closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A nice problem to have ...40th birthday watch for next year...decisions decisions

Master

A nice problem to have ...40th birthday watch for next year...decisions decisions

After speaking with my better half WE have agreed I can spend up to £7k on my 40th birthday watch. I am sure there could be some wiggle room there if required. Issue i have is choosing what to buy!

My criteria is:
    - No bigger than 43mm diameter.
    - No thicker than 13mm.
    - Sporty design preferred as I don't dress up often.
    - Open to different complications.
    - Ideally on a bracelet.
    - I already own an Omega AT 41.5mm 8500 and an IWC Mk XVIII le petit prince so something to compliment those.

The short list is:
    - Omega speedmaster professional sapphire crystal variant - Front runner
    - Zenith chronomaster original - Possibly too small for my 7 inch wrist. Not sure about PCL.
    - GO seaq, small date model - PCL is an issue again.
    - GO panomatic lunar - possibly to dressy and may not age well.
    - JLC polaris.

What would you buy? What else would you consider?

Stu
    Last edited by Stuno1; 1st April 2022 at 15:48.

be safe and boring. get an Omega

Blog Entries
    From your list , SeaQ but I'm biased.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’d get the reverse panda Zenith or moonwatch

Craftsman
    My vote is the speedy. Can’t go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    From your suggested list my top pick would be the Zenith and then the speedy. Both classic choices. I really like the Polaris with the blue dial too but the others are above it for me and maybe its too similar to the AT.
    As another choice outside of those mentioned Id suggest the Cartier Santos.

Blog Entries
    My suggestions:
    Omega Seamaster
    Zenith Chronosport (slightly over budget) - 41mm
    Have a look at GS
    Rolex Submariner non-date (chortle) at MRP

if you can go 2nd hand this opens up a wider choice

Blancpain FF at a squeeze (both in budget and size) for example?

Nice thing to choose. Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 1st April 2022 at 16:29.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Omega Seamaster
    Zenith Chronosport (slightly over budget) - 41mm
    Have a look at GS

if you can go 2nd hand this opens up a wider choice

Blancpain FF at a squeeze for example?

Nice thing to choose. Martyn
    I do like the chronomaster sport but even used they are £8.5k. I have looked at blancpain FF but not used. I’ll have a poke around at used examples. I have looked at GS bit they are just not quite right. I will be popping to london soon and trying many many watches on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    From your suggested list my top pick would be the Zenith and then the speedy. Both classic choices. I really like the Polaris with the blue dial too but the others are above it for me and maybe its too similar to the AT.
    As another choice outside of those mentioned Id suggest the Cartier Santos.
    That is a nice looking watch and I looked at JLC reverso but not for me.

Submariner

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Submariner
    Lol! The only one I like is the green bezel and no way I will get one of those at retail. Unfortunately all my good will is with Fraser Hart. Was a bit gutted when they stopped selling Rolex.

Can’t go wrong with a speedy. Cult classic, endless strap options. Keeps things feeling fresh. The new bracelets are a class act.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    ^I agree, speedy.

Id say the G.O. Seaq......

"Safest" bet ,(or one that you'd probably wear the most !) would be the Speedy.

Master
    Lots of love for the speedy and I get it. It’s top of my list for a reason. Timeless look, great bracelet, versatile, can be dressed up and down, love the new movement and hacking capability, love the new case.

Just making sure I cover all my options!

Or how about!

G.O. Sixties Panorama date?

Or even a Zenith Defy?

Both lovely watches, and certainly a bit different to the everyday norm?!

Master
    Longine Compressor?

Master
    GS titanium diver, if you can stomach the 14mm thickness.

Speedy is a good choice but how about finding an original 1983 Speedmaster with a long S & R dial?

JLC Polaris. Really nice watch and a bit different.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Obvious choice (probably for a reason) is a speedy, can’t go wrong.

Master
    Cheers folks. I think for a anniversary watch the speedy is and will probably be the one I go for. The others might be better as inbetween watches that I can experiment with and move on if needed.

Journeyman
    Speedy gets my vote too

Craftsman
    I like the first three of your choices and really like the GO SeaQ diver. How about the new Green Seamaster and use the savings on a 40th birthday long weekend away to European city of your choice as well

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmer42 View Post
    I like the first three of your choices and really like the GO SeaQ diver. How about the new Green Seamaster and use the savings on a 40th birthday long weekend away to European city of your choice as well
    I looked at the white dial seamaster a month or so ago and surprisingly it did nothing for me. The bezel action was really poor and cheapened the watch for me. I was left disappointed.

Luckily my wife has said we will be dropping off the nipper with my parents for a weekend to do a trip away too 😊

If you haven't had one before, I'd say Speedie too.
    If you have the means, it is a good itch to scratch.

