closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being known for one watch

Journeyman

Being known for one watch

I find it interesting that many famous people are remembered for 'one' watch, so much so that we often refer to that model as theirs. Like the Newman Daytona, JFK's Omega, the McQueen Monaco, the Elvis Ventura, Eastwood's 'Root Beer' GMT, etc.

I'm sure they all owned and wore many other watches, but there is always that one that is synonymous with them.

It got me thinking about my watch collection and what I wear on a daily/weekly basis. I don't feel that any of them are 'mine' or, to put it another way, I don't think anyone I know would say, "Oh, that's 'your' watch."

I have a one year old now, and I'd like for her to grow up and recognise 'my' watch so that one day she might own it and have some attachment to it, or that make/model at least (supposing she actually likes me enough to care!)

With this in mind, I'm planning on selling about 90% of my collection and buying that 'one' watch that's mine and will be my daily wearer for a looooong time.

So, it'd better be a good watch then, hey! I've thought about it for a long time and tried to balance price with emotional attachment vs what I would feel comfortable wearing for most activities.

Eventually, I decided that 'my' watch will be a blue Tudor Submariner from the 80's / 90's.

Effortlessly cool (even if I'm not), subtle but noticeable to other WIS out there and a comfortable wear at 36mm or 40mm. It'd go under a cuff or with a faded T, so suits all occasions, and I don't need to fork out for current Rolex prices (which I can't afford anyway).

I don't even have the watch yet, so I get to enjoy the excitement of the chase for a while as well! One day soon, hopefully.

Sorry for the long post, but it's good to try and articulate and rationalise to yourself why you're doing what you're doing.

Has anyone else come to the same crisis crossroads of variety over a firm favourite timepiece? If you've already taken the path I'm headed down, what's 'your' watch?

Any other 'famous' watches out there that are interesting or surprising?

Now... just need to offload a ton of seikos and Casios Any takers?

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

But what if you have more kids?

I’ve thought about this before, and my kids have their favourites from the ones they see me wear, and they will go to them. But, I still want to own watches my kids have no interest in. I love Ploprof’s, but I can’t say they get much love elsewhere in this house.

Anyway, the Tudor you’ve selected is a lovely watch, and will be a great chase.

That’s an interesting concept. Like how Paul Newman was associated with his love for Daytona’s. Or how Steve McQueen was tied to his 5512. I suppose like Paul you could be associated with a genre or lineage of watches instead of just one. If you acquired a few different variants of the Tudor subs you could be the ‘Tudor sub’ dad and have enough to go around a few children. Just a thought!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it should be a second hand watch. It should be one you buy new, so that when it goes to the next generation it has only ever been YOUR watch.
    At the moment you're looking for an excuse to get the watch you want. That is fine too, of course.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    McQueen also owned a Hanhart 417es

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    And a submariner, of course. Including when you would assume he'd wear the Monaco...

I agree, it should be yours.
    Buy a blue BB 58 (the nearest equivalent of an 80s sub) or the new BB Pro, and wear it for everything.
    Then it is truly your watch.

ps - McQueen only ever wore the Monaco for the film

Journeyman
    I actually bought the BB58 when I found out we were having a baby. I wore it during the birth so that it would be visible in the first photos of me holding my daughter.

However the birth didn't go according to plan. I don't want to go into detail on a public forum, but it ended up being the best & worst day of my life. So much so that I just felt sick when I even looked at the BB58, so I sold it last year.

Mum & daughter are doing OK now, but still very difficult. I think we'll be a 'one and done' family.

If any more kids do come along then they'll find out whoever was my favourite when the Will is read out

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manicmunnday View Post
    I find it interesting that many famous people are remembered for 'one' watch, so much so that we often refer to that model as theirs. Like the Newman Daytona, JFK's Omega, the McQueen Monaco, the Elvis Ventura, Eastwood's 'Root Beer' GMT, etc.

I'm sure they all owned and wore many other watches, but there is always that one that is synonymous with them.

It got me thinking about my watch collection and what I wear on a daily/weekly basis. I don't feel that any of them are 'mine' or, to put it another way, I don't think anyone I know would say, "Oh, that's 'your' watch."

I have a one year old now, and I'd like for her to grow up and recognise 'my' watch so that one day she might own it and have some attachment to it, or that make/model at least (supposing she actually likes me enough to care!)

With this in mind, I'm planning on selling about 90% of my collection and buying that 'one' watch that's mine and will be my daily wearer for a looooong time.

So, it'd better be a good watch then, hey! I've thought about it for a long time and tried to balance price with emotional attachment vs what I would feel comfortable wearing for most activities.

Eventually, I decided that 'my' watch will be a blue Tudor Submariner from the 80's / 90's.

Effortlessly cool (even if I'm not), subtle but noticeable to other WIS out there and a comfortable wear at 36mm or 40mm. It'd go under a cuff or with a faded T, so suits all occasions, and I don't need to fork out for current Rolex prices (which I can't afford anyway).

I don't even have the watch yet, so I get to enjoy the excitement of the chase for a while as well! One day soon, hopefully.

Sorry for the long post, but it's good to try and articulate and rationalise to yourself why you're doing what you're doing.

Has anyone else come to the same crisis crossroads of variety over a firm favourite timepiece? If you've already taken the path I'm headed down, what's 'your' watch?

Any other 'famous' watches out there that are interesting or surprising?

Now... just need to offload a ton of seikos and Casios Any takers?

I think you will find a good blue Tudor sub won’t be that far off the the bottom rung of the Rolex sub ladder

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    ps - McQueen only ever wore the Monaco for the film
    In the film I agree. But during the filming between scenes he wore his own Rolex.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    I guess this kind of proves my point that you can wear and own several, but if you asked anyone what the Steve McQueen watch is, 99% of the time it'd be the Monaco.

JFK didn't just have the Omega Ultra Thin either. I wonder why he never wore that Rolex Marilyn bought him...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I think you will find a good blue Tudor sub won’t be that far off the the bottom rung of the Rolex sub ladder
    Agreed. That's what I've come to realise!

I think I specifically want the blue Tudor Sub because it distinguishes itself a bit more from the black Rolex/Tudor subs out there, which are quite ubiquitous.

It's more niche than a black sub, and appeals to me more for that reason.

If money was no option then my choice would probably be different!

Although I’m too distractible for just one watch, I do have a Dornblüth on order, which will have a small personal engraving on the movement. I think that this watch, built for me, might be the candidate for “my watch”.

Dave

Not trying to put a dampener on it but there is no telling what your child may equate with a memory of you in the future, memory’s are a funny thing.
    A smell, a pair of boots, a jacket are just as likely to be a trigger point than any other object. Just the same a watch or other object may hold no relevance or even prompt a bad memory.
    As such buy and enjoy the watch you want, it’s only an object. Being know for ‘watches’ seems a good compromise.
    You will be happy to know I have finished stating the obvious and I am clearly over thinking this…
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 7th April 2022 at 21:11.

Funny how these watches take on an iconic status years later. When these watches were bought these were the latest models and freely available in the local jewellers. I did read somewhere that Newman’s Daytona that sold for £18m would have cost around $250 when bought new. Same with Connery in Dr No, that was just a bog standard Sub at the time. There are tons of images of McQueen in his 5512. I love the attempted Explorer II connection, but no one has ever managed to find a picture of him wearing one, but it doesn’t stop the dealers attempting to make the link.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Not trying to put a dampener on it but there is no telling what your child may equate with a memory of you in the future, memory’s are a funny thing.
    A smell, a pair of boots, a jacket are just as likely to be a trigger point than any other object. Just the same a watch or other object may hold no relevance or even prompt a bad memory.
    As such buy and enjoy the watch you want, it’s only an object. Being know for ‘watches’ seems a good compromise.
    You will be happy to know I have finished stating the obvious and I am clearly over thinking this…
    I suppose it's that watches last such a long time and they are worn by the person everyday. (Granted less so these days as everyone uses their phones for the time or are just constantly late). Other than a wedding ring I can't think of much else a man would potentially wear everyday for say 30+ years.

I have a few old military watches and that is part of the draw for me; that they were worn through some really interesting times.

Also, as mentioned in a post above, I'm probably trying to justify a watch purchase through sentimentality more than anything.

It's not just for my daughter. I think I'd like to have a slimmer collection and have a watch that really is 'me/mine'.

I wish it could be a Daytona or Coke GMT, but we all need to live within our means

I'll still keep a Casio or two and a watch for smart occasions, but my blue sub will my workhorse.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Although I’m too distractible for just one watch, I do have a Dornblüth on order, which will have a small personal engraving on the movement. I think that this watch, built for me, might be the candidate for “my watch”.

Dave

I've never seen an engraved movement before. You will definitely have a special connection with that one!

I doubt any of us here will be remembered for a specific watch, we're all a bunch of sad cases with the same illness and quite a few watches. Remembered for watches, sure, but not just one.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I doubt any of us here will be remembered for a specific watch, we're all a bunch of sad cases with the same illness and quite a few watches. Remembered for watches, sure, but not just one.
    You can link people on here to brands.

Do you agree Mr Rolex

Craftsman
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384803483...8AAOSwlvFiTwPe

I'd prefer dateless myself but this seems good value

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    You can link people on here to brands.

Do you agree Mr Rolex
    My wife will open the deposit box when I'm dead and realise it wasn't just the same one or two watches and keel over.

I joke that they're my divorce fund. Goes down as well as you'd expect. Hard to make jokes when you've always said half of every joke is true.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 7th April 2022 at 22:51.

I like your plan. While I see no issue with having a few watches knocking around for fun, a small number (possibly one) that you keep long-term and become 'your' watches is in my mind a good thing. Regardless of what your daughter may or may-not associate with the watch in the future, you'll begin accumulating memories with it.

I agree with some of the others who've suggested that if you're going for a single watch to keep and wear long term, I'd look to buy new and have the whole history of that watch be yours. But just personal preference really.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex89 View Post

I'm with you, I like the no date watches. Unfortunately, that creates a problem.

Starting in 2008 I looked for over three years for a no date blue Tudor sub in good shape with no luck. The no date blue watches (7016, 9401 and 94010) are rare - there are not many to start off with so that is an issue. The watches I did find for sale were either beat to hell, were 7016s that had a crumbling and degraded dial or were marketed as MN models (maybe genuine, maybe not) for a triple the price. The two or three good examples I ran across during those years had been snapped up before I had a chance to buy. I finally broke down and bought a nice black 94010 that I've been happy with for the last 10 or 12 years. I would be happier if it were blue though.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by vortex89 View Post

Aw man, I'd love one of the no dates as I think they're so clean looking and sharp. But yeah, they're like hens teeth that I can't afford.

I've seen that eBay listing you linked and it's a nice watch, but the dial is a replacement and looks super obvious to me.

I wouldn't necessarily need box & papers, but I'd like to go for an all original watch. We'll see if I can find one in my price range!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Pick one of your watches,
    Wear it always when a picture of you and daughter is taken,
    Print a few and stick them up in her bedroom.
    Bingo.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Don't know if you've tried a 58 but they are brilliant watches, plus you'd have the reassurance that it has modern manufacturing methods and therefore more able to take a beating. The blue on an uncle seiko jubilee is a great combo and if I didn't have a blue sub 9401 (that I managed to pick up back when they were affordable) then its what I'd be looking at

All very lovely but I think the OP is over thinking it and worrying too much about how he is going to be perceived / remembered.

Enjoy the watches you have, or sell them all and buy a sub. Just enjoy it. Your daughter will remember you for being a great dad or taking her places etc, not because of some old watch you wore. It may be a memento once you’re gone but it doesn’t need to be forced into being one.

I remember my dads briefcase had a very particular smell. I don’t think he spent ages considering the briefcase he wanted to be remembered by.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the comments folks!

Having something that my daughter will recognise as mine is definitely part of what I'm thinking, especially as I have my Grandfather's Rolex Air king that I wear on special occasions. That's probably the germ for this idea, I guess.

The other part is that I have wayyy too many watches (in my opinion which is ~30), and I never really wear a lot of them. I'd like to have a more thoughtful collection that I actually use, like 4-5, with one if them being my workhorse everyday watch (that'll be the blue Tudor Sub ). Going forward, it would have to be a policy of one-in-one-out.

I can't remember which YouTube channel I was watching a few years ago, but they made kind of the same point. Stop buying several mid-range watches every year, save that money which you would have spent and buy a truly special watch which you will have for a long time.

I never thought I'd spend so much on one watch as I will probably spend on the Tudor because I'm not rich. But when I add up what I've spent on my mid range watches over the years, I can afford it! Hence the thought that it would be nice to be remembered for that one watch I really love and enjoy everyday, rather than for the collection in the attic that was barely touched.

Watches are fun for all of us in different ways and variety is nice, but my perspective has definitely changed. I think I'm playing the long game now

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    Pick one of your watches,
    Wear it always when a picture of you and daughter is taken,
    Print a few and stick them up in her bedroom.
    Bingo.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Plan!

Really force the issue

It might be more fun to do that with a Snoopy watch, like the Snoopy in Space timex or something

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    All very lovely but I think the OP is over thinking it and worrying too much about how he is going to be perceived / remembered.

Enjoy the watches you have, or sell them all and buy a sub. Just enjoy it. Your daughter will remember you for being a great dad or taking her places etc, not because of some old watch you wore. It may be a memento once you’re gone but it doesn’t need to be forced into being one.

I remember my dads briefcase had a very particular smell. I don’t think he spent ages considering the briefcase he wanted to be remembered by.
    I find posts like the OP’s a bit over sentimental tbh. People don’t remember you for the cool stuff you owned at important moments of your life - it doesn’t matter a jot what watch you were wearing or car you were driving. Only in the mind of marketeers and advertising men!

The only way to be known for one watch is to only have one watch.

Saw some photos of Chris Kyle’s widow recently. She sometimes wears her husbands Submariner. Safe to assume he was known for that one watch when not on deployment.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I find posts like the OP’s a bit over sentimental tbh. People don’t remember you for the cool stuff you owned at important moments of your life - it doesn’t matter a jot what watch you were wearing or car you were driving. Only in the mind of marketeers and advertising men!

