closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Saab 99 Turbo up for sale in the UK

Blog Entries

Saab 99 Turbo up for sale in the UK

First, Caveat Emptor. I don't know the seller, I don't know the car and I have no relation with the seller. But this man https://www.grahamturner.org is selling very handsome cars! (When the red TR3A is the benchmark for his collection, I would say things look good).

Anyway, he announces that he's going to sell a late Saab 99 Turbo. These cars were rare in the days they were new!

He surely knows how to post a teaser!

Master
    The red Saab Caarlsson listed on his site brings back memories. My business partner had one for a few years. I used to occasionally borrow it. It had been “ chipped” to 300 bhp. It was the most brutal accelerating car I had ever driven, and what a sleeper. Everyone thought it was a pipe and slipper 9000!

Steve

Hmmm, I've been thinking about getting a classic car for a while, always had a soft spot for the Saab 900 five door.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I worked for a SAAB dealer back in 1985 when I was just 18

I got to drive a lot of their cars as we offered customers a free pick up & drop off when they were getting serviced. They were amazing to drive so brutally fast and yet felt so secure

Best memory was when I had only been there 3 days when (as the youngster) I was asked to run the Directors White 911 16v Turbo down to the local garage and through the car wash I wizzed down there thinking I was all that and a bag of chips!
    Stupidly switched the radio on as the car wash started and the electric aerial came up. Suffice to say I arrived back at the service centre with the remains of the aerial mast dangling over the back wing!
    Didn't go down too well with the boss

We also moved around the part exchanged cars and some of them were pretty cool too (Porsche 911, MK1 Golf GTI, Volvo T50)

Didn't realise how lucky I was until I left and had to work hard at a 'proper' job

John

Nice teaser Menno

On the 99 Turbo thing.....I passed my test way back in '84 in a Cinnabar Red 99 turbo saloon with gold minilite wheels in lieu of the Inca wheels as shown above.
    Fantastic car to drive at 17 yr old which I drove at least 3 times a week 'til I got my got my own transport.

EDIT to say I actually met Eric Carlsson and was whizzed round Silverstone in his SAAB for about 3 laps. Looking over his shoulder talking to the car occupants whilst one handedly driving that car on the limit of adhesion without a flinch of his massive persona.

One of the other guys on this SAAB arranged track day said to Eric (thinking Swedish no doubt)...
    "Oh yeah, I have a Volvo Eric" to which Eric replied "Lovely car.......if you don't like to drive" and roared with laughter !!
    Last edited by reggie747; 22nd December 2022 at 10:20.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Nice teaser Menno

On the 99 Turbo thing.....I passed my test way back in '84 in a Cinnabar Red 99 turbo saloon with gold minilite wheels in lieu of the Inca wheels as shown above.
    Fantastic car to drive at 17 yr old which I drove at least 3 times a week 'til I got my got my own transport.

EDIT to say I actually met Eric Carlsson and was whizzed round Silverstone in his SAAB for about 3 laps. Looking over his shoulder talking to the car occupants whilst one handedly driving that car on the limit of adhesion without a flinch of his massive persona.

One of the other guys on this SAAB arranged track day said to Eric (thinking Swedish no doubt)...
    "Oh yeah, I have a Volvo Eric" to which Eric replied "Lovely car.......if you don't like to drive" and roared with laughter !!
    It's not 'my' teaser of course!

Like you I met Carlsson somewhere in the late 80s, early 90s in a town called Zwolle, 25 kms from where I live now. There's a Scania factory there and they have their own test track. Imagine, the factory on one side of the test track, the Saab dealer on the opposite side! No kidding! Carlsson took us around the test track with a 9000. That was something special!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I nearly bought one of these on early 2003 when I moved to Edinburgh. Turned it down as it was slightly tatty and I thought the owner was asking £200 too much..

Master
    I had a very highly tuned '93 9000 CSE, and I didn't discover it until I had the turbo replaced by Two Stroke to Turbo some months after purchase (I bought it with a failed turbo). It accelerated so hard that it made my other half burst into tears the first time I demonstrated it. LOL!

Also a friend of mine worked for Lotus. He told me once that a test driver was out on the track in an Esprit twin turbo, and had a warning over the pit radio that another car had entered the track.

After three laps he thought 'I haven't seen another car out here'. A few moments later, whilst he was flat out on the straight, a Saab 9-5 Aero came tearing past him!

As my mate said; "some serious trick under the bonnet".

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    … It accelerated so hard that it made my other half burst into tears the first time I demonstrated it. LOL!
    … :
    Ha ha ha!!! I actually laughed aloud at that.
    I nearly had my Mrs in the same place with my Impreza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Great isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Anyway, he announces that he's going to sell a late Saab 99 Turbo. These cars were rare in the days they were new!

He surely knows how to post a teaser!

Didn't know they were rare, I think we had 3 at the same time once, all different colours, black, red and white. Absolutely amazing beasts, sit 5 people comfortably, you felt 100% safe in them and when the turbo kicked in you felt like you were going to take off.

Wish we still had one but after they all died at the 220,000+ mark we went onto 900 turbos, 900 carlssons (sp?) and then 9000 carlssons, then 93s. I miss them so much.

Craftsman
    Always wanted a turbo. Very happy with mine. No longer with me. Late 80s. Bought for 1750 and sold for same 3 years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eldrich View Post
    Didn't know they were rare, I think we had 3 at the same time once, all different colours, black, red and white. Absolutely amazing beasts, sit 5 people comfortably, you felt 100% safe in them and when the turbo kicked in you felt like you were going to take off.

Wish we still had one but after they all died at the 220,000+ mark we went onto 900 turbos, 900 carlssons (sp?) and then 9000 carlssons, then 93s. I miss them so much.
    Did you own a bright red or Bourdeaux red? The bright reds were UK market only! In the grand total of the produced 99 Turbos: very rare!