closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 64

Thread: A nice problem to have ...40th birthday watch for next year...decisions decisions

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,741
    Blog Entries
    1

    A nice problem to have ...40th birthday watch for next year...decisions decisions

    After speaking with my better half WE have agreed I can spend up to £7k on my 40th birthday watch. I am sure there could be some wiggle room there if required. Issue i have is choosing what to buy!

    My criteria is:
    - No bigger than 43mm diameter.
    - No thicker than 13mm.
    - Sporty design preferred as I don't dress up often.
    - Open to different complications.
    - Ideally on a bracelet.
    - I already own an Omega AT 41.5mm 8500 and an IWC Mk XVIII le petit prince so something to compliment those.

    The short list is:
    - Omega speedmaster professional sapphire crystal variant - Front runner
    - Zenith chronomaster original - Possibly too small for my 7 inch wrist. Not sure about PCL.
    - GO seaq, small date model - PCL is an issue again.
    - GO panomatic lunar - possibly to dressy and may not age well.
    - JLC polaris.

    What would you buy? What else would you consider?

    Stu
    Last edited by Stuno1; 1st April 2022 at 15:48.

  2. #2
    be safe and boring. get an Omega

  3. #3
    Master numberjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    2,485
    Blog Entries
    1
    From your list , SeaQ but I'm biased.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,327
    Blog Entries
    1
    Iíd get the reverse panda Zenith or moonwatch

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    London/Surrey
    Posts
    266
    My vote is the speedy. Canít go wrong.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex
    Posts
    850
    From your suggested list my top pick would be the Zenith and then the speedy. Both classic choices. I really like the Polaris with the blue dial too but the others are above it for me and maybe its too similar to the AT.
    As another choice outside of those mentioned Id suggest the Cartier Santos.

  7. #7
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lagoa, Portugal
    Posts
    11,179
    Blog Entries
    20
    My suggestions:
    Omega Seamaster
    Zenith Chronosport (slightly over budget) - 41mm
    Have a look at GS
    Rolex Submariner non-date (chortle) at MRP

    if you can go 2nd hand this opens up a wider choice

    Blancpain FF at a squeeze (both in budget and size) for example?

    Nice thing to choose. Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 1st April 2022 at 16:29.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly soĒ. HHGTTG

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,741
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Omega Seamaster
    Zenith Chronosport (slightly over budget) - 41mm
    Have a look at GS

    if you can go 2nd hand this opens up a wider choice

    Blancpain FF at a squeeze for example?

    Nice thing to choose. Martyn
    I do like the chronomaster sport but even used they are £8.5k. I have looked at blancpain FF but not used. I’ll have a poke around at used examples. I have looked at GS bit they are just not quite right. I will be popping to london soon and trying many many watches on.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    From your suggested list my top pick would be the Zenith and then the speedy. Both classic choices. I really like the Polaris with the blue dial too but the others are above it for me and maybe its too similar to the AT.
    As another choice outside of those mentioned Id suggest the Cartier Santos.
    That is a nice looking watch and I looked at JLC reverso but not for me.

  9. #9
    Submariner

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,741
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Submariner
    Lol! The only one I like is the green bezel and no way I will get one of those at retail. Unfortunately all my good will is with Fraser Hart. Was a bit gutted when they stopped selling Rolex.

  11. #11
    Craftsman kinyik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    321
    Canít go wrong with a speedy. Cult classic, endless strap options. Keeps things feeling fresh. The new bracelets are a class act.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North
    Posts
    17,511
    Blog Entries
    2
    ^I agree, speedy.

  13. #13
    Master valleywatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    south wales
    Posts
    3,068
    Id say the G.O. Seaq......

    "Safest" bet ,(or one that you'd probably wear the most !) would be the Speedy.

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,741
    Blog Entries
    1
    Lots of love for the speedy and I get it. Itís top of my list for a reason. Timeless look, great bracelet, versatile, can be dressed up and down, love the new movement and hacking capability, love the new case.

    Just making sure I cover all my options!

  15. #15
    Master valleywatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    south wales
    Posts
    3,068
    Or how about!

    G.O. Sixties Panorama date?

