closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: NI/Ireland Import Tax PSA

NI/Ireland Import Tax PSA

Current understanding is that Northern Ireland holds special status within GB, wherein used goods can be posted to/from the EU without the recipient having to pay VAT. Pretty much a pre Brexit scenario.

Unfortunately, this isn't always the case with NI to the Republic. I recently sold something in Sales Corner and have just had the item returned to me by ROI Customs, despite the best efforts of the recipient, and despite me having clearly marked the item as 'used'.

Royal Mail have told me: "EU legislation now requires electronic customs data to be provided. Royal Mail is working on providing this on behalf of customers."

In other words, the paper customs declaration isn't sufficient for the Republic Of Ireland.

RM says that using Click and Drop could be the solution.
    "you may wish to consider using Click & Drop, which allows you to enter the required electronic data yourself".

Whatever that means. Meanwhile I'm out £15...

I suppose this problem will also arise when shipping items from NI to the rest of the EU.

Don’t think marking as used should make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don’t think marking as used should make any difference.
    Correct, it didn't.
    The reason I marked it as used is because of the novel situation where only used items are exempt from VAT. Customs would still have to open the package and make their own assessment, but at least they would know it's not just the recipient trying to pull a fast one. If that makes sense?

A bit like when overseas sellers mark an item as 'gift' or 'commercial sample'. Except there is no option to tick 'used' on the customs declaration.

My point is that the paper customs declaration issued by Royal Mail is apparently obsolete.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/cons...cism-1.4671803

Crikey, looks like this is an Republic of Ireland thing. I wouldn't be attempting to ship anything there for the foreseeable. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    Correct, it didn't.
    The reason I marked it as used is because of the novel situation where only used items are exempt from VAT. Customs would still have to open the package and make their own assessment, but at least they would know it's not just the recipient trying to pull a fast one. If that makes sense?

A bit like when overseas sellers mark an item as 'gift' or 'commercial sample'. Except there is no option to tick 'used' on the customs declaration.

My point is that the paper customs declaration issued by Royal Mail is apparently obsolete.
    Marking as a gift doesn't exempt an item from fees, there's just a higher threshold before becoming liable AFAIK.

Would it be practical to drive over the border and post in RoI and then it’s an internal item?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    RM says that using Click and Drop could be the solution.
    "you may wish to consider using Click & Drop, which allows you to enter the required electronic data yourself".

Whatever that means.
    On the online Click & Drop page you can enter the commodity number, value, description, etc. for international items. This is printed out for you on a CN22 but, I presume, it is also stored in a database which can perhaps be shared with those destination countries who demand it electronically.

I wouldn't bet on it working for the Republic of Ireland for Irish/EU bureaucracy-generating reasons but that is what they are suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    Would it be practical to drive over the border and post in RoI and then it’s an internal item?
    Too far to make sense for me. Great idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    On the online Click & Drop page you can enter the commodity number, value, description, etc. for international items. This is printed out for you on a CN22 but, I presume, it is also stored in a database which can perhaps be shared with those destination countries who demand it electronically.

I wouldn't bet on it working for the Republic of Ireland for Irish/EU bureaucracy-generating reasons but that is what they are suggesting.
    Gotcha. I'm hoping Royal Mail refund me before giving click n drop a go. They really shouldn't be selling the international service to ROI when they know there's a ton of stuff being sent back. I would have happily used click and drop if I'd known.

Quick update: Royal Mail refusing to reimburse, despite being aware of the issue with posting items using non electronic customs data.

Absolutely stupid. They should have suspended service to ROI until this is resolved. Click and Drop only.