‘slab’ up.

My Paneria I found to be visually ‘boring’ when viewed at the side.

I appreciate the Speedy is visually more interesting.

Have the nagging part regarding the Monaco, that my other half really dislikes it, and doesn’t want me to buy it. (I know she’s not wearing it)

If your wife hates the Monaco that's a good reason to buy the new Speedmaster FIRST! That new speedy with the new bracelet is the best iteration in 20+ years.

I like the Monaco in pictures but in the metal it is a huge thing and square watches these days just make me think of Apple watches that everyone seems to wear.

It's real heart v head stuff...go with your heart, I did!

I've a real soft spot for the Monaco, soft enough to buy 5 over the last year. This despite my wife really not liking them and describing them as 'clown watches'

I've had experience of Speedies; nice and they have 'history' but the love faded pretty swiftly and they both got moved on.

I'm fortunate perhaps that my wrists are flat and skinny so the Monaco size isn't an issue. I find them easy and comfortable to wear.
    Certainly for the price new, a Sellita movement doesn't justify the cost to some - such considerations don't bother me. If I like the watch and reliability hasn't been found wanting, it'll do for me.

My only reservation with the Cal11 Monaco's is that some, the flat blue Monaco and the Gulf versions, have those indices placed horizontally - made my eyes bleed (and still do!) Can't get past this oddity and have bailed out in buying those two versions after being very close to commiting to buy. Personal taste of course and true to the original design of the Monaco...

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by unwittingaccomplice View Post
    If your wife hates the Monaco that's a good reason to buy the new Speedmaster FIRST! That new speedy with the new bracelet is the best iteration in 20+ years.

I like the Monaco in pictures but in the metal it is a huge thing and square watches these days just make me think of Apple watches that everyone seems to wear.
    Well last night the missus did say if it's the Speedmaster you want, your next big birthday (did think it was next year but alas it's 2024) we can get it. Yesterday was all for the Speedy, but tonight swaying back to the Monaco.

Quote Originally Posted by jacinabox View Post
    It's real heart v head stuff...go with your heart, I did!

I've a real soft spot for the Monaco, soft enough to buy 5 over the last year. This despite my wife really not liking them and describing them as 'clown watches'

I've had experience of Speedies; nice and they have 'history' but the love faded pretty swiftly and they both got moved on.

I'm fortunate perhaps that my wrists are flat and skinny so the Monaco size isn't an issue. I find them easy and comfortable to wear.
    Certainly for the price new, a Sellita movement doesn't justify the cost to some - such considerations don't bother me. If I like the watch and reliability hasn't been found wanting, it'll do for me.

My only reservation with the Cal11 Monaco's is that some, the flat blue Monaco and the Gulf versions, have those indices placed horizontally - made my eyes bleed (and still do!) Can't get past this oddity and have bailed out in buying those two versions after being very close to commiting to buy. Personal taste of course and true to the original design of the Monaco...

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Thanks, don't think the size will be an issue. As before used to own a 44mm Panerai and a 45mm U Boat which were both daily wearers.

Omega i can see being more everyday wear and fit's with most situations, Monaco a bit more of statement pieces.

Ignoring the movement issue which one wins easily. But I do feel I need to spend some time with both to decide.

Looking at your collection, are you treating them as Pokemon cards?

Managed to find myself at Bluewater earlier with a few hours by myself, so natural I navigated to the watch shops.

Managed to spend some time at Tag (part of Beaverbrooks) whilst also at Omega, M&W to look at some Rolex and also Chisholm Hunters for Nomos.

After being torn between the Monaco & Speedy for a while, with the Monaco being more in the forefront, today it felt a bit flat, fit was great, still think stunning looking, but something not speaking to me today (maybe the fact covered in the protective wrapping so couldn't use and the plain strap). The 200m Aquaracer Professional still sings to me, apart from 'that bracelet' PCL & no micro is a no for me. The 300m Aquaracer is lovely, & I even enjoy the internal cyclops. Only downside is the size, borderline on L2L for me (oh I wish is was 41/40 mm).

Quick stop to CH to look at Nomos

Realised 36mm to small for me and the long lugs create a case to strap gap that is huuuuuuge, 38mm better but still a gap, enough to bug me, shame as I brand I really want to like & own.

Goldsmiths next to enquiry about the Tudor fabric strap for my BB58, also looked at Oris, come away feeling meh, quality just didn't feel there.

Omega next and the Speedy, finally a chance to use one without the protective wrapping, my oh my, came away feeling this is now the front runner. Only downside 50m WR (+25% extra according to RJB on Fratello) enough for bath time with the little one and occasional swimming - I don't know, also doesn't look as cool as the Monaco (but did feel a bit more premium).

Lastly M&W and this was only to see how a 36mm OP felt, not much a fan of the games Rolex play, but more curious on how the wear, must admit 36mm OP much nicer fit than the Nomos Club 36mm (damn that oyster case), black OP nice, sales assistant then mentioned the Explorer 1 also - now I must add one watch I could never see the fuss about, not a fan of the partial numerals (missing 12 bugs me), but I was blown away by it, size, fit, looks, pictures make it appear smaller but on wrist very nice. Now this has become a 3 horse race, with 2 slowly pulling away from 1.

Now my local AD has both the Monaco and Speedy and Aquaracer 200m in for me to spend some time with next week, will make a difference having them all in the same place to view.

Have you considered a Heuer Autavia 1163 Viceroy? You could bag a very nice example for the same money as the Speedy or Monaco but it would be an original example of an absolutely iconic watch and not a replica of itself like the other two.
    "A man of little significance"

Exp1 by a mile and then the Speedy.

Based on the Exp1 and OP36 it might be worth trying on a domed DJ36 for good measure.

I think it’s the Explorer or the Speedy. They are equally excellent, but quite different in feel. I have older versions of both, and am equally happy with them.

Good luck with whatever you decide

D

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

Based on the Exp1 and OP36 it might be worth trying on a domed DJ36 for good measure.
    I concur entirely. The Explorer looks a perfect match and fit for your wrist.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master

Ive had both speedy and Monaco. I love the Monaco and still own it. Its an interesting design and is pretty unique. The speedy has long gone. I also own a Panerai 915, Bronze BB58, Seiko SLA033J1 Willard,MM300, so I like my watches to have wrist presence. The Speedy had no real wrist presence but is a great first step in Luxury watch world. Monaco . Go on be different:)

Master
    What about a monaco on the stainless steel bracelet? And then buy a leather strap too

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    What about a monaco on the stainless steel bracelet? And then buy a leather strap too

Yeah, the Monaco does look good on a bracelet I think although many will disagree. Here is mine on a Watchgecko engineer bracelet. Obviously the stock one would look way better:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The speedy looks really nice one your wrist actually. Have popped into omega and tried one on not long ago and was surprised by how comfortable it is.

Random one have you thought of a Cartier Santos - a little different?

The Nomos on a different strap can minimise the length and gap at the lug, something the Nomos strap just can’t do. It makes a Club very wearable and their “design trademark” more or less disapppear.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Have you considered a Heuer Autavia 1163 Viceroy? You could bag a very nice example for the same money as the Speedy or Monaco but it would be an original example of an absolutely iconic watch and not a replica of itself like the other two.
    Doesn’t appeal to me unfortunately, Monaco really the only chrono from TH & Speedy from the Omega. Oddly not really a chrono fan. But appreciate the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

There is something about the white/ silver dial Roman numeral DJ I like, smooth bezel but the PCL & cyclops ruin it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I think it’s the Explorer or the Speedy. They are equally excellent, but quite different in feel. I have older versions of both, and am equally happy with them.

Good luck with whatever you decide

D

Thank you & tough decisions to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I concur entirely. The Explorer looks a perfect match and fit for your wrist.
    Thank you. Was really surprised. Maybe the AD lights

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Ive had both speedy and Monaco. I love the Monaco and still own it. Its an interesting design and is pretty unique. The speedy has long gone. I also own a Panerai 915, Bronze BB58, Seiko SLA033J1 Willard,MM300, so I like my watches to have wrist presence. The Speedy had no real wrist presence but is a great first step in Luxury watch world. Monaco . Go on be different:)

I know didn’t think I’d like the safe choices.

Monaco still does appeal, the blue dial and face on to me are great. But also like my Panerai before I may get bored with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Yeah, the Monaco does look good on a bracelet I think although many will disagree. Here is mine on a Watchgecko engineer bracelet. Obviously the stock one would look way better:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I do like the new bracelet and this was my thinking, plus the new blue strap from one of the anniversary models as the black OEM I think doesn’t suit it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    The Nomos on a different strap can minimise the length and gap at the lug, something the Nomos strap just can’t do. It makes a Club very wearable and their “design trademark” more or less disapppear.

Yes nato was my thinking, as this removes the gap. But I’d upgrade to the sapphire case back to see the Alpha movement. Nato would go against this.

Now if they done the new bracelet with end links in 36mm that would be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSeb View Post
    The speedy looks really nice one your wrist actually. Have popped into omega and tried one on not long ago and was surprised by how comfortable it is.

Random one have you thought of a Cartier Santos - a little different?

Thanks. Just the price increase and RRP now is massive.

Yes one watch and brand I really like, but the newer ones whilst great weren’t really me, the older smaller 100 I like but again unsure.

I did try the new ADLC Santos which in pictures is amazing. In the flesh felt like a toy.

Blog Entries
    OP: The Explorer1 first or the Omega Speedy. The Explorer seems to look really classic on you. If you are looking for a long term watch I would get the Exp1, I have always ended up selling the Speedies I get. Depends what else you own?

Lucky to see an Exp1 at retail! Martyn
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    OP: The Explorer1 first or the Omega Speedy. The Explorer seems to look really classic on you. If you are looking for a long term watch I would get the Exp1, I have always ended up selling the Speedies I get. Depends what else you own?

Lucky to see an Exp1 at retail! Martyn
    Thanks Martyn, I wasnt expecting to like the Explorer, but did blow me away when I tried it on, also keep coming back to the pictures I took, maybe its the crown and the ADs great lights!

Currently down to a small collection, the original BB58 (daily) vintage Seiko Arnie (running) and G Shock (cycling/ DIY). Panerai sold last year (eventually I realised L2L was too big), but the usual - family, house extension, new car have taking away from a new purchase.

Monaco is great in pictures, dial on wrist, but not keen on the side profiles or the fact a modular movement & that RRP.

Speedy is great, in house manual wind movement, maybe a tad big (40mm is my sweet spot), great for any occasion (much like the BB58 & Explorer) but again a big RRP.

Explorer - if I can get one, who knows what the wait time is and if I'm deemed lucky enough from my local AD. Versatile, and occasion, wears bigger than the size suggest. Although is it a bit boring (simple 3 hander). Least with the chrono's there is an added function.

I do use the bezel on the BB58 for simple timing most days!

Thanks Brad