closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gtechniq coatings, are they worth it?

Blog Entries

Gtechniq coatings, are they worth it?

I'm collecting a new car next week. Normally I don't have the extras the dealership add on.

However I'm tempted to have the 'Gtechniq' ceramic coating and interior coatings this time.

Is it worth the money and are there any downsides to having it done?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Can’t speak about GTechniq stuff but in general I would say a ceramic coating suits and lasts depending on your situation.

If you like to wash your car every week, it won’t prevent love marks and will only delay the inevitable. If your car is left outside it will not last as long.

But they definitely give you a good base to work from and if properly applied the car needs little to no attention, but if you like the therapy of cleaning your car then I would suggest saving the money and using Jetseal109 regularly.

Interior stuff I wouldn’t touch them, they too often leave everything greasy and you can scotchguard your seats for a few quid.

Finally no offence to dealers but for the money I would price up a new car prep at a well respected detailer. It might be similar money and I’d suspect they will offer more options and be more experienced in doing it.

I had my Golf done last summer with IGL Kenzo and haven’t washed it since, the rain seems to clean it.

Last edited by pete-r; 1st April 2022 at 23:57.

Blog Entries
    That's pretty impressive for not being cleaned!

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s fantastic. I took the car up mid Wales for the day recently and it got filthy after a long spell of dry weather and lots of use on dusty and dirty roads as you can see from the hand prints on the boot, but after a few days it was back to normal.
    Last edited by pete-r; 2nd April 2022 at 08:55.

They are good but I would talk to an authorised G Technic detailer rather than have the car dealer apply it. Better job and probably cheaper too.

Master
    As above I would take it to a detailer yourself and I imagine save a fair bit. I had a ceramic coating put on my car reverently and it’s amazing at keeping the car clean and it will provide some protection.

Gtechnique have blown up in recent years and become a go to car detailing brand of choice.

Craftsman
    Had my vw kombi van done professionally, £720 gave me machine polish, Gtechniq wheels, body and glass. It was a stunning finish and albeit I only had the van for 12 months it was super easy to clean the few times I did, sadly can’t comment long term but was supposedly guaranteed for 5 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I'm collecting a new car next week. Normally I don't have the extras the dealership add on.

However I'm tempted to have the 'Gtechniq' ceramic coating and interior coatings this time.

Is it worth the money and are there any downsides to having it done?
    Yes a detail is worth the money, if you take it to a detailer, but not via a car dealer. Downside is be prepared to leave the car with the detailer for anything from 1 day to 2.5 days depending on how much work you want doing- the detailer will explain the different options of not just how much work you need doing but also different finishing options. The detailer will also explain how you should look after the finish and what products to use. They may also ask you to drop the car in once a year to check the finish is holding up everywhere… quick MOT if you like
    If you want to save a little money the detailer will point out the ‘minimum’ work recommended.
    BUT- the biggest question in my mind is ‘how hands-on are you prepared to be in maintaining your vehicle’ because cheaper options are available which may suit you (and the vast majority) better.
    Last edited by Suds; 2nd April 2022 at 11:27.

I had this product applied to my BMW a couple of weeks after the car arrived. Had it done by a local detailer. I’m not sure I’d use a dealership.

Gloss levels are very good and the car stays cleaner for longer due to how water runs off the panels. It’s also much easier to clean. Every six months a iron fall out clean is recommended as contaminates will bond to the surface. It’s really easy to do.

I’d recommend getting it done. It does need 24hrs to cure with the car kept inside.

The photos below were taken just after it was done.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had the X3 Ceramic coated last summer after collecting the car, it never seams to look dirty now, but it is so easy to clean and no waxing. To clean it I spray the snow foam on leave it ten minutes the rinse off. Simples
    Last edited by hilly10; 2nd April 2022 at 11:46.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Yes a detail is worth the money, if you take it to a detailer, but not via a car dealer. Downside is be prepared to leave the car with the detailer for anything from 1 day to 2.5 days depending on how much work you want doing- the detailer will explain the different options of not just how much work you need doing but also different finishing options. The detailer will also explain how you should look after the finish and what products to use. They may also ask you to drop the car in once a year to check the finish is holding up everywhere… quick MOT if you like
    If you want to save a little money the detailer will point out the ‘minimum’ work recommended.
    BUT- the biggest question in my mind is ‘how hands-on are you prepared to be in maintaining your vehicle’ because cheaper options are available which may suit you (and the vast majority) better.
    To be honest I'm beginning to think it's too much faffing around if it means having to take special measures to look after it. I don't really want to have to take special precautions if I wash the car or if someone else does. If we're away somewhere (hopefuly this year!) then I might run it into a hand car wash for example. It still has to function as a car and not just an ornament.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    To be honest I'm beginning to think it's too much faffing around if it means having to take special measures to look after it. I don't really want to have to take special precautions if I wash the car or if someone else does. If we're away somewhere (hopefuly this year!) then I might run it into a hand car wash for example. It still has to function as a car and not just an ornament.
    That is possibly your answer.

I do not let anyone wash my car, dealer / car wash place etc, they will just ruin it - BMW & Porsche have marred cars in the past with poor wash technique. They spend less time on a whole car than I spend on a wheel when they forgot to turn off my dash cam.

Mine is now 5 years old and needs sorting again. It has performed amazingly, so am happy to spend the cash again.

If yours only lasted 3 year, for the improvement in finish & looking clean, does it sound like value for you? Only you can answer it. Even of you are not in the 2 bucket wash brigade, it will still make your life easier.

But does sound like you are not fussed about a perfect finish, given you will get it washed by anyone with a sponge - so perhaps not.

My Son in Law has been a Director of a number of car dealerships and he told me that these 'special' coatings are a rip off.
    They buy them in for up to £50 and charge anything from £300-£500 to put them on your new car.

Master
    A guy I used to ride with has his own detailing company in the Ribble Valley Lancashire. He was GTechniq approved. I was talking to him about the little bottle of serum and he said the following.

Long before you reach for the serum you have to do all the prep. This is all about removing the swirlies from a new car. He does this panel by panel and to my un educated view the process was quite brutal with initial mop cutting followed by progressive polishing. The resultant final finish was stunning, a real see your face in it look. THEN they apply the GTechniq serum.

I know its a generalisation but I cant see a main dealer doing all that prep. As stated above some folk are paying £750/1000 for a good detail. I recon aside from profit, 75% is labour and skill knowing how to polish the new vehicle. Main dealers do not have these skills available unless they buy it in.

Steve

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    My Son in Law has been a Director of a number of car dealerships and he told me that these 'special' coatings are a rip off.
    They buy them in for up to £50 and charge anything from £300-£500 to put them on your new car.
    In which case, your son in law is admitting that dealership pricing in general is a rip off- I believe some dealerships now charge £180.00 per hour labour costs for servicing (servicing is generally undertaken by apprentices on a meagre wage). The buying in cost for products will obviously be cheaper for a dealer than for retail customers. The rip off generally lies with the failure to apply the products correctly. Smaller dealers often hire a self employed valeter/detailer to apply the product but will restrict the remuneration to £50-£80 per car - that guy can’t possibly be expected to do the job properly = dealer doesn’t give a proverbial because they just want the car looking shiny and increase their profit margin. The large dealerships probably get the onsite inhouse valeting lads to do it and make even more money. I suspect you sil is just making off the cuff comments without giving you the full story.
    Just seen prev post -Stevie might be a retired footballer, but he’s pretty much on the money with his post, it’s 90-95% prep, 5% ish ‘glamour’. Most dealer add on sales are a bit like putting lipstick on a pig
    Last edited by Suds; 2nd April 2022 at 19:06.

Master
    Speak to detailers. A ceramic coat does not need special treatment other than not to polish it. If you are anal like me I top mine up with wax. Saying they don’t work is also nonsense and very much depends on the ceramic coating applied and peoples expectations. Not all coatings are made equal. If your expectation is stone chip protection you will be disappointed. The goal of a good ceramic coating is to repel dirt and make cleaning easier for a given period of time. It will provide some protection as it is a hard layer over the paint but have realistic expectations.

Generally, car dealers do not use 'proper' detailers per se. It's an up-sell to them and they are not interested in the end result/longevity. It says a lot about car dealerships TBH.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Just go to a proper detailer. My Macan after a year with C.Quartz - all I do is hose it down if it gets a bit dirty. Usually a heavy rain shower sorts it.

Blog Entries
    I think it's worth passing on the dealer offer as you say, and after I've had the car a few weeks decide then if I think it warrants doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    That is possibly your answer.

I do not let anyone wash my car, dealer / car wash place etc, they will just ruin it - BMW & Porsche have marred cars in the past with poor wash technique. They spend less time on a whole car than I spend on a wheel when they forgot to turn off my dash cam.

Mine is now 5 years old and needs sorting again. It has performed amazingly, so am happy to spend the cash again.

If yours only lasted 3 year, for the improvement in finish & looking clean, does it sound like value for you? Only you can answer it. Even of you are not in the 2 bucket wash brigade, it will still make your life easier.

But does sound like you are not fussed about a perfect finish, given you will get it washed by anyone with a sponge - so perhaps not.
    You're right, the 'perfect finish' doesn't really interest me, I just like them to look clean.

Master
    Blog Entries
    OK, this comment is a very general one and not targeted in any way to the OP because there are a multitude of options ranging from nothing to everything - the choice all depends on the individual. And assuming that people don’t want to be a slave to washing their cars…

Broadly speaking, some people want and are prepared to pay for the best, some people just want a shiny clean loooking car. Probs 95% of the population fall in to the latter (even if some of those think they want a higher spec).
    So, as a base point, I would offer three suggestions….

1) Utilise a mobile valeter on a periodic basis - do whatever you want in between visits, or nothing at all.

2) Use a waterless wash ‘n’ wax (yes the much derided type often bought from shopping channels) although I would use that in a safer way than advertised.

3) Utilise a ‘hand car wash’ - sometimes an ethical and practical minefield for me personally.

The above will absolutely satisfy 95% of the market. Feel free to pay my consultancy fee in to a fundraiser

Master
    These are not the same products as used by professional detailers

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    These are not the same products as used by professional detailers
    Agreed - big difference between a 'valet company' and a professional detailer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Agreed - big difference between a 'valet company' and a professional detailer.
    100% agreed.

Despise dealers for this behaviour, amongst others, and practically their whole existence.

Small Porsche service. £600. £4K optional stuff including £1300 for front pads, just pads that have 10k left at least.

Blog Entries
    OK, this comment is a very general one and not targeted in any way to the OP because there are a multitude of options ranging from nothing to everything - the choice all depends on the individual. And assuming that people don’t want to be a slave to washing their cars…

Broadly speaking, some people want and are prepared to pay for the best, some people just want a shiny clean loooking car. Probs 95% of the population fall in to the latter (even if some of those think they want a higher spec).
    So, as a base point, I would offer three suggestions….

1) Utilise a mobile valeter on a periodic basis - do whatever you want in between visits, or nothing at all.

2) Use a waterless wash ‘n’ wax (yes the much derided type often bought from shopping channels) although I would use that in a safer way than advertised.

3) Utilise a ‘hand car wash’ - sometimes an ethical and practical minefield for me personally.

The above will absolutely satisfy 95% of the market. Feel free to pay my consultancy fee in to a fundraiser
    So now I've got the car, and didn't have the dealer option of the GTechnic, as I didn't believe it would be done properly listening to advice on here.

So, what would be the best value for money 'ceramic' style coating to go for?

And anyone have any recommendations of people in Bedfordshire/Hertfordshire?

Would want something to last 2-4 years, until car or the coating is replaced.

Thanks

Craftsman
    Yep ceramic coatings are sometimes worthwhile it depends on how much you pay and who does it though, doesnt have to be Gtechniq

It gives a decent finish , stays cleaner for longer and makes washing a doddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    100% agreed.

Despise dealers for this behaviour, amongst others, and practically their whole existence.

Small Porsche service. £600. £4K optional stuff including £1300 for front pads, just pads that have 10k left at least.
    And now, if the wear indicator is on it is an MOT failure.

Do any of these coatings protect against an idiot who decides to run a key down the side of your car! - or a door carelessly opened by someone next to it in a car park leaving a nice deep dink? - or a stone flicked across the bonnet by a car travelling in the other direction leaving a deep chip? - waste of money imho

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Do any of these coatings protect against an idiot who decides to run a key down the side of your car! - or a door carelessly opened by someone next to it in a car park leaving a nice deep dink? - or a stone flicked across the bonnet by a car travelling in the other direction leaving a deep chip? - waste of money imho
    Of course not - stupid point, stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Of course not - stupid point, stupid question.
    In your opinion. I’m simply making the point that these coatings don’t really protect anything in real life. Therefore I think they are stupid. You are of course entitled to a different opinion!

In your opinion. I’m simply making the point that these coatings don’t really protect anything in real life. Therefore I think they are stupid. You are of course entitled to a different opinion!
    In real life they protect against dirt, grime and stain marks appearing on your paintwork, along with oxidation and other air-borne acidic contaminants.

I've found them beneficial in enhancing the resale values of my cars too.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Do they protect against scratches from fingernails, hedgerows etc?

They protect paint, bodywork and interior trim for those people who chose to look after their vehicles.

As for real life?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Do they protect against scratches from fingernails, hedgerows etc?
    No idea about fingernails, but living surrounded by Devon lanes I can say that the marks from hedgerows are easier to cut out when the paintwork has been protected. But of course, there's a long list of things that can happen to your car's paintwork that nothing can give protection against...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    No idea about fingernails, but living surrounded by Devon lanes I can say that the marks from hedgerows are easier to cut out when the paintwork has been protected. But of course, there's a long list of things that can happen to your car's paintwork that nothing can give protection against...

R
    Thanks, though presumably cutting removes the coating to some extent.

Always seem to have fingernail scratches around the handle - esp. passenger side...

Apologies for being facetious - I like a clean car, but over the years I’ve totally lost interest in worrying about them. I’m clearly not the target market for these coatings! I will say that every rubbishy second hand car I’ve had has remained unmarked, but every time I’ve had a nice car I started polishing etc it’s been damaged or pranged. I think it’s called Sod’s law