closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 32 of 32

Thread: All about the Valjoux 7750

  1. #1
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lagoa, Portugal
    Posts
    11,179
    Blog Entries
    20

    Cool All about the Valjoux 7750

    I stumbled across this article that makes an interesting WIS read - grab a beer and 20mins - the history and uses of the humble 7750

    https://quillandpad.com/2018/09/22/v...y-and-numbers/

    Surprising ebauché for multiple brands and styles. Congrats Capt!
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so”. HHGTTG

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I stumbled across this article that makes an interesting WIS read - grab a beer and 20mins - the history and uses of the humble 7750

    https://quillandpad.com/2018/09/22/v...y-and-numbers/

    Surprising ebauché for multiple brands and styles. Congrats Capt!
    For the sake of a newcomer - what does WIS stand for please? It is not a term I have come across before.

  3. #3
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    SE UK
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    For the sake of a newcomer - what does WIS stand for please? It is not a term I have come across before.
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=WIS

  4. #4
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    177
    Great share. Thanks.

  5. #5
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lagoa, Portugal
    Posts
    11,179
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    For the sake of a newcomer - what does WIS stand for please? It is not a term I have come across before.
    colloquial and friendly term meaning watch enthusiast / connoisseur. Welcome to the forum btw. Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 1st April 2022 at 08:02.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so”. HHGTTG

  6. #6
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    20,948
    I have limited experience with the Valjoux 7750, I’ve serviced a few but not enough to be able to assemble one without reference to the manual or photos. They’re robust and reasonably easy to work on, and in my experience they’re capable of excellent timekeeping. When in good health the amplitude is over 290 degrees and positional variation is close to or within COSC spec. They may be ubiquitous but certainly not humble in my view.

    Two things I don’t like: the movement us quite thick so any watch using it will be a bit too chunky for my taste, and I dislike the way the rotor can spin backwards thus producing a wobble.

  7. #7
    Master helidoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    2,809
    I love the 7750 and it’s derivatives. In many ways, you have to wonder if the Swiss watch industry would begin such rude health today if the tooling hadn’t been preserved.

    I sold my only 7750 engined watch recently, and as a WIS I really think I should by another 7750 to take its place.

    D


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Craftsman Ascalon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    253
    It is definitely the workhorse movement of the industry.
    I'd like a 7753 variant, as I've got a flieger style vanilla 7750 already.

  9. #9
    Craftsman Idontgram's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    925
    I’ve had a couple of 7750s and there was something about them that felt very solid.

    However, as [mention]walkerwek1958 [/mention] mentioned, both were quite thick and ultimately, that put me off and I moved them on.

    Trouble is, I do like a mechanical / automatic chrono but at the affordable end (where I do my buying!), there aren’t many other options beyond modulars and a seagull. I’d like to give one of those a shot at some point too.

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I’ve had a couple of 7750s and there was something about them that felt very solid.

    However, as [mention]walkerwek1958 [/mention] mentioned, both were quite thick and ultimately, that put me off and I moved them on.

    Trouble is, I do like a mechanical / automatic chrono but at the affordable end (where I do my buying!), there aren’t many other options beyond modulars and a seagull. I’d like to give one of those a shot at some point too.
    The experience you get with a 7750 is nowhere close to that of a seagul or a modular 28xx base. I have 5 7750s with three of them being tudor big blocks and 792xx and wouldn’t change them


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    349
    Great read.. thanks for sharing..for me the "wobble" adds to the uniqueness of the movement..

  12. #12
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    5,467
    I always found the legibility of the 7750 poor, for the simple reason that the chrono-minute counter is located at 12, and I would often have to be peering round the main minute hand as it swept over the sub-dial.
    Dunno why, it so often seemed I was interested in the first minutes of timing something that started near the top of the hour. I guess a lot of sporting things start on the hour or the half hour (when the same thing happens at 30 minutes in.
    This was especially true for a Damasko I had, but they have really large H and M hands.
    However, the 7753 (I think) where that's been moved to a proper Compax layout position at 3 is much more attractive.

  13. #13
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    730
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    Great read.. thanks for sharing..for me the "wobble" adds to the uniqueness of the movement..
    Yes, I love the wobble too…

  14. #14
    Craftsman aamaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    EK UK
    Posts
    325
    I have always been a fan of the 7750 and its various iterations, and the story of its development and ultimate survival, reinforces its attraction for me. I have 3, Hamilton, Omega & Longines I also have a Sinn housing an SW510 clone.

    In my opinion the 7751 is a gem, with its triple date and moon phase, in addition to its 12 hour chronograph function, it is an entry into serious mechanical watch complications at a relatively modest price point.

    This is the Longines:


    I personally love the iconic wobble, though I have to concede they are rather thick.

    A

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I always found the legibility of the 7750 poor, for the simple reason that the chrono-minute counter is located at 12, and I would often have to be peering round the main minute hand as it swept over the sub-dial.
    Dunno why, it so often seemed I was interested in the first minutes of timing something that started near the top of the hour. I guess a lot of sporting things start on the hour or the half hour (when the same thing happens at 30 minutes in.
    This was especially true for a Damasko I had, but they have really large H and M hands.
    However, the 7753 (I think) where that's been moved to a proper Compax layout position at 3 is much more attractive.
    damasko fixed that with the DC8x series! I guess sinn and Tutima did also…



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Master Grandiloquence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    2,548
    Always try to keep a 7750 in the collection. I like the wobble, part of the charm!

  17. #17
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    13,346
    Two of my favourite watches are 7750 powered so I won't hear a word against them.

    M

    Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  18. #18
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    876
    My very first automatic watch that I had promised myself for many years to get when I was 40.
    Never wear it now but still have it and after a full service a few years ago it remains tucked away.
    A cracking watch and as we all know such a robust workhorse movement.

    Sent from my M2002J9G using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    15,163
    Love the wobble!

    Such a versatile movement.





    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  20. #20
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Plymouth, Devon
    Posts
    260
    My 3 7750's
    As said before, so versatile.

    Sent from my SM-A725F using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Plymouth, Devon
    Posts
    260
    Interested to know what is the most expensive and most economically priced watches with 7750 movement within.

    Sent from my SM-A725F using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    654
    Only the one 7750 in my modest collection.

  23. #23
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,120
    Quote Originally Posted by deepdivedaz View Post
    Interested to know what is the most expensive and most economically priced watches with 7750 movement within.

    Sent from my SM-A725F using Tapatalk
    It’s a good question.
    I would take a guess at a micro brand/Tissot/Certina as the lowest priced and a Hublot /IWC as the most expensive

    https://www.thewatchcompany.com/blog...raph-movement/ A possible indication here

  24. #24

    All about the Valjoux 7750

    Good article, thanks OP. My one and only 7750, love the wobble! I do agree with sweets on this occasion in preferring the 7753 personally.






    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  25. #25
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,120


    I am a fan of the 7750 and it’s derivatives, in some ways it helped the watch industry fight back against the quartz crisis

    It made mechanical chronographs ‘affordable’ again, it helped Panerai expand its offering, it’s been used in some humble and not so humble watches and has even been used in space numerous times.

    Yes it is thick, yes it means watches tend to be 41mm + in diameter but along with the ETA 28xx line of movements it’s hard to think of another movement that has had such an impact on the modern watch business. It’s also not a bad looking movement when given some blued screws and a bit of finishing - the same can’t be said for the 28xx, any Seiko or Miyota

  26. #26
    I love 'em...












  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    4,118
    Blog Entries
    1
    Had a couple of the years and always found them reliable good time keeper but a tad noisy.

  28. #28
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    1,736
    I have to admit this thread made me put this one today which has been sitting in the safety deposit box for over a year…


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  29. #29
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    I have to admit this thread made me put this one today which has been sitting in the safety deposit box for over a year…


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s in great condition,
    They are a lovely watch (would be better without cyclops IMO but It would not put me off).

  30. #30
    Master helidoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    2,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is that a 79170?

    Absolutely beautiful. I always regret no getting one while I could

    Dave


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  31. #31
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Is that a 79170?

    Absolutely beautiful. I always regret no getting one while I could

    Dave


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Indeed 79170. Amazing watches but most of these have been polished and lost the amazing factory chamfers. I was lucky to get this unmolested example 6 years ago before things started going crazy… this and my ezm1 would be the last watches to ever leave the collection


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  32. #32
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    267
    I think I’m right in thinking that my Omega Mk40 has a derivative of the 7750, and it’s been accurate for me. I’ve also grown to kind of like that ratchet sound after the wobble too… it’s quite surprising how much the watch moves around on wobble!


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information