    Or even a Zenith Defy?

    Both lovely watches, and certainly a bit different to the everyday norm?!

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bury, UK
    Posts
    1,859
    Longine Compressor?

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,031
    GS titanium diver, if you can stomach the 14mm thickness.

  18. #18
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    6,732
    Speedy is a good choice but how about finding an original 1983 Speedmaster with a long S & R dial?

  19. #19
    Craftsman wigdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Hove,UK
    Posts
    384
    JLC Polaris. Really nice watch and a bit different.

    Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Obvious choice (probably for a reason) is a speedy, canít go wrong.

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,741
    Blog Entries
    1
    Cheers folks. I think for a anniversary watch the speedy is and will probably be the one I go for. The others might be better as inbetween watches that I can experiment with and move on if needed.

  22. #22
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    226
    Speedy gets my vote too

  23. #23
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Warsash, Hampshire
    Posts
    719
    I like the first three of your choices and really like the GO SeaQ diver. How about the new Green Seamaster and use the savings on a 40th birthday long weekend away to European city of your choice as well

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,741
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmer42 View Post
    I like the first three of your choices and really like the GO SeaQ diver. How about the new Green Seamaster and use the savings on a 40th birthday long weekend away to European city of your choice as well
    I looked at the white dial seamaster a month or so ago and surprisingly it did nothing for me. The bezel action was really poor and cheapened the watch for me. I was left disappointed.

    Luckily my wife has said we will be dropping off the nipper with my parents for a weekend to do a trip away too 😊

  25. #25
    Craftsman Ascalon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    253
    If you haven't had one before, I'd say Speedie too.
    If you have the means, it is a good itch to scratch.

  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    1,214
    I was going to create a post about the exact same topic - itís my 40th next week! Been told there will be no Rolex so itís between a GO SeaQ, IWC Big Pilot 43 and a Panerai Luminor.

    All three are lovely but I donít really need another diver, the IWC is overpriced and only the Panerai is REALLY grabbing me. I love it!

    I considered a Speedmaster as well, so from your list thatís what Iíd go for.


  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,741
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    I was going to create a post about the exact same topic - itís my 40th next week! Been told there will be no Rolex so itís between a GO SeaQ, IWC Big Pilot 43 and a Panerai Luminor.

    All three are lovely but I donít really need another diver, the IWC is overpriced and only the Panerai is REALLY grabbing me. I love it!

    I considered a Speedmaster as well, so from your list thatís what Iíd go for.

    I looked at these as well. I will add a panerai at some point. Especially love that one with the white dial. Iím pretty sure Iíll be getting the speedy pro and buying the chronoscope clasp to go with it for tool less micro adjust functionality.

  28. #28
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South West London
    Posts
    715
    I think it should definitely be a chronograph.

    So a speedie is the obvious choice and easy to get hold of.
    The Zenith is much more interesting horologically, if you can find one in budget.
    Another option to look at is the Tudor Black Bay Chrono - great looking, under budget too.
    Oh, and I have a soft spot for IWC pilot chronos.

    Canít go wrong with any of these - what a lovely problem to have.

    TPT

  29. #29
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11
    Zenith Chronomaster all day for me, Chronomaster sport if you can find one under 7K

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,448
    I would definitely go Speedy or Zenith out of your list.

    Personally I'd also be taking a look at Grand Seiko, but you mention you're not keen so they're out! ]

    Please update us with what you get :)

  31. #31
    Master goregasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Knowsley
    Posts
    1,090

    A nice problem to have ...40th birthday watch for next year...decisions decisions

    I had a similar dilemma for my 40th and in the end I didnít choose anything. However my wife gifted me a Speedmaster anyway!




    Love it and itííll never get sold
    Last edited by goregasm; 3rd April 2022 at 09:16.

  32. #32
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,741
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tenpasten View Post
    I think it should definitely be a chronograph.

    So a speedie is the obvious choice and easy to get hold of.
    The Zenith is much more interesting horologically, if you can find one in budget.
    Another option to look at is the Tudor Black Bay Chrono - great looking, under budget too.
    Oh, and I have a soft spot for IWC pilot chronos.

