closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watches you REALLY want despite knowing that you absolutely don’t want one.

Watches you REALLY want despite knowing that you absolutely don’t want one.

I have this with Doxas. Wanted one for as long as I can remember. Spend ages looking at them in SC. Real burning desire for one…despite knowing that, as sure as God made little apples, I would regret it ten seconds after it arrived, I won’t wear it and it’ll be up for sale again within a week.
    Anyone have this with something, or am I weird?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Breguet XX

My favourite movement, good history, nice from the front but overloaded with 'posh' detail touches that would get on my nerves from the moment I strapped it on. It's too large and too tall, but lordy do I fancy one.

In fact, on reflection, they are the anti Rolex for me. I'm besotted by the brand, but I can't think of a watch they have made in this century that doesn't irritate me in some way or another. Even their older stuff is undermined by the intimate links with Dent and the fact that you can still pick up a decent old Dent with change from a grand while old real Breguet start at the cost of a northern house. Rolex, there are few older sports models I don't like, while the brand need to be publicly whipped.
    Last edited by M4tt; 27th March 2022 at 10:13.

Those Swatch Omega things. God, I want the Mars and Sun ones so badly, I NEED them. I need to wear them once and then leave them alone and unloved in a box until the batteries died and leak.

I'd never wear the f**king things, I'd look at them once and immediately regret it.

Probably the next watch I buy as I do tend to fall into the trap of revisiting former watches.

First up is my Rolex 5512, why mine you ask. Because I did all the due diligence and searched the planet for the right example and it had to be from someone approved by the Rolex community. Eventually I found one and bought it from Exotic Watches in Madrid and it is a stunner, a 1978 Mark 3 Lollypop Maxi Dial, right at the end of the 5512 run.

I then sold the watch on in a cash and trade deal only to buy the watch back again in another cash and trade deal perhaps two years later. It felt like my watch had come home. Did I keep it, no off it went again to the current owner who after owning it for a few years is willing to sell it back to me, but I have to question the sanity of it all. Would it be any different this time, will I keep it or more likely would I just end up selling it and probably losing money like I always seem to. I am good at finding watches and buying them, but not so good at keeping them or at least getting my money back.

If I don’t buy that a whole host of favourite watches come into contention, a Rolex SD 16600, a Speedmaster Moon phase or a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms all of which I have owned more than once and the eventual outcome of any purchase seems fairly predictable.

Easy for me. Almost any version of the MM300 (I REALLY want another, even though I know I actually don't as I've already bought & sold about 9 of them); and a Speedy (again, I only sell them as soon as I buy them, and I've had at least half a dozen of one type or another). Rank stupidity really.

For me it would be a Rolex JC Deepsea. Something about the heft and the technology makes me want it so bad. But I also know the moment I strap it on I'm going to hate how heavy it makes my arm feel during the day. Perhaps one day...

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    I have this with Doxas. Wanted one for as long as I can remember. Spend ages looking at them in SC. Real burning desire for one…despite knowing that, as sure as God made little apples, I would regret it ten seconds after it arrived, I won’t wear it and it’ll be up for sale again within a week.

I've fancied an orange Doxa for a while and it's not as if they wildly expensive but buying a Seestern has pretty much cured me - I think.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

I know this feeling well. The Omega Constellation Manhattan. Everything I dislike in a watch, and yet it calls to me. But experience has taught me enough judgement to know that it's an urge best left unfulfilled. Because, after all, it's everything I dislike in a watch.

Ω Z-33

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Nice looking bezel and dial but do the lugs look a little longish perhaps?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Really want a TT Daytona, but I'm not sure I will if I get one.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Tudor pelagos, or basically anything Tudor to be honest, I've had 5 pelagos's. Look great on everyone else and in shop windows, but on me they just look dull....

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Regardless of the price which I can’t afford and I don’t really want one even at rrp, I’d love to have access to a full gold submariner just in case the occasion needed an 18k diver.

Master
    Like moths to a flame 😂

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Regardless of the price which I can’t afford and I don’t really want one even at rrp, I’d love to have access to a full gold submariner just in case the occasion needed an 18k diver.
    Whatever that occasion is, and nothing springs to mind, I’d very much like to be invited.

Tudor Black Bay 58. I’m always drawn to the symmetry and perfect proportions and have tried one on a few times in shops over the last few years. But then I start thinking about all the rose gold everywhere, the red arrow and the rivets and know I’d sell it within weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Full gold watch is one for me too. Could be a Sub, Aqua Terra, Overseas, Day-Date, Speedmaster etc, but something solid gold with the bracelet.

Money aside, I know I want one because they're aesthetically excellent and an aspirational piece, but I also know I'd probably hate owning one because they're too expensive to wear worry-free and would look too flashy on me.

Master
    Tudor black bay chrono or that reissue Porsche chrono. A Cartier Santos.

I’m an IWC fan first and foremost, so Breitling should be totally off the menu but there’s something about the ani-digi’s that I completely adore… I think it’s their individuality in horological terms and technical nature.

I covet the ani digi quartz movement more than any of the recent ‘in house’ movements.
    Last edited by thegobetween; 27th March 2022 at 19:40.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Full gold watch is one for me too. Could be a Sub, Aqua Terra, Overseas, Day-Date, Speedmaster etc, but something solid gold with the bracelet.

Money aside, I know I want one because they're aesthetically excellent and an aspirational piece, but I also know I'd probably hate owning one because they're too expensive to wear worry-free and would look too flashy on me.
    Noticed Lance Armstrong with a gold SkyDweller recently. In the Florida sun it looked great but in Mcr maybe less so.

Nature makes little apples. Just saying ;)

I'm like you OP with Doxa.

Apprentice
    I’ve had the same thoughts and feelings about a Doxa as the OP.

Go through spells where I’m ready to go for it then change my mind but something about them draws me towards that though of just get one and see and what’s the worst that can happen.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Nice looking bezel and dial but do the lugs look a little longish perhaps?
    Agree...and I'm assuming it's an "office" GMT where you end up adjusting the GMT hand? About as much use as a chocolate teapot and, in my opinion, the equivalent of one of those pretend chronographs where the subdial is painted on for show!

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Nature makes little apples. Just saying ;)

I'm like you OP with Doxa.
    Not just me then! Btw, did my DM get through the ether?

I really want a white bezel, white dial dive watch. The doxa sub200, the captain cook (the version without diamantés), the bathyscaphe. They all look great

In truth, I know I’d feel too self conscious about wearing a watch which is broadly marketed as a woman’s watch. You never know though, maybe one day I’ll grow up and just enjoy it.

Maybe the planet ocean would tip me over… (not my photo)

I’ll obsess over a particular watch for months. Make the decision to buy one as soon as it appears on sc. And then when one does appear I’ll dither and dither until someone else buys it

Quote Originally Posted by snedboy View Post
    I’ll obsess over a particular watch for months. Make the decision to buy one as soon as it appears on sc. And then when one does appear I’ll dither and dither until someone else buys it
    I'm a SC ditherer. There will be a watch that hasn't gone for days and I think to myself "I'll just sleep on it one more night", then it sells and I kick myself!

I'm thinking about buying a Tudor BB GMT. I had one and sold it because it was too clunky in terms of profile and size, but because I can't find an alternative GMT I'm thinking about buying another.

I just know after a week I will not be satisfied for exactly the same reasons as before!
    Last edited by Christian; 27th March 2022 at 23:47.

Blog Entries
    Probably the Omega X-33 MK2. I’m on my third of these. Bought and sold two or three(?) beforehand. And now this one sits in the watch box. Hardly wear it. But I think it’s an amazing piece of tech.

Mad.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Probably the Omega X-33 MK2. I’m on my third of these. Bought and sold two or three(?) beforehand. And now this one sits in the watch box. Hardly wear it. But I think it’s an amazing piece of tech.

Mad.
    As mad as me buying another one recently, to keep as “spare”. I do like this watch. The Skywalker seems a little too wide, the Z-33 more than a little too high, and both have negative displays which I find hard to read. The X-33 Gen 2 is the Goldilocks version.

But I still hanker after that mad Z-33…

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    But I still hanker after that mad Z-33…
    totally

I've loved these for ages but I know I'd probably only wear it once for a fancy meal or something, and never again!

Sent using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    I've loved these for ages but I know I'd probably only wear it once for a fancy meal or something, and never again!

Sent using Tapatalk
    I've had the black face conquest, the white face 40mm and the 40mm chrono conquest and flipped them all. Black face 36mm was the dressiest and least versaltile in my opinion...it's not something that goes with casual. Currently got the Flagship Heritage which is a similarly vintage styled piece but seems to work better with casual.

Last edited by Christian; 28th March 2022 at 11:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I've had the black face conquest, the white face 40mm and the 40mm chrono conquest and flipped them all. Black face 36mm was the dressiest and least versaltile in my opinion...it's not something that goes with casual. Currently got the Flagship Heritage which is a similarly vintage styled piece but seems to work better with casual.

Nice. I do also like the white/cream dial, and as you say it is certainly more versatile than the smaller black dial version. However for me it would be too close to my Bambino small seconds

Sent using Tapatalk

IWC Big Pilot. A magnificent watch that I love in the flesh and greatly admire. Then I think that it isn’t the easiest wearer due to size, and unless you get it at a very keen price it loses money hand over fist.

Rolex Daytona in RG with chocolate dial on Oysterflex. Guilty pleasure, but just too out there, not withstanding the money thing.

If I came into a lot of money that would over-rule my normal checks and balances though!

D

Glycine Airman, I have had 2 and both sold but every time I see one for sale I want it, dont know why but they attract me in..

Bremont MBii for me, craved one , sourced one , bought it , flipped it not just once but twice

I really like this one but don’t need a chrono, I don’t do polished and I like a bit of lume. Oh and I don’t like crocodile/alligator straps

It isn’t ‘me’ in the slightest

So far I’ve been sensible

Craftsman
    every watch that has ever been hard to get.

Master
    White gold sub with the blue bezel. Ignoring the fact i cant afford it, I love it but i know it feel too heavy for me.

Master
    Anything more than 43mm. I'd love another King Samurai, but TOO BIG!

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post

Just purchased 3 Doxa’s within 2 weeks. Absolutely loving them.

A Franck Muller…

One day I know it’s going to happen

Journeyman
    I also love the idea of a full gold watch. The new Speedmaster really appeals as does a yellow gold Sub but I tried one on and it looked absolutely ridiculous on my wrist and I know I’d never wear it. I don’t think I can justify the price either. Still like the idea though- bizarre hobby!

The Triton Subphotique, I've looked at the one on sc a dozen times, I can't afford it, I don't really like the case shape and I know it won't suit my wrist but I want it knowing the second it arrived I'd hate it.

Blog Entries
    One of these!

Really want it but cost prohibitive

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think Seiko Willards have amongst the ugliest cases on the planet. But I'm strangely drawn to the green Willard on SC - the colour is gorgeous!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

The original question is some silly gibberish. If I want a watch, I want one and if I don’t want it, I don’t want it.
    No such thing as I want it but don’t really want it.
    The replies are interesting but are more along the lines of why people are drawn to some watch though it has some obvious feature(s) that they don’t normally care about.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No, there are watches that I want but dont want, so I understand the question.

I can't even begin to say how many watches I've REALLY wanted, bought, then realised I didn't actually want them after all. In fact, I generally only buy watches that I REALLY want - my sales corner selling history will tell you the rest!