closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Reading glasses prescription assistance, please!

  1. #1

    Reading glasses prescription assistance, please!

    Hi all,

    I'm short sighted and always had an optician arrange the required specification when buying prescription frames/lens.

    However, my Mother now requires reading glasses (i.e. long sighted) , and I wanted to buy a pair for her online, only....

    I quickly became confused for what to enter in the diopter field when ordering, despite having her Boots prescription to hand which I paste below




    For a pair of reading glasses only (not worn all the time, just for newspaper, phone, chopping veg, sewing, etc.) when needed to submit a diopter number, am I supposed to enter:

    Sphere only?
    or Reading Addition only?
    Or both by adding them together?

    I have tried to call Boots, who issued the above prescription, however...
    8 phone calls over 2 working days and we've no luck in anyone picking up!

    Thanks in advance - I'm sure many here are comfortable with ordering online already.

  2. #2
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    15,324
    Blog Entries
    1
    I looked at a couple of sites (https://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/bask.../prescription/ , https://www.selectspecs.com/prescription/prescriptions/ ) and they both had separate fields for:

    SPH
    (Sphere)
    CYL
    (Cylinder)
    AXIS
    (Axis)
    ADD
    (Addition)


    Does the website you're using have something different?

  3. #3
    The online companies are usually pretty helpful and can often send them copy of prescription - isn't that an option?

    (Not 100% but unless separate boxes as above think you add sphere and addition.)

  4. #4
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    17,074
    Try this link. There are a couple of examples at the bottom of the page that may be helpful.
    Last edited by PickleB; 6th April 2022 at 03:55.

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    500
    No optician but have you tried a pair of 2.5 readers from Boots or similar? Work fine for reading only and costs around 10.

  6. #6
    Grand Master mart broad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    11,807
    Blog Entries
    5

    Red face

    I buy my glasses online ( variofocals + reactolite) and just upload the script.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

  7. #7
    Thanks all, for the help!

    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    No optician but have you tried a pair of 2.5 readers from Boots or similar? Work fine for reading only and costs around 10.
    No sure this is the best approach (?!) as everyones eyes and needs are different...

    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    I buy my glasses online ( variofocals + reactolite) and just upload the script.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    The online companies are usually pretty helpful and can often send them copy of prescription - isn't that an option?
    Sadly not, see below.

    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Does the website you're using have something different?
    Yes, perhaps this is what's confusing me:

    I decided to take a chance (punt?) on these https://www.nooz-optics.com/gb/en-gb/ as they are screwless/practical/light/slimline, etc.

    When ordering, this is what one is faced with, see green box:







    It's the same option regardless of frame style:



  8. #8
    I'd order elsewhere TBH.

    You realise that they're coming from France and there could be customs charges?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I'd order elsewhere TBH.

    You realise that they're coming from France and there could be customs charges?
    I know where you're coming from, hence my prior comment re: taking a chance.

    The customs charge doesn't bother me toooo much as they're also available on Amazon and available for 1 day delivery which presumably indicates UK stock, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nooz-Armles.../dp/B079CK4SXK

    Regardless, it's the diopter that still puzzles me.

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Maidenhead-ish UK
    Posts
    1,394
    For the simple readers you are looking at you need to add the sphere & reading addition numbers:

    R: +1.50+2.5 = +4.0
    L: +1.25+2.5 = +3.75

    That's a hefty prescription for off the shelf readers which usually top out at around +3.00. On the better sites that actually take the full prescription & make the lenses you can enter all the prescription information - which is what posters above are referring to.

    I wouldn't pay 60 for a pair of glasses from a site that didn't ask for a full prescription.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    For the simple readers you are looking at you need to add the sphere & reading addition numbers:

    R: +1.50+2.5 = +4.0
    L: +1.25+2.5 = +3.75
    Thank you for your help! This is the confirmation I was seeking.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    On the better sites that actually take the full prescription & make the lenses you can enter all the prescription information - which is what posters above are referring to.

    I wouldn't pay 60 for a pair of glasses from a site that didn't ask for a full prescription.
    I understand the concern, and I share the same. I would fully expect to 'copy and paste' the Boots prescription, and agree the site above seems a little basic in that regard, which lessens the perception of quality and thoroughness.

  12. #12
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    15,324
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    I wouldn't pay 60 for a pair of glasses from a site that didn't ask for a full prescription.

    That site just has reading glasses - it doesn't do prescription lenses.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    That site just has reading glasses - it doesn't do prescription lenses.
    Indeed, which is perfect for what I am shopping for on this occasion (I tried to make it clear in the opening post but accept perhaps it wasn't clear enough?), hence it was just the 'translation' required from the Boots prescription I was seeking.

  14. #14
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    17,074
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    That site just has reading glasses - it doesn't do prescription lenses.
    Can you clarify what you are after, please? Do you want prescription glasses just for reading? Those would allow you to have different strengths for each eye and would compensate for the astigmatism (cylinder) in the prescription. Or do you want a simple pair of reading glasses? If that's the case then they are available from Boots, libraries and other reputable suppliers...and cost a lot less than 60.

    Looking at Boots, they go up to +3.50...so nearly what you'll be looking for.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Can you clarify what you are after, please? Do you want prescription glasses just for reading?
    Sure,

    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    However, my Mother now requires reading glasses (i.e. long sighted)
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    For a pair of reading glasses only (not worn all the time, just for newspaper, phone, chopping veg, sewing, etc.) when needed to submit a diopter number, am I supposed to enter:
    Sphere only?
    or Reading Addition only?
    Or both by adding them together?
    Please let me know if further clarification would be helpful? If so, what?

    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Or do you want a simple pair of reading glasses? If that's the case then they are available from Boots, libraries and other reputable suppliers...and cost a lot less than 60.
    A 'simple pair of reading glasses' is what is sought.
    Can we put price aside for the moment, please. I do realise reading glasses can be had much cheaper. My question was more around what to enter in the diopter field, based on the Boots print out, and less around how much reading glasses could cost (though fully appreciate you mention cheaper alternatives to help save money). As reading glasses are available in Boots stores however I can't get to one and my Mother isn't to know about this otherwise she'll flat out refuse she needs a pair. Hence the online approach.

    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Looking at Boots, they go up to +3.50...so nearly what you'll be looking for.
    Her old reading glasses were supplied by Boots so are you indicating, based on the print out, they wouldn't supply be able to supply what she needs anyway?\


    As an aside, I tried Boots Opticians (same one that issued the print out) on the telephone again today (3rd day running), complete waste of time. They were guessing. I asked if I or she could speak to the in-house optician for clarity but no luck. Finally, when I asked the lady's name.... she hung up!
    Last edited by cman; 6th April 2022 at 14:44.

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Hi all,

    I'm short sighted and always had an optician arrange the required specification when buying prescription frames/lens.

    However, my Mother now requires reading glasses (i.e. long sighted) , and I wanted to buy a pair for her online, only....

    I quickly became confused for what to enter in the diopter field when ordering, despite having her Boots prescription to hand which I paste below




    For a pair of reading glasses only (not worn all the time, just for newspaper, phone, chopping veg, sewing, etc.) when needed to submit a diopter number, am I supposed to enter:

    Sphere only?
    or Reading Addition only?
    Or both by adding them together?

    I have tried to call Boots, who issued the above prescription, however...
    8 phone calls over 2 working days and we've no luck in anyone picking up!

    Thanks in advance - I'm sure many here are comfortable with ordering online already.

    Looking at this prescription and assumed age of the patient (approx 60?), I would definitely consider buying the full prescription, even if online. The cylinder is significant enough in both eyes, for it to merit correction.

    Judging from the prices you are paying for these simple readers, which are not catering for the cylinder (astigmatism); I am fairly sure you can obtain the full correction including sphere and cylinder, within the same price point online. The vision will be far superior to that of one where the cylinder is ignored. The irony is this would be most noticeable for tasks such as reading where the circular letters would lose their crispness without the astigmatism/cylinder correction.

    So if you were ordering to a full prescription to incorporate the cylinder your entry would be:

    RIGHT:
    Sphere +4.00
    Cylinder -0.75
    Axis 45

    LEFT:
    Sphere +3.75
    Cylinder -0.75
    Axis 150


    That would be my recommendation.

    But in answer to your question as to what dioptre value goes in to the simple readers, for the prescription that you have sent, I would go for a +3.00 in the right and left eye. This value I'm suggesting, is making a modification to attempt to account for for the cylinder which we are not correcting, and also extend the working distance a touch, giving a slightly longer focal point.

    I hope that makes sense!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    That would be my recommendation.
    Thank you tango for taking the time to respond comprehensively. Going to assume you work in the field given the accuracy of your guess, you were close, as she is mid-60s.

