closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBQ - Gas or Coal & Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Are you unable to buy the gas itself i.e. swap your empty cannister for a filled one or are you unable to buy a full cannister itself?

I'm currently on the lookout for a 13kg (or there about) Propane cannister/cylinder filled - I don't have a used one to exchange. Any ideas where to start looking?
    Try Gumtree etc, for an empty one.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mijyou; 19th April 2022 at 16:09.

Craftsman
    I got a couple of patio gas spare bottles from the local tip. They had several so I just asked politely and they were happy for me to take them

Quote Originally Posted by jimyu View Post
    I got a couple of patio gas spare bottles from the local tip. They had several so I just asked politely and they were happy for me to take them
    Yeah - I spotted some at my local, will see if I can swag one. Makes it easier to get a fill without running out completely on my current bottle............ and struggling.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Are you unable to buy the gas itself i.e. swap your empty cannister for a filled one or are you unable to buy a full cannister itself?

I'm currently on the lookout for a 13kg (or there about) Propane cannister/cylinder filled - I don't have a used one to exchange. Any ideas where to start looking?
    Yup, you are at the awful first hurdle of trying to get onto the gas platform. Believe with lockdown the bottle manufacturer stopped making them & still affecting the current market.

Where are you based? Another option would be to become regular at your local independent garden centre and plead with them! Did you buy the bbq from a bricks & mortar store, as could plead with them also.

Also speak with your local supplier, some may swap a 5kg empty for a 13kg one. I did in the past after learning how little a 5kg lasts.

I always have 2 x 13kg at home, one on the Weber and one for the Ooni. If one takes a pounding, I will prioritise finishing it, so always got the ability to cook.

I know when you don’t have one, someone having two must suck, but in fairness I have had 2 for the last 15 years, as having ran out mid cook previously, you always want a back up.

Tip is a good shout, also just look in any slips you see about. It might not hold gas or have a seal that works, but you only need it to exchange it for one that is good.

B&M will sell you one without a return. It would be a green 13kg leisure bottle but it’s better than nothing.

Ross

Fyi, Lidl has some great prices on Big K charcoal at the moment. Exact like for like is 50-100% more expensive in Waitrose.

Fill your boots!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Fyi, Lidl has some great prices on Big K charcoal at the moment. Exact like for like is 50-100% more expensive in Waitrose.

Fill your boots!
    Watch out as some Big K is recycled briquettes and ends up with a brown ash. Amusingly they both have the same SKU code.

Only way to tell them apart is the paper seal at the top / bottom. One is brown, the other black but cannot remember which way around.

Fine for grilling but less good for low & slow smoking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested (and pleased) to see so much support for Charcoal BBQing, I thought all the hardcore BBQers would be recommending Gas, but I never think it tastes like proper BBQ food on a Gas BBQ.

I can't really contribute as I have a small charcoal one that we use 2 or 3 times a year, but it always tastes good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Yup, you are at the awful first hurdle of trying to get onto the gas platform. Believe with lockdown the bottle manufacturer stopped making them & still affecting the current market.
    I suspect the same people make medical oxygen cylinders and they switched production to those.

Certainly, there was a reported shortage of Oxygen for diving at the height of the pandemic and I seem to recall some reports of hospitals asking for people to donate cylinders (Not sure if much of that was true, though...)

M
    Last edited by snowman; 20th April 2022 at 17:09.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    That does make a lot of sense to be fair, am guessing a balance between the two and we have the current position.

Not being able to get gas for a new toy must be so annoying.

On the charcoal subject, I am trying some Big K El Cubano Restaurant Grade Charcoal, 15kg Bag Marabu Lumpwood Charcoal for my next cooks.

No idea why I went for it, aside from loving Cuba and it was a similar price to the other restaurant grade ones I usually buy.

Hope it gets delivered with some form of care as small bits are rubbish for my needs.

Craftsman
    B&Q had a cage full of bottles here (Oxfordshire).

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Bit the bullet and ordered this today, the free rotisserie was just too much to resist!

https://abell.co.uk/weber-spirit-ii-..._p32480071.htm
    Quite cheesed off, received an email yesterday to say these aren’t in stock and they don’t know when they are getting more and would I like to consider another BBQ that they do actually have in stock?

When I called them today to discuss this, I was told that the lady dealing with this wasn’t in today but this person had been cc’d into lots of these! I know it’s probably common practice but that will be my money in their account for well over a week before I get my refund back in my account.

Not meant to be a rant, it just gives me the pip!

Master
    Quite cheesed off, received an email yesterday to say these aren’t in stock and they don’t know when they are getting more and would I like to consider another BBQ that they do actually have in stock?

When I called them today to discuss this, I was told that the lady dealing with this wasn’t in today but this person had been cc’d into lots of these! I know it’s probably common practice but that will be my money in their account for well over a week before I get my refund back in my account.

Not meant to be a rant, it just gives me the pip!
    That is annoying.

No idea on price vs your link as out of stock, but these guys are great; https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/categories/...12274~46712274

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is annoying.

No idea on price vs your link as out of stock, but these guys are great; https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/categories/...12274~46712274

Thanks for that. I’m away for a couple of weeks from Sunday, so I’ll see what’s what when I’m back.

Master
    Thanks for that. I’m away for a couple of weeks from Sunday, so I’ll see what’s what when I’m back.
    Enjoy the break. Hard to call whether to order now and request a delayed delivery vs lack of stock.

Not sure when the rotisserie deal ends either. Assume it is for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is annoying.

I did finally order this today from wowbbq. It was the last day for the free rotisserie and I just couldn’t resist.

I’m hoping that I won’t have to wait too long to be able to get that delivered now, I shouldn’t have really procrastinated but I was still quite cheesed off about the first attempted ordering.

Any recommendations for decent essential tools / cleaning kit?

Instant read thermometer if you don't already have one.

Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post

Just been reading a bit on these, MEATER plus seems pretty good for a wireless solution?

Meater is a great one, especially if you said your are getting the rotisserie, no wires to tangle!

Just been reading a bit on these, MEATER plus seems pretty good for a wireless solution?
    I bought one of these, which comes with 6 probes. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You do have to run the braided cable through the oven door seal/BBQ, but it transmits to your phone by wireless.

Knacker one probe - you have five left.

Got a big joint - stick a probe in from each end.

The app is really good and you can monitor the rate of rise etc.

I see it is not avail on Amazon just now, but there will be others built on same design, I am sure £30 should do it

These are good value. Made by ETI the people who make the thermapen. I bought a couple of them for 6 quid, to give to a friend who is just getting into bbq.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373887150...mis&media=COPY

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I bought one of these, which comes with 6 probes. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You do have to run the braided cable through the oven door seal/BBQ, but it transmits to your phone by wireless.

Knacker one probe - you have five left.

Got a big joint - stick a probe in from each end.

The app is really good and you can monitor the rate of rise etc.

I see it is not avail on Amazon just now, but there will be others built on same design, I am sure £30 should do it
    As stated in the post above yours, the braided cable becomes an issue with the rotisserie.
    For clarity I have a single Meater+ and added a cheap 4 probes thermpro because I needed to cook 2 pieces on different heights and didn't want to guesstimate.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    As stated in the post above yours, the braided cable becomes an issue with the rotisserie.
    For clarity I have a single Meater+ and added a cheap 4 probes thermpro because I needed to cook 2 pieces on different heights and didn't want to guesstimate.
    How would you say the cheaper probes compares to the meater?

How would you say the cheaper probes compares to the meater?
    I was pleasantly surprised as they were quite close one from another (within .5ºC)
    Pleasantly because the 4 probes were £20 against the meater+ £100 (when I got it 2 years ago). I use primarily the meater+ because I am used to the App and how I approach their suggested temperature (a few degrees under, depending on meat and cut), and because it saves me from setting the alarms on the thermpro (and stay within hearing distance).
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 11th May 2022 at 15:59. Reason: Correcting the spellchecker!

I was pleasantly surprised as they were quite close one from another (within .5ºC)
    Pleasantly because the 4 probes were £20 against the meater+ £100 (when I got it 2 years ago).
    Good info, thank you

Ah! It would indeed.

Think most of these things use a PT-100 type probe, which should be ultra-accurate.

Master
    A good brush to clean the grills after you have closed the lid & burnt everything off. Very low maintenance.

Master
    I did finally order this today from wowbbq. It was the last day for the free rotisserie and I just couldn’t resist.

I’m hoping that I won’t have to wait too long to be able to get that delivered now, I shouldn’t have really procrastinated but I was still quite cheesed off about the first attempted ordering.
    A good choice. Am still gutted they are doing a rotisserie this year!

Master
    Wireless or is the thermpro wired? Cannot seek to find wireless.

Craftsman
    Whichever BBQ you decide on, get a rotisserie for it. The results from even very simple cooks using a rotisserie are a revelation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post

Thermopen is a tool I use daily, indoor or outdoor. The instant read is great. EBay has some cheaper deals on them if you are not fussed about colour.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post
    Whichever BBQ you decide on, get a rotisserie for it. The results from even very simple cooks using a rotisserie are a revelation.
    Agree, I have one for gas and charcoal and the Meater probe is a good partner. Do most Sunday roasts on it, particularly in the summer

Craftsman
    Amazon have a great price on the Weber veggie tray today... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009IH0I...tag=2347859037

I use mine a lot (bbq'd broccoli based in garlic butter is delicious!)

Asda have some cheap scraper/brushes at £1 each, and also a kind of scourer brush.

The £1 brushes will last about 8-10 bbqs and then just chuck them.

Craftsman
    Amazon have a great price on the Weber veggie tray today... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009IH0I...tag=2347859037

I use mine a lot (bbq'd broccoli based in garlic butter is delicious!)

Ah typical....just after I posted the price jumped from £9 to £18

Master
    Ah typical....just after I posted the price jumped from £9 to £18
    Haha was about to question your great deal. Annoyed I missed it!

Wireless or is the thermpro wired? Cannot seek to find wireless.
    The thermpro are wired.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Asda have some cheap scraper/brushes at £1 each, and also a kind of scourer brush.

The £1 brushes will last about 8-10 bbqs and then just chuck them.
    Careful with the cheap brushes

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/...-brush-bristle

The Weber one is excellent and lasts years

Master
    The thermpro are wired.
    Ah ok thanks. Might look at it to replace an old redi check, but it has been great for a decade!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post

100% agree, although even the ‘premium’ round Weber brush is utterly rubbish and disintegrated after a couple of uses.

The triangle brush however goes on for years.

Master
    Weber charcoal. They are just the best. We’ve had ours about 5 years now and they are brilliant. I hated our previous gas effort. There’s something satisfying about cooking on charcoal that gas simply doesn’t provide.

Highly recommend a starter. It speeds up the starting process significantly, and it also reduces the potential of overloading with charcoal.
    Last edited by neebsta; 11th May 2022 at 18:59.

Master
    100% agree, although even the ‘premium’ round Weber brush is utterly rubbish and disintegrated after a couple of uses.

The triangle brush however goes on for years.
    Yep it’s the triangle brush I have- must be five years old and still excellent

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post

I don't think you are completely safe from any brush with open-ended metal 'bristles' - common sense says you should make sure there are no pieces of metal left stuck to the grating.

A piece of foil rolled into a ball cleans the grates pretty good.

Master
    Blog Entries

BBQ - Gas or Coal & Recommendations

Rub it with half an onion or lemon helps too
    Last edited by Middo; 13th May 2022 at 16:49.

Leave the lid on for 5-10 min to get it really hot then a quick rub over with the wire brush to knock off any burnt bits of old food. The rest is flavour and should be left on.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master
    ETI refurb classic thermapens are available on eBay for £22 delivered. Just had mine arrive as a backup and it is perfect.

ETI refurb classic thermapens are available on eBay for £22 delivered. Just had mine arrive as a backup and it is perfect.
    Glad to hear that, I took a punt and ordered one last night!

Master
    Glad to hear that, I took a punt and ordered one last night!
    Haha, I was relieved too.

The current instructions do not state this, but if you remove the battery cover and slide dipswitch 1 up, it will read in F, which I use for all my cooking.

Can only come from most sites being US centric when I started looking at proper bbq back in the early 2000’s

From this

To this in just 2 hours!! :-/

Rotisserie claimed and ordered, now need to think about what I’m going to cook.

Thanks for all the advice, I’m sure I’ll have the hang of it by the end of summer.