closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 36mm Datejust - size query

Master

36mm Datejust - size query

All,

I'm sure this topic has been done to death over the years so apologies in advance.

I've had hankering to try a DJ for a while now and had the opportunity to buy a 41mm Wimbledon dial last year which I declined.
    I have a slight preference for the older less blingy references and found a nice 36mm DJ which I'm considering.

Does anybody wear a 36mm DJ on a 7- 7.25 inch wrist and if so do you have photos please as i'm in two minds as I have a flat 7.25 inch wrist and undecided whether it will look too small.

Again apologies for resurrecting a common topic.

That's on a 6.5" wrist, if that helps?

Master
    I do not have a 36mm DJ but have seen loads on other people. They look fine and let's be honest, the only people who worry about a 5mm difference in size are WISs and they are about 0.000001% of the population.

The only other thing I would add is stay well away from two tone, it just never looks good.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I used to wear mine my wrist is 7.5 inch and it looked great.

A DateJust 16200 and 116200 for comparison on my 7.25 wrist. I think it’s the perfect size for that style of watch.

Master
    I think 36mm is the perfect size for a non sports watch and suits most wrist sizes.

Grand Master
    The pre- 2006 36mm Oyster cases had quite slim tapered lugs which almost blend into the bracelet, almost giving the watch an integral bracelet appearance on the wrist. This avoids the head looking small on a larger wrist because the head and bracelet ‘flow’ together. Latest versions have reverted to similar dimensions and to me look a whole lot nicer than the 2006-2019 6 digit versions with squarer fatter lugs. However, the larger lugs makes these wear a bit bigger but always look a bit clumsy, I owned one for a while and I still own a pre-2006 model so I speak from experience.

Others will disagree but I think 36mm is by far the best for the Datejust, Explorer 1 and Oyster Perpetual. Trying to scale it up to match modern trends has never worked.

Best advice to the OP is to try one on. My preference would be the latest version........if you could get one! Why not forsake the date and go for the latest OP 36, which benefits from the brushed lug tops, a better look in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The pre- 2006 36mm Oyster cases had quite slim tapered lugs which almost blend into the bracelet, almost giving the watch an integral bracelet appearance on the wrist. This avoids the head looking small on a larger wrist because the head and bracelet ‘flow’ together. Latest versions have reverted to similar dimensions and to me look a whole lot nicer than the 2006-2019 6 digit versions with squarer fatter lugs. However, the larger lugs makes these wear a bit bigger but always look a bit clumsy, I owned one for a while and I still own a pre-2006 model so I speak from experience.

Others will disagree but I think 36mm is by far the best for the Datejust, Explorer 1 and Oyster Perpetual. Trying to scale it up to match modern trends has never worked.

Best advice to the OP is to try one on. My preference would be the latest version........if you could get one! Why not forsake the date and go for the latest OP 36, which benefits from the brushed lug tops, a better look in my opinion.
    Agree. The datejust is a classic but unless you’re fixed on the idea of a date, or a fluted bezel; the OP is a better looking watch. In my opinion.

I do and it looks great. I'll dig out a picture
    Last edited by Scrubnut; 6th April 2022 at 14:19.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wish I never sold my blue faced OP

Master
    Never sell a Rolex as most people eventually regret it. You either had a lovely watch on your wrist or an appreciating asset in the safe, either way you were winning.

Craftsman
    I have a 7.25 wrist and tried on a 36mm last year and I felt it was too small for me. I’m glad I had the opportunity to pick up the 41mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks for your response everybody.

I'm going to try one on at the weekend to see for myself if I'm happy with the size, it's a 1999 steel DJ with engine turned bezel and jubilee.

Re the Oyster Perpetual, that was my original preference as I was previously on the look out for a 39mm OP.
    A friend of mine leant me one for a week or so and that was just about the perfect size for me.

However, they appear to be rare as hen's teeth now and prices have gotten a little silly IMO - hence back to looking at a DJ

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Thanks for your response everybody.

I'm going to try one on at the weekend to see for myself if I'm happy with the size, it's a 1999 steel DJ with engine turned bezel and jubilee.
    If it’s the one at Miltons it looks like a lovely example plus you can’t go wrong buying from them.

I have 18cm wrists and I tried a 41mm DJ on expecting it to be perfect but it was simply too big for that style of watch. I also tried an OP41 recently and that was actually a better size. I agree that the current 12xxxx DJs wear quite a bit smaller than the previous 11xxxx model. I wish I'd bought a 116234 on jubilee when I had a chance. Might be worth seeking out a previous 6 digit model if you are concerned about size.

Master
    This thread is doing nothing to help my want for a DJ!

Craftsman
    Admittedly, this is a 36mm OQ 17000 (and therefore different bracelet) -- but (if it helps) it doesn't feel small on my (well over 7" wrist).

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    My wrist is seven and a half

upload photos

Craftsman
    I tried my friends 36 mm datejust on my 8 1/4 inch wrist and it looked like a child's watch but it looks good on my friend7 inch wrist

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

6.75 inch wrist. Most comfortable watch I own. 116234 with integrated clasp.

36mm on my puny 6 inch wrist!

7.5 inch wrist.

I gotta be honest and admit that it's too small for me. The picture is a bit flattering.

Nice classic though.

36mm 126200 on my 7.25 flat wrist.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jlynch1984 View Post

6.75 inch wrist. Most comfortable watch I own. 116234 with integrated clasp.

That's exactly the one I should have bought. Very nice!

Master

Excuse the poor photo, but here is a picture of a 36mm DJ with engine turned bezel on jubilee. I have no idea what size wrists I have, but I’m 6’ft 4”, 17 stone and in my humble opinion this is the best wearing watch I own. It’s a personal choice but I much prefer the older style thinner brushed lugs and the overall proportions of the older Datejust. There really is a Datejust out there for everyone. I would recommend a trip to Watchfinder or the like to try on a few different versions (old and new) and find what you like.

I think most people subscribe to the view that 36mm is absolutely fine if it has Rolex written on the dial, but for anything else, 36mm is too small.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    I think most people subscribe to the view that 36mm is absolutely fine if it has Rolex written on the dial, but for anything else, 36mm is too small.
    Don't forget a 36mm Smiths goes down a treat ;)

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Master
    All, a quick update.

I drove up to Miltons this morning to take a look at the aforementioned DJ.
    I needn't have worried. Overall I think the proportions are perfect and it didn't take me long to decide to buy the watch.
    I'm not the slightest concerned that it's too small for my wrist and it adds some much needed variation to my existing bunch of watches.
    I'm delighted with my new addition and will get some photos loaded asap.

Thanks again for your help.

Master
    Congrats. Look forward to your pics.

Journeyman
    Excellent news! Looking forward to the photos.
    I tried on a 36mm datejust today, and a 40mm yachtmaster. The 36mm datejust screams quality and just ‘works’.
    Put my name down for one on a jubilee strap, fluted bezel and green dial.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Most people wouldn't bat an eyelid about wearing a 36mm watch. WISs on here are nerdy and represent about 0.000000000001% of the worlds population.

Master
    Wrist shots like this tend to make a watch look bigger. Take a shot in the mirror with the watch on the wrist as it would appear to a close onlooker for a comparison.

I found the DJ36 looked tiny on my flat 7 inch wrist.

Grand Master
    I have a Fluted Bi Metal DJ and whilst it is smaller I do adjust to it once on the wrist, infact when I revert back it takes a day or so to adjust to a big Un. So if you can get it for the right dough then go for it just be aware it will be harder to sell
    RIAC

36mm day date vs 41mm. I was torn between the two sizes , so tried on my friends . I went with the 36mm above. My wrist is 7”

Last edited by eagletower; 10th April 2022 at 10:43.

Master
    A close up and a couple from further away

Journeyman
    A DJ36 on a flat 7.2in wrist will look alright in these wrist shots taken up close, as they tend to make watches look huge. Problem is in real life, at an arm's length distance, it will look small. IMHO you'd need smaller wrists to pull off a DJ36. I'd recommend a DJ41. Well, that what I'll be getting anyway, I have the same wrist size as yours.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Wrist shots like this tend to make a watch look bigger. Take a shot in the mirror with the watch on the wrist as it would appear to a close onlooker for a comparison.

I found the DJ36 looked tiny on my flat 7 inch wrist.
    What’s the saying? - The beauty is all in the eye of the beholder, or something like that.

I think my personal tastes have changed as I learn more about watches, or maybe I’m just getting older.

Probably the favourite watch I own and one of the last that would go is a 43mm diver, but I find myself wearing it less and less now.

With COVID and working at home, my interest in watches hasn’t at all diminished, but found myself preferring to wear smaller and lighter pieces.
    Last edited by klunk; 10th April 2022 at 11:49.

Something else to add is that a shiny watch tends to look bigger and a fluted bezel looks bigger than a smooth one. To my eyes anyway.

Master
    Be aware that the new 126234 wears MUCH MUCH better than the old iterations, which I found always felt far too small.

Here’s mine on my wrist, which is just under 7”. I think it’s perfect. By comparison the 41mm looks I’ll proportioned and oversized.

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    Be aware that the new 126234 wears MUCH MUCH better than the old iterations, which I found always felt far too small.
    I really don't get that at all. The 116234 has the maxi case with much broader lugs so it wears much bigger than the latest models imo.

Craftsman
    For me it is not the size. I'm completely unable to connect with the polished lugs case. The old datejust already has a good case size.

Journeyman
    I subscribe to the personal opinion that the datejust is primarily a dressier watch and as such suits better in a more elegant and complimentary size to the wrist.
    Most people that I see wearing a 41 mode I feel looks a little too big for that particular type of watch. Fine for a sport mode, but a dress watch where the watch starts to look boxy as the case is too wide across the wrist loses some of its elegance to me.

But as is always the case it’s down to what you feel most comfortable wearing and what gives you the most confidence.

The resale point is an interesting one. I’m on the waitlist for a 36mm as I tried one on and it felt right. I do worry that if in the future I decide that I want to change, or I inevitably get fatter and need to move up to the 41mm that it’ll be harder to sell or I’ll have to put up even more money to swap out to a 41mm.
    Food for thought for sure.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy9 View Post
    I subscribe to the personal opinion that the datejust is primarily a dressier watch and as such suits better in a more elegant and complimentary size to the wrist.
    Most people that I see wearing a 41 mode I feel looks a little too big for that particular type of watch. Fine for a sport mode, but a dress watch where the watch starts to look boxy as the case is too wide across the wrist loses some of its elegance to me.

But as is always the case it’s down to what you feel most comfortable wearing and what gives you the most confidence.

The resale point is an interesting one. I’m on the waitlist for a 36mm as I tried one on and it felt right. I do worry that if in the future I decide that I want to change, or I inevitably get fatter and need to move up to the 41mm that it’ll be harder to sell or I’ll have to put up even more money to swap out to a 41mm.
    Food for thought for sure.
    Agree with all the above. Smaller wrist + 41 is quite a statement piece i think....

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post

36mm day date vs 41mm. I was torn between the two sizes , so tried on my friends . I went with the 36mm above. My wrist is 7”
    And in my opinion made the correct decision

A lovely configuration