closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Anyone tightening up their finances?

Craftsman
    I was with BT broadband for years and it got daft the money I was paying.
    I switched to Now TV (basically sky) with anytime calls for £24 pm
    Never had one issue (had loads with BT)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    BT broadband is something I need to look at, and possibly Netflix too.

Not worried about the router - as I only use the BT wifi in the garage. I think I even have a spare straight router ready.
    Sent from my M2012K11AG using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    Here's the gamble, fixing my mortgage for 3 Years will likely cost me an extra £190 per month. A 6% interest rate hike would cost around £500 per month for the length of the hike. Do I feel lucky?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    I don't think it's much of a risk. I doubt interest rates will increase by more than 2% over the troubles period

Journeyman
    It feels like things could get very grim come Autumn/Winter 22 and we are at just the start of the journey. This thread is very thought provoking and makes me think we need a full review of our household budget - clearly some subscriptions can be trimmed or switched.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Lidl has been doing 1.2kg bags of coffee beans for £6.99. Seems alright to me. £3-£5 for 1/5 of that in Waitrose?
    My missus knows some people who work nights at Waitrose, big part of their job is sorting and bagging up the deliveries for the next day, think they have a target of around 600 items per shift per person, one of the girls told her that its now dropped to around 150 items between the whole nightshift!!

Time to buy shares in Aldi/Lidl..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Time to buy shares in Aldi/Lidl..
    If only. Both privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    DOH!! Those private owners will be doing very well going forward..

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Yep German.

That said since I fully retired my Mrs has taken to dragging me to the shops and TBH a lot of the own name products from our local Aldi are pretty inferior compared to Sainsburys.

Their mustard is weak, soup - watery and their version of cinnamon grahams - inedible.

You can see where they make their savings on staff as the checkout queues are usually awful too. I dread going in there TBH but their fresh fruit and veg is fine and some of the other stuff is decent too but it does seem like hard work in there compared to Sainsburys, Waitrose or Tesco.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

So Rishi is going to pump more money into all households to help with cost of living increases. That'll help solve inflation.....

Master
    The Aldi staff in my.local one are so much better and quicker than the likes of Sainsbury's, Tesco etc. Haven't had to tighten up any finance's yet but just trying to be a bit more careful with energy consumption and car use.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    So Rishi is going to pump more money into all households to help with cost of living increases. That'll help solve inflation.....
    Yup it's likely to stoke further inflation, Richy has form for that, recall the great stamp duty wheeze...he's a real whizz.

https://twitter.com/MarketWatch/stat...70786841075712

Economic Report
    U.S. inflation rate slows to 6.3%, PCE shows, in sign price pressures could be near peak
    Published: May 27, 2022 at 8:40 a.m. ET

Interestingly Gas is very cheap currently and we are awash with the stuff but because some chump in government thought last year that we could save money by doing away with Gas storage facilities we are forced to sell it to Europe at cheap rates instead of storing it. Of course come autumn when people stick the heating back on demand for gas will increase and we'll then need to buy some at more expensive rates. #winning

Master
    Going through the process of fixing my mortgage for 5 years. Not getting the cost per month reduction I was hoping for a year ago but what can you do.

Gas and electric is next on the list. Our 1 year deal ends in October so hoping to get a new deal before the price cap increases again.

Glad I fixed my 2nd mortgage for 5 yrs at 1% just before the recent hikes. Still worth doing now if you haven't already. Not all rosy though, my fixed dual fuel ended a few months ago, ouch...

Interestingly Gas is very cheap currently and we are awash with the stuff but because some chump in government thought last year that we could save money by doing away with Gas storage facilities we are forced to sell it to Europe at cheap rates instead of storing it. Of course come autumn when people stick the heating back on demand for gas will increase and we'll then need to buy some at more expensive rates. #winning
    That's almost entirely inaccurate.

The company who owned rough made the decision that the cost of maintaing the site was more than its intrinsic worth.

There was no government incentive either for it atwick or aldbourgh. The volatility which had been present in the NTS making these sites profitable had been gradually eroded by interconnectors to the continent and Ireland, re-gassification of LNG and to a lesser extent the contracting of entry and exit capacity to NTS and eu ets scheme.

This was a failure of successive governments for decades to appreciate the importance of energy security and despite significant lobbying the position hasn't changed.

The whole industry is a mess.

Sent from my Lenovo K12 Note using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Glad I fixed my 2nd mortgage for 5 yrs at 1% just before the recent hikes. Still worth doing now if you haven't already. Not all rosy though, my fixed dual fuel ended a few months ago, ouch...
    Yup, my duel fuel tariff looks likely to rise by 1k ish over a year when I have to re fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by farquare View Post
    That's almost entirely inaccurate.

The company who owned rough made the decision that the cost of maintaing the site was more than its intrinsic worth.

There was no government incentive either for it atwick or aldbourgh. The volatility which had been present in the NTS making these sites profitable had been gradually eroded by interconnectors to the continent and Ireland, re-gassification of LNG and to a lesser extent the contracting of entry and exit capacity to NTS and eu ets scheme.

This was a failure of successive governments for decades to appreciate the importance of energy security and despite significant lobbying the position hasn't changed.

The whole industry is a mess.

Good to hear an accurate explanation with reasons..

Does anyone know why every wealthy household in the UK is being given £400 of tax payers money to help them pay energy bills.

Why not give the poorest 50% £800 instead and not help the well off.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Does anyone know why every wealthy household in the UK is being given £400 of tax payers money to help them pay energy bills.

Well - clearly designed to keep your average tory-voter onside.

Or why not just cut out the middleman and subsidise the retail sector of the market.

The correct questions are not being asked anywhere.

Look at cfds, if the strike price is > CFD price who keeps the money?

Who is profiting when gas is 39p/therm but the PPA is long term at a contract price of £85/MWh.

Why are retail cos able to make bad procurement decisions then get govt support to allow customers to pay.

All the problems in the market, some of which have been there since the pool days are all coming home to roost at the same time.

The only thing missing is brown and blackouts.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
    It feels like things could get very grim come Autumn/Winter 22 and we are at just the start of the journey. This thread is very thought provoking and makes me think we need a full review of our household budget - clearly some subscriptions can be trimmed or switched.

Yep. I am a classic case of occasionally picking up a 5/10 quid sub, and monthly charity donation here and there. After doing this for a while suddenly a large chunk of money is gone, and per year it's eye watering.

Worth remember that you’re able to start this whenever you like and the rate will be held for 6 months.

If you’re 7 months away from your initial term expiring start the process now. The rates will only go in one direction.

Or simply reinstate the 20 quid a week UC uplift that they took away as a starter along with other measures targetted at those in extreme need...otherwise how will levelling up mean anything...There clearly isn't a high paid jobs tree that can be given a good shake to deliver a quick fix despite the promises to transform the economy in this direction...you need a proper plan for that, a laser like focus on getting it done, time and lots of new investment in skills, education and training...I'll say no more.
    Last edited by Passenger; 28th May 2022 at 09:07.

The clue is 'tax payers'. These so called wealthy households pay much more tax than the poorer ones so by doing what you suggest it would look like these households would need to subsidise even more the poorest which won't go down well in Tory heartlands.

It's all nonsense and will simply increase inflation - pumping yet more money into the economy is just adding fuel to the fire (forgive the pun).

Master

Where do you draw the line?
    What counts as a wealthy household?
    I'd say middle earners are in just as much need of that break as finances will be at the limit for many as mortgages and food/fuel rocket.

Master
    The clue is 'tax payers'. These so called wealthy households pay much more tax than the poorer ones so by doing what you suggest it would look like these households would need to subsidise even more the poorest which won't go down well in Tory heartlands.

It's all nonsense and will simply increase inflation - pumping yet more money into the economy is just adding fuel to the fire (forgive the pun).
    Inflation at this point has nothing to do with consumer spending but everything to do with food and energy costs.
    It obviously won't help but is not going to be the major factor on inflation at this point.
    A lot of households would be in serious trouble without this and no doubt still will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Where do you draw the line?
    What counts as a wealthy household?
    I'd say middle earners are in just as much need of that break as finances will be at the limit for many as mortgages and food/fuel rocket.
    I think the current wage/ economic/ cost of living crises is redrawing the line on what counts as a comfortably off, if not wealthy household...if the great majority were to become poor, struggling and only just about managing, I suppose some claim to achieving parity, levelling up might be made, most would indeed now share the same level.
    Last edited by Passenger; 28th May 2022 at 11:01.

Easy to find out if you look.
    All households in England, Scotland and Wales connected to the electricity mains (about 28 million) will get a non-repayable grant to help towards the cost of energy bills from October. This £400 payment will be spread over six months – it won't be paid as a lump sum.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...-living-costs/

Drop the Treasury a line, they probably haven't considered that.

Let's not forget that we are not getting free money. When the Government gives you money, they are giving you your own money, which you will have to pay back!

Printing money also adds to inflation, whether you call that printing money or quantitive easing.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Worth remember that you’re able to start this whenever you like and the rate will be held for 6 months.

Not true for all lenders, but true for some - validity period of remortgage offer varies by lender. I recommend going through a broker.

Anyone tightening up their finances?

Easy to find out if you look.
    All households in England, Scotland and Wales connected to the electricity mains (about 28 million) will get a non-repayable grant to help towards the cost of energy bills from October. This £400 payment will be spread over six months – it won't be paid as a lump sum.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...-living-costs/
    Think we all know this but not really what poster was asking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Can't imagine how people who live right up to their income are going to save enough to pay the increased energy bills that are coming.

I envy people who can be bothered to budget. I'm sure I'd be a lot wealthier if I did, but probably won't do anything new in reponse to what's happening.

I know what you mean, mate. Poor sods robbing Peter to pay Paul, suffering sleepless nights, maybe going hungry themselves so their kids get a proper meal. Then these desperate people see a get rich quick scheme offering the chance to make hundreds of pounds a day and all they need is a computer, a few hundred quid and five minutes a day. Well bugger me sideways, salvation is at hand, a route out of grinding poverty.

Only it’s a scam. They’ve been suckered. And you’re the scam artist. You’re a lowlife piece of shit.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've started to reduce my frivolous outgoings more in advanced readiness than anything else. Things like takeaways and I ditched sky sports which I hardly ever watched etc.

I work in the public sector and been on the same wage since 2019 they have been negotiating a significant catch up raise but I suspect that ship has sailed and I'm about to get financially smashed.

I recently traded down my car and have almost finished the mortgage. Were it not for that I would feel far less comfortable, but I'm finding the mental impact of covid now this is definitely telling on me.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I know what you mean, mate. Poor sods robbing Peter to pay Paul, suffering sleepless nights, maybe going hungry themselves so their kids get a proper meal. Then these desperate people see a get rich quick scheme offering the chance to make hundreds of pounds a day and all they need is a computer, a few hundred quid and five minutes a day. Well bugger me sideways, salvation is at hand, a route out of grinding poverty.

Only it’s a scam. They’ve been suckered. And you’re the scam artist. You’re a lowlife piece of ****.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have cut down on a lot of the little extras which all add up, luckily we don't drink, smoke or have many evenings out, boring but we get along :)

Even things like Netflix which I watch more than normal TV channels, I was paying £15.99 per month Premium subscription I have now gone down to £10.99 per month Standard subscription and can't tell any difference.

Yep, as much as I have a decent paying job the impulse buying is grinding to a halt, watching what I spend in the supermarkets food wise as I have a habit of stocking then wasting, spending less on takeaways and becoming more conscious of energy usage.
    I have agreed to buy a new motorbike but I’m going from two to one and the days of spending thousands on watches is gone for me tbh.

Just now waiting the budget to see how much more these money grabbing sods take off me…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post

Only it’s a scam. They’ve been suckered. And you’re the scam artist. You’re a lowlife piece of shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post

A bit harsh, McLaren’s don’t buy themselves you know!
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...hlight=McLaren

Scum who run companies like this have no shame- I wonder what they tell people they do for a living in social settings, ‘I run a company that exploits people and sells worthless crap’ or ‘I’m a successful con artist’ don’t go down well in most scenarios.

I once met a TZUK member at a family gathering and we discussed some of the characters on here who flaunt their money- he commented that he had met a member (JDH1) and suggested he was significantly more wealthy than most but less showy than many, which would be understandable given the nasty little business he is allegedly running.

Yuck, what a shitburger.

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    A bit harsh, McLaren’s don’t buy themselves you know!
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...hlight=McLaren

Scum who run companies like this have no shame- I wonder what they tell people they do for a living in social settings, ‘I run a company that exploits people and sells worthless crap’ or ‘I’m a successful con artist’ don’t go down well in most scenarios.

I once met a TZUK member at a family gathering and we discussed some of the characters on here who flaunt their money- he commented that he had met a member (JDH1) and suggested he was significantly more wealthy than most but less showy than many, which would be understandable given the nasty little business he is allegedly running.

Yuck, what a shitburger.
    How do you sleep at night, dont know about you but when my head hits the pillow my conscience is clear - how do you nod off knowing youve deprived people who are probably already struggling their next food shop or electric payment? There really are some utter scum in this world.

There's scum everywhere, including here - disappointing but no surprise. Everyone has a choice, these lowlifes like jdh have chosen to steal from others, from the less fortunate. They are despicable - regardless, we should respect Eddie and tone down the language.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 13th November 2022 at 15:20. Reason: typo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post

Wasn’t it just.

Brought a smile out for sure.

I’ve noticed the shopping bill getting stupid. There are only 2 of us in the house, and with 6 bottles of average wine it’s pushing £130 weekly.

I was amazed buying 24 eggs on Friday night that they were £8. I’d never paid attention before, but am sure they were never that expensive. Scary.

Grand Master
    Like many others myself and Mrs W are looking for areas to save money, but for us it isn’t easy because we don’t do much frivolous spending so scope for belt- tightening is v.limited. We don’t waste food, very rare that anything gets thrown away, we eat leftovers for lunch even if that makes for some interesting combinations. Trying to be more energy- efficient with cooking and being careful with heating is about it, we don’t go out eating and drinking often and apart from Sky TV we don’t pay entertainment subscriptions. I’ve started driving more economically but I don’t do much mileage so any savings are minimal.

I could swap my car for something cheaper to run, fuel and road tax on a 3 litre Jag XF isn’t cheap, but as the car’s 12 years old its not worth much and buying something substantially newer to save on running costs isn’t worthwhile. Still enjoy the car so I just keep running it.

Investment values and the income generated have both taken a hit over the past 18 months, I’d be lying if I said this hadn’t affected me, but I take a philosophical view, I can still afford to do what I want to do because I’m content with not being a big spender. Only thing I’ve spent big on is the bungalow I bought 2 years ago as a ‘project’, like most projects the cost of extension and renovation has gone over time and over budget due to factors outside my control, but that’s drawing to an end with no more significant spending required........thank goodness! Bungalow’s cost more to sort out than I expected but if I’d left the money invested it would've dropped in value so that’s a consolation.

Hopefully the cost of living rises won’t be as damaging for people as the doom- mongers predict, but it’ll be difficult for some. Coming on the back of the Covid crisis it’s bit depressing, world feels like a different place compared to late 2019! As I said to a mate of mine last week when he was having a moan, we’re still shitting, shaving and shining our shoes, life goes on and neither of us need to go to work tomorrow! Got to look on the bright side where possible.