closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Old ? I hope you don't have an emergency !!

Old ? I hope you don't have an emergency !!

At 2.30pm today we got a call from my wifes brother who has learning difficulties but was at his mams flat, my wifes mother who is 96 in three weeks had fell at her home, bleeding from her nose, face cut up by her glasses when she fell, both knees and legs hurting her.

We said we would head over right away but we live 30/40 minutes away so I rang 111 but they were very busy and recommended visiting there website, dident even try her doctors because over the last few weeks I have spent hours trying to get them to answer a phone (covid staff shortages ?) so I rang 999 for an ambulance and after a few questions was told they would send an ambulance within the next 10 hours.

Her flat also has an emergency cord to pull which we did but they couldent really offer any help.

We got her sitting up but could not lift her onto a chair due to her weight and the fact trying to move her caused her pain.

I have left my wife with her and as yet (7 pm) they still havent had a visit.

Bugger I hate being old especially if I was in need of help.

Can’t you get her into a car and take her to A&E?

Sorry to hear this and hope the medics when they turn up can sort her out without the need for a hospital admission. The wife’s mother who was 94 had a fall in February, we waited hours on end for an ambulance. Eventually she was admitted and instead of dealing with her mobility issues they claimed infection after infection and kept pumping her full of antibiotics. Eventually she caught Covid in there and was moved to the Covid ward. Three weeks after going in she passed away.

Fingers crossed you have a better outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    No we can't move her.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Poster had already said couldn't move her...

My Mum had a fall few weeks ago and carers called an ambulance + me. Was told 6 hours but gave up and called them off after 9 hours (3am) and went home. Realistically, couldn't see them waking her up and getting any useful tests done. TBH wouldn't have called an ambulance myself - bruising on face, bit of blood but she's had much worse falls.

Good luck OP!

This situation was bad long long ago sadly.

I hope it improves in the near future.

Ambulance arrived after six hours, mother in laws condition had deteriorated somewhat by then, after tests etc she has now gone to the hospital, I hope I don't need urgent medical attention anytime soon.

Craftsman
    Sorry to hear of your situation OP, I hope your mother in law is doing okay.

My girlfriend had an accident recently, and was adamant she didn't want to call 999, so being the dutiful boyfriend, I called 111. After an extensive questioning, they decided to send an ambulance. That took about 2 hours to come, but they warned us that the wait at A & E was closer to 10! Crazy how bad it has become.

Anyway, as I am currently at the very hospitable in-laws, I hope your mother in law is alright.

Master
    Elderly lady fell in our local town week before last. Ended up spending 9, yes 9, hours lying on the pavement before the ambulance arrived. Police came and went. Fortunately an off duty paramedic stayed with her the whole time.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Update.

The ambulance took the mother in law away about 9 pm ish and she was in the ambulance until 2am waiting outside A&E, they dident have a bed so stayed in A&E until I fetched her out at 2pm, had some tests and declared ok to be sent home, the blood was still on her face, oh well.

Master
    I’m glad it kind of worked out in the end. Hearing this really is frightening though. I remember A&E was always best avoided on a Saturday night but it feels like that all the time now.

The poor lady lying on the concrete for 9 hours, that could be enough to give a young and healthy person hyperthermia.

My mother in law fell at home last week 8.30 in the evening. Father in law phoned ambulanc3 then, after two hours called my wife (we live 10 minutes away),
    . We chased up ambulance and I started quoting their targets at them and suddenly paramedic appeared followed by ambulance.

It's all rateher pathetic. I wrote to local MP about delays and got completely different reasons for delay than those given by ambulance crew.

Today I visited the mother in law, she was feeling a little rough but not too bad for her age but she did ask my wife "whats this for ?" we looked and we saw that the hospital had left the cannula in her arm !!!

I rang her Doctor but he was in a meeting so unable to help, I rang 111 all they could suggest was we take her back to A&E.

So I took her back to A&E, on her paperwork there they described the reason for her return as foreign body in her arm.

So a cannula left in a 95 year old for four days.

Scary.