Agreed, I think deciding how someone else will remember you is a bit weird, leave it to them to choose.

Journeyman
    I should have known better than to make a post about this on here. I'm not interested in a back & forth about different opinions, so I'll leave it there.

All the best folks

I understand where you're coming from OP however, as has been said, there's no knowing how others will remember you.

Having said that when my father passed away a number of years back he left a Garrard dress watch (given to him as a long service thank you from his employer) and a St. Christopher. He rarely wore the watch though he was never without the SC, my mum still has 'photos of us on our summer holidays from years back with him wearing it. I chose the SC and younger brother, who may not have the memories I do, was happy with the watch.

I don't wear the St. Christopher myself, I keep it in my watch box!

I should have known better than to make a post about this on here. I'm not interested in a back & forth about different opinions, so I'll leave it there.

But we should care about yours?

Blog Entries
    I’m not famous enough for anyone to check what I wear. TBH my immediate family don’t care a *** what I wear, except my wife - when she spots I’ve bought another one and only gets raised eyebrows.

Perhaps this is the last generation for wrist watches - much like the last generation wore a fob watch and a hat to work (flat cap or bowler hat etc), along with slam door trains and smoking carriages on trains (including the underground/ tube) - that’s showing my age sorry.

Saying that - I have a number of watches and only two I’d like to hand on - the others can be disposed of as any remaining family see fit. I may have to leave them my TZ password so you guys get first dibs!
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 10th April 2022 at 08:21.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

OP asks a reasonable question, it devolves to people insinuating he's weird because their own opinion differs...

OP - I think it's perfectly reasonable to want to associate yourself with a particular watch, not everyone wants/needs/enjoys a box full of watches. While you can't control what people may remember you for, you can certainly increase the odds... it seems common sense to say odds are significantly better that others will find the watch sentimental if you wear it daily than if you wear it on rotation with a dozen others.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    OP asks a reasonable question, it devolves to people insinuating he's weird because their own opinion differs...

OP - I think it's perfectly reasonable to want to associate yourself with a particular watch, not everyone wants/needs/enjoys a box full of watches. While you can't control what people may remember you for, you can certainly increase the odds... it seems common sense to say odds are significantly better that others will find the watch sentimental if you wear it daily than if you wear it on rotation with a dozen others.
    Most of OP’s OP was giving his POV, not asking a question. Seems reasonable that others might post theirs.

Anyway, I’d wear what I wanted to wear, not something else so that I’d be associated with that.

He should do as the Where Am I? thread - any photo he ever takes should have the watch centre stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Most of OP’s OP was giving his POV, not asking a question. Seems reasonable that others might post theirs.

Anyway, I’d wear what I wanted to wear, not something else so that I’d be associated with that.

He should do as the Where Am I? thread - any photo he ever takes should have the watch centre stage.
    Nobody has said otherwise. The OP invited opinions in the multiple questions that were included in the first post.
    But there's a difference between sharing an opinion and labelling someone else for holding a different opinion, which is what the OP declined to go back and forth on.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    In the film I agree. But during the filming between scenes he wore his own Rolex.
    I took that to mean he didn't wear a Monaco any other time, except during the making of the film.

Either could be right, of course...

...I'm probably trying to justify a watch purchase through sentimentality more than anything...I think I'd like to have a slimmer collection and have a watch that really is 'me/mine'.
    I think you kind of answered your own question there. If you find 'the' watch for you, then it wil become the watch that you're known for, whether it's a Casio or a A.Lange & Sohn.

Trying to think of a watch that you will be associated with seems to be thinking it through from the middle to the sides and will probably end up in disappointment.

If there is no one watch that you immediately can think of that you really, really want and think you could live with every day, there probably isn't one...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 10th April 2022 at 17:03.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Nobody has said otherwise. The OP invited opinions in the multiple questions that were included in the first post.
    But there's a difference between sharing an opinion and labelling someone else for holding a different opinion, which is what the OP declined to go back and forth on.
    One person (can't see people) said it's a bit weird, that's all.

Yeah that was me, I still think the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    Yeah that was me, I still think the same thing.
    Me too TBH...

Me too TBH...
    Well that's two now then isn't it.

Seems a bit weird to call people weird for having a different opinion on something that's clearly entirely subjective. Ironic.

Seems a bit weird to call people weird for having a different opinion on something that's clearly entirely subjective. Ironic.
    Yeah weird innit.

Well it was one when you said people were insinuating.

Well it was one when you said people were insinuating.
    I knew what you were thinking though

Just to add a personal perspective, my daughter is 10 years old. She says that her favourite watch is my G-Shock because that's what I wear when we do fun and adventurous things. That makes me smile.

I might prefer to be remembered for one watch than WAAY TOO MANY.

Grand Master
    My "Steve McQueen" 5512.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk