closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Original 1982 Precista Automatic on the bay

Original 1982 Precista Automatic on the bay

People on here will be familiar with Eddie’s PRS-82, but I suspect fewer have seen the real deal, an automatic from 1982 which followed the 1980 and 1981 CWC automatic divers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334384807...YAAOSw2n9iRB20

Very few made and issued and a seriously rare watch.

Thought it might be worth highlighting it for those interested.

The pictures are...not of what you'd expect for a 16k watch

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    The pictures are...not of what you'd expect for a 16k watch
    I get what you say, but a case of extreme rarity over beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I get what you say, but a case of extreme rarity over beauty.
    You misunderstand: The pictures have been updated - it was for a plastic-wrapped strange DVD Eternal Edition on the eBay app when I looked!

Now the pictures are proper, and of the watch. Thankfully!
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 30th March 2022 at 22:12.

Grand Master
    I'm definitely in the 'don't get it' corner regarding this one, can`t get my head around it at all. OK, it's rare, I have a 1950 14ct rose gold Omega Seamaster that's rare too, but that doesn`t make them ultra-desirable.

Much prefer one of Eddies plus £16K change. Get one of the later ones with ETA 2824 movement and you really can`t go wrong.......leave the original versions to those who perceive value in them.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I'm definitely in the 'don't get it' corner regarding this one, can`t get my head around it at all. OK, it's rare,
    Like it or not, this watch fits into a long line of RN issued divers following the Omega SM300, the Rolex Milsub, the CWC automatic and if I’m right this was the final RN Automatic diver, which was followed by the CWC 1983 Quartz diver. This makes it an extremely rare watch for collectors who aspire to own an example of all these.

This one appeared to be in better condition:

https://auctions.watchesofknightsbri...c-adc00142fe45

Did a TZ-UK forum member write an article about the history of the original Precista 82?

Master
    Blog Entries
    The eBay one is not as nice as mine.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    The eBay one is not as nice as mine.

That is stunning

Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    This one appeared to be in better condition:

https://auctions.watchesofknightsbri...c-adc00142fe45

Did a TZ-UK forum member write an article about the history of the original Precista 82?
    That was in the last WOK auction, someone must have been having a clear out as there were a full set of Precista listed. I did note that the pricing of the e-bay watch is based on this auction result.

In advance of that WOK auction I did ask the question in a MWR thread about what these watches are worth and didn’t really get an answer. No one could remember one being listed for sale. I think generally when these super rare watches get sold it is usually between collectors off the radar or in an auction setting. You very rarely see them on dealers websites or e-bay being offered to the riffraff. Probably why this listing caught my eye.

Thank you for sharing the eBay auction. I really enjoy seeing examples of these.

I found the article:

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I finally got around to finishing this article off after it having been on the to-do-list for a few months.

https://www.dbaswithguns.com/Imgs/19...9;%20Watch.pdf

Any comments or new information is welcomed.

Terry
    Terry, if you spot this, have you considered adding a notation about the PRS-82 reissue? This might be helpful to readers in 30 or 40 years from now, especially since the reissue retains the Precista brand and (initially) the NOS movements. Eddie Platts and Roland Kemmner certainly deserve the recognition.

Wowsers,

Unicorn shit indeed.
    Rarer than a milSub at 1/20 the price

Rare piece, pretty beat up but I like it.
    Too expensive imo but find another for sale?
    I’ve got one too, mine is not for sale either.
    Yukyukyuk

Journeyman

E

Way too expensive.

Craftsman
    Thank you for sharing the eBay auction. I really enjoy seeing examples of these.

I found the article:

Terry, if you spot this, have you considered adding a notation about the PRS-82 reissue? This might be helpful to readers in 30 or 40 years from now, especially since the reissue retains the Precista brand and (initially) the NOS movements. Eddie Platts and Roland Kemmner certainly deserve the recognition.
    I've no plans to update the 82 Precista article. It's well known and documented elsewhere that Eddie's PRS-82 relates to the original 82. You raise an interesting thought though, what will interest collectors in 30 - 40 years time, there may not be any watchmakers by then so it may not be mechanical watches.

Terry

Um...NFW!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I've no plans to update the 82 Precista article. It's well known and documented elsewhere that Eddie's PRS-82 relates to the original 82. You raise an interesting thought though, what will interest collectors in 30 - 40 years time, there may not be any watchmakers by then so it may not be mechanical watches.

Terry
    I had not considered that deflating possibility. Likely few of us here now will still be alive in 30 years, but I had imagined some of my watches would be passed on and kept in serviceable condition. I know of two watchmakers in my small city, but they work part-time and are retirement age. Finding people with their skills and tools may be impossible for my grandchildren. Still I hope someone will be around who has at least a slight interest in the history and details of watches like the original and reissue Precistas. The information is accessible now, but may not be decades later. Thank you, Terry.

Journeyman
    I had not considered that deflating possibility. Likely few of us here now will still be alive in 30 years, but I had imagined some of my watches would be passed on and kept in serviceable condition. I know of two watchmakers in my small city, but they work part-time and are retirement age. Finding people with their skills and tools may be impossible for my grandchildren. Still I hope someone will be around who has at least a slight interest in the history and details of watches like the original and reissue Precistas. The information is accessible now, but may not be decades later. Thank you, Terry.
    I wonder which of the mechanical versus quartz win out in 30 years!