closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Flickering LED Bulbs

Flickering LED Bulbs

I'm sure I could Google this however I'll open this up to the floor.

I've 3 hanging pendant lights in my kitchen, controlled collectively via a single dimmer switch. I've fitted dimable LED bulbs (E27 type) however they pretty much constantly simultaneously flicker unless they're turned either very high or very low.

I'm presuming it's a AC frequency thing though I don't have an issue with the LED spots in the ceiling. They're Diall branded bulbs in the pendants, FWIW.

Master
    I asked about dimmers and LED bulbs a while back. My dimmers are old so I didn’t even try with LED bulbs. I suppose the first question is whether, unlike mine, the dimmer is designed to be compatible??

EDIT: https://www.lampandlight.co.uk/dimming-led-lights
    Last edited by David_D; 3rd April 2022 at 23:59.

Apparently they are called lamps, not bulbs.

You can thank me later.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I asked about dimmers and LED bulbs a while back. My dimmers are old so I didn’t even try with LED bulbs. I suppose the first question is whether, unlike mine, the dimmer is designed to be compatible??

EDIT: https://www.lampandlight.co.uk/dimming-led-lights
    The kitchen, and all of the lighting including the switches and associated wiring, was all installed late summer last year and although I've only just put LEDs in the pendants I'm pretty sure I mentioned that LEDs would be used. I'd hope, therefore, that the switches would be compatible and I'd just be able to screw in the new bulbs and be done!

Just very quickly skim read the link, I'll check however I'm pretty sure the lamps themselves were described as dimable. I'll have a proper read later.

I'm sure somebody will be along shortly with a full explanation of leading-edge dimmers versus trailing-edge dimmers, but when I looked (a little) into this at one time, the answer seemed to be that not every LED dimmer is compatible with every LED lamp.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post

You can thank me later.
    I planted some bulbs last year all the tops have gone rusty.

Master
    I had flickering down lights when I changed them to leds but changed the dimmer to a specific led dimmer from screwfix and that solved it

Check you have a trailing edge dimmer, if its a leading edge one it will misbehave at the lower end of its range. The B&Q lamps are the lower end of the market.

I have some 12V downlighters, and had trouble finding LEDs that didn't flicker.

Master
    Im sure Lenlec on here is very knowledgeable on all things lectric, why not drop him a pm

Steve

Master
    Blog Entries
    You need the appropriate dimmer module in the switch. Don’t know the technical details.

I may be wrong but the drivers have a minimum wattage I believe, below which the lights flicker. Try higher wattage bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have the same issue and despite being told they would work, the dimmer switch is the issue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    You need the appropriate dimmer module in the switch. Don’t know the technical details.
    Correct, I made the mistake of mis-matching the modules and lamps and they flickered like crazy

Find the data sheet for the lamps, and there should be a list of compatible modules

If you're anyway handy, swapping the modules in the switches is straightforward (isolate the switch first obviously)

Master
    I got a box of LED lights for the bathroom. They flash once when switched on and then go out. I had to learn to shave really quickly.
    Last edited by alas58; 4th April 2022 at 10:29.

I appreciate the responses chaps, I'll do a bit more digging based on info within them.

Craftsman
    I had the same problem with LED bulbs flickering and buzzing when connected to a dimmer switch. I bought these bulbs on Amazon on whim and they work exactly the same as halogen bulbs, but only 4W. They can be dimmed right down until they are almost off, they are brilliant.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post

You can thank me later.
    Saw these in Lidl today and was reminded of this post.