closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Manual Toothbrush

Master

Manual Toothbrush

Anyone still using one? Has anyone moved back to manual after using an electric. I’d love to but seem to get on better with electric but maybe there is a technique trick I’m missing.

Miswak rocks
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, you can get your teeth at least as clean with a manual one as an electric one. Don’t buy the crap ones that are sold in supermarkets…they’re all too big. You want a TePe Compact Medium toothbrush. And no, it’s not a kid’s toothbrush. And daily use of the appropriate sized TePe interdental brush is essential. Between the teeth is where most stuff goes wrong.

I’ve been a dentist for over 36 years &, in my experience, plenty of people show poorer oral hygiene when they switch to an electric toothbrush. I advise a similar number to change from electric to manual as I do manual to electric.

Like luckyhands on the other thread, I’ve been given a lot of electric toothbrushes….that’s how the manufacturers can claim that more dentists use their brand than any other! The latest one was an Oral B IO which had a RRP of over £300. I used it for a couple of weeks then went back to my manual TePe.

Nope and I reckon if electric toothbrushes were more available when I was between 10-20 years old, I’d have a lot less cavities.

Don't doubt a manual can be just as good but teaching a 10-year old the difference between properly brushing and just scrubbing side-to-side is impossible. Much easier to use an electric toothbrush.
    Last edited by Christian; 2nd April 2022 at 21:49.

Master
    Use a manual on holiday but at home Tepe interdental and oral B together with a single tuft brush around the implants

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Yes, you can get your teeth at least as clean with a manual one as an electric one. Don’t buy the crap ones that are sold in supermarkets…they’re all too big. You want a TePe Compact Medium toothbrush. And no, it’s not a kid’s toothbrush. And daily use of the appropriate sized TePe interdental brush is essential. Between the teeth is where most stuff goes wrong.
    Could you tell me - What are the advantages of a TePe compact brush over the cheapo ones and in is flossing as good as the interdental brushes?
    Thanks

Master
    I didn't really get on with an electric toothbrush so went back to a manual one. I figured I must be doing something right as my only real work from a dentist was 4 baby teeth having to be removed as they didn't want to come out on their own and the next generation wanted to come through anyway.
    I'm 50 and have managed not to need a filling so far.

I find electric toothbrushes unbearable due to sensory processing differences.

Manual works just fine for me.

Master

I’ve been a dentist for over 36 years &, in my experience, plenty of people show poorer oral hygiene when they switch to an electric toothbrush. I advise a similar number to change from electric to manual as I do manual to electric.

Like luckyhands on the other thread, I’ve been given a lot of electric toothbrushes….that’s how the manufacturers can claim that more dentists use their brand than any other! The latest one was an Oral B IO which had a RRP of over £300. I used it for a couple of weeks then went back to my manual TePe.
    Very useful info thank you.

On your advice I've now got one and am pleased with it, certainly seems better at 'getting around' my teeth and gums.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Could you tell me - What are the advantages of a TePe compact brush over the cheapo ones and in is flossing as good as the interdental brushes?
    Thanks
    Supermarket toothbrushes generally have too large a head. Imagine cleaning the engine of a motorbike with a scrubbing brush versus a toothbrush. You need something small to get into the intricate spaces. Supermarkets don’t sell them because people think that they’re kids’ toothbrushes so don’t buy them.

Flossing can be as good as anything else if you have the skill to do it properly. Most people don’t do it properly though. I expect there’s a you tube video showing the technique. The TePe’s are a bit less technique sensitive as long as you use the correct size. Practice on the areas you can do. If you keep bending the brush you’re probably doing it wrong. And if your gums bleed it’s a sign that you’re not getting your teeth clean & not that you’re cleaning too hard.

And DAILY interdental cleaning. Very often patients seem surprised when I advise this. Typically they might report using interdental cleaning aids once a week. But if I suggest, if that’s the case, that they might as well only brush once a week they are horrified.

The TePe toothbrushes are cheap btw. We sell them for £1.80

I recall electric toothbrushes used to be more prone to damaging gums.

It's probably not true today, but I tend to use a manual toothbrush at night and an electric in the morning for that reason.

I also often take a manual one if away for just a few days, if I'm traveling light.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Any way to judge what size incidental to get or is it trial and error - I assume it’s to do with gap between teeth but what is a starting point, just go for a mid size?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post
    Any way to judge what size incidental to get or is it trial and error - I assume it’s to do with gap between teeth but what is a starting point, just go for a mid size?
    We sell most of the red, blue & yellow. Maybe start with red but go bigger if it doesn't touch the sides. One size doesn't fit all, not even within the same mouth. I always pre-curve it as well. Also the cap becomes the handle!

Craftsman
    Supermarket toothbrushes generally have too large a head. Imagine cleaning the engine of a motorbike with a scrubbing brush versus a toothbrush. You need something small to get into the intricate spaces. Supermarkets don’t sell them because people think that they’re kids’ toothbrushes so don’t buy them.

Flossing can be as good as anything else if you have the skill to do it properly. Most people don’t do it properly though. I expect there’s a you tube video showing the technique. The TePe’s are a bit less technique sensitive as long as you use the correct size. Practice on the areas you can do. If you keep bending the brush you’re probably doing it wrong. And if your gums bleed it’s a sign that you’re not getting your teeth clean & not that you’re cleaning too hard.

And DAILY interdental cleaning. Very often patients seem surprised when I advise this. Typically they might report using interdental cleaning aids once a week. But if I suggest, if that’s the case, that they might as well only brush once a week they are horrified.

The TePe toothbrushes are cheap btw. We sell them for £1.80
    Thanks for the reply - really helpful, I'll get some.

On a lighter note, no doubt like a few others on here, I always relegate my old toothbrushes to motor cycle cleaning duties- waste not and want not and all that!

Hey Trident! Good to see another Yorkshire dentist! Where are you based?

The literature tells us that interdental brushes are the gold standard for cleaning in-between, the rubber ones are OK too (Like wisdom brand). Floss is only effective if used properly (surprisingly hard). As trident says, smaller heads are better, we sell the Tepe branded ones at the practice.

Put it this way, I used a manual whenever I'm away from my main house. If anyone has any specific questions, we've got the oral B rep coming in next month so I can ask!

Master
    Also purchased the Tepe as recommended and very happy so far but early days. Bought the pack of interdental too with multiple sizes to trial. Haven’t got the hang of how to use yet though!

My 11 year old uses an electric brush but the rest of us are old fashioned. I went to the dentist for an annual check up last month and he said keep doing what you’re doing (I’m in my 40s). I asked about switching to an electric as ‘dentist recommend them’. But mine didn’t.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyhands View Post
    Hey Trident! Good to see another Yorkshire dentist! Where are you based?

The literature tells us that interdental brushes are the gold standard for cleaning in-between, the rubber ones are OK too (Like wisdom brand). Floss is only effective if used properly (surprisingly hard). As trident says, smaller heads are better, we sell the Tepe branded ones at the practice.

Put it this way, I used a manual whenever I'm away from my main house. If anyone has any specific questions, we've got the oral B rep coming in next month so I can ask!
    Hi luckyhands, I’m a Yorkshireman at heart. I grew up in North Yorkshire in a village called Great Ayton in the shadow of the Yorkshire Matterhorn aka Roseberry Topping. One day I’ll buy a hobby farm up there & drive a tractor around a field & tend to a few animals.

Meanwhile I qualified in Bristol & have worked in the same practice in Bristol for 36 years & live in Bath. Currently working Mon/Tues/Wed in practice & teaching the final year dental students the practical aspects of dentistry on Thursdays. That’s real good fun.

Where are you based?

Bought a Tepe brush each for myself and my wife today based on this thread. Quite weird to hold but ensures you don’t brush too hard I think.

We both think it’s a massive difference so thank you for the recommendation.

I tried two different electrics over the years. Could never get them to clean my teeth as well as I could using a manual brush. To me, it's just another revenue/profit play.