    I do agree, going prescription would serve better for all the reasons you listed. I was just looking at a pair like this she would keep in her handbag because she often forgets/neglects to take glasses with her, due to the bulk of the case, and something like this product comes with a slim line form factor and apparently screw-less unbreakable frame, so can withstand bumps in the bag. And if they break, no problem, they were not expensive (unlike her previous Stepper pair, which we had the bells & whistles on the lens with coatings, etc.).

    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    But in answer to your question as to what dioptre value goes in to the simple readers, for the prescription that you have sent, I would go for a +3.00 in the right and left eye. This value I'm suggesting, is making a modification to attempt to account for for the cylinder which we are not correcting, and also extend the working distance a touch, giving a slightly longer focal point.

    I hope that makes sense!
    Thank you, it does make sense, you are seemingly taking into account the cylinder value by proposing +3.00. What would it be if you were not taking cylinder into account? I only ask because Mr Pointy's reply in Post#10 above is somewhat different and in contrast to your suggestion, and hence further confusing. I'm seeking consistency, and where there are differences, just wanting to understand why...

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Thank you, it does make sense, you are seemingly taking into account the cylinder value by proposing +3.00. What would it be if you were not taking cylinder into account? I only ask because Mr Pointy's reply in Post#10 above is somewhat different and in contrast to your suggestion, and hence further confusing. I'm seeking consistency, and where there are differences, just wanting to understand why...
    His calculation is correct, in the case of ignoring the cylinder completely. But I am confident that most optometrists would agree with the +3.00 when given all the details (full prescription/intended purpose/age of patient etc)
    And a slight under correction is much much more forgiving than a slight over correction, hence +3.00 is your closest match.

    Any other questions feel free to shout

  19. #19
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    sussex uk
    Posts
    15,484
    Blog Entries
    1
    Your mum's probably bought her own pair by now!!

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,993
    I mention this as a word of warning in case your mother's prescription might result in something similar.
    I recently bought online for the first time and due to having one eye with poorer vision one lens was significantly thicker than the other. Apparently I overlooked selecting hi index lenses but there was no indicator/help during the purchase process that identified this scenario and it's never a topic that's ever been discussed when buying at my high street opticians. I actually thought the difference was so significant that no reasonable person would think it was ok! Needless to say, lesson learnt and back to my opticians for the foreseeable future.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    His calculation is correct, in the case of ignoring the cylinder completely. But I am confident that most optometrists would agree with the +3.00 when given all the details (full prescription/intended purpose/age of patient etc)
    And a slight under correction is much much more forgiving than a slight over correction, hence +3.00 is your closest match.

    Any other questions feel free to shout
    Thanks for the clarification and taking the time to break it down for a layman, much appreciated.

    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Your mum's probably bought her own pair by now!!
    ...ha! I kind of wish I didn't ask / contemplate buying a pair. But it will be one of a few small birthday gifts, so, hopefully appreciated.
    Regardless, sorry for the mess of the thread and thanks to the community for wanting to help.

    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I mention this as a word of warning in case your mother's prescription might result in something similar.
    I recently bought online for the first time and due to having one eye with poorer vision one lens was significantly thicker than the other. Apparently I overlooked selecting hi index lenses but there was no indicator/help during the purchase process that identified this scenario and it's never a topic that's ever been discussed when buying at my high street opticians. I actually thought the difference was so significant that no reasonable person would think it was ok! Needless to say, lesson learnt and back to my opticians for the foreseeable future.
    Appreciate the heads up! I have actually been caught out by this myself (albeit with my first pair decades ago) especially because of the thickness on the outer edge of short-sight lens (minus strength) and the fact I tend to wear rimless. Needless to say I've always gone for 1.74 since.


  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Posts
    1,517
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Thanks for the clarification and taking the time to break it down for a layman, much appreciated.


    ...ha! I kind of wish I didn't ask / contemplate buying a pair. But it will be one of a few small birthday gifts, so, hopefully appreciated.
    Regardless, sorry for the mess of the thread and thanks to the community for wanting to help.


    Appreciate the heads up! I have actually been caught out by this myself (albeit with my first pair decades ago) especially because of the thickness on the outer edge of short-sight lens (minus strength) and the fact I tend to wear rimless. Needless to say I've always gone for 1.74 since.

    I always seem to go back to Rx sport for my prescription glasses. They are insanely helpful, they sent me 3 frames to try recently for my latest purchase. I also have a large head so my ipd is quite large they phoned to check this was correct.

    Id certainly not avoid them due to a lesson learned already.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information