closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Prices

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

Turkey Prices

What with the Avian Flu issue with Turkey stocks in the East, what are you paying for your Christmas Turkey.

I’ve bagged a cheap and nasty frozen thing from Aldi’s for £15.

Not sure I would want to cough-up the £147.50 Morrisons want:

B

Large free range chicken for us.

Can’t be doing with dry tasteless turkey, no matter what tradition says.

The local farm shop are selling fresh turkeys at around £7.50/lb which is similar to the photo.

SWMBO said no so I bought a frozen one got £30

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

Are you cooking it right? We get a crown and cook it upside down. Makes a whole lot of difference

With you on that. Large chicken and a pork joint for us. I’ve never really liked Turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Are you cooking it right? We get a crown and cook it upside down. Makes a whole lot of difference
    Crown is the worst. Mostly white meat of the turkey is tasteless IMO. Don’t know how turning it upside down helps and there is no grey fattier meat on a crown to baste it.

Even with chicken I prefer the thigh. That is where the taste is.

Master
    Pheasant for us this year, with pigeon breast for starters. Yum !!
    Just going to tell my lads that it’s turkey otherwise they will moan for the sake of it.
    Last edited by gorrie; 21st December 2022 at 19:13.

Master
    Got a beef rib, Turkey crown and a duck on order. Won't eat all at once but will use them over the holiday. There will be sprouts and pancetta as well

Jeeeezus! £150-ish for a turkey!!!

I usually get a big rib of beef for £120 from Costco (albeit last was 2yrs ago) - but that was enough to feed as much or more than a Turkey!

Turkey is a difficult one to get right, needs a lot of monitoring and sympathetic shielding with foils. When we did do ‘bird’ at christmas - a Capon was the choice or mostly GOOSE lends itself to a more powerful red wine.

Turkey crowns are the smart purchase nowadays, I think - easier to cook well, takes up part of the oven rather than the whole oven and is generally more appealing to the invitees for dinner (and easier for the cook!)

[edit] Capon has been bought in the past - but I favour goose for the combo of meat and wine
    Last edited by blackal; 21st December 2022 at 19:46.

Master
    5 rib of beef, and a capon (or whatever the politically correct term / equivalent is now)

I want to cook turkey again. I’m in the minority who enjoy it cooked well. I just don’t get much practice.

Prices of everything are daft currently. Was amazed at the price of lamb mince recently.

Master
    Also excited with all the left overs to make some amazing stocks to add to the depleting freezer.

No turkey for us for the first time this year. Can’t be bothered with the stress to get it right and even then I’m not that keen. Chicken and salmon for us

Missus bough a fresh 7kg one which feeds 15-17 from Sainsburys today for £27. Over the past few years weve had the M&S crown which hasn't been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Missus bough a fresh 7kg one which feeds 15-17 from Sainsburys today for £27. Over the past few years weve had the M&S crown which hasn't been great.

Seems an incredible yield from 7kg, but if you get that- well done!

£30 for a frozen Norfolk Black free-range from Sainsbury's.

I got spooked when there were no turkeys of any description in the store last week, save a very few frozen ones mostly way too big for the two of us, so I grabbed the only one small enough. All the talk of shortages, Avian 'flu, I thought there may not be any around.

This week you can't move for them in the store. I could have bought a smaller fresh one, albeit a bit more expensive. never mind, the only difference is that I will have to make my Turkey Ham &Mushroom pie on Boxing Day due to the refreezing protocols.

I wouldn't want to be without my turkey on Christmas Day, and my love for the thighs and wings rules out a crown.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Crown is the worst. Mostly white meat of the turkey is tasteless IMO. Don’t know how turning it upside down helps and there is no grey fattier meat on a crown to baste it.

Even with chicken I prefer the thigh. That is where the taste is.
    I'm with ya there. Love the thigh and leg. Only really eat turkey at crimbo. I didn't like turkey much either but after cooking it upside down it keeps it very moist and tasty.

This! So many other meats available, no idea what all the fuss is about with turkey!

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    This! So many other meats available, no idea what all the fuss is about with turkey!

Well………. It is traditional but also can still be a pretty cheap way of feeding a big family for one day or even two.

Master
    For the last few years we have got a free range turkey from a farm about 30 miles away, and it has always been excellent -tasty and not dry at all. It comes with detailed instructions on how to cook, a pop-up thermometer to tell when it’s done and a recipe booklet for the leftovers. It works out about £60 for a 4kg bird which is plenty big enough for us.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    What the packing says, I'm guessing they wont be portions id be dishing up!

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    What the packing says, I'm guessing they wont be portions id be dishing up!

Ah - that’s more like it!

Are you in marketing perhaps?

Ah - that’s more like it!

Are you in marketing perhaps?
    No chance.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    With you on that. Large chicken and a pork joint for us. I’ve never really liked Turkey.

Same for me too

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    I'm with ya there. Love the thigh and leg. Only really eat turkey at crimbo. I didn't like turkey much either but after cooking it upside down it keeps it very moist and tasty.
    Agreed
    Cooking it upside down makes a difference.
    Also stuff butter right round under the skin.
    We have Turkey,leg of lamb, gammon joint slow cooked with cloves and treacle and lastly salmon en croute.
    Boxing day leftovers are the best meal of the year.

We have a Pipers Farm “Simplest Turkey” (rolled breast and leg, stuffed and with pigs in blankets and stock to make the gravy). 3.6k total weight for £106. No messing around, easy to cook and serve.

Also gone for a grass fed 1.5k sirloin for the day after Boxing Day and a saddle fillet of venison for New Year’s Eve.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    £30 for a frozen Norfolk Black free-range from Sainsbury's.

I got spooked when there were no turkeys of any description in the store last week, save a very few frozen ones mostly way too big for the two of us, so I grabbed the only one small enough. All the talk of shortages, Avian 'flu, I thought there may not be any around.

This week you can't move for them in the store. I could have bought a smaller fresh one, albeit a bit more expensive. never mind, the only difference is that I will have to make my Turkey Ham &Mushroom pie on Boxing Day due to the refreezing protocols.

I wouldn't want to be without my turkey on Christmas Day, and my love for the thighs and wings rules out a crown.
    I’m intrigued by the refreezing protocol you mention. Do you usually carve off a portion of raw turkey and freeze it for use later?

If something is frozen (raw) and you cook it, you can then freeze what has been cooked & use it later.

I’m unable to work out how it being previously frozen changes your plans. Unless you carve some raw meat off as my first post - which is slightly strange.

Ours says feeds 18 from 8.5kg. Only 3 of us though so should be enough.

Master
    Squirrel for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I’m intrigued by the refreezing protocol you mention. Do you usually carve off a portion of raw turkey and freeze it for use later?

If something is frozen (raw) and you cook it, you can then freeze what has been cooked & use it later.

I’m unable to work out how it being previously frozen changes your plans. Unless you carve some raw meat off as my first post - which is slightly strange.
    The way I see it is that I defrost the bird, cook it on the big day, eat 25th & 26th, then for the freezer, carve thin slices for sandwiches and salads later in the year.

With a fresh bird, I would cube the bulk of the remainder and freeze it for making pies later in the year. The pies, when made, would be eligible for portioning and freezing, making a total of twice-frozen at the point of defrosting and consuming.

With the frozen one, I will have to make the pies on Boxing Day, then freeze the pies, otherwise I would be reheating frozen turkey a total of three times (if I did the same as I do with fresh birds) which I am told equals instant death. No biggie other than it destroys my hopes of being Slumpmaster General on Boxing Day.
    Last edited by unclealec; 21st December 2022 at 20:51.

Turkey crown is very good for portion assurance/control.

Or those ones packed from breast/thigh/leg meat.

Still reckon Goose with something like a bottle of Penfolds RWT - is the best (of the flying meals)

The way I see it is that I defrost the bird, cook it on the big day, eat 25th & 26th, then cfor the freezer, carve thin slices for sandwiches and salads later in the year.

With a fresh bird, I would cube the bulk of the remainder and freeze it for making pies later in the year. The pies, when made, would be eligible for portioning and freezing, making a total of twice-frozen at the point of defrosting and consuming.

With the frozen one, I will have to make the pies on Boxing Day, then freeze the pies, otherwise I would be reheating frozen turkey a total of three times (if I did the same as I do with fresh birds) which I am told equals instant death. No biggie other than it destroys my hopes of being Slumpmaster General on Boxing Day.
    Once your fresh or frozen bird is cooked they are effectively the same. I wouldn't treat the one bought frozen differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Once your fresh or frozen bird is cooked they are effectively the same. I wouldn't treat the one bought frozen differently.
    Well. yes, I would agree.

But AuntieAlec is adamant that if I try to feed her with thrice-frozen turkey ( totalled from it hatching, through any cooking process, to being eaten) she will report me for attempted murder.

I do need her on side on this; I do make quite a lot of turkey& ham pie.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Squirrel for us.
    Same here with sage and cat stuffing.

Journeyman
    Lamb shanks for us this year. Not great fans of Turkey, so decided on a change and get something we actually want to eat.

Craftsman
    The OPs photo must be a beast of a bird though. “Feeds 8-12”

Sous Vide crown here, finished in the oven.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

£150 for a turkey.wow.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Well. yes, I would agree.

But AuntieAlec is adamant that if I try to feed her with thrice-frozen turkey ( totalled from it hatching, through any cooking process, to being eaten) she will report me for attempted murder.

I do need her on side on this; I do make quite a lot of turkey& ham pie.
    That is what I thought you might type, and is very common thinking.

KS has it completely correct in his reply, but appreciate you needing to keep her onside....or lie!

Studied food at uni for 4 years, so tell her to give me a call for science if she needs it :D

for those not wanting to pay the 150 quid you can make a faux turkey with sawdust and woodglue - you just need to shape it.
    capon is much better imo.

Lidl bronze for us, brined for 24 hours and not over cooked, tasty and succulent every time.

Ross

I had Xmas dinner last weekend. Turkey and all the trimmings. Kelly bronze, 6.5kg.

Gorgeous when cooked right:

Stuff some butter under the skin, stuff, cover in bacon, then foil.

Cook in the oven until the internal temp is 75C. Rest for 45 minutes. Cooking to temperature rather than time is a lot shorter than the traditional 20 minute per lb or 40 minutes per kg. No wonder people dislike it when it's been nuked for an extra 1.5 hours unnecessarily.

Master
    We get our orgasmic Turkey from Riverford. They deliver so no queues. Cost just over £100 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    We get our orgasmic Turkey from Riverford. They deliver so no queues. Cost just over £100 I believe.
    Orgasmic ? Did you collect it or did it cum to you ? 🤔😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I had Xmas dinner last weekend. Turkey and all the trimmings. Kelly bronze, 6.5kg.

Gorgeous when cooked right:

Stuff some butter under the skin, stuff, cover in bacon, then foil.

Cook in the oven until the internal temp is 75C. Rest for 45 minutes. Cooking to temperature rather than time is a lot shorter than the traditional 20 minute per lb or 40 minutes per kg. No wonder people dislike it when it's been nuked for an extra 1.5 hours unnecessarily.
    Exactly. The old school cooking to time is the problem for most foods that are deemed dry. The downside is you are never really sure when to start the spuds!

Craftsman

Good things come to those that wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Don’t eat Turkey anymore, used to do some IT work in a Turkey factory on the chick way cutting line. They killed, plucked, froze and packed 47,000 birds a day. The place was not for the faint hearted but they would sharpen your kitchen knifes to like a razor. One of only 2 places i would take a puke bucket in the back of my car. Beef for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post

Well done. I am sure it will taste even nicer.

A trip to M&S at 5.30pm on Christmas Eve is worth it.

We live across the road from one of those local convenience supermarkets and they always reduced the food by 70-80% around 7pm.

I sometimes drop in and you see a couple of people stood back eyeing the bargains but feeling a bit ashamed of being too obvious.

I just push my way through them and rummage for the good stuff with no shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post

30% off? There's more like 70% off - no wings, no legs, no neck.......

No more turkey for us, gertie and I preped it last night and today it's about as edible as hot cardboard,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Same here with sage and cat stuffing.
    Cooked over a candle I presume?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.