closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home energy/electric storage again

Home energy/electric storage again

Its fair to say I'm a high energy user, by that i mean i live in a modern house with electric heating which is far from cheap to run or efficient. Even at todays prices running my 14.4kw boiler can cost around £3.00 an hour to run. For some perspective my Jan electric bill was just over £300 which does include cooking (also elec) lighting etc. Solar panels were already installed on the house new when i moved in so i do have that benefit albeit very small one over the winter months.
    The bulk of my energy is used, i guess like most people between 6:30-8:00am and 4:30-7.00pm.
    I only have a 2.5kw solar panels and looking back over my generation im amassed around 6600kw over the time they’ve been installed…the only current benefit i have from this is that i get to use the energy during the day as unfortunately i missed out on feed in tariffs by a few months.
    I generated about 15kw yesterday and only about 5kw today and id say that todays generation was probably typical of a normal day down in sunny Wiltshire.
    I’m due to get a plug in hybrid in Sept/October and my charger will integrate with the solar system, this will only be at weekends mind as the car will normally not be there during the week. I’m looking at a iboost for the immersion but as yet not done so as I'm now beginning to think about battery storage again as an option but i just cant get the figures to work. I read everywhere that its a great thing to do…saves you money but i need convincing.

Id get around 180 days a year where id successfully get the battery charged, i know this is just a finger in the air estimate but clearly between March and September will be our best days, anything outside of that is a bonus but not guaranteed.
    Using the new tariff prices in April, 5kw of power will soon cost me 1.43, I've used 5kw as thats the storage i’m looking at, if we assumed that i can maintain the level of storage via the panels over the 6 months id only be saving roughly £257 a year, at 4-5k installation fee id be looking at getting my money back in 20 years time.

I have the advantage of already having the panels, i could add more and easily get a 4kw system but then the prices would shoot up as id naturally be looking at perhaps an 8kw storage package.
    To the guys that have these…..are they really worth it, whats the real life savings, what do you put back in to the battery and given what you know now would you still have them installed.
    FFF
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 27th March 2022 at 16:07.

Craftsman
    I am looking into doing the same, so no real world advice to offer on running. One thing I was struggling to come to terms with was the battery storage life span of about 10 years, so that makes the ROI not add up?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    this might be of interest

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    this might be of interest

Literally just finished that and he lost me at 5:35

Hi,

I looked into this and spoke we some local installers.

I have a solar system installed and considered a battery storage.
    The issue is especially here is that you have to consider if you are generating enough excess for anything to reach the batteries.

In my case though i can gen upto 15kwh a day (on a good day) - its not enough if I use 20kwh a day for the batteries to get a charge.

Now if you are always out and your usage during the day during your solar gen hours is negligible then it might be worth doing for powering your usage in the evening.

You need to look at your generation numbers and actual usage to see if its worth spending on.

Cheers

matt

Can't really help with the storage as I've not looked into it myself, but would echo noidea's comments about battery lifetime and ensuring you factor that into the cost of ownership thing.

Was going to say though that getting 15kW out of a 2.5kW system yesterday was pretty impressive so they must be working well.

I've got 2 systems; 4kW with pretty much perfect alignment in Gloucestershire which gave 21.17kW yesterday

And 3.8kW just down the road from you in Wiltshire, less idea twin inverter set up which gave 19.89kW yesterday

Whilst neither has battery storage, I do have the Wiltshire one installed with a big hot water tank with immersion heater linked in with a Solar iBoost https://www.heatershop.co.uk/solar-i...ion-controller which syphons off any excess power rather than it go back to the grid (until the tank is fully up to temp of course). Free hot water pretty much all summer, reduced bills spring and autumn and it does what it can in winter. If you have an immersion heater, it's a relatively cheap way to drop the bills a bit

With regards to the video - he is just talking about charging the batteries when the tariff is on a cheaper price during the night (like octopus go).

Of course how long those type of tariffs survive currently who knows - and whether they may try and enforce you having to prove you own a ev to get on them.

I also assume the batteries still cost a few thousand to buy in the first place ?

Cheers

matt

Mine is actually just under 2.5kw, 8 x 300s on the roof, its still generating 1200w now at 5.20. Was a good solid long bright day yesterday and the actual figure according t the inverter was 15.8.

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    With regards to the video - he is just talking about charging the batteries when the tariff is on a cheaper price during the night (like octopus go).

Of course how long those type of tariffs survive currently who knows - and whether they may try and enforce you having to prove you own a ev to get on them.
    Octopus Go is quite significant discount, but there are still schemes equivalent to good old Economy 7 giving cheaper rates through the night.

I’m not sure I can properly answer your question but happy to share my experience.

First off, I think when you say “generated 15kW” you actually mean kWh - kW measures rate of use; kWh measures actual energy generated or consumed.

For comparison I have a 4.3 kW solar system and a 7.2 kWh battery. My average daily consumption is 8 kWh so the battery is just about enough to see me through a dull day.

After a year in situ on average my system is generating almost exactly 8 kWh per day (in fact a little more) so spot on to my consumption but as you say the big issue is you generate in daylight and generally use electricity when it’s dark! The battery definitely allows for much more effective use of the power you generate.

The winter just gone was very poor, with low generation in Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb but the last two weeks have been amazing, averaging well over 15 kWh each day.

Cost of our battery was c. £4K for 3 x 2.4 kWh units, expandable to up to eight units. My reason for installing in the first place was not financial so I haven’t tracked the cost benefit exactly but I am fairly confident it was a good decision. I don’t worry about the payback period but I do enjoy the much smaller electricity bills!

Edited to add today, which (in contrast to the last two weeks) has been generally rather dull the system has generated 4.5 kWh so far of which 3.5 kWh went to the battery.
    Last edited by tertius; 27th March 2022 at 17:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Mine is actually just under 2.5kw, 8 x 300s on the roof, its still generating 1200w now at 5.20. Was a good solid long bright day yesterday and the actual figure according t the inverter was 15.8.
    That's very good

Are the panels running in series or parallel?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    That's very good

Are the panels running in series or parallel?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    I’m not sure I can properly answer your question but happy to share my experience.

First off, I think when you say “generated 15kW” you actually mean kWh - kW measures rate of use; kWh measures actual energy generated or consumed.

For comparison I have a 4.3 kW solar system and a 7.2 kWh battery. My average daily consumption is 8 kWh so the battery is just about enough to see me through a dull day.

After a year in situ on average my system is generating almost exactly 8 kWh per day (in fact a little more) so spot on to my consumption but as you say the big issue is you generate in daylight and generally use electricity when it’s dark! The battery definitely allows for much more effective use of the power you generate.

The winter just gone was very poor, with low generation in Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb but the last two weeks have been amazing, averaging well over 15 kWh each day.

Cost of our battery was c. £4K for 3 x 2.4 kWh units, expandable to up to eight units. My reason for installing in the first place was not financial so I haven’t tracked the cost benefit exactly but I am fairly confident it was a good decision. I don’t worry about the payback period but I do enjoy the much smaller electricity bills!

Edited to add today, which (in contrast to the last two weeks) has been generally rather dull the system has generated 4.5 kWh so far of which 3.5 kWh went to the battery.
    Silly question but when does the battery come in and you start to use the power generated….Is it a pre set time?

Yes
    That's a relief!

Silly question but when does the battery come in and you start to use the power generated….Is it a pre set time?
    No the house uses the battery whenever it needs more than the solar is supplying. It uses power sources in a priority order:

1. Solar
    2. Battery
    3. Grid

So it typically only draws from the grid when the battery is flat (which actually means at 10% charge).

No the house uses the battery whenever it needs more than the solar is supplying. It uses power sources in a priority order:

1. Solar
    2. Battery
    3. Grid

So it typically only draws from the grid when the battery is flat (which actually means at 10% charge).
    So with your system you could be in a situation given a good day by midday you've a fully charged battery, cook midday and use, for instance, the tumble drier, which would come from the battery, but by the evening be fully charged again?
    The next day is overcast and you get nowhere near the charge but its still charged from the previous day?

So with your system you could be in a situation given a good day by midday you've a fully charged battery, cook midday and use, for instance, the tumble drier, which would come from the battery, but by the evening be fully charged again?
    The next day is overcast and you get nowhere near the charge but its still charged from the previous day?
    Yes exactly, though probably more accurate to day “still has some charge from the previous day” … however, I definitely try to use power hungry devices when the solar is generating. Obviously you can’t time everything to that but the dishwasher, washing machine or tumble dryer can mostly be run when you want vs when you need.

Yes exactly, though probably more accurate to day “still has some charge from the previous day” … however, I definitely try to use power hungry devices when the solar is generating. Obviously you can’t time everything to that but the dishwasher, washing machine or tumble dryer can mostly be run when you want vs when you need.
    I guess its a whole new way of thinking how to make the available power work for you…cheers for the advice

Master
    My evening usage is 5 kw so the system being specd for me included a 5kw battery, the solar immersion is a good idea to basically get free hot water after battery charged up.
    You get 5p export so use it or store it !

Master
    Just about to get solar installed.
    Am looking at the immersion option to reduce hot water being provided by my gas boiler.
    If anyone has done this would very much like to know what was used.

How are you only using 8kwh a day ?

I must be around 20 a day before any solar usage is deducted.
    Though wfh for the last 2 years has probably taken away any benefit of a battery as I am here consuming all day!

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    How are you only using 8kwh a day ?

I must be around 20 a day before any solar usage is deducted.
    Though wfh for the last 2 years has probably taken away any benefit of a battery as I am here consuming all day!
    That to me? I have a small efficient house; heating and hot water is gas so electricity is only for light, cooking and the typical devices. No big power draws - no fish tanks, cannabis farms or Bitcoin mines!

Journeyman
    Had my solar iboost for 6 years now… works a charm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
    Had my solar iboost for 6 years now… works a charm
    Ditto.

Master
    Ive been looking to get a solar iboost or similar myself. That seemed like the best solution. I looked at battery installation and i just didn't make sense financially. I have young children and wife at home most of the day and im WFH still. The constant use of TVs, dishwasher, washing machine/tumble dryer during the day meant that there wasn't enough going into the battery to make the high costs payback.

Just received a new quote from solartogether, the panel prices are up 65% from last year (£308/panel to around 510). What the heck? That's the solar installation plan cancelled for this year.

my Jan electric bill was just over £300
    Just for clarity, do you have a very large, poorly insulated and drafty house? Do you have a cannabis farm in your loft? A hot tub? £300 seems like a lot for a monthly bill (even by my wasteful standards).

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Just received a new quote from solartogether, the panel prices are up 65% from last year (£308/panel to around 510). What the heck? That's the solar installation plan cancelled for this year.
    When someone (on this forum?) was saying that with electricity prices going up - the clawback period was looking more attractive. I thought at the time- ‘no - the panel installers will up their prices to maintain the same incentive level’

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    When someone (on this forum?) was saying that with electricity prices going up - the clawback period was looking more attractive. I thought at the time- ‘no - the panel installers will up their prices to maintain the same incentive level’
    I think panel prices have gone up globally but i cannot see that they've gone up more than 50%. You do wonder if you're being taken for a mug.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Just for clarity, do you have a very large, poorly insulated and drafty house? Do you have a cannabis farm in your loft? A hot tub? £300 seems like a lot for a monthly bill (even by my wasteful standards).
    Nope, modern 4 bed house, problem is a 14.4 kWh electric boiler and no gas in the village.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The deal I was offered in Dec last year was 4K for eight panels.it’s now 4K for six panels.Being retired the figures just don’t add up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    The deal I was offered in Dec last year was 4K for eight panels.it’s now 4K for six panels.Being retired the figures just don’t add up for me.
    Nice to see the government have taken action to help.

Master
    So Energy quoted me £8400 in Feb, just had the site survey done ten days ago & revised quote in now £10,200!
    VAT is now 0%, one extra panel, bit of extra scaffolding, two optimisers £35 each & a bend over of £1500+

Master
    The battery video above seems good option until you see the current prices, no longer £3900 fitted more like double.

Craftsman
    I hadn't really thought about it, but I started trying TikTok and this guy popped up https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...j-kxxFkhZzje2s quite by chance, or some weird clever Chinese algorithm:)
    Have since been reading up on this more, which made finding a discussion about this on here good timing.

Our electric usage is high, I perhaps haven't really paid much attention to it until recently.
    A few months ago my wife changed her vehicle to a Tesla, so that's clearly prompted the opportunity to charge the vehicle via Solar.

We started looking at the Tesla Powerwall and combining this with Solar. I haven't as yet spoken to a local company, but am interested to find out more.
    Also, haven't looked in any great detail at power figures yet, but I would guess the battery is essential these days if you do not get paid for feeding it back to the national grid.

I also like the idea of the Powerwall becoming a UPS for my house.

Had the iboost fitted yesterday and it’s worked a treat today. In total it stuck in 2.9 kw directly in to the immersion. Great piece of tech and thanks to whoever said about them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just had our energy company; SO Energy, fit PV of 4kw on the roof with a 5kwh battery in the garage, we also had an EV charger installed and changed our tariff to a discounted rate from 00:00-05:00. The tariff prioritises the EV first, then charges the battery on the cheap rate, the solar also covers the daytime energy and further tops up the battery, any excess is sold back to the grid but I don’t think it’s a great rate. Into the evening the battery discharges and covers most of our demand. It’s very early days but it all seems to be working a treat. Our EV fuel bill for March was £13 for the whole month!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I have just had our energy company; SO Energy, fit PV of 4kw on the roof with a 5kwh battery in the garage, we also had an EV charger installed and changed our tariff to a discounted rate from 00:00-05:00. The tariff prioritises the EV first, then charges the battery on the cheap rate, the solar also covers the daytime energy and further tops up the battery, any excess is sold back to the grid but I don’t think it’s a great rate. Into the evening the battery discharges and covers most of our demand. It’s very early days but it all seems to be working a treat. Our EV fuel bill for March was £13 for the whole month!
    My quote was with So, went up from £8.4 to £10.2, managed to get it down to £9.2 - what did you pay?

14 panels, 5Kw battery, iddi, fitting.

Solar Together was doing a bulk buy in my London Borough so I registered. This is what my 'personal recommendation' came out at. It won't be accurate as I don't know how many labels I can fit on my roof, bearing in mind I have a larger dormer, although I do have a couple of smaller pitched roofs and two flat roofs.

I could lay the deposit of £150 to have a proper survey, but how do I assess whether the prices are reasonable or whether the battery capacity is enough?

Does anyone have any experience with Solar Together?

Any advice gratefully received.

[https://ichoosr-cms]

Your personal recommendation

Your roof details

- You have*tiles*and a*west*facing,*pitched roof

- Your offer is for*8 panels

- Your annual electricity consumption is*2900 kWh

Your recommended package from*The Solar Bureau

Because you weren’t sure of your roof size when you registered, we have used the*average number of panels for your location.*The optimal number of panels for*most people*in your region is 8. You can edit your roof details above for a more personalised recommendation.

Your roof details

- You have*tiles*and a*west*facing,*pitched roof

- Your offer is for*8 panels

- Your annual electricity consumption is*2900 kWh

-+

The total price of your package is:*£9,243

Prices include VAT at 0% for all Solar installations (inc battery) and 20% for battery-only installations. Please note that if you accept the offer, the installer will carry out a roof survey and suggest changes to your contract if necessary.

In your first year:

Solar PVWith battery[https://ichoosr-cms]You'll save on your energy bill:£205£458[https://ichoosr-cms]With an export tariff, you could earn:£119£51[https://ichoosr-cms]Your panels will generate:2,320 kWh2,320 kWh[https://ichoosr-cms]Of which, you'll be able to use:742 kWh1,647 kWh[https://ichoosr-cms]Your independence from the grid:25 %56 %[https://ichoosr-cms]The amount of carbon emissions saved:*492 kg492 kg

Read more about how we calculated your personal recommendation.

These figures are for the first year only, the output of your solar panels is guaranteed for 25 years.

Do you want to add battery storage to your package?

Battery Storage*

3.3 kWh6.6 kWh9.9 kWh

£3,235

Based on your energy usage and the energy that can be generated by your solar PV system we recommend a battery with a capacity of 3.3 kWh.

Check the table above to see what adding battery storage could do for you!

Click here to see some added benefits of battery storage

Personal package breakdown

£9,243

Your offer is made up of the following:

Complete solar panel system

£6,008

Roof survey

Installation

8 panels

Inverter

Materials and fittings

Monitoring tool

Extended warranties*

Insurance-backed guarantee*

Additional scaffolding cost for multiple roof slopes at £400*

Shading optimisation

£320

Because you told us your roof is (partly) shaded, we have included an add-on for your solar panels that helps maximise the generation of electricity where there is shade.

With battery

*Battery storage*

*Battery inverter*

*Installation*

*All cabling and mounting materials*

*In-home monitoring*

*Guarantees and warranties*

*Onsite survey (if advised by installer)*

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    My quote was with So, went up from £8.4 to £10.2, managed to get it down to £9.2 - what did you pay?

14 panels, 5Kw battery, iddi, fitting.
    Hi. Ours was £8770 solar and battery, the EV charger was £745. All inclusive of VAT and installation.

Master
    Hi. Ours was £8770 solar and battery, the EV charger was £745. All inclusive of VAT and installation.

Cheers how long from survey till fitment & were you happy with the service?
    Think I will be joining you, who knows what Oct will bring price hike wise.

Craftsman
    So all you guys paying up to 10k for solar installations
    What is your predicted break even point?
    Most studies suggest between 10-13 years?
    I presume none of you are planning to move?
    Are your roofs south facing?
    Do you live in the south or the North?
    All these factors affect the benefits of solar...
    One of the posts above which is very confusing seems to state annual savings of less than £500 a year at that rate you won't see any savings on a 10k system for 20 years?
    I'm not trolling just genuinely interested in the thought process of paying out up to 10k for no perceived benefit, I appreciate its better for the environment but most posts seem to be focused on saving money.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I had my system installed a bit over a year ago; cost about £7-8k for a 4.3kW system with 7.2 kWh battery.

I did it as I thought it was the “right” thing to do not for any financial return. Also helps me rationalise having a moderately high performance petrol engined car … ;)

Master
    So all you guys paying up to 10k for solar installations
    What is your predicted break even point?

8 years, will be reduced substantially if prices continue to rise.

Most studies suggest between 10-13 years?

Solar guy at work ran my numbers to confirm.

I presume none of you are planning to move?

Can take the battery with you very easily & who does not want free energy?

Are your roofs south facing?

Pure south no shading all year.

Do you live in the south or the North?

Rushcliffe central.

All these factors affect the benefits of solar...

On it.

One of the posts above which is very confusing seems to state annual savings of less than £500 a year at that rate you won't see any savings on a 10k system for 20 years?

I get sod all from the bank 9k will see good returns & vastly reduced bills.

I'm not trolling just genuinely interested in the thought process of paying out up to 10k for no perceived benefit, I appreciate its better for the environment but most posts seem to be focused on saving money.

The way things are going I do not see a return to cheap deals. Someone read ‘us’ will be paying for all the future renewables & nuclear!
    Last edited by g40steve; 9th April 2022 at 11:50.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Cheers how long from survey till fitment & were you happy with the service?
    Think I will be joining you, who knows what Oct will bring price hike wise.
    I think it was around 10 weeks but as we got our order in last year I believe we beat the rush. So far so good, the App for the Solar and EV charger both seem good, lots of info readily available and easy to program the charger timings, otherwise SO set everything up. It’s a tad early to know what effect it will have yet but I should get a good idea in a few weeks time. I am thinking it’s a good system so far.

The image below is literally taken now, 14:09 08.04.22. It shows the solar producing over 3kw, nearly 2kw going back into the battery which is 59% charged, the current house demand and 630 watts going back to the grid. We use a lot of power Saturday mornings as my wife needs the underfloor heating on in her home Pilates Studio.

Master
    I think it was around 10 weeks but as we got our order in last year I believe we beat the rush. So far so good, the App for the Solar and EV charger both seem good, lots of info readily available and easy to program the charger timings, otherwise SO set everything up. It’s a tad early to know what effect it will have yet but I should get a good idea in a few weeks time. I am thinking it’s a good system so far.

The image below is literally taken now, 14:09 08.04.22. It shows the solar producing over 3kw, nearly 2kw going back into the battery which is 59% charged, the current house demand and 630 watts going back to the grid. We use a lot of power Saturday mornings as my wife needs the underfloor heating on in her home Pilates Studio.

How’s the production going??

I've placed my order, installation scheduled for 24 June. Orientation of the house is such that I have a pretty long run of panels south facing. Frustrating seeing all the sun out there and missing out!

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    I hadn't really thought about it, but I started trying TikTok and this guy popped up https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...j-kxxFkhZzje2s quite by chance, or some weird clever Chinese algorithm:)
    Have since been reading up on this more, which made finding a discussion about this on here good timing.

Our electric usage is high, I perhaps haven't really paid much attention to it until recently.
    A few months ago my wife changed her vehicle to a Tesla, so that's clearly prompted the opportunity to charge the vehicle via Solar.

We started looking at the Tesla Powerwall and combining this with Solar. I haven't as yet spoken to a local company, but am interested to find out more.
    Also, haven't looked in any great detail at power figures yet, but I would guess the battery is essential these days if you do not get paid for feeding it back to the national grid.

I also like the idea of the Powerwall becoming a UPS for my house.
    If you have a Tesla isn't that a mobile powerwall sitting there already ?

I can see how solar would be good to heat the immersion & then charge the car & not need the expense/space/hassle of an additional battery ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    Am looking at the immersion option to reduce hot water being provided by my gas boiler.
    I have https://myenergi.com/product/eddi/ - pretty straightforward to install. I also have all MyEnergi's products scattered around the house, so plays nice with the EV charging (provided by a Zappi).

Annoyingly, looks like MyEnergi might be struggling to get parts along with everyone else - last couple of times I've checked, they've been out of stock, but might be worth dropping them a line - they're usually very responsive to questions/support.

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post

Yes. My system firstly powers the house (TV, washing machines, etc), then any excess is stored in a Tesla Powerwall, once that is full, the excess goes to the immersion heater. Only once that reaches the thermostatic temp, is any excess power transferred to the grid. The system we use is Solar Boost. Very good and easy to install.

Normally our hot water comes from an Oil Boiler, so we only every use immersion when the Powerwall is full.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche