closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A question for any owners

A question for any owners

Is there any actual build quality difference between say the Piaget Polo, Aquanaut, Royal Oak, Alpine Eagle? I have read that the bracelet on the Polo is a bit average but then the Aquanaut comes on basically a tropic strap. I have not seen the Alpine Eagle first hand but the bracelet looks the better. Most people will say the Royal Oak has the best bracelet of them all. I know the Overseas has had a considerable upgrade because a few years ago they couldnt give the things away so my question is for anyone who has owned or still owns any of the above and is brave enough to give an honest opinion, is there any real difference in quality?

I can only comment on three of them. I’ve owned a Royal Oak, Aquanaut and handled a Piaget. Maybe an unpopular opinion but I’d rank them AP, Piaget, Patek. The Royal Oak is a tremendous watch with outstanding finishing and feels more substantial than it’s size. The Piaget is not far off but has a few sharp edges which could do with a bit more polishing. The Aquanaut is a watch that I tried to love but I ended up agreeing with the popular opinion before it became a must have piece that it’s not a real Patek. It tries to look sporty but is too light and the finishing is only on a par with a mid-market brand. I had both the strap and bracelet for mine and the bracelet was nothing better than you would find on a Seiko, and not even a Grand one! Traded mine for a complicated Patek and you can really see the difference in quality.

Apprentice
    I really wanted to buy a Polo S, so tried one on, felt lovely, super slim too.

Then went away to do some homework, and found a handful of QC issues, datewheel not lining up, water getting inside, steaming up, crown loose.

Just seemed like more problems than I would accept for such a small volume watch.

It put me off in the end

I've not owned a Piaget but I've owned the AP RO previously version (41mm), 2 Aquanauts (1 on bracelet, 1 on rubber) and I've handled the Alpine Eagle.

The 5167 is by some distance the 'worst' watch if that makes sense. If you have the bracelet version it feels flimsy and on rubber the clasp is very old fashioned and has to be pulled apart. The watch doesn't hack either. But it's a Patek innit so it costs a squillion quid on the grey market.

The AP is nice but left me a bit cold. I didn't like the date window placement on the one I had but the latest version has sorted it. The bracelet is nice but don't believe the hype that it is the best - I had a bracelet on a £5k Minase Divido that was better.

The Alpine Eagle I think is super high quality and I've been toying with getting one. Depends on what you want - snobs will say 'Poor man's Royal Oak' but I like the design DNA and you can actually go in to a Chopard boutique and, you know, buy one.

In that price bracket look at the GP Laureato also. Now that's a superb watch.

There is a watch company whose latest more upmarket editions beats all of these when it comes to dial and case finishing however the mere mention of the name has the Brand Police coughing into their brandies and calling for birching but you'll figure out the one.

Why do you ask? You thinking of buying?

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Why do you ask? You thinking of buying?
    Short answer, yes.

I am thinking of 2 big purchases in the next few years one I am pretty set on being the Breguet Classique and the other I am unsure of. I had a chance of getting an Aquanaut ironically a few years back before the madness kicked in I actually thought it was a decent watch but didnt have the opportunity to have a decent look (Hence the question) Piaget ticked a few boxes and to be honest, the bracelet thing doesnt bother me as I dont wear any watch on a bracelet if I can help it.

Ryan, the GP was always my first choice out of the pack because in a weird way it would be a bit of a "birth year" watch (Came out in 1975) But I was just curious is there any real difference in quality between these watches that may convince me to take one over the other.

Regarding GS, I was thinking of getting a HW Grand Seiko this year but think I will get an independent instead.

The comments below about the Polo dont fill me with much confidence though!
    Last edited by robert75; 20th February 2022 at 22:13.

Master
    Have you considered the Bvlgari Octo Finissimo? Lovely micro rotor movement and fantastic looks. Not handled one personally but certainly on my ‘one day’ list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Have you considered the Bvlgari Octo Finissimo? Lovely micro rotor movement and fantastic looks. Not handled one personally but certainly on my ‘one day’ list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes but not had a chance to see one its a bit of an unknown, on my next trip abroad I would like to try one out.

Blog Entries
    OP - I’ll have to give your question some consideration. I have owned a 5167A and a VC Overseas and briefly an AP ROO diver.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Is there any actual build quality difference between say the Piaget Polo, Aquanaut, Royal Oak, Alpine Eagle? I have read that the bracelet on the Polo is a bit average but then the Aquanaut comes on basically a tropic strap. I have not seen the Alpine Eagle first hand but the bracelet looks the better. Most people will say the Royal Oak has the best bracelet of them all. I know the Overseas has had a considerable upgrade because a few years ago they couldnt give the things away so my question is for anyone who has owned or still owns any of the above and is brave enough to give an honest opinion, is there any real difference in quality?
    As mentioned in another post, try out the GP Laureato with blue dial. Cannot recommend highly enough, but prices have rocketed over the past number of weeks. I understand they are now on waiting lists with AD's, but could be all just hype.

Quote Originally Posted by kostal2093 View Post
    As mentioned in another post, try out the GP Laureato with blue dial. Cannot recommend highly enough, but prices have rocketed over the past number of weeks. I understand they are now on waiting lists with AD's, but could be all just hype.
    Integrated bracelet a bit of a concern, how comfortable is it, is there a micro adjustment?