Master
    I was going to create a post about the exact same topic - it’s my 40th next week! Been told there will be no Rolex so it’s between a GO SeaQ, IWC Big Pilot 43 and a Panerai Luminor.

All three are lovely but I don’t really need another diver, the IWC is overpriced and only the Panerai is REALLY grabbing me. I love it!

I considered a Speedmaster as well, so from your list that’s what I’d go for.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    I was going to create a post about the exact same topic - it’s my 40th next week! Been told there will be no Rolex so it’s between a GO SeaQ, IWC Big Pilot 43 and a Panerai Luminor.

All three are lovely but I don’t really need another diver, the IWC is overpriced and only the Panerai is REALLY grabbing me. I love it!

I considered a Speedmaster as well, so from your list that’s what I’d go for.

I looked at these as well. I will add a panerai at some point. Especially love that one with the white dial. I’m pretty sure I’ll be getting the speedy pro and buying the chronoscope clasp to go with it for tool less micro adjust functionality.

Craftsman
    I think it should definitely be a chronograph.

So a speedie is the obvious choice and easy to get hold of.
    The Zenith is much more interesting horologically, if you can find one in budget.
    Another option to look at is the Tudor Black Bay Chrono - great looking, under budget too.
    Oh, and I have a soft spot for IWC pilot chronos.

Can’t go wrong with any of these - what a lovely problem to have.

TPT

Apprentice
    Zenith Chronomaster all day for me, Chronomaster sport if you can find one under 7K

Master
    I would definitely go Speedy or Zenith out of your list.

Personally I'd also be taking a look at Grand Seiko, but you mention you're not keen so they're out! ]

Please update us with what you get :)

A nice problem to have ...40th birthday watch for next year...decisions decisions

I had a similar dilemma for my 40th and in the end I didn’t choose anything. However my wife gifted me a Speedmaster anyway!

Love it and it’’ll never get sold
    Last edited by goregasm; 3rd April 2022 at 09:16.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tenpasten View Post
    I think it should definitely be a chronograph.

So a speedie is the obvious choice and easy to get hold of.
    The Zenith is much more interesting horologically, if you can find one in budget.
    Another option to look at is the Tudor Black Bay Chrono - great looking, under budget too.
    Oh, and I have a soft spot for IWC pilot chronos.

Can’t go wrong with any of these - what a lovely problem to have.

TPT
    I did consider this but owns the BB41 GMT and found that too big and heavy so the chronograph would be the same.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goregasm View Post
    I had a similar dilemma for my 40th and in the end I didn’t choose anything. However my wife gifted me a Speedmaster anyway!

Love it and it’’ll never get sold
    Congratulations. They are lovely and as you say it needs to be a keeper and the speedy I can see being just that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by al1991 View Post
    I would definitely go Speedy or Zenith out of your list.

Personally I'd also be taking a look at Grand Seiko, but you mention you're not keen so they're out! ]

Please update us with what you get :)
    Will do! It will be a long process as not buying until next year and visiting london this year to try them all on and more. Once on the wrist my decision may well change!

Craftsman
    Another vote for the Speedmaster.

This, even if it requires a very slight flexing of your budget. I love mine (and now have the bracelet too) and will never sell it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    This, even if it requires a very slight flexing of your budget. I love mine (and now have the bracelet too) and will never sell it.

It would be this or the speedy but this is 8.5k used and the speedy is under 6k with anticipated discount new. Also I am not a fan of the pcl on the zenith and the finally I can by the chronoscope tool less adjusting clasp for the speedy.

Journeyman
    I was with my friend last week when he got the Speedy sapphire on leather (his choice, me always bracelet) from the Omega Boutique in Edinburgh.

He got 8.4% discount for cash or card transaction (he paid by card) and we got a few freebies.

Don't know if there are any better deals out there?

Richy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    I was with my friend last week when he got the Speedy sapphire on leather (his choice, me always bracelet) from the Omega Boutique in Edinburgh.

He got 8.4% discount for cash or card transaction (he paid by card) and we got a few freebies.

Don't know if there are any better deals out there?

Richy
    That’s not bad. I’ll go via my AD and see what they can offer.

Craftsman
    I have the PML and find it just amazing . . . .

. . . . . but it is not a "sports" watch.

SeaQ is good, but I'd go for the PanoramaDate version with Kaliber 36.

I admire the Polaris immensely, but it fails to stir my soul (just me personally -- it really is something rather special).

The other options outlined will fit in well with all the others in the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    It would be this or the speedy but this is 8.5k used and the speedy is under 6k with anticipated discount new. Also I am not a fan of the pcl on the zenith and the finally I can by the chronoscope tool less adjusting clasp for the speedy.
    Shame, because this is a better watch by some margin (IMO).

Sounds like you’ve made your mind up OP but just to say that I have the Speedie and added the Polaris last year and the Speedie barely gets worn now! The JLC is stunning and practical and just a lovely thing to wear that still makes me smile a year later!

All the best for your birthday!

IMG_7863.JPG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Shame, because this is a better watch by some margin (IMO).
    If it were in my budget it would be a far more difficult decision.

Craftsman
    Birth year speedmaster would be my choice if you can find a nice example. All the best

Master
    Any updates OP?

Considering my options for 40th present. Wife has suggested she was looking into it… rude not to thoroughly research it.

New options under consideration Panerai 8days manual wind, but I’ve always promised myself a Sinn 356 copper dial.

I do keep coming back to vintage, suits the rest of my modest collection and is something more left field. Couple of Heuers taking eye but also a 60s Rolex precision. Little easier on the wallet as well

A nice distraction for rest of weekend.

Lots of love for the speedy and I get it. It’s top of my list for a reason. Timeless look, great bracelet, versatile, can be dressed up and down, love the new movement and hacking capability, love the new case. !
    At the risk of being ostracised, the Speedy is the last watch I would go for as a 40th birthday present precisely for the reasons you've mentioned. If it was a car it would be an Audi A4. It's very good at everything it does but it's fairly bland. That might be what you want, I don't know but if it were my 40th birthday present it would have the criteria you mention in your OP but have something a little bit different about it. For that reason from your list I would choose either one of the GO's or the JLC. In 20 years time, it would still be a talking point the moment that someone else looked at it rather than being a watch where it's very likely that someone you're talking to might say 'I have one of those'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lippy View Post
    Any updates OP?

Considering my options for 40th present. Wife has suggested she was looking into it… rude not to thoroughly research it.

New options under consideration Panerai 8days manual wind, but I’ve always promised myself a Sinn 356 copper dial.

I do keep coming back to vintage, suits the rest of my modest collection and is something more left field. Couple of Heuers taking eye but also a 60s Rolex precision. Little easier on the wallet as well

A nice distraction for rest of weekend.
    This will be a slow burn as not buying until next year. I have a trip to london in June so will get my hands on all the watches I am looking at and more. I have tried the speedy and really like it. The movement looks superb. I’d also order the chronoscope clasp as it had a tool less micro adjust. I do want to try other watches and take my time.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    At the risk of being ostracised, the Speedy is the last watch I would go for as a 40th birthday present precisely for the reasons you've mentioned. If it was a car it would be an Audi A4. It's very good at everything it does but it's fairly bland. That might be what you want, I don't know but if it were my 40th birthday present it would have the criteria you mention in your OP but have something a little bit different about it. For that reason from your list I would choose either one of the GO's or the JLC. In 20 years time, it would still be a talking point the moment that someone else looked at it rather than being a watch where it's very likely that someone you're talking to might say 'I have one of those'.
    I understand this approach but I look at my omega AT I bought almost 10 years ago for my 30th and it still looks superb. For me I’d rather buy a classic and have more out there watches inbetween that I can move on if I don’t gel gel with them.

I understand this approach but I look at my omega AT I bought almost 10 years ago for my 30th and it still looks superb. For me I’d rather buy a classic and have more out there watches inbetween that I can move on if I don’t gel gel with them.
    it's a fair point and I totally understand it. I wouldn't necessarily 'take a punt' on an obscure watch for a landmark moment, I'd just want it to be more memorable than something I could buy next week, wear daily and effectively forget the moment that I purchased it. Of course you could make the day that you buy your Speedy memorable in which case the choice of the watch itself wouldn't be so critical.

Master
    Small update. While in london today (not for my watch trip to london) my wife suggested going to WOS. I wasn’t going to say no but also didn’t want to take the mick and be in there too long.

- Tried on the GS white birch and while nice is too dressy for me and a 22mm bracelet was at odds with the design and feel of the watch. Didn’t work for me. I did find the clap to be more refined than I was expecting though. Unfortunately there were none of the new GMT watches and the snowflake was not there either.

- The zenith chronomaster original, as I suspected was too small for me. Lovely bit too small.

- The zenith chronosport was a surprise and I was not expecting to see one and didn’t intend to try one on. The chap pulled one out and suggested it based on the watches we were discussing. It was the black dial model and it was a peach. Dimensions were spot on. The dial was awesome. It had a nice taper on the bracelet. It wasn’t too heavy. The display case back displayed the beautiful movement. Still not a fan of PCL. No half links and no tool less micro adjust capability are negatives. Also the clasp had metal keepers on the clasp and not spring loaded ceramic ones like omega. Even my wife liked it. I’d like to see the white dial model.

Some thinking to be done!

I asked the same question on here about 18 months ago and I got some really good suggestions. I talked to my wife about it and she asked a simple question, is it a watch you’re going to keep or sell in a few years? That changed my perspective slightly, was I buying it to mark my 40th or do I want to have it forever? Maybe ask yourself, if you haven’t already, the same question? That may focus the search a little?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk