closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Military Scubapro 500s

Military Scubapro 500s

Afternoon All
    I figured I would start this thread in the lesser visited corner of the forum rather than clog up the Rolex / residuals/ new releases of watches you can’t buy section….

Does anyone have any information on ScubaPro 500s issued to Scandinavian Militaries in the 80s
    I posted about an example I have which has markings that appear to relate to Ramsund naval base on it a few years ago, and this has generated a bit of chat between member DukesKD and I.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...y-ScubaPro-500

If you troll the internet there is very little information out there Just the odd picture or short article
    https://www.craftandtailored.com/pro...o-500-with-box

https://www.watchprosite.com/horolog...89598.8062558/

Both of us would like to establish who used them (Norway and Sweden), the numbers used and where they were purchased from.The Scubapro 500 is a bit of a mystery watch, nobody is sure who made them (I think Nivada rather than Eterna but an happy to be corrected) how many were made and how long they were in production for. (Let alone the single solid gold version).
    So any information would be very welcome.
    Thanks in advance

John
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 30th March 2022 at 17:58.

John, I’m sorry I can’t impart any advice,
    But enjoyed an interesting read.
    Every day’s a school day.
    Thank you

Journeyman

Scubapros

Military-issued Scubapros are definitely, in my opinion, the most interesting of the divers from the 70s and 80s. I think there must have been Scubapro dealership agreements with the militaries of Sweden and Norway. Not sure about Finland or even Denmark unless we uncover something here.

Folks should check out this thread: https://klocksnack.se/threads/tr%C3%...3#post-3181273

There are two types of watches one from Norway's Special Forces Jaegermarines with provenance and another one from Sweden that mentions its a "loaner watch" which I assume indicates some loaning program to special purpose divers as this is a special purpose watch in my opinion.

Journeyman

Military

Here is a pic of a Norwegian commando with a Scubapro:

I cant offer any advice either, except to say I think you might be right with your Nivada hypothesis, the only reason I say this is I have a Nivada dialled shrouded ScubaPro 500, Ive seen a couple of these, but not many at all, the Scubapro dialled ones have a identical dial but for the branding, all other aspects are identical, so there was definitely a tie in there at some point.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I cant offer any advice either, except to say I think you might be right with your Nivada hypothesis, the only reason I say this is I have a Nivada dialled shrouded ScubaPro 500, Ive seen a couple of these, but not many at all, the Scubapro dialled ones have a identical dial but for the branding, all other aspects are identical, so there was definitely a tie in there at some point.
    I need a shrouded ScubaPro in my life
    Great watches
    Finding info on ScubaPros is difficult enough let alone any info on the issued examples.

Having had a look at my example the lugs show no evidence of ever having a bracelet attached (the are the only but not covered in scratches) so it has lived on a rubber strap.
    The case also has a little bit of putting on the lug tops so I am guessing it spent a lot of time in the water, the case still has its radial brushed finish though.
    Lastly at some point in its life someone has place a vinyl sticker over the bezel insert, you can feel the markings under the sticker though
    I should remove it but I don’t know what I might find underneath. I should get it over and done with. I suppose I could always get a new insert 3D printed.

Thread revival!

After 4 years of searching, I finally tracked down a replacement bezel for the ScubaPro
    The original bezel insert has reproduction vinyl sticker overlaying insert for some reason - have never dared to take it off in case the insert was a mess, so set about searching for a replacement
    It turns out they are very rare and bl00dy expensive but at least I have one now.

This is the old bezel and insert
    The case structure of these ScubaPros are interesting
    Similar to the Seiko MM300
    The insert sits in a ring that clips in the bezel ring
    This is held in place by a screw down collar that fits in to the case and also holds the crystal in place.
    There is a gasket that sits between the crystal and collar to ensure water tightness.
    I should have taken some pictures but it was a nightmare to put back together and I am not taking it apart again!

Well done! A rare part indeed, I never knew that about how the insert sits in the bezel, so thanks for that.
    Maybe you can be braver about seeing what’s underneath that sticker now?

Well done! A rare part indeed, I never knew that about how the insert sits in the bezel, so thanks for that.
    Maybe you can be braver about seeing what’s underneath that sticker now?
    Yep will do
    I can feel the indent from the missing lume pip underneath it so hopefully it is just a smashed up bezel that the original owner didn’t like the look of.

As an aside does anyone know what the bezel on the right might be for?
    Dimensions are 42mm across
    32mm internal circumference
    3.3mm thick

This compares to 40mm across on the ScubaPro
    30mm internal
    6mm thickness

I bought it based on looks along thinking it would fit the ScubaPro but it’s obviously a lot larger.
    The bezel ring has the same design but is PVD black.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 10th November 2022 at 19:54.

I’ll check my PVD quartz version, but I don’t think it’s bigger than the SS version. I’ll also check the shrouded one size but I’ve never seen a PVD one.
    Cheers..
    Jase

From my measurements, your PVD one does have the same dimensions as my PVD quartz pictured above, however, the font on the insert is different and mine is a shiny finish whereas yours is matt and grainy like the other SPros I have, so thats inconclusive too. It is similar to the Benthos 500 but that has minute markers all the way round so its not that either.
    Cheers..
    Jase

From my measurements, your PVD one does have the same dimensions as my PVD quartz pictured above, however, the font on the insert is different and mine is a shiny finish whereas yours is matt and grainy like the other SPros I have, so thats inconclusive too. It is similar to the Benthos 500 but that has minute markers all the way round so its not that either.
    Thank you for taking the time to check
    Yep the font is different
    The Benthos is a good lead, I will have a look at those.
    I will ask over at MWR as well just in case someone there knows
    It would be nice to be able to pass it on to someone looking for a replacement part.

Always been aware of these but never really looked into them. Now I've got to find one.

It's been a while since I went hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Always been aware of these but never really looked into them. Now I've got to find one.

It's been a while since I went hunting.
    Don’t… they are a bleedin’ nightmare
    Parts are unobtainable and when you find them the cost is almost painful but it’s worth the trouble to have something so obscure.
    They are such a cool watch.