closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Where did all the B&B's go ?

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    S West
    Posts
    784

    Where did all the B&B's go ?

    Trying to find a simple B&B for an overnight stay for work and I cant find one; they've all gone Air BnB which means loadsa money for a bit of farrow and ball
    and cinammon room fragrances.
    Can anyone suggest a way to find a BnB somewhere to sleep for a night without it costing me over a ton ?

  2. #2
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    5,858
    Booking.com and put in the B&B filter.

    Or - google maps and enter B&B in the filter for "Nearby".

    Also local tourist info site.

    You don't say where you are looking for though?

  3. #3
    Where will you be staying?

    I remember travelling to Scarborough in the early '90s - there were roads and roads where every house was a B&B, and all around £13-15 a night. Per person? Per room? I can't remember. But they were cheap. A whole world of candlewick bedspreads.

    Edit - yeah, Google maps. search hotels, sort by price!

  4. #4
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    S West
    Posts
    784
    Suffolk between Ipswich & Lowestoft

  5. #5
    Master jukeboxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,014
    Why does it have to be a B&B? Surely there are reasonably-priced hotels (e.g. Premier Inn)?

  6. #6
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    S West
    Posts
    784
    No Premier Inns, Travelodges or similar in that area

  7. #7
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    4,067
    Ring around the local pubs. They sometimes have a room or two upstairs and usually cheap. I often used to do this when I was contracting away from home.

  8. #8
    Master mr noble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cambs
    Posts
    4,203
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie1 View Post
    No Premier Inns, Travelodges or similar in that area
    What? There are dozens of hotels in that area. Travelodges in both Ipswich and Lowestoft, Premier Inns in Ipswich and countless hotels in all the coastal towns.

  9. #9
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    13,649
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    What? There are dozens of hotels in that area. Travelodges in both Ipswich and Lowestoft, Premier Inns in Ipswich and countless hotels in all the coastal towns.
    Anywhere decent in Lowestoft for a solitary midday work lunch? Going there in the next two weeks for a meeting and am tempted to drive home via Aldeburgh for the fish and chips.

  10. #10
    Master unclealec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    5,327
    Good Beer Guide.
    My go-to for casual accommodation.

  11. #11
    Send a stamped addressed envelope to the local tourist centre, wait 4 weeks and you'll be sent back a badly copied 'accommodation' rag which looks like its been printed with a potato and is barely readable - with all information 5 years out of date. Choose the least intimadating battle axe on the BnB options, after shouting at the deaf old dear down the phone to vaguely confirm that there might be the box room available. If you strike lucky they might let you use hot water in the morning and don't even bother asking for an extra slice of toast at breakfast..

    oh how i miss...nah use booking.com

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    2,796
    Stayed in Ipswich a few times in the last year or so for training courses, each time Iíve regretted saving a couple of quid and should just have booked premier inn.
    I find with air bnb that the quality has always been better than my expectations, but if they donít advertise on any platforms then thereís normally a good reason.

  13. #13
    Grand Master Carlton-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Berlin, London and sometimes Dublin
    Posts
    14,012
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Good Beer Guide.
    My go-to for casual accommodation.
    Gets my vote. I used to travel a bit for work in the UK in the mid 90s and always used this approach rather than staying in fairly unappealing hotels. Better beer and usually a breakfast cooked to order rather than something sitting on a hotplate since 6am.
    Die Zeit verwandelt uns nicht, sie entfaltet uns nur.

  14. #14
    Grand Master GraniteQuarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    27,729
    Just go on Tinder; bed and extras all for nowt.

  15. #15
    Master Maysie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere (UK)
    Posts
    2,224
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Anywhere decent in Lowestoft for a solitary midday work lunch? Going there in the next two weeks for a meeting and am tempted to drive home via Aldeburgh for the fish and chips.
    Lowestoft isn't really known for its culinary hotspots (I am trying to be polite here). All very run of the mill.

    If you can, head to Aldeburgh via an inland diversion to Framlingham and have lunch at The Station Hotel. Its a great 'rough around the edges' proper pub which serves local beers and has a fine menu too - albeit more limited at lunchtime.
    It used to be my local and I miss it dearly.

    It can get busy though, so check before driving out there - and if in doubt - book a table!

  16. #16
    Grand Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    11,124
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Anywhere decent in Lowestoft for a solitary midday work lunch? Going there in the next two weeks for a meeting and am tempted to drive home via Aldeburgh for the fish and chips.
    We stay in Aldeburgh (or just outside) a lot and the fish and chips are fantastic. Either the Golden Galleon or the Aldeburgh Fish & Chip shop. Yum!

    Went to Lowestoft once but not too bothered about going again. It might have changed since, but Liverpool in the 1980s was less run down.

  17. #17
    Master Maysie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere (UK)
    Posts
    2,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Went to Lowestoft once but not too bothered about going again. It might have changed since, but Liverpool in the 1980s was less run down.
    Very much a place where you could spend a week there one evening....

  18. #18
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    13,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Lowestoft isn't really known for its culinary hotspots (I am trying to be polite here). All very run of the mill.

    If you can, head to Aldeburgh via an inland diversion to Framlingham and have lunch at The Station Hotel. Its a great 'rough around the edges' proper pub which serves local beers and has a fine menu too - albeit more limited at lunchtime.
    It used to be my local and I miss it dearly.

    It can get busy though, so check before driving out there - and if in doubt - book a table!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    We stay in Aldeburgh (or just outside) a lot and the fish and chips are fantastic. Either the Golden Galleon or the Aldeburgh Fish & Chip shop. Yum!

    Went to Lowestoft once but not too bothered about going again. It might have changed since, but Liverpool in the 1980s was less run down.
    Thanks, have added The Station Hotel to my Google maps food list, burgers look good.

    We stay in Aldeburgh once or twice a year with friends and always go for the famous fish and chip shop although I've never had the fish -- straight in for the best chicken nuggets I've had in my life.

    I'm in an Audi RS5 for a week which averages a touch under 20mpg at 65mph on the motorway so I'm praying the meeting gets pushed back. Had some fun in it on Sunday which got me 7-8mpg and a migraine from being thrown around.

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    1,277
    When working at Woodbridge we always stayed at the Holiday Inn Ipswich - Orwell, itís usually around £70 per night.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information