closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega AT - is it just me?

Master

Omega AT - is it just me?

The new Omega Aqua Terras in a range of colours got a lot of flack for following Rolex. But the colours are actually more pleasant and there's a very nice blue, as well as a more or less classic champagne in the mix. 38mm is perfect for me too, better than either of the Rolex Oyster Perpetual sizes.

But... is it just me who would prefer the one on the left? I can kind of see why they did it, the real one on the right is more jazzy, more top hat and tails, it's trying to be a bit more 'wow'. But I don't want a watch that's jazzy and trying to be anything, I want an Aqua terra that's just right, and with this dial it so very nearly is. But, polished centre links. Flared crown. Date at 6.

Is it just me?

Ok not great photoshop skills on a Friday pm when I should be working, but you get the idea... so near yet so far!

Think I prefer the right. Date at 6 looks more balanced and I like the flared crown. Also, the polished bracelet integrates with the polished parts of the case better. A fully matt bracelet seems to separate case from bracelet too much for my liking, despite knowing the irritation of shiny PCLs. Can’t quite tell from the renders…not a fan of dials with any kind of shine though…would have to be more matt like the Globemaster dial.

Much prefer the one on the left - it would be the perfect AT.

Not just you, I much prefer the one in the left.

I prefer the one on the right actually but these would be so much nicer with colour matched date wheels

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I prefer the one on the right actually but these would be so much nicer with colour matched date wheels
    Agree…it’s odd how they choose to match the date wheel on the Globemaster which is a very similar looking watch but don’t on this.

I really dislike the move to a date a 6 :(

If it was never at 3, I would mind so much - but it’s awful for me, and the reason I won’t buy a current SMP300m - at least not a model with a date
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Guess you’d get used to it but the expectation is 3 o’clock positioning so anything else looks odd.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I really dislike the move to a date a 6 :(

If it was never at 3, I would mind so much - but it’s awful for me, and the reason I won’t buy a current SMP300m - at least not a model with a date
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Guess you’d get used to it but the expectation is 3 o’clock positioning so anything else looks odd.
    They moved it to create 'symmetry', to give it balance as Christian said - and it used to be lopsided with crown guards too. But to me a date at 3 balances the crown, it's like a reflection, as well as being more practical under a cuff.

I do realise I've basically tried to turn it back into an AT Skyfall more or less, but the new version is actually slimmer and wears better than the Skyfall, and I wasn't sure about the date window surround on that one. This one also benefits from a dial similar to the older design. Take the best bits of all the ATs and you could have the perfect one. This one so easily could be. Perhaps it wouldn't be the most exciting watch, but it would do what an AT is supposed to do, which is work anywhere.

Deffo the left one for me.

I've tried PCLs and briefly thought they were OK, now I'm back to really disliking them again, especially on a watch like the AT.

I thought the teak dial era was 'the one' but the lack of micro-adjustment on the bracelet killed it for me. I went through three before I accepted it was never going to fit, no matter how many half links I bought.

Left, no question. Couldn’t buy a watch with the date at 6.

Master
    This is why I like my 8500 model. The pcl, odd chapped crown and case back ruin the watch for me.

I really like 6, brings symmetry to the dial. 3 looks odd most of the time IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

I thought the teak dial era was 'the one' but the lack of micro-adjustment on the bracelet killed it for me.
    Nail on head there to be fair. I love mine and it is a keeper but I just wish that bracelet had ANY kind of adjustment. For that reason alone it doesn’t get the wear it deserves.

Master
    It seems it’s not just me, though some don’t mind a date at 6. So here’s a suggestion. How about a no-date AT without the polished centre links, and a bit less expensive than the usual version. Much like an Oyster Perpetual as compared to a Datejust, no date and brushed bracelet. I could probably live with the crown if they fixed the main issues. After all, Omega don’t seem to mind following the Rolex lead with these, why not go all the way?

Last edited by Itsguy; 2nd April 2022 at 09:21.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    It seems it’s not just me, though some don’t mind a date at 6. So here’s a suggestion. How about a no-date AT without the polished centre links, and a bit less expensive than the usual version. Much like an Oyster Perpetual as compared to a Datejust, no date and brushed bracelet. I could probably live with the crown if they fixed the main issues. After all, Omega don’t seem to mind following the Rolex lead with these, why not go all the way?

That 's the version i'd have!
    Although I have to admit I seem to be in a minority that really like the new 38 ATs

I like that, I can live without a date, the deletion of pcl is a massive plus, they're just too flashy and impractical for me.

Omega AT - is it just me?

The skyfall gen was definitely the best. Not just because of the framed date, thicker bracelet and brushed centre links but the longer lug-to-lug gave it better proportions overall.

