closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: (Yet) more advice required from the PC gurus

Master

(Yet) more advice required from the PC gurus

You guys must be getting fed up with me.... I'm back asking for more guidance...

I have been advised that file read/write speeds would be much higher between two internal SSDs then copying from an external SSD, which sort of makes sense to a layman like me. In an effort to speed up file copy/transfer times (I have over 500GB of photo files plus a few videos and rather a lot of MP3 files) and I would like to install my small 2.5 inch 2TB Toshiba external hard drive (where most of them reside) as an internal drive. This drive's only connection point is a USB3 type B female socket. Currently this is connected to the female type A USB3 socket on a card at the back of the PC by a lead that has type b male and type A male ends. My question is two fold:
    1) Is it correct that performance would be better? and
    2) Is it possible to do this? I have seen several adapter cables that are designed to connect an internal SSD to the exterior of a PPC such as this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyULT-Dri...d_gw_ci_mcx_mi or there are loads on Ebay.

That one appears to have a female type A USB3 connection So my plan would be to connect the Toshiba drive to the adapter, run a power lead into the adapter and connect it to the motherboard via a SATA cable. Note I have power and SATA cables and space on the motherboard for it.

Now I am well aware that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and I am getting out of my depth here. Am I trying for something that can't be done and is too ambitious? Or do you think it's feasible? Grateful for your thoughts.

Rob

Don’t think what you’re suggesting would be faster, you will effectively be using the same connections.

Do you wish to continuously move these files? If it’s a one off I’d just do it with your current set-up.

take a look at a breakdown of your exact external SSD model , lots of external drives are just recased with a usb adaptor and in the past ive broken them open and just removed the drive to fit it internally into another pc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don’t think what you’re suggesting would be faster, you will effectively be using the same connections.

Do you wish to continuously move these files? If it’s a one off I’d just do it with your current set-up.

It’s a 2.5” portable drive so will most likely have a differing board with no SATA connectivity on the drive but the only way to find out would be to open it up.

In terms of transfer speeds, if you’re going to end up using the same connector on your desktop/laptop then you’ll get marginal variances, not enough to bother with.

If you want to speed things up then what other connectors do you have on the desktop/laptop? A usb connector with blue will be usb3 so will offer faster speeds, a usb-c will improve even more but you then need to get an external drive with that connector and you need to make sure that what you check the read/write speeds as some of these will just be the same drive and circuitry therefore the same speeds as what you currently get.

Master
    Hi KS... Thanks for the reply. I did wonder if I was trying to get 'something for nothing' there... My plan is to put two new internal HDs into place, (have ordered 2 Toshiba 1TB drives from Amazon at £27 each) get all the files onto one of them and then clone it to the second one, and as files get added, deleted or changed I can update or re-clone to keep a perfect backup. I was just trying to keep the initial copy time to a minimum.

Master
    500GB of data shouldn’t take too long to transfer over USB3 anyway. 20mins say.
    Even USB2 won’t be more than 3hrs .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    Hi KS... Thanks for the reply. I did wonder if I was trying to get 'something for nothing' there... My plan is to put two new internal HDs into place, (have ordered 2 Toshiba 1TB drives from Amazon at £27 each) get all the files onto one of them and then clone it to the second one, and as files get added, deleted or changed I can update or re-clone to keep a perfect backup. I was just trying to keep the initial copy time to a minimum.

If the data is that valuable to you you might want to consider using some dedicated backup software.

An issue with what you proposed is you have no way to roll back to specific points in time, some of the issues with this are.

1) You accidentally delete some data & are not aware, you clone the source disk to the backup some time later, some time after that you notice the loss & go to your backup & sadly the data has gone from there.

2) You system picks up maleware that encrypts & ransoms your data. You wipe the pc, re-install the os & go to your backup drive, however it was mounted internal in the pc & also infected so your valuable data is still encrypted.

3) The same as 2 but your backup drive was externally connected & you only connected it when doing backups so you restore the pc & your data without issue, unfortunately the clone point was after maleware infection point but before it became active meaning your data still gets encrypted & held to ransom.

With dedicated backup software it’s easy to automate differential backups, meaning you make a full backup at the start & then the next backup will only backup the differences between the initial full backup & now. When the next backup runs it does the same, only backing up the differences between then & the initial backup, this means when you come to restore you now have the option of the file as per the original backup or the first or second differential.

Also remember that backups are only as good as the tested working restore process, the event of a data loss is definitely not the time to learn your backups have issues.

Edit:
    Also £27 for a 1TB ssd seems way too cheap.

If it’s these you’ve ordered https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-MQ0...%2C100&sr=8-19 they are spinning slow hard disk drives not ssid’s.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 13th November 2022 at 10:55.

Master
    What I used to do on my PC was image the install drive once all was setup and running well with Acronis truimage.

Any valuable data I was working with ( photos , film scans , docs) went on a second drive and was also backed up to an external drive and kept on another remote image server .

If my machine acted up I would reinstall from the acronis drive image.

This worked great as I find PCs inrvitable go unstable over time . Bloatware , bad driver ipdates and patches etc.

Use a firewall and antivirus .

I have had no such problems with my macs .