closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where next after LOTR/The Hobbit?

Master

Where next after LOTR/The Hobbit?

Looking for some ideas for next reads...

Sounds weird, but I'm not really into fantasy as such - at least not 'mainstream' fantasy? I find much of it a bit childish and one-dimensional. However I do love LOTR and have read it four or five times - more rereads than any other book I've read. This will also sound weird, but one of the reasons I think I like it is for it's *historical* context! The idea of how life might have been in a distant past - obviously minus the magic, dragons, talking trees etc!

I've tried some Ken Follett historical novels which haven't worked for me at all. I do like some Shakespeare but can't really read it - too difficult for me - prefer theatre/filmed versions. I did read The Dark is Rising (which may have been a recommend from this forum) which I enjoyed even though it is a kids book really.

Any ideas for books/authors/genres I might look into?

God knows we all need a bit of escapism at the moment!

Edward Rutherford has done a series of books named after cities, London, Dublin, Sarum, they start at the very beginnings of the city foundation, and continue trough to nearly present day, often following a particular family through the ups and downs, obviously fiction but with accurate historical context and events and places, so you get to find origins of place names etc, I find them fascinating to read, especially if you are familiar with the cities he writes about.

Also, the first book that really gripped me as a young adult was the Arthurian legend book 'The once and future king' by TH White, and in the same vein, 'The mists of Avalon' by Marion Bradley.
    Last edited by JasonM; 20th July 2022 at 11:31.
    Cheers..
    Jase

David Gemmell’s ‘Legend’ heroic fantasy at its best,
    Tim Powers magical’Anubis Gates’ or ‘Drawing of the dark’ can’t describe either in genre Novel terms because Powers blend of themes is unique.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe.K View Post
    Tim Powers magical’Anubis Gates’ or ‘Drawing of the dark’ can’t describe either in genre Novel terms because Powers blend of themes is unique.

Another one for David Gemmell (any of his books but Waylander and Legend are good to start with) or Raymond E Feist (The Riftwar Saga) for total escapism. Might not be totally to your taste but worth a go.

Of course the Terry Pratchet Discworld series is the ultimate in escapism.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    A blast from the past but it's a majorly easy and enjoyable read if you like sci-fantasy:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_Powers

Like you, I've also read Lord of the Rings on multiple occasions.

Recently found myself not reading as much - more down to eyes getting older than anything else, so not that up to date with current best sellers etc.

I did binge read the entire A Song of Fire and Ice series of novels...which crossed over in time with binge watching Game of Thrones. As has been widely published, the books are quite different to the programs...

Master
    Try Titus Groan (and if you like it the rest of the trilogy) by Mervyn Peake.

Anything by David Gemmell will be a delight. I’ve read and re-read all of his books and will occasionally revisit them. Simon Scarrow and Conn Iggulden are another of my favourite authors, albeit their style is more factual fantasy than the magical fantasy portrayed in Gemmell’s books. In a similar vein to Gemmell is The Confessor series by Terry Goodkind and don’t forget George RR Martin’s fairly well portrayed series of books which make up The Game of Thrones.

Journeyman
    harry Harrison wrote a really great trilogy, west of eden, winter in eden and return to eden , I reread all three a number of times, very enjoyable have a look!
    Last edited by Pardalis; 20th July 2022 at 14:42.

another vote for david gemmell - i like the rigante series

raymond feist - riftwar series (lot of books )

Games of Thrones is a classic and based around War of the Roses by having similar themes.

The First Law trilogy and subsequent novels are classed as grim dark fantasy by having more adult themes and language.

Both of the above work on shades of grey rather than outright good and evil and both have political manoeuvrings as well as outright gory battles.

For more traditional fantasy then Brandon Sanderson has a number of good series based within his own multiverse but each is a standalone story. He was also the author or that also finished off Robert Jordan Wheel of Time series which I thought was good for the first 5-6 books but then I got a bit bored!

Also check out Terry Goodkind’s Sword of Truth as well as the above recommendations.

If you want something a little different then you could try some historical fiction such as Bernard Cornwell’s Sharpe novels based on the Napoleonic wars or Simon Scarrow’s Eagle series based on the Roman invasion of England.
    Last edited by paw3001; 20th July 2022 at 16:11.

Gaiman
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Try Ben Aaronovitch’s Rivers of London series, from what you say I think you’ll enjoy them.

Blog Entries
    Going sideway: Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Starts off as satire of LOTR-style fantasy but develops its own character, world, personality and personalities.

Going forward: The Dune series. Darker LOTR set in the future.

Also, not least, stuff by Harry Turtledove. Rather addictive, I found.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 20th July 2022 at 18:08.

Master
    I rarely read fantasy anymore but read loads in the past. This is what I remember, but so many more. You can also tell I'm not current.

In order of similarity to the LOTR trilogy.

Raymond Feist Magician. The first book of the rift war series. The rest of the series gets progressively worse, but the first is a good stand alone read. LOTR meets Tekumel, with a good dose of D&D.
    David Eddings The Belgariad. A five part series with countless sequels. LOTR but instead of elves and dwarves imagine nations based on stereotypical historical cultures: viking, medieval knight plus robin hood, ancient Rome, mongols etc plus gods and magicians.
    Terry Brooks Sword of Shannara and Elfstones of Shannara. The first is a rewrite of LOTR set in a very post apocalyptic future. The second is more interesting. Everything else trends toward appalling.
    Jack Vance Lyonesse. First part of trilogy but the first book works as a stand alone read. LOTR written by P.G. Wodehouse. My personal favourite.
    Joe Abercrombie The First Law trilogy. A dark cynical LOTR with a lot of trope inversion. I found it ultimately too dark, but populated with engaging character and written by an author who like Tarantino as much as Tolkien and had one eye on a screenplay.
    Ursula LeGuin. Wizard of Earthsea. A feminist post colonial retelling of LOTR, maybe. Don't let that description put you off, it is a good story well told.
    Gene Wolfe Wizard Knight. A duology heavily influenced by Norse myth and the Arthurian cycle. The Shadow of the Torturer is better but much further from Tolkein
    Michael Moorcook Elric etc. So many books, all tied together in his Eternal Champion cycle. Elric is the anti-Conan. Moorcock has been vocal in his dislike of Tolkien but he is closer in theme than he might admit.

As you liked the Dark is Rising.

Alan Garner Wierdstone of Brisingamen. Garner's first novel written in the 60's and with a very LOTR as they hue back to the same sources but also a real sense of place with its Cheshire setting. Garner went on to become a renowned writer of literary fiction.
    Lloyd Alexander The Book of Three. Disney made a hash of the film version of The Black Cauldron, but the books are a fun read. But very much children's books.
    Phillip Pullman Northern Lights.. I think the first novel is a well told story but the sequels sacrifice plot for world building

Bit dark perhaps but the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson are amazing.

Darker still Joe Abercrombie the first Law series and subsequent books…Logan aka The Bloody Nine…what a creation.
    Last edited by Passenger; 20th July 2022 at 20:44.

Master
    Fantastic - thanks everyone - plenty for me to research and get my nose stuck into

Craftsman
    How about ancient history?

Rome: I Claudius, and Claudius the God, by Robert’s Graves. Also, Memoirs of Hadrian, by Marguerite Yourcenar.

Egypt: Ancient Evenings, by Normal Mailer.

Greece: The Song of Achilles, by Madeline Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Bit dark perhaps but the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson are amazing.
    Have to agree with this. The opening 50 pages are incredibly dark and difficult. I gave up on my first read but now love them almost as much as LOTR. The Unhomed are wonderful characters as are the Bloodguard.

Another good book is The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

I like Robin Hobb's stuff.

Another vote for Dune, I think the original series is six books long. However they are subject to the laws of diminishing returns by the end of book 4, IIRC.

The Rotherweird Trilogy by Andrew Caldecott is a very well written, quirky series involving a part of England which is out of time with the rest of us and has a portal to a different world. That's an awful description but please check it out.

The Green Man series by Juliet E McKenna are easier fare but still well written. Basically dryads, nyiads and all manner of fairie folk do exist and the main character is part of their world and ours. He has to solve mysteries so that the natural order is maintained and evil vanquished.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Another good book is The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.
    10 years still waiting for the 3rd book in the trilogy. Would struggle to recommend to anyone on that basis.

Tolkien's The Silmarillion - difficult read though

Doulas Adams Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy - book or BBC show - stay away from the movie

The Talisman (Stephen King and Peter Straub novel) horror/fantasy/sci fi - think it would make a great movie

DON

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post
    Doulas Adams Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy - book or BBC show - stay away from the movie
    Good idea.

I am reminded that Douglas Adams had a connection with another fantasy author: Mary Gentle. Her writing is quirky and unusual. 'Grunts!' is one of her best known books which is worth a read.

Master
    I’ve come to the conclusion that with the exception of Tolkien I loathe fantasy.

But I digress ;

The Steel Remains ; Richard Morgan
    (Trilogy about a gay conan type , sadistically violent as only Morgan can do , the gay sex scenes are not my cup of tea , nothing against it just not personally on that spectrum , its a very exciting well written ride though).

Neverness series ( Richard Zindell) fantasy and hard sci fi combined extremely effectively. Great characters and sequels that up the game in new ways.

Earthsea Ursula K LeGuin…. All great .

The rest I usually struggle with. I think fantasy has a lot of really terrible writers , Terry Brooks and David Eddings I wouldn’t use as Andrex .

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    10 years still waiting for the 3rd book in the trilogy. Would struggle to recommend to anyone on that basis.
    The first two books are still really good reads. They stand on their own really well. It’s just the same as The Song of Fire and Ice books. Waiting to read them until the series is finished may mean you’d never read them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Terry Brooks and David Eddings I wouldn’t use as Andrex .
    And just a FYI Eddings and his wife were jailed in the 70s for child abuse , before they had success as authors.

And just a FYI Eddings and his wife were jailed in the 70s for child abuse , before they had success as authors.
    Yes they were jailed for physical abuse of their adopted son. They were caught beating him with a belt by the police. No sign or suggestion of any sexual abuse. They were jailed for just a year and their adopted son and daughter were removed.

Amazing it stayed hidden for so long and it seems they were both quite cynical about writing fantasy to make a lot of money. Thankfully, they are now both dead and their estate now provides scholarships at Portland College I believe.
    Last edited by paw3001; 22nd July 2022 at 08:20.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Yes they were jailed for physical abuse of their adopted son. They were caught beating him with a belt by the police. No sign or suggestion of any sexual abuse. They were jailed for just a year and their adopted son and daughter were removed.

Amazing it stayed hidden for so long and it seems they were both quite cynical about writing fantasy to make a lot of money. Thankfully l, they are now both dead and their estate now provides scholarships at Portland College I believe.
    Kept him in a cage in the basement with the dogs also according to the records.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe.K View Post

Plus one for Tim Powers -- The Drawing of the Dark is superb, and I love all of his other books.

A left-field suggestion is an author of children's books -- Alan Garner had a similar mastery of English to Tolkien; of his children's novels, "The Owl Service" and "Red Shift" are more adult, and he has written some good adult novels ("Thursbitch" is not what it sounds like!) but all are much more rooted in England than any equivalent of Middle Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Of course the Terry Pratchet Discworld series is the ultimate in escapism.
    I 100% agree.

Much like Tolkein, you don't have to be interested in fantasy to love his work.

Blog Entries
    How about Phillip Pullman - his dark materials…. A great read

Echo the comments re. Brandon Sanderson and Ursula K. Le Guin. Both great.

Would also add
    Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson, which I've not seen mentioned here. I've only just started to read it but love his writing style so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jkb89 View Post

Would also add
    Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson, which I've not seen mentioned here. I've only just started to read it but love his writing style so far.
    I started the audio book version of the whole series and it's 388hrs long 0_0.
    I have to say I'm on book 3 so far and it just keeps getting better. It was a recommendation on here and great one at that.

You could always try R. A. Salvatore Legend of Drizzt, 33 book's and counting but they are an excellent series.

Also Brandon Sanders is a great author.

Especially Stormlight Archive.

Sent from a technical device.
    Last edited by sickie; 23rd July 2022 at 05:55.

Craftsman
    My friend is big science fiction fan and said The Book Of The New Sun series by Gene Wolf is one of the great works of post war sci- Fi

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

I also used to read a lot of fantasy stuff but not for many years. I do like fantastical and alternative views of history though and books that play with those ideas. I recommend the following:

Isabel Allende - House of the Spirits. Magical realism covering several generations of one family in Chile, up to and including the murderous events of the Pinochet era. A really good read and one of the few books I have ever bothered to read in a different language. She has written many other books, but this was my first by her and is still my favoutite.

Salman Rushdie - The Ground Beneath Her Feet. Talking of magical realism, Rushdie pretty much owns the genre. This is my favourite book of his as it is much easier reading than many of his others and covers lots of sixties and seventies pop culture, playfully changing key bits of history.

Carlos Ruis Zafon - The Shadow of the Wind. First book of the 'Cemetery of Forgotten Books' series. Less magical realism and more brutal reality, but like Allende, these focus on the lives of a number of linked characters through tumultuous events over a number of years, in this case the aftermath of the Spanish civil war. Quite epic in scope and a fascinating glimpse of a history that isn't much told in our culture. Beautifully written as well.

These would keep you busy for a while and are a bit of a departure from SF&F.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ant8519 View Post
    I

Carlos Ruis Zafon - The Shadow of the Wind. .
    Just finished this two days ago… it has to be one of the very best books I’ve read…. The sense of place and atmosphere is quite remarkable …. A great page turning story too

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Just finished this two days ago… it has to be one of the very best books I’ve read…. The sense of place and atmosphere is quite remarkable …. A great page turning story too
    Yes it is up there in my favourites list too, probably a top ten at least. The other books in the series are good too, but like with Allende, I often find the first great book from one author is tough to follow up on. It reminds me of the classic line from Joseph Heller. He was challenged by an interviewer who said something along the lines that he had not written anything else that was as good as Catch-22, to which he immediately replied "No, but then neither has anyone else".

Journeyman
    I’ve come to the conclusion that with the exception of Tolkien I loathe fantasy.

But I digress ;

The Steel Remains ; Richard Morgan
    (Trilogy about a gay conan type , sadistically violent as only Morgan can do , the gay sex scenes are not my cup of tea , nothing against it just not personally on that spectrum , its a very exciting well written ride though).

Neverness series ( Richard Zindell) fantasy and hard sci fi combined extremely effectively. Great characters and sequels that up the game in new ways.

Earthsea Ursula K LeGuin…. All great .

The rest I usually struggle with. I think fantasy has a lot of really terrible writers , Terry Brooks and David Eddings I wouldn’t use as Andrex .
    I absolutely agree with you.
    Last edited by bobocat; 29th July 2022 at 18:47.

Blog Entries
    Yes it is up there in my favourites list too, probably a top ten at least. The other books in the series are good too, but like with Allende, I often find the first great book from one author is tough to follow up on. It reminds me of the classic line from Joseph Heller. He was challenged by an interviewer who said something along the lines that he had not written anything else that was as good as Catch-22, to which he immediately replied "No, but then neither has anyone else".
    Ha! A great line from Heller…. It was a very fine one hit wonder though! Although I’ve attempted to read it a couple of times I’ve never quite bonded with it…. I’m a good way through The Magus by John Fowles currently…. Helped by the fact that I’m on holiday in Greece!
    Last edited by Wolfie; 23rd July 2022 at 22:23.

Coincidentally I was on holiday when I read Catch-22. Maybe that is why I managed it, as the narrative and timeline are totally bizarre, but as I had very little else to do it was manageable. I was supposed to be surfing but the sea was so choppy it was pretty much impossible so I spent the whole week lounging around on a nudist beach. Despite this, I managed to get through a few books. The only other one that I can remember was The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. The combination of Catch-22 and The Selfish Gene in one week was mind blowing. The fact that I was on a surfing holiday with no surf and on a nudist beach for a week made the choice of reading feel even more bizarre. Any book has to be pretty memorable set against that backdrop...

I will have a look for The Magus.

Blog Entries
    Coincidentally I was on holiday when I read Catch-22. Maybe that is why I managed it, as the narrative and timeline are totally bizarre, but as I had very little else to do it was manageable. I was supposed to be surfing but the sea was so choppy it was pretty much impossible so I spent the whole week lounging around on a nudist beach. Despite this, I managed to get through a few books. The only other one that I can remember was The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. The combination of Catch-22 and The Selfish Gene in one week was mind blowing. The fact that I was on a surfing holiday with no surf and on a nudist beach for a week made the choice of reading feel even more bizarre. Any book has to be pretty memorable set against that backdrop...
    The mind boggles ;-)

I will have a look for The Magus.
    Yep…. Would recommend…. It’s quite engrossing so far…. An Oxford graduate “a third class degree, but a first class illusion” goes off to teach on a small Greek island….

Master
    Blimey so many recommendations I've had to crack out Excel! Thanks all - bit of research required!

Craftsman
    I enjoyed the Hobbit, but found LOTR a struggle, took me three attempts to finish it. My recommendation would be the His Dark Materials trilogy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jkb89 View Post

Would also add
    I enjoyed reading Steven Erikson, good shout. A bit different is the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley, another enjoyable read (imo).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Yep…. Would recommend…. It’s quite engrossing so far…. An Oxford graduate “a third class degree, but a first class illusion” goes off to teach on a small Greek island….
    The Magus is fantastic, but I think better read in one's 20 rather than in one's 40's. I think It would have blown my mind as a young man

Since we are going off piste, The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien - 'A thriller, a hilarious comic satire about an archetypal village police force, a surrealistic vision of eternity, the story of a tender, brief, unrequited love affair between a man and his bicycle, and a chilling fable of unending guilt,'

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post
    My friend is big science fiction fan and said The Book Of The New Sun series by Gene Wolf is one of the great works of post war sci- Fi

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app
    You're friend is spot on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    The Magus is fantastic, but I think better read in one's 20 rather than in one's 40's. I think It would have blown my mind as a young man

Since we are going off piste, The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien - 'A thriller, a hilarious comic satire about an archetypal village police force, a surrealistic vision of eternity, the story of a tender, brief, unrequited love affair between a man and his bicycle, and a chilling fable of unending guilt,'
    Unfortunately I’m in my 40’s! But, I interned to keep enjoying it nonetheless!

The Third Policeman sounds interesting…. Loosely based on hot fuzz? :-)

Will have to put it on my reading list!

Ps…. Sorry to the OP for going all ‘Rolex’ on your thread !!!