closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: All about the Valjoux 7750

Blog Entries

Cool All about the Valjoux 7750

I stumbled across this article that makes an interesting WIS read - grab a beer and 20mins - the history and uses of the humble 7750

https://quillandpad.com/2018/09/22/v...y-and-numbers/

Surprising ebauché for multiple brands and styles. Congrats Capt!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I stumbled across this article that makes an interesting WIS read - grab a beer and 20mins - the history and uses of the humble 7750

https://quillandpad.com/2018/09/22/v...y-and-numbers/

Surprising ebauché for multiple brands and styles. Congrats Capt!
    For the sake of a newcomer - what does WIS stand for please? It is not a term I have come across before.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    For the sake of a newcomer - what does WIS stand for please? It is not a term I have come across before.
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=WIS

Journeyman
    Great share. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    colloquial and friendly term meaning watch enthusiast / connoisseur. Welcome to the forum btw. Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 1st April 2022 at 08:02.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Grand Master
    I have limited experience with the Valjoux 7750, I’ve serviced a few but not enough to be able to assemble one without reference to the manual or photos. They’re robust and reasonably easy to work on, and in my experience they’re capable of excellent timekeeping. When in good health the amplitude is over 290 degrees and positional variation is close to or within COSC spec. They may be ubiquitous but certainly not humble in my view.

Two things I don’t like: the movement us quite thick so any watch using it will be a bit too chunky for my taste, and I dislike the way the rotor can spin backwards thus producing a wobble.

I love the 7750 and it’s derivatives. In many ways, you have to wonder if the Swiss watch industry would begin such rude health today if the tooling hadn’t been preserved.

I sold my only 7750 engined watch recently, and as a WIS I really think I should by another 7750 to take its place.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is definitely the workhorse movement of the industry.
    I'd like a 7753 variant, as I've got a flieger style vanilla 7750 already.

I’ve had a couple of 7750s and there was something about them that felt very solid.

However, as [mention]walkerwek1958 [/mention] mentioned, both were quite thick and ultimately, that put me off and I moved them on.

Trouble is, I do like a mechanical / automatic chrono but at the affordable end (where I do my buying!), there aren’t many other options beyond modulars and a seagull. I’d like to give one of those a shot at some point too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I’ve had a couple of 7750s and there was something about them that felt very solid.

However, as [mention]walkerwek1958 [/mention] mentioned, both were quite thick and ultimately, that put me off and I moved them on.

Trouble is, I do like a mechanical / automatic chrono but at the affordable end (where I do my buying!), there aren’t many other options beyond modulars and a seagull. I’d like to give one of those a shot at some point too.
    The experience you get with a 7750 is nowhere close to that of a seagul or a modular 28xx base. I have 5 7750s with three of them being tudor big blocks and 792xx and wouldn’t change them

Craftsman
    Great read.. thanks for sharing..for me the "wobble" adds to the uniqueness of the movement..

I always found the legibility of the 7750 poor, for the simple reason that the chrono-minute counter is located at 12, and I would often have to be peering round the main minute hand as it swept over the sub-dial.
    Dunno why, it so often seemed I was interested in the first minutes of timing something that started near the top of the hour. I guess a lot of sporting things start on the hour or the half hour (when the same thing happens at 30 minutes in.
    This was especially true for a Damasko I had, but they have really large H and M hands.
    However, the 7753 (I think) where that's been moved to a proper Compax layout position at 3 is much more attractive.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    Great read.. thanks for sharing..for me the "wobble" adds to the uniqueness of the movement..
    Yes, I love the wobble too…

I have always been a fan of the 7750 and its various iterations, and the story of its development and ultimate survival, reinforces its attraction for me. I have 3, Hamilton, Omega & Longines I also have a Sinn housing an SW510 clone.

In my opinion the 7751 is a gem, with its triple date and moon phase, in addition to its 12 hour chronograph function, it is an entry into serious mechanical watch complications at a relatively modest price point.

This is the Longines:

I personally love the iconic wobble, though I have to concede they are rather thick.

A

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I always found the legibility of the 7750 poor, for the simple reason that the chrono-minute counter is located at 12, and I would often have to be peering round the main minute hand as it swept over the sub-dial.
    Dunno why, it so often seemed I was interested in the first minutes of timing something that started near the top of the hour. I guess a lot of sporting things start on the hour or the half hour (when the same thing happens at 30 minutes in.
    This was especially true for a Damasko I had, but they have really large H and M hands.
    However, the 7753 (I think) where that's been moved to a proper Compax layout position at 3 is much more attractive.
    damasko fixed that with the DC8x series! I guess sinn and Tutima did also…

Always try to keep a 7750 in the collection. I like the wobble, part of the charm!

Two of my favourite watches are 7750 powered so I won't hear a word against them.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    My very first automatic watch that I had promised myself for many years to get when I was 40.
    Never wear it now but still have it and after a full service a few years ago it remains tucked away.
    A cracking watch and as we all know such a robust workhorse movement.

Sent from my M2002J9G using Tapatalk

Love the wobble!

Such a versatile movement.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Craftsman
    My 3 7750's
    As said before, so versatile.

Sent from my SM-A725F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Interested to know what is the most expensive and most economically priced watches with 7750 movement within.

Craftsman
    Only the one 7750 in my modest collection.

Quote Originally Posted by deepdivedaz View Post
    Interested to know what is the most expensive and most economically priced watches with 7750 movement within.

It’s a good question.
    I would take a guess at a micro brand/Tissot/Certina as the lowest priced and a Hublot /IWC as the most expensive

https://www.thewatchcompany.com/blog...raph-movement/ A possible indication here

All about the Valjoux 7750

Good article, thanks OP. My one and only 7750, love the wobble! I do agree with sweets on this occasion in preferring the 7753 personally.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I am a fan of the 7750 and it’s derivatives, in some ways it helped the watch industry fight back against the quartz crisis

It made mechanical chronographs ‘affordable’ again, it helped Panerai expand its offering, it’s been used in some humble and not so humble watches and has even been used in space numerous times.

Yes it is thick, yes it means watches tend to be 41mm + in diameter but along with the ETA 28xx line of movements it’s hard to think of another movement that has had such an impact on the modern watch business. It’s also not a bad looking movement when given some blued screws and a bit of finishing - the same can’t be said for the 28xx, any Seiko or Miyota

I love 'em...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had a couple of the years and always found them reliable good time keeper but a tad noisy.

Master
    I have to admit this thread made me put this one today which has been sitting in the safety deposit box for over a year…

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    I have to admit this thread made me put this one today which has been sitting in the safety deposit box for over a year…

That’s in great condition,
    They are a lovely watch (would be better without cyclops IMO but It would not put me off).

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post

Is that a 79170?

Absolutely beautiful. I always regret no getting one while I could

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Is that a 79170?

Absolutely beautiful. I always regret no getting one while I could

Dave

Indeed 79170. Amazing watches but most of these have been polished and lost the amazing factory chamfers. I was lucky to get this unmolested example 6 years ago before things started going crazy… this and my ezm1 would be the last watches to ever leave the collection

Craftsman
    I think I’m right in thinking that my Omega Mk40 has a derivative of the 7750, and it’s been accurate for me. I’ve also grown to kind of like that ratchet sound after the wobble too… it’s quite surprising how much the watch moves around on wobble!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app