closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tudor releases

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Black Bay Pro & BB58 side by side.

BB58 looks kind of emasculated in that pic😂

A lot of the pro’s added height seems to come from the protruding case back and the domed crystal, two things which don’t really notice on wrist. Obviously the case is thicker, but not excessively so. I think it looks alright, as long as it doesn’t weigh a ton and wear too top heavy. Can see myself getting one in the future, when they are more readily available.

The case thickness on the Pro looks an awful lot bigger than the 58. It certainly wouldn't be for me given the 39mm diameter.

Tudor releases

Ok some pics as requested
    Tudor 39mm gmt
    Steinhart 39mm gmt
    Rolex 39/40mm gmt

On the face of it all three are similar styling and design when looked at top down. The Rolex extra 1mm not really visible.

Comparing the Steinhart and the Tudor directly - particularly side on to assess the height - you can see the actual height is almost the same but case design is completely different. Both employ the clever tactic of having a bubble back style so that the visual height is only the case side height. The Steinhart looks slimmer here but actually that means it sits higher on the wrist as the back raises the watch more.

Lastly the Tudor next to the Rolex - the Rolex does wear and feel incredibly slim and significantly more so than the Tudor but overall the height is perfectly acceptable to me. 70 hr power reserve, COSC certified then further checked in case to -4/+2 and with micro adjust clasp and true gmt all for 3k makes it another home run for Tudor tbh. Lot for the money.

Couple of niggles. The slightly faux patina of the lume it’s actually suits the watch superbly but the actual lume initial brightness is disappointing - tbh I’ve found that with all faux patina watches so wasn’t a surprise. The micro adjust clasp works really well and is a very welcome extra but the securing flap with the Tudor shield seems unnecessarily sharp edged. In practice it doesn’t affect anything on the wrist but when opening the clasp the sharpness is felt. Is it a keeper? Who knows but I think it complements the polar nicely and easily holds its own.
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 1st April 2022 at 09:07.

Journeyman
    Very useful photos, cheers Rusty. The Rolex is slim but side by side the Tudor dwarfs it, I think I still need to see the Tudor in the flesh to get a feel for how top heavy it is.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Are they both yours? Would be great to see the same again with a BB41 in there.
    Sorry not my watches - buy would also be a good comparison

The slimness of that Polar EXII is incredible

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AP1 View Post
    Very useful photos, cheers Rusty. The Rolex is slim but side by side the Tudor dwarfs it, I think I still need to see the Tudor in the flesh to get a feel for how top heavy it is.
    It’s not top heavy in reality. Feels to me similar on the wrist to a bb58

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    A few more pics for anyone interested. New pro is thicker than exp 2, but better looking imho..

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    Female end links and no cyclops go a long way

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    Female end links and no cyclops go a long way

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Definitely prefer the Tudor to the most recent polar - but prefer the older smaller polar over both

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Definitely prefer the Tudor to the most recent polar - but prefer the older smaller polar over both
    Why, oh why, did I sell my Polars?! I had both the old and new variants!

Great comparison pics Rusty, thanks for taking the time.

Looks like a great watch but wish it had a different style of sapphire. Maybe it needs a bulbous crystal to detract from the thickness? Either way a great watch for £3,080. A touch more than a MM300 discounts aside.

Can’t wait to get one.

Incredibly useful photos and review rusty. Thank you very much for posting.

The 16570 wears so well, there is a noticeable difference to the profile of the “fat-man” transitional 16550 (although I have to say I prefer the bolder font on the bezel).

I have similar tastes, and was interested to see if the BB pro may replace one of the following GMTs:

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Great comparison pics Rusty, thanks for taking the time.

Looks like a great watch but wish it had a different style of sapphire. Maybe it needs a bulbous crystal to detract from the thickness? Either way a great watch for £3,080. A touch more than a MM300 discounts aside.

Can’t wait to get one.
    Crystal is perfect in the flesh tbh. A bulbous one would add height. It does have some softness to it as it is round the rim

Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    Incredibly useful photos and review rusty. Thank you very much for posting.

The 16570 wears so well, there is a noticeable difference to the profile of the “fat-man” transitional 16550 (although I have to say I prefer the bolder font on the bezel).

I have similar tastes, and was interested to see if the BB pro may replace one of the following GMTs:

It would replace the Steinhart definitely. As for the black dial explorer Rolex that would be down to your preference

Great comparison pics thanks for sharing.

Seems mad how they can get a GMT movement into that polar Exp II how ever many years ago it was made and have it as slender as that, yet here we are in 2022 and Tudor who are owned by the same brand are having to use cases nigh on 15mm thick.

Does make you wonder whether there is a deliberate strategy to give people kind of what they want, without going the full 9 yards in order to keep them hankering on for that next better model up the pricing chain. I find particularly with Tudor and Omega it’s always a case of “if only it had this.. or didn’t have that..”.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Great comparison pics thanks for sharing.

Seems mad how they can get a GMT movement into that polar Exp II how ever many years ago it was made and have it as slender as that, yet here we are in 2022 and Tudor who are owned by the same brand are having to use cases nigh on 15mm thick.

Does make you wonder whether there is a deliberate strategy to give people kind of what they want, without going the full 9 yards in order to keep them hankering on for that next better model up the pricing chain. I find particularly with Tudor and Omega it’s always a case of “if only it had this.. or didn’t have that..”.
    I find it strange that brands seem to struggle to make slim watches these days, when they were able to do it perfectly well in the 60s. And not always due to unusually high end movements either - eg Seiko Skyliner, incredibly thin and elegant. Likewise a lot of 60s Omegas. Speedmaster ‘reduced’ is an automatic chronograph and very slim.

It may be due the trend for large watches, they could maintain the proportions just by oversizing it, but increasingly people want more wearable sizes. Maybe the modern movements are more robust, but my ‘60 Seikos are have all worked just fine after > 50 years. Thankfully Omega and GS have been making an effort lately.

It’s a pity as this Tudor is a contender for watch of the show, gorgeous from the front and actually attainable for a change. But I’m not sure I could live with the thickness when compared to the Explorer II.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I find it strange that brands seem to struggle to make slim watches these days, when they were able to do it perfectly well in the 60s. And not always due to unusually high end movements either - eg Seiko Skyliner, incredibly thin and elegant. Likewise a lot of 60s Omegas. Speedmaster ‘reduced’ is an automatic chronograph and very slim.

It may be due the trend for large watches, they could maintain the proportions just by oversizing it, but increasingly people want more wearable sizes. Maybe the modern movements are more robust, but my ‘60 Seikos are have all worked just fine after > 50 years. Thankfully Omega and GS have been making an effort lately.

It’s a pity as this Tudor is a contender for watch of the show, gorgeous from the front and actually attainable for a change. But I’m not sure I could live with the thickness when compared to the Explorer II.
    Agreed; here is a 25 year old diver that is 9mm thick ...

Zenith Rainbow Elite 670 – 1998
    39mm; 9mm thick. Model 02.0473.670

Like the new release, but this pic confirms for me that I'd personally opt for the older BB58 over the BB58 Pro.

Master
    Thanks for the photos Rusty. Surprisingly the steinhart doesn’t look at all out of place among them. Cracking value!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Exactly what I was saying above. I just don’t understand why both Tudor and Swatch struggle to make the movement thinner, unless it’s a case of purposely not giving people what they want unless they buy the top-of-the-range models like the Exp2. ie Choosing to make the mid-range models not quite ideal.

Having said that, I’m happy to compromise because of the price, so I will look to buy whenever I get a chance.

They're clearly out there. Congrats on your incoming.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post
    Thanks for the photos Rusty. Surprisingly the steinhart doesn’t look at all out of place among them. Cracking value!

You could buy it

Cool

Definitely want a new BB Pro. Nothing much to dislike at the price for me.

Out of interest…are the guys that managed to purchase one on ‘VIP’ terms with ADs or did you just enquire and buy? As has been the case since about 2017, around London, without a huge purchase history you won’t even make waiting lists. Admittedly I was just a walk in customer but yesterday at Frasier Hart, I got told that I’d be lucky if they sold me a BB GMT!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Out of interest…are the guys that managed to purchase one on ‘VIP’ terms with ADs or did you just enquire and buy? As has been the case since about 2017, around London, without a huge purchase history you won’t even make waiting lists. Admittedly I was just a walk in customer but yesterday at Frasier Hart, I got told that I’d be lucky if they sold me a BB GMT!
    Ive spent quite a bit with the AD I bought from. Still no closer to a Rolex though. Shrug

Ive spent quite a bit with the AD I bought from. Still no closer to a Rolex though. Shrug
    Ah ok, I guess every purchase helps…one step closer!

Master
    All my spending history is with Fraser Hart. When they dropped Rolex I was a bit gutted as always fancied a GMT master 2 at some stage. That won’t happen now.

Sometimes you have to put the AD rep back in their box a little bit. Any AD who refuses to take a name for a Tudor enquiry deserves to be left behind and forgotten about. These are probably the same ADs who last year were hyping up the BB58 blue, now available in every shop window. Incidentally BB GMT is also a regular feature in AD shop windows these days, so I'd struggle not to burst out laughing if an AD implied I would be lucky to purchase one from them. Jog on would be a fitting response.

Journeyman
    I went and had a look at a Black Bay Pro yesterday and put my name down. I’m 5th in line at the AD (no spend history with them). I think the thickness is fine but only just!

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Sometimes you have to put the AD rep back in their box a little bit. Any AD who refuses to take a name for a Tudor enquiry deserves to be left behind and forgotten about. These are probably the same ADs who last year were hyping up the BB58 blue, now available in every shop window. Incidentally BB GMT is also a regular feature in AD shop windows these days, so I'd struggle not to burst out laughing if an AD implied I would be lucky to purchase one from them. Jog on would be a fitting response.
    Totally agree...nice as the salesperson was, I wouldn't be purchasing from them after they tried it on like that. Had the same patronising experience last year with a BB38. They didn't get my money either!

What was worse is that I walk past that branch of FH regularly and have seen that GMT in the window for months.

I'm not a fan of London High St ADs. Much prefer the more genuine experience at Andrew Michaels which is where my purchase history is!

I’ve been a regular customer for 15 years or so, which helps. I do think these will start to trickle through over the coming months and then become more widely available, a la the BB58/Black Bay GMT etc.

Master
    I find it strange that brands seem to struggle to make slim watches these days,
    I agree, but if we look at it from the other side, why would they even try to make a better watch ?

The market says there is no need.

People stand in line to buy an existing (read: too thick) watch anyway...

Master

new gmt

The new pro looks great, but for me personally I am a big fan of the new GMT.

Master
    I managed to whats app the dealership I use for Tudor in the evening of release and they have put me down on the list.
    I gave them a quick call as unfortunately I am out of the country.

So I am now 5th on the list for a pro as I won’t be around for a couple of months. May give me time to see one in person in the wild during my travels.

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    The new pro looks great, but for me personally I am a big fan of the new GMT.

This GMT is lovely but not on a bracelet, IMO.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    This GMT is lovely but not on a bracelet, IMO.
    Totally agree with this. I wonder if, like previously with the BB58, it’ll be more readily available on the nato and leather strap compared to the bracelet. Certainly my favourite of all the Tudor releases, but I’d still need to see it in the metal before committing to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRockNRoll View Post
    Totally agree with this. I wonder if, like previously with the BB58, it’ll be more readily available on the nato and leather strap compared to the bracelet. Certainly my favourite of all the Tudor releases, but I’d still need to see it in the metal before committing to buy one.
    Problem is, the thick case really gets pushed out on a NATO as none of the case back gets hidden in the wrist. Felt very head heavy to me and would have to be bracelet or leather strap.

While originally cool on the Pro going for a look at one tomorrow but I have thin wrists so will have to try in person.

Craftsman
    Just paid a deposit and going to pick up my BBPro this evening - can't wait!

Just hoping that it's not too thick

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just been to see the new BBP and it’s lovely. The crystal seems improved from previous Tudor maybe there’s an AR improvement??? but on the wrist that thickness really didn’t bother me.

It was on pleather and although I’d always buy on a bracelet I would take that off immediately and put it on a strap.

They didn’t know about the date window issue, so if it’s been resolved on these new models.

I left my details to await a call when a bracelet version arrives in stock...

Hopefully the thickness isn’t something you would notice day to day. That domed crystal might have bumped the numbers up. Dial is gorgeous though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That settles it for me. Too thick. Damn! I really liked the look of it.

Weirdly, I'm warming to the root beer. Must be my age #50onWednesday

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    That settles it for me. Too thick. Damn! I really liked the look of it.
    Agreed the thickness ruins it along with the silly rivet bracelet!

Master
    Would definitely need to try one before making a decision on the thickness. The comparison above is useful, but the BB58 is a thin feeling watch and so this may still feel a normal watch rather than thick on the wrist, as some have alluded to who have tried it. Hope to try it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Agreed the thickness ruins it along with the silly rivet bracelet!
    The stepped bracelet has killed it for me.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post

I tend to agree - out of that lot I would go with the Steinhart! Not least because of the hand sets. Super review Rusty. Very useful.

And now off to pick a decent Steinhart.. I quickly returned one BB I had. I just could not get on with the case profile.

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    The stepped bracelet has killed it for me.
    Comparing it to my BB58, it's no different. The bracelet tapers by stepping the links shorter. The picture makes it look worse than it is...you don't notice it on the wrist.

Master
    Blog Entries
    First BBPro flippers are up at 4300+.

Annoying.

Master
    Went into Goldsmiths and WoS today to have a look at the BB Pro. Both of whom had it listed as in stock on their website... Guess what? Neither did, and nor have they had any in yet. Nice waste of time that was.