closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Everest GILT -sold out less than a minute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brammer View Post
    There was as much stock as we could manage available including 20 Jubilee bracelets but demand was as high as we’ve seen in the last 16 months with nearly 1000 people online at 2pm.
    Interesting on the numbers, thanks.

It was a lot busier than the last few openings and I can only think it was to do with the Watchfinder video from a couple of weeks ago.
    I thought that might make a difference. It's intriguing how a single source can change things significantly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    You know the answer is to give the forum members first dibs.
    This idea has been growing on me, although of course that's easy for me to say as I'm not the person who'd need to implement it.

There'd be an administrative and technical overhead to make this happen securely and reliably. It's doable of course, but not for free in terms of time and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    You know the answer is to give the forum members first dibs.
    That is one of several solutions. It’s what happens at the Royal Albert Hall for example where patrons are able to buy tickets before the general public.

The other problem to solve is how to open the shop for longer than 2 minutes every two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    That is one of several solutions. It’s what happens at the Royal Albert Hall for example where patrons are able to buy tickets before the general public.

The other problem to solve is how to open the shop for longer than 2 minutes every two weeks.
    It's down to the logistics of shipping orders, once x number of items are sold they then need ​y time to dispatch.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

The length of the time the store is open isn’t pre-planned, that’s just how long it takes for the watches to sell out and reach the order limit.

If it took 3 hours/days/weeks for them to sell out that’s how long it’d be open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dave from Time Factors

Timefactors Insta

I’m always willing to talk to people about ideas and welcome it but I would appreciate if people didn’t PM me abuse on here.
    I’d suggest those people should be banned.
    It is frustrating not being able to buy something we want, but that is totally unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    This idea has been growing on me, although of course that's easy for me to say as I'm not the person who'd need to implement it.

There'd be an administrative and technical overhead to make this happen securely and reliably. It's doable of course, but not for free in terms of time and effort.
    Either put prices up (these watches are underpriced for what you get) or charge members here a fee to cover any extra overheads involved in providing advanced order priority.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    charge members here a fee to cover any extra overheads involved in providing advanced order priority.
    I can only think that charging money to allow people to 'guarantee' a buying slot would not have good optics, as they like to say nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I can only think that charging money to allow people to 'guarantee' a buying slot would not have good optics, as they like to say nowadays.

Given that the alternative for a lot of members is having their eyes taken out buying from profiteers I'm sure that most wouldn't mind a reasonable premium to cover any overheads in providing such a service.
    F.T.F.A.

well if its the latter, 298/500 is on ebay for £650.

Quite frankly, if people are so desperate that they want to make a couple of hundred quid, they need pity.
    Sign o' the times innit, see also those plastic toy swatchmegas, moneys tight for many and a coupla hundred quid 'free money', not to be sniffed at...a week's food and power. The current TF purchasing challenge lends itself to this, whilst the angst and disgruntlement of frustrated purchasers helps feed the whole thing...

Thankfully 36 mm is just too small for me and there's other micros, plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Sign o' the times innit, see also those plastic toy swatchmegas, moneys tight for many and a coupla hundred quid 'free money', not to be sniffed at...a week's food and power. The current TF purchasing challenge lends itself to this, whilst the angst and disgruntlement of frustrated purchasers helps feed the whole thing...

Thankfully 36 mm is just too small for me and there's other micros, plenty.
    There are several brand new watches from here being sold online. They all show the number of the guarantee. While there’s no law against this , at least the identity of the seller can be traced and perhaps some sort of action could be taken regarding restricting access to the shop so that those who actually want to collect these items have a fighting chance of getting them?

We do monitor that and block people if the number is shown. Only if people have blatantly bought to flip though I.e. the watch is up 24 hours after it’s been bought with a large starting price.

They are people’s watches so they are free to do what they want, and sometimes they will be priced slightly higher as people from outside the UK might have paid some kind of duty they want to recover.

Serial offenders and blatant flippers are blocked though.

Dave from Time Factors

Timefactors Insta

There are several brand new watches from here being sold online. They all show the number of the guarantee. While there’s no law against this , at least the identity of the seller can be traced and perhaps some sort of action could be taken regarding restricting access to the shop so that those who actually want to collect these items have a fighting chance of getting them?
    True, though seems like possibly a lotta extra faff at a time when they're already run off their feet and the resellers/ profiteers are kinda helping to feed the whole value proposition/ extreme high demand, hard to get, thus must be very good, bit like Rolex...TF's flogging mucho watches equals good business.

Brammer raises a valid point RE overseas purchasers...it's 21 per cent duty minimum, plus delivery...also there's word on the grapevine locally of even some low cost items getting slammed with taxes maybe Spain's flexing over Brexit/ preparing to respond should things go pear shaped in Ireland, dunno...So the Everest variants are costing low to mid 400gbp's ! IF you didn't 'bond' with it and eventually decided to move it on in a market with so much demand/ unequal supply...who wouldn't want a few quid/ a 'drink', for their efforts. Obviously different to serial flipping.
    Last edited by Passenger; 16th May 2022 at 09:38.

I am sure it must have been mentioned, but can you sell a reservation for a watch for £100 (or some such)?

These don't need shipping, so sell as many as you like, and keep the shop open. Then charge the balance of the watch price when you ship. Gives you some ability to see demand, and customers a way to buy a watch (accepting it won't ship immediately) without this somewhat maddening for all concerned system.

You can keep a "generally ships within ... X weeks" note on the faster-selling ones. The impatient might find something else online they like while waiting. I've no doubt overlooked something obvious.

We do monitor that and block people if the number is shown. Only if people have blatantly bought to flip though I.e. the watch is up 24 hours after it’s been bought with a large starting price.

They are people’s watches so they are free to do what they want, and sometimes they will be priced slightly higher as people from outside the UK might have paid some kind of duty they want to recover.

Serial offenders and blatant flippers are blocked though.

Thanks for this. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I am sure it must have been mentioned, but can you sell a reservation for a watch for £100 (or some such)?

These don't need shipping, so sell as many as you like, and keep the shop open. Then charge the balance of the watch price when you ship. Gives you some ability to see demand, and customers a way to buy a watch (accepting it won't ship immediately) without this somewhat maddening for all concerned system.

You can keep a "generally ships within ... X weeks" note on the faster-selling ones. The impatient might find something else online they like while waiting. I've no doubt overlooked something obvious.
    Hi. We’ve thought about this but there’s a few issues with reserving or having pre-orders.

First it’d be the same race to be the first people on the list, like Sunday 2pm just for pre-orders.

There’s always a slim chance there may be an issue with delivering the watches, I.e. supply problems, movement issues, import problems etc and we’d have customer deposits then need to open dialogue with everyone keeping them updated.

We’d also then have to collect the balance in individual transactions and manage those manually which would be complicated and time consuming.

It may cause it’s own issues but physically having the stock, knowing there’s no obvious issues and shipping within a couple of weeks like we do at the moment eliminates some of these potential issues.

Dave from Time Factors

Timefactors Insta

Master
    How about a ballot system? No rush to enter, then the 'winners' have x days to pay. Recently read on another forum about the sales process here, with certain members saying 'PM me for advice on how to succeed' which I found interesting to see, seems like the everest sales are talkedabout in the same way even outside this forum.

Would probably be fairer and potentially more exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    How about a ballot system? No rush to enter, then the 'winners' have x days to pay. Recently read on another forum about the sales process here, with certain members saying 'PM me for advice on how to succeed' which I found interesting to see, seems like the everest sales are talkedabout in the same way even outside this forum.

Would probably be fairer and potentially more exciting.
    As I really want the PRS25 EXP when it’s released, perhaps Dave could take some orders from within the forum ahead of time to target the desperate people. Like me

Whatever system you / we come up with, there will always be issues, drawbacks, disadvantages, etc.

With that out of the way, I like the (not so perfect) system MKII, another great micro-brand, has. New models get announced, several even before proto-types were built and on a given day, the reservation- / wait-list opens. To get on that list, a 50% deposit is required. Then the real wait begins. Many can not stomach that wait and bail out. Or didn't get on the list to begin with. Generally speaking, only those who really, really want a MKII piece, get -and stay- on the list.

As I said, no system is perfect - I had to wait almost 10 years for my MKII Project300. Still, prefer that over the mad Sunday morning frenzy.

Hi folks - new member here. Don't want to antagonise anyone annoyed enough already, but I managed to snag an Everest gilt on my first try on Sunday. I had read stories on An American Forum and had everything pre-prepped with the clipboard ready to go. I think I was just very, very lucky that the credit card didn't do a 2-Factor check this time or it probably would have taken too long. Looking forward to having it though. I nearly bought an Explorer 30-odd years ago and instead chose a Oyster Datejust (still have it). Still not sure it was the right decision then & can't justify an Explorer now :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_calcite View Post
    Hi folks - new member here. Don't want to antagonise anyone annoyed enough already, but I managed to snag an Everest gilt on my first try on Sunday. I had read stories on An American Forum and had everything pre-prepped with the clipboard ready to go. I think I was just very, very lucky that the credit card didn't do a 2-Factor check this time or it probably would have taken too long. Looking forward to having it though. I nearly bought an Explorer 30-odd years ago and instead chose a Oyster Datejust (still have it). Still not sure it was the right decision then & can't justify an Explorer now :)
    Welcome and well done on the ordering. :-)

Not that I'm a Rolex nut but I don't think getting a DJ is likely to have been a bad choice.

And of course, an Everest is now a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_calcite View Post
    Hi folks - new member here. Don't want to antagonise anyone annoyed enough already, but I managed to snag an Everest gilt on my first try on Sunday.
    Id keep that information to yourself if I were you!

Craftsman
    Reading all the above including Brammer’s considered response it appears that because of the fantastic demand there’s no easy answer to this. 1000 attempted sales in a few minutes is crazy.

How about selling on a 3 period cycle based on surnames - A-J, K-O, P-Z or whatever, as the names are that already appear on existing Timefactors accounts - there appears to be enough buyers on the current list: in any case new buyers wouldn’t have sufficient time to enter they’re details so buyers for some time must be only those who’ve pre-registered their details. New registrants could be added at Brammer’s convenience, with a cross check against email address and postcode (which would also flag flippers). To fairly apportion surnames to each of the 3 groups existing sales could be used to identify sales/surname. Not perfect by any means, but at least the bun fight should only have 1/3 of contestants each time.

Or maybe , as above, is there a way for Dave to take a few orders from people who have tried an inordinate number of times, and enter them into the system before the shop officially opens? I’m sure that’s not as way as it sounds, but it would solve several current problems.

PS can I add a jubilee bracelet to my order?

Craftsman
    No wonder the Everest is selling so quickly when you see the overheated prices that Explorer’s are making
    https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-63...ssummary&lid=1
    😳

Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post
    No wonder the Everest is selling so quickly when you see the overheated prices that Explorer’s are making
    https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-63...ssummary&lid=1
    Very good condition that. It nearly doubled the estimate.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Hi. I understand that’ll add to the frustration of forum members and supporters of many years. It has been discussed but there isn’t a practical system at the moment for addressing this, I will keep investigating though.

Pretty shocking that you're getting abuse, that shouldn't ever be happening. As a poster above said there should be bans from the forum and the shop.

Trying to think about how to handle store opening and a way to prioritise forum members/long term fans/collectors, the problem is that Eddie keeps releasing such great watches that people go nuts for them and the scalpers seem to be cleaning up. This may not be entirely true, but when a hard to get watch appears on ebay within a day or two of being sold at a 300% markup, this draws a disproportionate amount of attention even if some long standing customers were able to get what they wanted.

From my own point of view I've been wanting to buy some straps for months but family commitments mean I'm never able to join the 2pm frenzy, and given the hassle others have experienced it doesn't seem worth the effort/disappointment.

Going back to possible solutions, would it be an option to open the store only for selling straps/bracelets? This might not work for you financially if you're holding a large stock of watches that need to keep going out the door, but could you stretch watch sales to every three weeks?

The current two week gap that allows you to ship everything sold, could you at the end of the two weeks, open only for straps, and then open as normal for watches a week later? I assume you could ship twice as many orders if they're straps only? If this isn't the case then my idea wouldn't work, but it seems to me that scalpers don't buy straps, only the very desirable watches. This would give the collectors/long term customers the chance to at least get hold of something.

I would think given the trouble placing orders there will be a bit of pent up strap purchasers waiting, but it wouldn't need to be every cycle, you could open for straps only every other time.

I may be suggesting the equivalent of commercial suicide, but figured that suggestions wouldn't hurt and someone might come up with an idea worth pursuing!

Quote Originally Posted by twhp101 View Post
    Pretty shocking that you're getting abuse, that shouldn't ever be happening. As a poster above said there should be bans from the forum and the shop.

Trying to think about how to handle store opening and a way to prioritise forum members/long term fans/collectors, the problem is that Eddie keeps releasing such great watches that people go nuts for them and the scalpers seem to be cleaning up. This may not be entirely true, but when a hard to get watch appears on ebay within a day or two of being sold at a 300% markup, this draws a disproportionate amount of attention even if some long standing customers were able to get what they wanted.

From my own point of view I've been wanting to buy some straps for months but family commitments mean I'm never able to join the 2pm frenzy, and given the hassle others have experienced it doesn't seem worth the effort/disappointment.

Going back to possible solutions, would it be an option to open the store only for selling straps/bracelets? This might not work for you financially if you're holding a large stock of watches that need to keep going out the door, but could you stretch watch sales to every three weeks?

The current two week gap that allows you to ship everything sold, could you at the end of the two weeks, open only for straps, and then open as normal for watches a week later? I assume you could ship twice as many orders if they're straps only? If this isn't the case then my idea wouldn't work, but it seems to me that scalpers don't buy straps, only the very desirable watches. This would give the collectors/long term customers the chance to at least get hold of something.

I would think given the trouble placing orders there will be a bit of pent up strap purchasers waiting, but it wouldn't need to be every cycle, you could open for straps only every other time.

I may be suggesting the equivalent of commercial suicide, but figured that suggestions wouldn't hurt and someone might come up with an idea worth pursuing!
    Hey. Hope you’re well. Thanks for making some great points.

I’ve been looking at ways to separate off the straps/bracelets and maybe even some older models of watches that people miss out on due to the rush on the current new release that opening. You’re right it’s commercially not too viable to have just a strap opening, we could maybe take 200 orders for straps in a day but that’d be the equivalent turnover of maybe 6/7 watches. That’s why we’re limiting the amount of Jubilee bracelets available in an opening, at the moment they 10/15 we release go first in the orders so if we put them all on there the turnover would be way down.

I’ve looked at things such as separate Etsy stores but the fees are astronomical, and a whole separate store using Shopify would be too much of a setup.

We are looking at options though so hopefully we’ll find a solution soon.

Dave from Time Factors

Timefactors Insta

Hey. Hope you’re well. Thanks for making some great points.

I’ve been looking at ways to separate off the straps/bracelets and maybe even some older models of watches that people miss out on due to the rush on the current new release that opening. You’re right it’s commercially not too viable to have just a strap opening, we could maybe take 200 orders for straps in a day but that’d be the equivalent turnover of maybe 6/7 watches. That’s why we’re limiting the amount of Jubilee bracelets available in an opening, at the moment they 10/15 we release go first in the orders so if we put them all on there the turnover would be way down.

I’ve looked at things such as separate Etsy stores but the fees are astronomical, and a whole separate store using Shopify would be too much of a setup.

We are looking at options though so hopefully we’ll find a solution soon.

Thanks David for your reply I figured it wouldn't be as easy as that!

Hopefully a solution can be found, but even if it can't it's great that Eddie's watches are doing so well.

Thanks again :)

Master
    I think we should try to remember that’s it’s just two guys fulfilling the orders.
    The system works, but just not for everyone who would like to buy a product. As frustrating as it is for us TZ forum users, we should see the positive that it’s a home grown watch business that is suffering from its success. What a lovely position to be in! Congratulations should be in order for managing to create such a good demand with a superb product range.
    To take and clear more orders would require some change, and/or investment or subcontracting the sales part out, or something else. I’m no business advisor guru to give advice, and I certainly don’t know all the ins and outs of Timefactors to make suggestions.
    At the end of the day It’s up to Eddie and David to do what they are comfortable with and what’s best for them. Even if that is to continue as it is, then so be it.
    (And ban those who throw any abuse, totally unacceptable behaviour).