    Canít go wrong with any of these - what a lovely problem to have.

    TPT
    I did consider this but owns the BB41 GMT and found that too big and heavy so the chronograph would be the same.

  33. #33
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,741
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by goregasm View Post
    I had a similar dilemma for my 40th and in the end I didnít choose anything. However my wife gifted me a Speedmaster anyway!




    Love it and itííll never get sold
    Congratulations. They are lovely and as you say it needs to be a keeper and the speedy I can see being just that.

  34. #34
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,741
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by al1991 View Post
    I would definitely go Speedy or Zenith out of your list.

    Personally I'd also be taking a look at Grand Seiko, but you mention you're not keen so they're out! ]

    Please update us with what you get :)
    Will do! It will be a long process as not buying until next year and visiting london this year to try them all on and more. Once on the wrist my decision may well change!

  35. #35
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    762
    Another vote for the Speedmaster.

  36. #36
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    33,949
    This, even if it requires a very slight flexing of your budget. I love mine (and now have the bracelet too) and will never sell it.


  37. #37
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,741
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    This, even if it requires a very slight flexing of your budget. I love mine (and now have the bracelet too) and will never sell it.

    It would be this or the speedy but this is 8.5k used and the speedy is under 6k with anticipated discount new. Also I am not a fan of the pcl on the zenith and the finally I can by the chronoscope tool less adjusting clasp for the speedy.

  38. #38
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Selkirk,Scotland
    Posts
    142
    I was with my friend last week when he got the Speedy sapphire on leather (his choice, me always bracelet) from the Omega Boutique in Edinburgh.

    He got 8.4% discount for cash or card transaction (he paid by card) and we got a few freebies.

    Don't know if there are any better deals out there?

    Richy

  39. #39
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,741
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    I was with my friend last week when he got the Speedy sapphire on leather (his choice, me always bracelet) from the Omega Boutique in Edinburgh.

    He got 8.4% discount for cash or card transaction (he paid by card) and we got a few freebies.

    Don't know if there are any better deals out there?

    Richy
    Thatís not bad. Iíll go via my AD and see what they can offer.

  40. #40
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Woodbridge England
    Posts
    622
    I have the PML and find it just amazing . . . .



    . . . . . but it is not a "sports" watch.

    SeaQ is good, but I'd go for the PanoramaDate version with Kaliber 36.

    I admire the Polaris immensely, but it fails to stir my soul (just me personally -- it really is something rather special).


    The other options outlined will fit in well with all the others in the pub.

  41. #41
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    33,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    It would be this or the speedy but this is 8.5k used and the speedy is under 6k with anticipated discount new. Also I am not a fan of the pcl on the zenith and the finally I can by the chronoscope tool less adjusting clasp for the speedy.
    Shame, because this is a better watch by some margin (IMO).

  42. #42
    Journeyman the_gazelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Huntingdon
    Posts
    81
    Sounds like youíve made your mind up OP but just to say that I have the Speedie and added the Polaris last year and the Speedie barely gets worn now! The JLC is stunning and practical and just a lovely thing to wear that still makes me smile a year later!

    All the best for your birthday!

    IMG_7863.JPG

  43. #43
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,741
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Shame, because this is a better watch by some margin (IMO).
    If it were in my budget it would be a far more difficult decision.

  44. #44
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    900
    Birth year speedmaster would be my choice if you can find a nice example. All the best


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  45. #45
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,335
    Any updates OP?

    Considering my options for 40th present. Wife has suggested she was looking into itÖ rude not to thoroughly research it.

    New options under consideration Panerai 8days manual wind, but Iíve always promised myself a Sinn 356 copper dial.

    I do keep coming back to vintage, suits the rest of my modest collection and is something more left field. Couple of Heuers taking eye but also a 60s Rolex precision. Little easier on the wallet as well

    A nice distraction for rest of weekend.

  46. #46
    Craftsman theancientmariner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Newcastle, U.K.
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Lots of love for the speedy and I get it. Itís top of my list for a reason. Timeless look, great bracelet, versatile, can be dressed up and down, love the new movement and hacking capability, love the new case. !
    At the risk of being ostracised, the Speedy is the last watch I would go for as a 40th birthday present precisely for the reasons you've mentioned. If it was a car it would be an Audi A4. It's very good at everything it does but it's fairly bland. That might be what you want, I don't know but if it were my 40th birthday present it would have the criteria you mention in your OP but have something a little bit different about it. For that reason from your list I would choose either one of the GO's or the JLC. In 20 years time, it would still be a talking point the moment that someone else looked at it rather than being a watch where it's very likely that someone you're talking to might say 'I have one of those'.

  47. #47
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,741
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lippy View Post
    Any updates OP?

    Considering my options for 40th present. Wife has suggested she was looking into itÖ rude not to thoroughly research it.

    New options under consideration Panerai 8days manual wind, but Iíve always promised myself a Sinn 356 copper dial.

    I do keep coming back to vintage, suits the rest of my modest collection and is something more left field. Couple of Heuers taking eye but also a 60s Rolex precision. Little easier on the wallet as well

    A nice distraction for rest of weekend.
    This will be a slow burn as not buying until next year. I have a trip to london in June so will get my hands on all the watches I am looking at and more. I have tried the speedy and really like it. The movement looks superb. Iíd also order the chronoscope clasp as it had a tool less micro adjust. I do want to try other watches and take my time.

    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    At the risk of being ostracised, the Speedy is the last watch I would go for as a 40th birthday present precisely for the reasons you've mentioned. If it was a car it would be an Audi A4. It's very good at everything it does but it's fairly bland. That might be what you want, I don't know but if it were my 40th birthday present it would have the criteria you mention in your OP but have something a little bit different about it. For that reason from your list I would choose either one of the GO's or the JLC. In 20 years time, it would still be a talking point the moment that someone else looked at it rather than being a watch where it's very likely that someone you're talking to might say 'I have one of those'.
    I understand this approach but I look at my omega AT I bought almost 10 years ago for my 30th and it still looks superb. For me Iíd rather buy a classic and have more out there watches inbetween that I can move on if I donít gel gel with them.

  48. #48
    Craftsman theancientmariner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Newcastle, U.K.
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I understand this approach but I look at my omega AT I bought almost 10 years ago for my 30th and it still looks superb. For me Iíd rather buy a classic and have more out there watches inbetween that I can move on if I donít gel gel with them.
    it's a fair point and I totally understand it. I wouldn't necessarily 'take a punt' on an obscure watch for a landmark moment, I'd just want it to be more memorable than something I could buy next week, wear daily and effectively forget the moment that I purchased it. Of course you could make the day that you buy your Speedy memorable in which case the choice of the watch itself wouldn't be so critical.

  49. #49
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,741
    Blog Entries
    1
    Small update. While in london today (not for my watch trip to london) my wife suggested going to WOS. I wasnít going to say no but also didnít want to take the mick and be in there too long.

    - Tried on the GS white birch and while nice is too dressy for me and a 22mm bracelet was at odds with the design and feel of the watch. Didnít work for me. I did find the clap to be more refined than I was expecting though. Unfortunately there were none of the new GMT watches and the snowflake was not there either.

    - The zenith chronomaster original, as I suspected was too small for me. Lovely bit too small.

    - The zenith chronosport was a surprise and I was not expecting to see one and didnít intend to try one on. The chap pulled one out and suggested it based on the watches we were discussing. It was the black dial model and it was a peach. Dimensions were spot on. The dial was awesome. It had a nice taper on the bracelet. It wasnít too heavy. The display case back displayed the beautiful movement. Still not a fan of PCL. No half links and no tool less micro adjust capability are negatives. Also the clasp had metal keepers on the clasp and not spring loaded ceramic ones like omega. Even my wife liked it. Iíd like to see the white dial model.

    Some thinking to be done!

  50. #50
    Journeyman Watch_Collector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    155
    I asked the same question on here about 18 months ago and I got some really good suggestions. I talked to my wife about it and she asked a simple question, is it a watch youíre going to keep or sell in a few years? That changed my perspective slightly, was I buying it to mark my 40th or do I want to have it forever? Maybe ask yourself, if you havenít already, the same question? That may focus the search a little?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information