The problem with the AT, is that Omega have lost their focus as to what it’s meant to be. It used to be a dressy sport watch which was extremely versatile. To me it was Omega’s explorer. It then became more datejust with precious metals, diamond set bezels, PCLs, multiple sizes, and most recently very colourful dials (though blue and black were always staples beforehand). The newer watches have lost their sports watch credentials, in my eyes.

Having said the above, a straight-up, teak dial, centre seconds AT still holds its own IMO and the other skews don’t take away from it but they do show that Omega are doing their usual tactic of throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks. Ultimately, what matters is sales and I’m sure the AT will continue to evolve as dictated by the market.

EDIT: I do like that no date render. Less is more!

The one on the left beats the right for me. However I personally wouldn't be tempted by either. The no-date render is the pick of the bunch for me by a country mile.

I'm a big fan of no-date watches. Personally I find the date a bit of an eyesore, annoying to set and even more redundant than the timekeeping function in an age where I have an unending calendar in my pocket on the rare occasion I need the date. There are of course exceptions.

Don't even get me started on the barnacle that people call a 'cyclops'.

From Omega's perspective, this would probably be too similar to the Railmaster perhaps?

I like it too though and agree with the general sentiment ref the AT. I have one of the more recent ones and it's an excellent watch for most situations, they just need to pick a design and settle on it for a while. The nicest one aesthetically I ever had was the original 38.5mm white dial blue hands one which I foolishly sold here and have regretted ever since. It was absolutely lovely...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard View Post
    From Omega's perspective, this would probably be too similar to the Railmaster perhaps?

I like it too though and agree with the general sentiment ref the AT. I have one of the more recent ones and it's an excellent watch for most situations, they just need to pick a design and settle on it for a while. The nicest one aesthetically I ever had was the original 38.5mm white dial blue hands one which I foolishly sold here and have regretted ever since. It was absolutely lovely...
    Don’t get me started on the Railmaster! The one without polished links is 40mm and has a very faux vintage dial, while the ‘57 is even more faux vintage and has polished outer links, lugs, and vintage case shape. For me it’s no substitute for a (fixed) AT which is a modern watch. I love vintage watches but not faux vintage watches. It’s a pity as the Railmaster should be Omega’s better sized Explorer.

I agree with you that the white / blue ATs were among the best, though the newer thinner cases have at least got that part right and they wear exceptionally well - which is why it’s so frustrating they can’t get the details right.

Apprentice
    Much prefer the date at the 6 than the 3 for symmetry and the polished center links are a great addition to match the sunburst dials IMO. I'd even like to have the new bracelet on some of the older models as well.

Agree with others...this would be the winner for me. Unless the watch has another complication like GMT, I prefer no date watches.

Blog Entries
    . . . . .

I agree with you that the white / blue ATs were among the best, though the newer thinner cases have at least got that part right and they wear exceptionally well - which is why it’s so frustrating they can’t get the details right.
    Wish I’d got this one.

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks bland as hell to me without the ‘deck’ effect on the dial.

Omega really do change things ways too drastically and too soon.

I imagine the omega will be available for rrp. The coloured Rolex perpetual rrp £4700 are currently going for 2 or 3 times that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Looks bland as hell to me without the ‘deck’ effect on the dial.

Omega really do change things ways too drastically and too soon.
    FWIW the 'decking' is still with us, though in horizontal form. The coloured sunburst dials are an option and not a replacement, and are a nod back to earlier ATs. I'd be happy with 'decking' if they sorted out the date, polished centre links, and ideally the crown - though the previous vertical decking looked better to me.

ATs are like a horological fruit machine, hopefully if they keep pulling the lever, one day they'll hit the jackpot.

I bought this 39.5mm 2500 co-axial and it's pretty much put an end to my watch flipping. I haven't bought a watch in nearly 18 months since getting it.

Understated. Slim profile. Brushed links. Yes.... A white date wheel but you know what? My eyesight isn't what it used to be and I can read it on white! I'd never see the date without glasses on a colour matched wheel. Its my perfect everyday watch. Display back is a nice touch too.

Poor quality phone pic but you can see the deep blue dial pretty well in this:

One more rubbish pic.... Asides from a few sentimental gifted watches, I'm a 2 watch person now.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    One more rubbish pic.... Asides from a few sentimental gifted watches, I'm a 2 watch person now.

That’s a perfect 2 watch combo. I’m envious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post

Great combo - my quartz variant
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Craftsman
    Sorry to be different -- but I think the somewhat mundane AT is transformed by the small seconds sub-dial, and it contrives to make the date display look relatively harmonious . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    Sorry to be different -- but I think the somewhat mundane AT is transformed by the small seconds sub-dial, and it contrives to make the date display look relatively harmonious . . . .

Not to mention an extremely attractive colour scheme...